• 68 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

What are some games that you think do a good job creating that winter feeling?

Here are a few of my favorites.

Indigo Prophecy I really like the snowy levels in this game and how the characters complain how cold they are at times.

No Caption Provided

Silent Hill shattered memories walking around town at night with just your flashlight and hearing the wind.

No Caption Provided

Max Payne I like how when you turn on a tv in the game the news talk about the winter storm.

No Caption Provided

GTAV North Yankton although your not in there long I love atmosphere I always wish they did SP DLC for this part of the game.

No Caption Provided

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

I was gonna say Max Payne. Been replaying that and I still think it holds up. Uncharted 2? Rise of the Tomb Raider? Haven't played that one. For some reason Virtua Fighter 4 came to mind. Remember the snow level being really impressive. How about Lost Planet? The snow and smoke particle effects 'caused by explosions were mind-blowing.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Skellige Isles from The Witcher 3. I loved this area, though I had to rush through it just to complete the main quests. When I eventually replay Wild Hunt I hope to explore everything on the map.

No Caption Provided

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

As was mentioned above, Skellige Isles from The Witcher 3. Also, Skyrim. All of Skyrim. The whole thing is great to play in winter, somewhere between napping and listening to Agalloch's discography.

I hear that I Am Setsuna game has a lot of snow in it, but I haven't played so I don't know how "wintery" that game feels.

Icewind Dale, perhaps, but unfortunately that's not a game I've played much of either.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Skellige Isles from The Witcher 3. I loved this area, though I had to rush through it just to complete the main quests. When I eventually replay Wild Hunt I hope to explore everything on the map.

Kinda surprised you didn't say MGS. It's a long, cold night in Alaska's Fox Islands.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I actually just finished replaying Max Payne again the other day! The snowstorm that acts as the backdrop of that game is used so well; It adds atmosphere to the game, it's a strong metaphor for a lot of what's going on both with Max and also the Norse mythology aspects of the story, like Ragnarok is unfolding as Max brings chaos upon everything. It also does serve as a nice explanation as to why innocent bystanders aren't likely to end up involved in all the carnage, as the blizzard is keeping them off the streets.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft has some pretty amazing snowy zones. I'm a sucker for good snowy footprints and sound effects.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

MGS did cold very well! You could even catch one :)

Uncharted 2 had a great snow area I think, and it was buoyed by a nice winter jacket. Definitely, I am sucker for winter gear.

Assassin's Creed 3 has among the best snow implementation ever, with Connor realistically trudging through deep snow. Very cool stuff!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Say what you will about the game, but The Division really nailed the urban winter atmosphere.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim and The Banner Saga.

I love listening to The Banner Saga soundtrack over the winter.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mafia II has a nice opening.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of surprised The Long Dark hasn't come up yet, but I guess technically it hasn't been fully released (they've been beta-ing for a while while trying to build a proper Story mode).

Say what you will about the game, but The Division really nailed the urban winter atmosphere.

Agreed. The Times Square horde mode-ish level during a whiteout level blizzard was fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

I actually just finished replaying Max Payne again the other day! The snowstorm that acts as the backdrop of that game is used so well; It adds atmosphere to the game, it's a strong metaphor for a lot of what's going on both with Max and also the Norse mythology aspects of the story, like Ragnarok is unfolding as Max brings chaos upon everything. It also does serve as a nice explanation as to why innocent bystanders aren't likely to end up involved in all the carnage, as the blizzard is keeping them off the streets.

Yes great points I love Max's Metaphors and just over all the blizzard atmosphere.

@ll_exile_ll said:

I agree I was thinking of adding this one they did a fantastic job with the snow effects and the game looks really nice especially at night with the Christmas lights.

@wynnduffy said:

Mafia II has a nice opening.

Yeah this a good one and having Dean Martin's Let it Snow song playing in the background was a nice touch.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Rise of the Tomb Raider has some very cold-looking environments in the early going

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@jec03: There's a game called Little Inferno that's rather lovely and warm by the fire during winter like feel to the atmosphere. It also has surpisingly captivating yet subtle world building.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Winter =/= a cold part of the planet, else Cryostasis would be my answer.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Road Not Taken

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always like World of Warcraft's snowy areas: Winterspring, Northrend, Dun Morogh etc. I think Skyrim takes the cake, however.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Forza Horizon 3 Blizzard DLC. Has some of the thickest blizzard I've seen in a game and it lets to drive a Lamborghini on a frozen lake, which goes exactly as well as you would expect it to.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't starve. The spring is nice but those first 1-2 winters is the most stressful thing gameplay wise. But the look is great as animals change and there's a blue hue over everything during the snow.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thesquarepear
DocHarrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I agree wholeheartedly here. The winter section is amazing. I also sorta pushed through it a lot faster than I did the first 1/3 of the game as I had been sitting on it so long. But I'm hoping to go back through it and do more of the side events.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#24  Edited By MikeLemmer

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves

It's set in the remote woods of 1858 Canada, and the entire game takes place in the 3 weeks leading to Christmas. Naturally, it's snowy and isolated as hell.

No Caption Provided

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal Crossing. In winter.

Persona 4: Golden, after new years.

Parasite eve. Really enjoyed the new york-christmas backdrop for that game.

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kosayn

The intro of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is pretty lean compared to these others, but it very quickly sketches what winter is like to a kid.

Also, tactical snowball fight as a tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s1DDt7a9v8

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cornfed40

Year Walk on iOS

Also, the winter semester in Bully, I liked that one alot

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Humanity

That Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 ice climbing segment and subsequent snowmobile getaway were pretty cool.

Best ice climbing in the biz
Best ice climbing in the biz

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Yeah, Skyrim and Uncharted 2 are the big ones I go back to. Also the Puzzle Agent games.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By void

Hitman series have had some pretty good winter missions overall. The one with the ninja snipers in Hitman 2 or the St Petersburg mission also from 2, the one with the snow blizzard from Contracts, the christmas party from Blood Money, and Hokkaido from 2016.

Loading Video...

Otherwise I would probably say Tomb Raider 2013/Rise of the Tomb Raider, or the winter mission from Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Last of Us has some good winter sections. Extra points for it being set in the woods.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hokkaido part of Yakuza 5 does a pretty good job.

No Caption Provided

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#33  Edited By Slag

Batman: Arkham Origins

No Caption Provided

I also remember Parasite Eve having great christmas setpieces, the whole game was set in NYC around Christmas to New Year's

and kinda cheating but the SSX series

No Caption Provided

CornRPeople2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern Warfare 2's ice climbing sequence is an awesome pick, but I'd lean towards Winter in The Last of Us and the collapsed train scene in Uncharted 2.

CornRPeople2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: N-ice Pick! That is all, and yes, this came to me after I submitted my post above. And now, I make my leave

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First that came to mind is I Am Setsuna. The winter and snow is more than just the games setting and look. It's the games entire mood, atmosphere and focus. It seems almost cliche to say this, but it is basically another character. I liked it a lot and the way it looked.

The other that came to mine is The Painted World in Dark Souls. The entire games feel just instantly changes the second you go in and heck if it isn't beautiful.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freedom Fighters is one the games that comes to mind for me. The seasons pass as the story progresses, and winter shows up in full force.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until Dawn does a great job of capturing a winter night in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By stonyman65

The Division

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Arkham origins, stardew valley (when the seasons change to winter), and Skyrim come to mind for me.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I Am Setsuna definitely comes to mind first for me.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The OST is very beautiful as well and well worth checking out.

Loading Video...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 sweep  Moderator

The last part of Journey is cold as anything

No Caption Provided

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Whoa, jinx. The first thing I thought of was also Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit. Two games I thought of afterwards is the winter section in Undertale, and Lost Constellation. You even build snowmen in Lost Constellation!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The Last of Us does this very well at some point.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

No Caption Provided

The Last of Us did the cold aspect of winter really well and that game overall has really great sound design. I remember the footprints being really crisp when you walked through the woods or on the snow. All of that stuff really added to the atmosphere of that chapter.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ice Climbers!

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I do this every year, for a weekend in December.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

When I think of good Winter atmospheres I think of Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Batman: Arkham Origins and King's ending in Tekken 2!

Loading Video...

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cthomer5000

The Last of Us for sure. The deer hunting sequence specifically that kicks off winter is burned into my memory.

I enjoyed winter in Bully as well.