Games that had amazing trailers/reveals but turned out to be mediocre/bad

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

Does any come to mind?

I realise this is subjective, but what do you think?

I was thinking of Aliens: Colonial Marines or maybe Dead Island.

No Caption Provided
Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Dawn of War 3's teaser trailer is the shining example of this for me. It's one of the best trailers ever made in my opinion, and I didn't play the game because it was so universally panned.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

For some reason, The Order: 1866 is sticking out. It might have been the excitement of the Sony press conference that year but I remember people getting really hyped for the CG trailer of that one.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@superharman: It was "in engine" (whatever that means), and for what it's worth, pretty much everyone agreed that in terms of pure visual fidelity, the game was stunning. The problem is that the whole budget went into its looks so the game ended up being very short and not all that fun to play.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I'm one of the few people who liked The Order 1866 and don't see what the big outrage was about. No it didn't do anything innovative in the gameplay department, but it wasn't bad at all. And the graphics, which they hyped as the main thing to get excited about, delivered on its promise. Even now, those graphics hold up and look better than a lot of so-called current-gen games. I say a PS5 update should happen and a sequel, even though It likely won't. It being too short with a cliffhanger ending are the only downsides to that game.

One recent example would be the GTA Trilogy: Definitive Edition. The trailers made it seem like Rock Star put all this work into updating the classic games and making them modern. A lot of people were excited. Then it was released, and it was a buggy, ugly, lazy, cash grab. Then Rockstar took it further by going after the modders who were doing a better job updating the games, and tried to remove the original games from being sold. It's no wonder it won GB's prestigious award for Most Disappointing Game of 2021.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I mean, in recent-ish memory, No Man's Sky is probably up there. That first trailer was hype as hell, and ultimately I can understand why the initial release of the game was somewhat mediocre compared to people's expectations. It sounds like the game got there eventually after years of updates.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: This was exactly the one I was going to mention. I didn't even play the game but it looks decidedly meh.

I was one of the people who enjoyed FFXV, but that first big reveal trailer has to be mentioned, since it featured setpieces, main-characters, story beats and cutscenes that were all cut or completely reworked for the final release. There are still people who refuse to accept that Stella will never show up in anything, or at least refuse to forgive S-E.

Another one has to be the infamous Gears of War trailer, which promised a tone that I never saw a trace of in the final game. Then again, I found Gears to be so uninteresting I never finished it.

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

90% of AAA games the last 15 years really.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking at Sony at E3 2006. The Killzone 2 reveal and, to a lesser extent, the Formula 1 Championship Edition one that had mechanical failures we still don't have in 2021.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original trailer for the Wii blew me away. Think about all the stuff you can do with that controller! Turns out, accelerometers just weren't accurate enough for most of that stuff to not be frustrating, with the exception of some Wii Sports games. Even with Motion Plus it still... kinda sucked.

MisterSims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk 2077.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say NASCAR 21: Ignition, the trailers look awesome but it turns out that this game is way too buggy for the hardcore Sim Racing standards.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I only remember some of the trailers for Tekken 4, so I'll go with that one.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

I'm looking at Sony at E3 2006. The Killzone 2 reveal and, to a lesser extent, the Formula 1 Championship Edition one that had mechanical failures we still don't have in 2021.

That Killzone 2 trailer obviously wasn't real, but the game itself was very good and the graphics were some of the best of that generation.

prl412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By prl412

Resident Evil Outbreak

Loading Video...

Played the game less than 30 minutes before giving up.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Speaking of trailers that weren't real, the original Watch_Dogs definitely counts. Those E3 gameplay trailers showed incredible graphic effects that made people very excited about getting an Xbox One and PlayStation 4, convincing many people this is what next-gen graphics would look like.

Then the game came out and was hugely downgraded in its presentation. This upset lot of people, causing many side by side comparison videos, showing the E3 trailer graphics and the ultra setting graphics of the official release versions. Then some modders discovered that the E3 graphic settings were in the game files, but sealed off from being used. The backlash was so huge, that future trailers by developers made clear if the person was watching actual gameplay footage or not. All of this overshadowed the fact the game itself was a decent sandbox game with a hacker twist.