• 186 results
#52 Posted by FlarePhoenix (433 posts) -

I didn't think Breath of the Wild was nearly as groundbreaking as others. That being said, I would have found it perfectly average if the Weapons Degradation hadn't made the game so much less fun to play.

#53 Edited by Teddie (2123 posts) -

The Witcher 3 is definitely the standout, because I found it to be a pretty self-defeating game. The story starts out strong, but is ruined by a padded middle and disjointed third act (and the through-line of Ciri and the Wild Hunt gets lost in there somewhere, making the impact of the latter third weak). The environment is gorgeous and well designed, but there's nothing interesting out there to find, and the movement makes traversal awkward and frustrating. Geralt is constantly depicted as a skilled swordsman, but the combat feels muddy and weightless-- hitting an enemy gives so little feedback that it doesn't feel like anything's connecting, and I remember it being a fair bit more clunky than even average PS2-era action games.

Despite all that I don't hate the game, so I can see why it gets the praise it does.

I guess I'll throw everything Naughty Dog has done post Jak series under that banner too, where I don't necessarily dislike any of it, but none of it is particularly noteworthy (outside of their technical wizardry) as far as I'm concerned.

#54 Posted by deckard (351 posts) -

Most of the ones I can think of are games that I totally respect and can see why people like them - I just can't get into them or am completely burnt out on the format

- The Witcher 3

- MGS V

- GTA V - completely done with open-world action games of this ilk

- Pretty much any turn-based RPG or strategy game - I'm never been a big fan of turn-based games, but in the last couple of years I've realized that I'm a grown-ass man and I'm probably never going to get into these at this point

- Cuphead - great to look at, never want to play it

- Fortnite/PUBG - put 20-30 hours in each, now I think I'm done with Battle Royale mode forever

- Dark Souls - not going to do homework to play a video game

- Telltale games - played a few early on, also now totally done

#56 Posted by nutter (1981 posts) -

Oh, I’ve got a good answer...Zelda.

I’ve played most Zelda games, but only ever beat 1 & 2. I probably stopped caring about/enjoying Zelda at about 10 years old.

Twilight Princess was awful. Windwaker was okay, but I quit about 5 hours in. Didn’t like the muddy N64 games and I haven’t bothered with Skyward Sword or whatever-the-Switch-one-is-called.

Actually, I probably like the vast minority of Nintendo games. I’d maybe but Zelda and 2-3 Mario games (SMB2, 64, maybe Galaxy or Odyssey) in a list of my top 500 games...probably nothing else from Nintendo would register.

So there’s my opinion. Nintendo has a mediocre track record.

#57 Edited by kadaju86 (77 posts) -

Every TES and Bethesda Fallout game: Tried a few of them, and I end up playing for like 2 hours before getting incessantly bored. Just way too little structure in those games for me to enjoy and the jank is a huge detriment for my enjoyment. If I need to spend like 5 hours modding a game to make it "good" then the developers do not deserve my money, plain and simple.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag: I have tried to get through this like 2 or 3 times and I just can't do it. It is the only mainline AC game I haven't finished. I even got through Revelations and 3, but Black Flag is a terrible AC game. Might be a decent pirate game, but not a good AC game. The game has just about every mission that everyone seem to be criticizing the AC series for (rightly so in a lot of cases too), but still it gets so much praise and I just don't get it. Also, tailing ships with vision cones can go stuff itself some place hellish.

Pretty much everything Valve has made: I got Portal for free when Steam launched on Mac way back when, and that is the only reason I would have played and finished that game. It was decent for not paying anything for it, but other than that I don't get any of the massive praise everything Valve related seems to get. Half Life I got about halfway through the first game before being bored and not wanting to keep going. While Half Life 2 I have, like Black Flag, tried to play a few times without understanding the appeal at all. Nothing about their games feel or look good, even for the time they were created, to me.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: I like the Arkham games and I like LOTR, so I should be in the perfect demographic for this game, but I found nothing of the combat or the story any good or worthwhile to get through. The combat has a floatiness (?) to it that makes me like it less than Batman and the story with the main character feels incredibly lazy which takes out any kind of enjoyment for me when neither the gameplay or story aspect has any real hooks. The nemesis system also just ended up getting incredibly boring when needing to see a bazillion small cutscenes that interrupted the combat flow each time they happened. (Which seems to be an even bigger issue in the second game so I stayed far away from that)

#58 Posted by The_Greg (536 posts) -

@kadaju86: I'm pretty much with you on the Valve stuff. I liked Half Life 1, but that was kind of before Valve became the Valve we know today.

I don't like any Assassin's Creed game at all. I see Assassin's Creed as the overplayed pop music of video games.

I really like the Elder Scrolls games, it's possibly my favourite series. I've never really been into Fallout though. I like the idea of Fallout but they never seem to execute it in a way that I can enjoy.

#59 Edited by kadaju86 (77 posts) -

@the_greg: Personally love the AC series myself, but can also understand why someone might not like it as well. My personal favorite of the series is Syndicate with 2 and Brotherhood really close behind, but Black Flag is just baffling to me in how much praise it gets even though it was a decent "shake up" of the formula when it first released.

#61 Posted by Mattca123 (40 posts) -

Some more i want to add:

Shadow of mordor: Horrible!!!!!!!!!! Graphics are good, thats about it.

GTA V: i can totally see why this game would be considered good, but i guess i need some linearity in a game. Im totally a minority view here. I just get bored of all GTA games pretty fast, yet my dumb butt still buys them when they come out.

Fallout games: I know im going to get flamed for this, but i have never liked them. Mind you i only played 3 and 4 but i think i got a feel for the gaming mechanics etc. I just dont get these games. Ive sold them after buying them on both instances.

Zero horizon dawn: when youve played games like oblivion and botw and farcry 4 etc. this open world game lacks big time,. but it is absolutely gorgeous to look at. I put about 4 hours into it before getting bored of it. Also there is a huge lack of dinosaur robots (which to me was dumb to begin with), You know whats incredible,,,actual dinosaurs.

Dragon age: i bought it for 10 bucks about a year ago or so. I played it for 1 hr and that was it.

All beat em up games: DMC, Arkham etc. These are for the little guys like 6 to 13 years old, so i cant hate too much, im just an old geezer

#62 Posted by HatKing (7448 posts) -

@wchigo said:

@hatking:

For a while there, I thought I was the only one who felt meh on DOOM 2016. While I didn't hate the game by any metric, it never stuck with me and I bounced right off it.

As for other games... I bounce off of pretty much all of Rockstar's output, with GTA Vice City being the only game of their's that I actually finished. I also have pretty much no interest in the Fallout or Elder Scrolls games either. Those are the big ones that I can come up with off the top of my head.

Glad I'm not alone! I played through the whole game I think partially because I kept expecting something crazy or significant to happen. But the dial gets pushed to 10 in the first scene and never moves from there. It's a common problem in high intensity action games, without juxtaposition, you lose track of things. I can tell you that for part of that game you're in some sort of facility and another part you're in hell, I can tell you that one boss is a giant demon and another is a giant spider, but outside of significant scenery changes or one-off fights, I don't honestly know why my character was doing any of this. There weren't even any memorable moments.

I probably wouldn't be as hard on the game if I didn't spend the back half of 2016 listening to people tell me how fucking great it is.

#63 Posted by ozzdog12 (1164 posts) -

Whew boy.....

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (honestly, the most over-rated game ever in history imo) the Dark Souls series, any game similar to Dark Souls PUBG, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Witcher series, Destiny series, The Division, World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Hearthstone, JRPGs,

#64 Posted by WasabiCurry (528 posts) -

Fortnite and PUBG: I did my best to really try to enjoy these games. Nearly everyone I know enjoys it but I honestly don't like them.

Left 4 Dead 2: It was my first I guess hoard mode fps type of game, but it never clicked with me as to why people like it. I found it pretty boring after a good bit of time into it.

Binding of Isaac: I put forty hours into the game hoping that I enjoy this rogue lite game because I enjoyed so many others like FTL, Enter the Gungeon, Magicite, and Risk of Rain. Yet tried as I might, I just couldn't enjoy the game.

Torchlight II: At the time, Diablo III had a lot of issues (which thankfully Blizzard recognized and made the game better for them!) But people were saying all over the net that Torchlight II was the better alternative. Outside of the multiplayer constantly bugging out and having issues with it, I just didn't enjoy myself by the time I got towards the end of the campaign

#65 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2025 posts) -

@nutter: Nintendo and mediocre, lol!

The latest Doom is another answer from me. It isnt really my kind of setting and I normally wouldn't have bought it, but the praise from Jeff and Brad was so high, and then the internet agreed with them so I had to play it. I played it to the end and didn't enjoy any of my time with it really. Very underwhelmed and disappointed.

#66 Posted by Ascara89 (113 posts) -

Mass effect 2 for me, I just couldn't get into it. I loved the first one, but it becoming more of a third person shooter, and not a very good one really pushed me away.

#67 Posted by nutter (1981 posts) -

@frodobaggins: I liked Doom a lot, but it would have been well served by being shorter. That felt like it could have been an amazing, intense 6-8 hours.

#68 Posted by nutter (1981 posts) -

@ozzdog12: So, I’ll see Witcher or Mass Effect pop-up and my gut reaction is one of shock, outrage, and disgust. But, whatever, opinions.

With Overwatch, do you not like competitive, class-based team games, or objective-based games at all? I’ve fallen off of competitive games as I’ve gotten older, slower, and busier. Overwatch, though, is a breath of fresh air. Is it too much one of the things I noted? Is it too little a hardcore competitive game?

Or...do you just think it’s not great.

Just curious as to your mindset on this one.

#69 Posted by clagnaught (2113 posts) -

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 have aged poorly. Beyond that, they don't work mentally for me. Something always bothers me about the level design or enemy encounters. Between those two things, I have never made it that far in those games.

Also, I think Super Mario Odyssey is not fun. I didn't place it in my GOTY Top 10 list, or on my Top 10 runners up list.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
#70 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (378 posts) -

@frytup said:

All the Rocksteady Batman games. Sorry, but the combat system is ass.

Totally agree, and pretty much any 'batman combat' game.

Also Gears of war, can't stand sticky cover.

#71 Posted by ajamafalous (13815 posts) -

Most games

#72 Posted by Tom_omb (1073 posts) -

Mario Galaxy was a disappointing follow up to Sunshine and the worst 3D Mario. They tossed out all exploration and traded it for only platforming. The platforming is fine, but it's only a part of what made Mario 64 great. It puts way too much between the player and the actual game. What is the point of the hub? Comets also prevent access to the levels you want to play.

I've beaten my head against this game trying to get through it since it game out. Occasionally returning to it and dropping off again. I think I'm done collecting stars. The next time I play it I'll beat Bowser then start on Galaxy 2. Hopefully I can clear my palette of the first game and just enjoy it for the platforming. From what I've seen of it it addresses some of my frustrations, like ditching the hub for more of a traditional world map.

#73 Posted by OurSin_360 (6133 posts) -

The last of us - combat just felt bad, reminded me of manhunt another game i didn't like at all. Story was well told though, opening sequence is one of the best in gaming.

Gta V - everybody is a scum bag and not funny except maybe one or two. It was ok but i couldn't get into it with not liking any of the main characters.

Avatar image for the_atomic_dumpling
#74 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2579 posts) -

Cuphead, Dark Souls, Super Meat boy etc.

I am just not a fan of the "non adjustable overly difficult game" fad. I prefer my games to be actually finishable in a reasonable amount of time with average effort.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
#75 Posted by soimadeanaccount (607 posts) -

Mario, the older they are the worse I "like" them. It isn't just hating on Mario, I am just not a fan of platformers, and considering it is probably the gold standard Mario stood out the most. Overtime I start to learn to appreciate the charm, the colorful graphics, and the sense of joy they try to bring to the table, but still couldn't get into them.

Zelda, this is a tough one to articulate. I never got into the old school Zelda. I can see why at that point in time it could be amazing. Overtime however I feel like games have moved on from to the same structure, same story formula. Plus me not being a fan of puzzle dungeon the series just never hold my interests. The whole "ooo" and "ahh" people have regarding the open world of the recent title just makes me think I had that kind of experience years ago with other open world games...

Most rogue-like, rogue-lite, rouge-like-lite.

Half Life, another one of those probably impressive at its time, but I never got into it kind of deal. I had fun with the off shoot games of the same engine (tfc, cs, l4d), but the original work just doesn't do it for me. The best I can say is, maybe it was a good tech show piece and a features some basic guide lines for world building and story telling in a fps game.

Morrowind...oh boy. I don't dislike Morrowind, if we factor in when the game came out I probably quite liked Morrowind, as much as I like Oblivion and Skyrim...at best. I absolutely do not put Morrowind above the later two games. Lots of things that people go apeshit about Morrowind I find to be complete garbage.

Fallout...hard to explain, the setting and the aesthetic don't grab me. Story is also hot and cold at best. But I am always interested in what Bethesda does from a technical and gameplay perspective.

FF4, I went into it with quite high expectation considering fans of the series rave about it so much. It was quite a let down. Characters showing up and disappearing with completely one sided development and problem/resolution arcs resolving themselves in minutes making it feels like a children book.

#76 Edited by Lv4Monk (494 posts) -

Bioshock is an incredible world wrapped around a supremely boring game. Every decision you make as a player feels hollow and pointless, brought down by budget and focus testing that sanded down every corner until there was nearly nothing left.

The Last of Us had similar issues, though with characters I actually cared about and gameplay that was merely repetitive and unremarkable instead of empty and soulless.

The worlds of Bioshock and TLoU want you to feel like a survivor struggling to get by, the mechanics of Bioshock and TLoU want you to feel empowered without the threat of any real consequence.

#77 Edited by Bonbonetti (107 posts) -

Any multiplayer game: WoW, PUBG, ..., I tried a few in the past, but quickly discovered there's nothing really engaging about them.

Witcher 3: the combat was OK but the rest was quite boring, Geralt in particular.

Dark Souls: virtually no storyline, tedious gameplay, bad controls and camera angles.

Mass Effect 2: worst in the series, the only good thing about it was the technical quality, ... the technically flawed Andromeda was more fun.

Dirt Rally: the stage rallies are good, but the rest is not that interesting to play and there's far too little content.

Crysis: I actually thought Crysis 2 and 3 were more fun, more streamlined and engaging. This first one was overall rather boring to me.

Other series I've tried but did not enjoy at all: BioShock, Borderlands, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3-4 (Bethesda), Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Not a game or franchise, but more a style of game: the doom-and-gloom type of game; the dark, depressive and "realistic" misanthropic type that so many Western gamers consider deep and meaningful. Give me colourful and jolly JRPG anytime.

#78 Edited by ripelivejam (13137 posts) -

ctrl-f super metriod

thank god you people aren't animals

also paging @ezekiel

#79 Posted by Humanity (18642 posts) -
#80 Posted by wchigo (900 posts) -

@hatking: Yeah, I thought there was something wrong with me for a good while there, especially with basically everyone on the Bomb Crew singing its praises. But something about it just felt kinda... bland? Boring? There just wasn't any hook that grabbed me and kept me wanting more.

At least you made it through the game though. By Steam's count, I'm at 2 hours and I think that's about as much time as I'm ever gonna put into it.

#81 Posted by DodoBasse (109 posts) -

@mattca123: Really? You felt the need to insult people who like beat em ups instead of just the game?

There are some extremely compelling reasons to like those games for people who are old geezers as well as young twerps.

#82 Posted by MocBucket62 (2486 posts) -

The only ones I can think of are Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim. Granted I know New Vegas is suppose to have one of the better narratives in a Fallout game, but the gameplay didn’t grab me. Also Skyrim was fun to play at first, but Got bored with the combat pretty fast. I’m not saying they’re bad games, I just don’t like playing them myself.

#84 Edited by mezmero (3730 posts) -

Sure let's make a dogpile of negativity. It's not like there's nearly enough of that on the internet. I swear @liquiddragon would be rolling in his cyber grave if he was actually dead.

If I had to choose something a bit out there maybe that Shinobi game for PS2. For some reason I only ever hear people say they like that game when it comes up but I thought it was utter trash. Did not care for the gameplay, some mechanics seemed pointless (never once died from the sword draining my life), the boss fights were lame and basically all the same, dumb story, bad characters, uninspired enemy designs, the list goes on about my problems with that game. It's at least functional so that's a plus. I just didn't find it very fun or interesting even for it's time. I could probably name a few higher profile games but with most of the contemporary examples I can at least understand why a broad audience would like them more than I. Hard to get salty about such a great time to be playing video games...that are not Shinobi for PS2.

#85 Posted by shorap (419 posts) -

The most recent example for me is Mario Odyssey. Try as I might I just couldn’t get into that game. Playing it did absolutely nothing for me which is a bummer because it’s obviously a quality game that many people love.

#86 Posted by HatKing (7448 posts) -

@shorap said:

The most recent example for me is Mario Odyssey. Try as I might I just couldn’t get into that game. Playing it did absolutely nothing for me which is a bummer because it’s obviously a quality game that many people love.

Mario Odyssey is the game that taught me that I really don't like the 3D Mario games. They feel directionless to me. There are really well made aspects, but the fundamentals bother me.

#87 Posted by ajamafalous (13815 posts) -

@humanity said:

@ajamafalous: the hottest of takes!

I didn't want to mention any games specifically by name because it seemed in poor taste to me and I'm sure most people don't care what games some random other person on the forums doesn't like, but it's true!

#88 Posted by GrimGlottis (15 posts) -

For some reason, I tend to enjoy 99% of games that I play. And I play alot of games. Does that mean I'm easy to please? I guess so. I seem to be able to find some level of enjoyment with every game.

The older I get, the more I realize that I can handle bad stories in games. Whenever a critic complains about "bad" story, I almost always find myself saying,"meh, it wasn't that bad was it?" I guess the prime examples I can think of off the top of my head would be bioshock infinite, farcry 5, Halo 5....the list goes on. Maybe that's because I've come to expect mediocre storytelling in games?

For me, my enjoyment comes from mostly the "feel" of the game. The way it controls and plays in my hands. It's weird to put such an emphasis on some non tangible idea. State of decay? I loved the premise, the mechanics, the B tier jank. I hate how it felt, which almost entirely ruins a game for me. The same goes for FORTNITE, Resistance, assasins creed....etc. I can tell they're fantastic games, but the "feel" of the controls and gameplay are just not for me. And the problem lies there for me. How can you tell what the "feel" of the game is going to be without playing it? You can't. And I waste 100s of dollars a year on games that I will never play again, but I tell myself that I'll get back to them eventually when I have time. But you know what? more games keep coming out. Faster and faster. More production, more money and more niche games, catered to specific tastes. It's a vicious cycle. And it's hard to break free when it's such a passionate hobby for me.

We live in a day and age,with so much media coverage of video games, that really we shouldn't be thinking a game is one thing, and then be shocked or mad that it's another. A great example is sea of thieves. We all knew what this game would be. We all watched the beta videos and coverage. Watch the coverage, and don't be "fooled" by the marketing talk. Another issue, is that we listen to videos/podcasts/streams that "build the hype". I love the giantbombcast, and I'll listen to it for as long as it runs, but I can't help but think that these guys influence my anticipation of games that I wouldn't normally buy. Several times during the year I get bombarded by marketing making me feel like I'll be missing out on the latest/greatest game, when I know deep down I don't even really like the genre. But I buy the game, play it for a few hours, and never touch it again. fml, how do I stop that cycle?

that was a tangent I didn't expect to go on.

All of you guys saying, that these AAA games are HORRIBLE and BORING, do you honestly think that? Can you not take a step back from your rash opinion and think that it's the genre or type of game that you're not interested in and not that the game is garbage?

#89 Posted by Lv4Monk (494 posts) -

We need to make two agreements here.

1. Don't insult people that like something

2. Don't take someone not liking a game you like personally

We're all duders here

#90 Posted by shorap (419 posts) -

@hatking: come to think of it, I think that’s it. I’ve never gotten into the 3D Mario games either.

#91 Edited by DrPotato (100 posts) -

I never understood the praise for The Walking Dead or The Bethesda Fallouts.

#92 Posted by ninnanuam (581 posts) -

@shorap said:

This is me. I know myself well enough to know that 3d platformers are not my thing but everyone was raving about it and the Cappy stuff that I thought the gimmick may have given the game enough novelty for me to like it. Nope three hours into it I just gave up, gave it to someone as a birthday present.

I mean I hate way more stuff than that but generally I can tell a mile off if a game isn't for me these days and some how I still picked up Odyssey.

#93 Edited by deathbyyogurt (46 posts) -

Dark Souls or any game like it. I played Dark Souls for about 10 hours and understood the loop of the game and why that could be appealing, but I just hit a wall where I didn't feel like playing anymore. I liked Nioh more because the combat was actually fun, but the same thing happened after about 15 hours. I beat a boss and then just didn't feel like trudging through it anymore. Repeating the same runs through the same areas over and over until I beat the boss just wasn't fun and ruined the much more engaging boss fights.

Overwatch looks pretty boring to me. My friends were addicted to it and I didn't get it. It just seems like everyone runs to one area and then bunny hops around soaking up damage until someone pops their ultimate and a team dies and then you just sorta keep doing that.

I really don't like the way the Metal Gear games play. I love the story and craziness and creativity, but the actual gameplay is pretty bad. I played Splinter Cell before Metal Gear so I think that ruined it for me.

Never liked the Mega Man games either. Jumping is bad and it's awkward jumping around to shoot stuff that isn't immediately ahead of you. Games like Metroid and Contra controlled so much better that I never understood why Mega Man was so well regarded.

#94 Posted by Justin258 (15621 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is a very pretty game to look at, even seven years later. It's also boring as hell and doesn't play very well.

I played that game all the way through the Mexico part. I probably would have finished it, but it felt like every single part of the Mexico section of the game consisted of Marston asking somebody a question, that somebody saying "I'll answer it if you'll do this thing for me", Marston doing that thing for them, and then that person not actually giving Marston any help whatsoever. I tried to return to it once a few years later, got a few hours in, and just couldn't help but think that my time would be better spent with a different game. Really, the only Rockstar games I've finished and enjoyed were Max Payne 3 and Grand Theft Auto V.

Also, nothing puts me to sleep quite like Diablo 3.

I played Breath of the Wild for about seventy hours on the Wii U. Loved it. I eventually put it down for several reasons, but the two primary ones were a) climbing being hindered by rain, an extremely annoying mechanic, and b) the way-too-fast weapon degradation, which completely sucks the joy out of finding a badass new weapon because I know it's going to break soon enough. I have since tried to pick it back up and play some more, but every time I just can't get over those two pitfalls and I wind up putting it down less than an hour after I've picked it up in favor of something else.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
#95 Posted by WrinklyDinosaur (542 posts) -

I don't know how popular they are, but nothing about the modern Deus Ex games has ever clicked for me. I love the aesthetic and art direction; I just found myself wholly unable to get invested in the game.

#96 Posted by kadaju86 (77 posts) -

@grimglottis: Can only speak for myself, of course, in relation to the games I mentioned. Not sure I would say "horrible", but definitely boring as hell and not being able to see what is supposedly so great with those games that everyone else/so many others seem to think. The games I listed are also all in genres of games that I otherwise usually love. Black Flag being the only mainline AC game I haven't finished for example as I don't think it's a good AC game, and only okay as a pirate game. The first Mordor game; I have really enjoyed LOTR, read the books, seen the movies and played through a bunch of the decent to mediocre PS2 era games, and I also have loved all the Batman games, even Origins and Arkham Knight. But, Mordor is bad at being both in my opinion. Combat feels worse than Batman and the story doesn't feel like it fits in LOTR at all.

Valve games... Half Life is not a good series. I like a ton of different FPS games, ranging from stuff like Doom, Wolfenstein, COD to Deus Ex and so on, but Half Life feels off. Not an interesting world, don't care for the controls and never really found anything about them impressive in any way other than HL2 having some neat physics for the time it came out. Portal has a humor that generally falls flat for me.

The Bethesda RPGs... My main experience with both series stems from Oblivion and Fallout 3. Worlds I got bored of after a couple of hours in each. I just feel when you have an RPG with a world you should be able to really immerse yourself in you are not doing yourself many favors by having each conversation look like you are talking to a cardboard cutout of a person. Neither does having combat that lacks any kind of impact when you stand there swinging a sword at someone for example. Couple that with a story that feels tacked on and the game ends up having such a lack of direction that it feels more like it should just be a sandbox without anything else attached to it. And I generally love other RPG games of the same ilk, such as the Witcher series.

A lot of repetition there, but oh well, might as well attach a few more points to each as to why I don't like them :P

#97 Posted by Mattca123 (40 posts) -

@dodobasse: There was nothing remotely insulting about what i said about beat em ups. You must be misreading it entirely

#98 Posted by Mattca123 (40 posts) -

@lv4monk: @grimglottis: i have seen nothing less than fairplay in this thread. nothing is being taken to heart. the goal of this thread was and is entirely to showcase your unique distaste of a game or games that the masses enjoy. So in and of itself the tone of this blog is naturally going to "seem" rude etc. Just friendly real discussion. cheers mate

#99 Posted by supermonkey122 (1229 posts) -

@hatking said:

Doom (2016). It's a fun, but monotonous and pretty shallow shooter that comes off like it is proud of its anti-intellectualism. You play a big dumb brute that literally starts the game by punching a computer for trying to convey context or narrative. I get it, it's suppose to be a fun, dumb romp through hell. It's really well built from a technical standpoint, but otherwise frustratingly shallow. It also has painfully annoying "hey remember" Easter eggs ramrodded into every level that feel partially like they saw and didn't get what made similar things work in Wolfenstein: The New Order.

I fucking can't stand things that try to make people feel bad for wanting something thoughtful out of their art. The smug air of patronizing immaturity here rubs me the wrong way. And before anybody tells me all the good bits are hidden in the encyclopedia buried in the menus, that's also part of my problem with the game.

Also, generally speaking, I prefer to talk about how good things are I like, but in this specific case Doom got a bunch of attention during award shows and such, so I don't feel too bad rattling that pedestal a touch.

Games are about gameplay and DOOM's is 10/10. Who cares if it isn't "thoughtful", its a blast to play, runs like a dream, is beautiful and makes you feel like a badass. Theres nothing wrong with a game with something to say, but a game shouldn't be docked if it isn't going for that either.

#100 Posted by Crommi (401 posts) -

NES Games: Even if gameplay might be ok, I can't stand the 8-bit visuals and audio.
Mario & Zelda: Due to not having any 8-bit nostalgia for these franchises, I have zero interest in modern versions of these games.
Dark Souls: I'm not a masochist
MOBAs: ^same as above
Ubisoft games: This is pretty simple, enjoyed the earlier Assassin's Creeds and Watch Doges, but at this point I'd rather play something that feels new and fresh
Final Fantasy 7: Similar to my problem with NES games, the visual and audio representation felt subpar compared to previous SNES titles, detracting from the overall exprience.
Monkey Island and other point&click games: I'd rather read a book, less hassle and usually better story.

Overall, I've noticed that I've become much more picky about games and if game doesn't grab my interest in first few hours, I have no trouble dropping it.