Games presented like a movie.

#1 Posted by crusader8463 (14803 posts) -

I recently discovered the Injustice and Mortal Kombat campaign stories and really like how they are basically 2-3 hour movies with gameplay mixed in. It reminded me of games like Asura's Wrath, or LA Noir. I got to thinking, and was curious to know of other games that pull off that feel/design. The ones listed above are the only ones that come to mind for me. What are your thoughts on them?

#2 Edited by liquiddragon (3526 posts) -

Well, the Remedy games are like TV shows, especially Alan Wake. Metal Gear Solid 4 is broken up into chapters and has a similar feeling. I suppose Quantic Dream games are very much like movies. Life is Strange, Until Dawn, that kinda stuff.

I quite enjoyed Inside. That felt like a cinematic ride of sorts. Hotline Miami? That felt to me like a movie. Probably not quite what you're looking for.

#3 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8931 posts) -

Mafia 3 does some great things with this.

#4 Posted by Shindig (4963 posts) -

Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy) was effectively pitched as an interactive movie. The tutorial has you on a set moving a mannequin.

#5 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4501 posts) -

Resident Evil 5 was short enough that it always felt like an interactive movie to me. Heavenly Sword was short & sweet in the same way.

I'm also thinking back on companion games to movies like 'A Bugs Life'. They might not be the best games ever made, but i had a lot of fun playing them & getting the gist of the movies through cutscenes.

#6 Edited by cikame (2911 posts) -

It might just be because i'm thinking of Band of Brothers, but i always thought the Brothers in Arms games felt kind of TV series-y, with some downtime cutscenes dotted around before the next episode/level opens up into a firefight, then Hell's Highway got heavy with some psychological stuff... man i need to play that game again.

Looking at the cutscenes just now it totally does the "previously on..." thing.

#7 Posted by jrodrz (234 posts) -

I'm currently playing Remedy's Quantum Break, which is presented as a series. After each act, a 20 minute TV episode of the game will play based on the choices you made. It's a nice touch and so far I've found the story quite interesting. Alan Wake uses this TV series-like formula as well.

I think any Metal Gear Solid game can also be in this category, since the amount of cutscene time in those games is insane.

#8 Posted by TheRealTurk (576 posts) -

Deadly Premonition. It's isn't necessarily structured precisely like a TV show, but you do get the investigation summary and it's pretty much a love letter to Twin Peaks.

Loading Video...

#9 Posted by PeezMachine (477 posts) -

House of the Dead: Overkill is presented as a grindhouse movie, and while I've never played it, I seem to recall Strange Brigade having a pulp adventure movie thing going in the quick look?

#10 Posted by JuanTopo89 (12 posts) -

The Order 1866 comes to mind, highly cinematic and with amazing graphics. It was hated at the time for lack of game-play but i liked it.

Avatar image for unbelievablepad
#11 Posted by UnbelievablePad (18 posts) -

I think GTA V is VERY movie like. The intro, the narratives, the whole tone, the character development, the story progression. It’s a great game... or movie.

#12 Posted by fasterblaster (16 posts) -

Dragon's Lair, Time Gal, and Road Blaster

#13 Posted by klobodnf (1 posts) -

walking dead the game, heavy rain, her story, late shift

#14 Posted by bighatpaul (2 posts) -

Uncharted comes to mind as a movie style game to me.

#15 Posted by validvalueJ (5 posts) -

This isnt exactly like a movie but I got a very movie like, rollercoaster feel from BioShock Infinite with the theme parks, massive blimps, attractions and the skylines.