• 183 results
Mattca123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mattca123

I see review after review for games that are mediocre or downright horrible with 8, 9, and 10 ratings and vice versa, great games with bad rep. I'm sure someone can relate, curious to see if im not the only one:

Here is a list of games that i think are horrible that are rated high (not in any particular order):

Shovel Knight: gosh this game is horrible, i understand the whole platformer appreciation which i appreciate myself, but this game is HORRIBLE

Metal Gear Solid V: my gosh this game is bad, i wanted a linear metal gear game of old and instead its a repetitive open world lost interest pretty quick

Assassins Creed Series: i still remember wanting part 1 so bad a decade a go or so. I played for about 4 hours or so and then realized the game wasnt worth my time. Just the same ole crap. I bought the new origins and it is an absolutely beautiful game on an xbox one x and 4k tv though

Witcher 3: I bought this game used and put a couple hours into it and realized this is basically a long movie game. Its too bad really because i like the setting of games like this. But when i get off from work i want to play a game not watch a 60 hour movie

Mass effect Series: too lazy to complain about this one, none of them are good to me

Bioshock series: i bought part one and played a bit of part 3, just dont get these games. Great to look at though

Games with average or bad rep that i think are bad ass (not in any particular order)

New Super Mario Bros 2: this game is so good to me it cannibalizes all my other 3ds games. Downright perfect. Yea its just an embellishment of the old mario games. But would you want anything else? Especially on a pick up and go handheld device. Ive beaten the game about 5 times and have no problem playing random levels on it

Resident evil 5: mercenary mode on this game is pretty much all i do when i play this game and although its a decade old., the remaster on my xbox one is phenomenal. Not a bad scoring game by any means, but it is definitely an amazing game even after all this time

Formula 1 2017: the best racing game ive ever played in my life, esp on a playseat and wheel, oh and with a loud af surround sound (use the 2004 ferrari)

Oblivion: i remember putting 70 hours into this game. I recently saw a top 50 or so rpgs on game informer and this wasnt even in the list (neither was legend of dragoon). What is the world coming to. I recall perfectly this game and then i bought skyrim when it came out. I put about 30 or so hours into Skyrim,. They were pretty much the same game, but i liked oblivion better

Legend of Dragoon: Why was this game inferior than ff7 again? I remember playing both games a kid and LOD was the real deal. The characters. the story., and the combat style vs ff7.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fortnite got old for me after a few matches i only play because that is what my friends are playing. Basically a chatroom for me

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS V

Witcher III

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo
Final Fantasy 7
Horizon: Zero Dawn
World of Warcraft (the only mmo i fell asleep while playing due to bordom)
Uncharted 2 and 3 (characters are great)
Shadow of Mordor
Street Fighter (i love fighting games, i just dislike everything about SF)
Battlefield 1
Destiny 1 and 2, though for as popular as they are their shortcomings are well documented
Absolver, i wanted to love it but it has so little content, martial arts Dark Souls with easy co-op? Sign me up, unfortunately the focus wasn't on that aspect of the game, and i'm not sold on the pvp which despite having a small surge in popularity now only has a peak of 100 players on Steam.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

The entire modern military shooter genre, really.

L.A. Noire

Crysis

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I despise Uncharted 4

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow of Mordor is the one that I just really, really don't get. I like LOTR a lot but Mordor is just such a terribly bland grey and brown nothing of a setting and the story doesn't have anything going for it. By the time it came out we already had Arkham Asylum, City, and Origins so the (nearly identical) Batman combat wasn't new or exciting. The nemesis system is interesting...but not interesting enough to save it from everything else. It's certainly not an unplayable bad or broken game, but for a game that got so much praise and awards ("Most Innovative", "Outstanding Character", "Most Surprising Game") I would expect it to be more interesting than those fake games they use on bad tv shows.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Breath of the Wild

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Portal

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot said:

Shadow of Mordor is the one that I just really, really don't get. I like LOTR a lot but Mordor is just such a terribly bland grey and brown nothing of a setting and the story doesn't have anything going for it. By the time it came out we already had Arkham Asylum, City, and Origins so the (nearly identical) Batman combat wasn't new or exciting. The nemesis system is interesting...but not interesting enough to save it from everything else. It's certainly not an unplayable bad or broken game, but for a game that got so much praise and awards ("Most Innovative", "Outstanding Character", "Most Surprising Game")

I like Shadow of Mordor a lot, but what kind of insane people are the judges at the D.I.C.E. awards that they considered Talion to be an Outstanding Character. The story in that game is bad and Talion could at best be described as bland. He wouldn`t even win the "Best Troy Baker Character" award that year since he would have been easily beaten by both Pagan Min from Far cry 4 and Rhys from Tales from the Borderlands.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ALavaPenguin

Final Fantasy 7... That game is everything that went wrong with that series to me. I am a FF5 guy but pretty much like everything before FF7 in the main series. I legit think that game is utter trash along with MUCH [not all, even with it's myriad of flaws FFXI is still my favorite game of all time.... but that is a bit diff it being an MMO so I don't count it in the same way... FFXI was basically a FF5 MMO anyway...] that came after it. I mean this with respect but yeah this is kinda the point of the topic maybe to be a touch harsh lol

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I wasn't a very big fan of Night in the Wood. Some of the characters are fun and there are individual moments that are good but the overall narritive just didn't come together for me and the tone of the writing really bugged me in places. The cosmic-horror wrapper the story is covered in is also completely unnessesary and ultamately adds nothing and makes the story weaker in my opinion.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age: Inquisition. I really wanted to like this game, but the combat to me was just explodey-fireworks-everywhere-all-the-time chaos. I wanted something slower and more methodical, like Baldur's Gate, where I could see what was going on and where I went wrong. Maybe there is a deep combat system under the hood, but the game didn't go out of its way to explain it. Also, I really don't want to be The Chosen One *again*, and there were all sorts of Game of Thrones-style political intrigue that was not earned since you're just thrown in the middle of it with no build-up. Please, game, just let me explore your world - I don't need to command an army or save the planet. The Witcher games are much better about this.

@pkb_noitwont How can you not like Portal?

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never enjoyed playing Ocarina of Time. Great game, love the soundtrack, but the 3D controls felt gross even when it first released.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Nier: Automata. I just feel like if the story doesn't grab you, the game has nothing to offer. It's not a bad game and I will even admit I was into it for a while. Route A had me hooked for a bit, then I got to B and wanted to kill myself, then the beginning of C brought me right back, then about an hour into that route it's right back to the status quo and I just couldn't bring myself to care anymore.

I've mentioned this before, but I just happened to playthru Bayonetta 2 and Revengeance again because I was in the mood not too long before starting this and the gameplay strengths of both those games only highlight the flaws in the gameplay of Nier. It's "fine," sure, or else I don't think the game as a whole would be getting the praise it does, but again, my personal problem is that the game seemingly bets everything on it's story and if you don't buy into it, what do you have left? An ultimately forgettable action rpg and that's what Nier is to me.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Fortnite, Overwatch, Dota 2, ARK, Destiny.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Mass Effect 2. I really enjoyed the original, mainly because of its RPG elements. 2 was just a 3rd person shooter that did away with all the parts I enjoyed most.

Bioshock 3. It's so far up its own arse about the laziest quasi-philosophical paradoxes. It's the Inception of videogames, patting itself on the back for how clever it is when it's really rather trite.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hnke

I think Skyrim is a bad game. It's like they took Oblivion, added snow, made the voice acting twice as bad, and then waited five years, without realizing how much video games had evolved in the meantime. One of the most boring and stilted games I have ever played. Don't even get me started on that terrible foam-sword first-person melee combat.

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyper Light Drifter was something I had to power through that everyone else seemed to like a lot. Something about the way it controlled made it impossible for me to enjoy it. It's a very well made game but I couldn't get into it.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By nutter

@mattca123: I think I hate your taste in games. :P

Here’s the real test. I think Until Dawn is an absolute piece of trash:

- Terrible fiction and writing

- Bad jump scares that don’t elicit ANY response

- Completely busted game mechanics (holding the controller still)

- A lack of reason to care a out any characters

- Zero scares

If you disagree, you can slap me with a glove. We can officially become enemies and engage each other in forum battle. I eagerly await your response.

EDIT: Super Mario Bros 2 is a top-tier Mario game...reskin of non-Mario game be damned.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed Origins. I mean, I don't hate it, but I don't really get some of the bombcrew's praise of it being so different than past AC games. In a lot of ways its a step down in terms of combat and the improvements and additions they made aren't really enough to relieve me of the AC fatigue that has set in since 2. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it really is just another open world Ubi game with tons of busy work and map icons to reach.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: I was going to question the term despise, but it really is the worst Uncharted game by a good measure.

Too long, too serious, not a great use of time. I think they put too much The Last of Us into a game that should be been a lighter and rompier adventure.

I don’t hate it, but I have no interest in playing it again (1-3 are still fun to revisit).

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter said:

@mattca123: I think I hate your taste in games. :P

Here’s the real test. I think Until Dawn is an absolute piece of trash:

- Terrible fiction and writing

- Bad jump scares that don’t elicit ANY response

- Completely busted game mechanics (holding the controller still)

- A lack of reason to care a out any characters

- Zero scares

If you disagree, you can slap me with a glove. We can officially become enemies and engage each other in forum battle. I eagerly await your response.

EDIT: Super Mario Bros 2 is a top-tier Mario game...reskin of non-Mario game be damned.

I don't disagree with you, but some of the things you listed are the reasons a lot of people like the game. The way it shamelessly copies the worst of the contemporary teen horror genre and makes a video game out of it is probably it's main hook. The David Cage-esque mechanics do make it a little bit less enjoyable though.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hatking

Doom (2016). It's a fun, but monotonous and pretty shallow shooter that comes off like it is proud of its anti-intellectualism. You play a big dumb brute that literally starts the game by punching a computer for trying to convey context or narrative. I get it, it's suppose to be a fun, dumb romp through hell. It's really well built from a technical standpoint, but otherwise frustratingly shallow. It also has painfully annoying "hey remember" Easter eggs ramrodded into every level that feel partially like they saw and didn't get what made similar things work in Wolfenstein: The New Order.

I fucking can't stand things that try to make people feel bad for wanting something thoughtful out of their art. The smug air of patronizing immaturity here rubs me the wrong way. And before anybody tells me all the good bits are hidden in the encyclopedia buried in the menus, that's also part of my problem with the game.

Also, generally speaking, I prefer to talk about how good things are I like, but in this specific case Doom got a bunch of attention during award shows and such, so I don't feel too bad rattling that pedestal a touch.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, heres one that came up during a livestream chat and everyone yelled at me: Every 2D Final Fantasy game is complete trash.

You will not find a hotter take this year folks.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I feel like we get one of these threads every few months. Well, better this straightforward title than trying to parse out exactly what "overrated" and "underrated" mean to any given poster.

But, to give a perfectly frank answer, It's been a while since I've actively disliked a game that is popular in public perception (The closest thing I have is thinking Horizon is merely "okay-to-good" I enjoyed it, but I cannot identify with you people calling it anywhere near Game of the Year.) In a lot of cases, I'm not actually sure what the perception of certain games is. Like, I know Dragon Age Inquisition got pretty high review scores and even a couple of Game of the Year awards (which says a whole lot about where video games were in 2014) but whenever it's brought up on forums it seems like most people tend to share my (ambivalent to negative) opinion on it. Some of that seems like retrospective backpedaling in a post-Witcher 3 world, but I honestly don't have a great grasp of how the "gaming mainstream" even perceives that sucker.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter said:

@mems1224: I was going to question the term despise, but it really is the worst Uncharted game by a good measure.

Too long, too serious, not a great use of time. I think they put too much The Last of Us into a game that should be been a lighter and rompier adventure.

I don’t hate it, but I have no interest in playing it again (1-3 are still fun to revisit).

I guess its because its the first game I played on my PS4 and it pretty much includes everything I hate about some modern video games. It was also hyped to hell by the time I got around to it and I found it to be a pretty vapid experience.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catoasapun: Yeah, so I have ZERO attachment to contemporary teen horror. I liked the Evil Dead retelling (and love Ash vs Evil Dead). Cabin in the Woods was great...before that...I don’t even know...the first Saw?

If I’m not “in on the joke,” that’d explain it.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: I tend to media blackout on games I think I’ll be interested in, so I assumed more Uncharted, but maybe a little darker.

It was a lot more serious, pensive, slow, and just not really much of an adventure. I like a good story-focused game, but the mix felt off.

Too much kid stuff, too much intro...too laborious all around.

I remember being relieved when I got to Ireland, I think. It finally got kinda Uncharted-ish. The jeep section was fun, and that car chase was pretty great. I have some pretty good memories of swinging and shooting at one point.

There just weren’t enough of those fun, devil-may-care, Errol Flynn moments in this one.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3/4, and Skyrim.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted-series, GTA IV and V. Pubg and Fortnite.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the absolute hell is Witcher 3 a 60 hour movie game

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Every single Bethesda game. I have never enjoyed a Fallout or an Elder Scroll.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hnke said:

I think Skyrim is a bad game. It's like they took Oblivion, added snow, made the voice acting twice as bad, and then waited five years, without realizing how much video games had evolved in the meantime. One of the most boring and stilted games I have ever played. Don't even get me started on that terrible foam-swordfirst-person melee combat.

With you on this. I played the hell out of Oblivion, didn't care at all for Skyrim.

The biggest thing for me is Zelda, I've purchased several Zelda games over the years, and I've never been able to get into any them.

Brand-Old

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the Halos. I kept trying!

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Every Uncharted other than 2, Noting that I haven't played the Vita one or Lost Legacy.

I find them tedious, often frustrating and in terms of story, incredibly overrated. Playing through the fourth game solidified it for me that this is just a series that isn't for me. Why would I play an annoying game when I can just watch an entertaining film?

I'd probably have an issue with 2 if I went back to it but I found it refreshing after finishing what I thought was a pretty bad first game.

SunSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SunSpark

Undertale. I also didn't care for The Last of Us as much as a lot of people did, or Heavy Rain.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hatking:
For a while there, I thought I was the only one who felt meh on DOOM 2016. While I didn't hate the game by any metric, it never stuck with me and I bounced right off it.

As for other games... I bounce off of pretty much all of Rockstar's output, with GTA Vice City being the only game of their's that I actually finished. I also have pretty much no interest in the Fallout or Elder Scrolls games either. Those are the big ones that I can come up with off the top of my head.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assasin's Creed, gears of war, GTA IV, Dota, Uncharted

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

PUBG, DOTA, Dark Souls, Dragon Age Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 2. I played through It, I thought it was fine. Perfectly serviceable. Totally avarge.

This community voted it the best game of last gen.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 4 and Kotor are the two that stand out the most.

RE I felt was overblown and hyped. It was alright but I didn't think it was anything spectacular. Maybe it was the QTEs, maybe it was the change from Zombies to Las Plagas. Or maybe it just didn't click with me.

As far as Kotor...again, I didn't hate it but thought it was simply "ok". The story (and ending especially) was highly predictable. Combat alright. HK-47 certainly wasn't anything amazing. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

I have never liked a GTA game. It mainly has to do with the humor and writing (mainly). I played the most of Five, but even then didn't stick with it that long. Four was just garbage.

FF7. Between my enjoyment of its predecessors and the writing, I did not like this game one bit, I will leave it at that.

Nier Automata. It was not for me. At all.

Fortnite. I don't care for the way it plays. Maybe when (if?) the original version goes free to play.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most recently for me I think it's Pyre. I love a lot about it but around half way through I started to get annoyed of the general loop of the game and I just wanted to see how the story ended. They start to speed up a lot of the repeating moments later on but by then it feels like I get a short interlude with narration, then I mechanically go through a lot of same-y traveling and preparation stuff, only to get to a Rite that lasts about 2 minutes. Rinse, repeat.

I did however like the overarching story of the game and the ending was satisfying.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the Rocksteady Batman games. Sorry, but the combat system is ass.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LeStephan

@bill_mcneal said:

Fortnite. I don't care for the way it plays. Maybe when (if?) the original version goes free to play.

Yes! This! That game just FEELS awful to play imo, in a strangely similar way to dynasty warriors, it feels very weight/impactless and I really can't stand that. If action is all a game has going for it it should at least make that action feel significantly impactfull imo.

I also used to find all the post gta 2/pre gta 4 gtas nigh-unplayable. The awful controls & bad framerate alone made those ps2 games just a nightmare to play. Even back when they were new I thought they were awfully playing, visually unappealing messes which, granted, gave us freedom like no other game but why would I care about that freedom when everything I can do with it looks&feels like shit. I had fun screwing around for 30 minutes going on a rampage in each one but actually playing throught the missions trying to actually do specific stuff was nearly always infuriatingly finicky/janky. Ive come around to them since playing the xbox versions though which fix the horrid controls and even the framerate & graphics are pretty significantly improved . Having analog acceleration for driving the cars alone already makes those xbox versions unbelievably more playable.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every single JRPG ever made. I have tried many of them, old and new. I have yet to like one. There are so many reasons for my dislike: the fact that the characters are always children, the awful combat systems, the bad dialogue, the lack of voice acting or terrible English voice acting, the stories that have been told a million times, the perverse obsession with under-age girls, the ridiculously over-emotional music. I really, really do not like JRPGs. It also seems like the worst offenders are the ones that get the most praise. FF7 being the main example. Man, Final Fantasy really sucks, in my opinion.

Mario. I liked Mario when I was about 5. Then I turned 6 and the rest was history.

Half Life 2. I really liked the first game, but the 2nd one really didn't do it for me. The whole game is really dull. Dull characters, dull weapons, dull environments, dull enemies.

Portal. It's not funny in the slightest and that stupid f***ing cake song. The puzzles are great but they get boring after maybe an hour.

Fallout 3. An RPG Shooter with mediocre RPG mechanics and terrible shooting mechanics. Fallout 4 is better, but still not perfect.

Dark Souls. A really great action game that's spoiled for me with it's 'try, try again' difficulty. I think that I'd enjoy this game if I had more spare time.

Resident Evil. Couldn't get past the control scheme and camera angles.

Any Collectible Card Games (Like Hearthstone). I get collecting and playing card games in real life, but the video games are silly. One card attacks another card and it does a little animation. Why not just play a video game with actual action and animation?

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 4: I'm one of those guys who was pissed off about the dramatic departure from the earlier games. After how good REmake was I was deeply unhappy with RE4. To be fair, though, it did revolutionize third-person shooting and its effects can still be felt in TPS 'till this day, but I'm a much bigger fan of the classic REs personally.

Gone Home: Thought it was extremely boring and the story didn't particularly fascinate me.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: Never felt any emotional attachment to the characters or any investment in the story. The concept of controlling a character on each stick is cool, but everything surrounding it was uninteresting.

Skyrim: Once the hype settled down and I got to actually examining the game, I found it to be a serious downgrade. The simplification of a lot of the RPG elements (skills, armour, weapons, dialogue) turned me off some. That's not to say it's a horrible game, but it paved the way for a lot of the bad decision making of Bethesda which resulted in the even more shallow Fallout 4, which is the most negatively received RPG they've put out.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cure_optimism: Regarding Skyrim - Especially when compared to Morrowind. Yes, the gameplay in Morrowind was pretty hideous, but they should have kept the depth in its RPG elements.