Games presented like a movie.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

I recently discovered the Injustice and Mortal Kombat campaign stories and really like how they are basically 2-3 hour movies with gameplay mixed in. It reminded me of games like Asura's Wrath, or LA Noir. I got to thinking, and was curious to know of other games that pull off that feel/design. The ones listed above are the only ones that come to mind for me. What are your thoughts on them?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

Well, the Remedy games are like TV shows, especially Alan Wake. Metal Gear Solid 4 is broken up into chapters and has a similar feeling. I suppose Quantic Dream games are very much like movies. Life is Strange, Until Dawn, that kinda stuff.

I quite enjoyed Inside. That felt like a cinematic ride of sorts. Hotline Miami? That felt to me like a movie. Probably not quite what you're looking for.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 32

Mafia 3 does some great things with this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy) was effectively pitched as an interactive movie. The tutorial has you on a set moving a mannequin.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 5 was short enough that it always felt like an interactive movie to me. Heavenly Sword was short & sweet in the same way.

I'm also thinking back on companion games to movies like 'A Bugs Life'. They might not be the best games ever made, but i had a lot of fun playing them & getting the gist of the movies through cutscenes.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cikame

It might just be because i'm thinking of Band of Brothers, but i always thought the Brothers in Arms games felt kind of TV series-y, with some downtime cutscenes dotted around before the next episode/level opens up into a firefight, then Hell's Highway got heavy with some psychological stuff... man i need to play that game again.

Looking at the cutscenes just now it totally does the "previously on..." thing.

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm currently playing Remedy's Quantum Break, which is presented as a series. After each act, a 20 minute TV episode of the game will play based on the choices you made. It's a nice touch and so far I've found the story quite interesting. Alan Wake uses this TV series-like formula as well.

I think any Metal Gear Solid game can also be in this category, since the amount of cutscene time in those games is insane.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Premonition. It's isn't necessarily structured precisely like a TV show, but you do get the investigation summary and it's pretty much a love letter to Twin Peaks.

Loading Video...

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

House of the Dead: Overkill is presented as a grindhouse movie, and while I've never played it, I seem to recall Strange Brigade having a pulp adventure movie thing going in the quick look?

JuanTopo89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Order 1866 comes to mind, highly cinematic and with amazing graphics. It was hated at the time for lack of game-play but i liked it.

Avatar image for unbelievablepad
UnbelievablePad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think GTA V is VERY movie like. The intro, the narratives, the whole tone, the character development, the story progression. It’s a great game... or movie.

fasterblaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon's Lair, Time Gal, and Road Blaster

klobodnf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

walking dead the game, heavy rain, her story, late shift

bighatpaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Uncharted comes to mind as a movie style game to me.

validvalueJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isnt exactly like a movie but I got a very movie like, rollercoaster feel from BioShock Infinite with the theme parks, massive blimps, attractions and the skylines.