Games that takes place near where you live?

• 73 results
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Be it games that are coming out or games that have already come out. I may have made this thread a few years ago, but it could have been just something I wanted to make. I don't remember. The closest setting games get to where I live is Seattle, WA. There have been a handful of games that have done this location, but I think the game that tried to bring the location to life most was Infamous: Second Son. I didn't really care for the take on Seattle, nor did it feel like Seattle to me so I was pretty disappointed. The area in Seattle it nearly nailed was the entrance to the pacific science center. Something that totally surprised me was playing NBA Street 2 and there being Green Lake in it. The difference is that the location in the game looks like a mirrored image of the actual place.

I am super excited, and maybe the reason why I made this thread honestly, that The Last of Us Part II will take place largely in Seattle. The Last of Us' post-apocalyptic setting is one of my favorite video game settings ever I'd say as it has a story to tell itself as you can imagine the history of each place, so for them to take it near where I live is very exciting. Comparing the Google images of game footage to real-life locations is really cool. There are a bunch of other games that took place in Seattle, like Deus Ex, World in Conflict, Dead Light, Shadowrun, and even Advanced Warfare. Does any game take place near a location where you live or will there be any? How well do you think it represented the location or did that even matter?

Edit - I just noticed that the title sucks. Didn't need the s at the end of take.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Zleunamme

There is not a lot games set in San Antonio, Texas. For that matter Texas in general. Other than the fictional western backdrops like Red Dead Redemption. One is the NBA 2K series. The San Antonio Spurs playing their home games in the AT&T Center. The second is the Last of Us. The game starts in a town near Austin, Texas. Some times Madden NFL will list San Antonio as a possible relocation city in franchise mode.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game I’m aware of taking place in Connecticut is Splatterhouse 3.

Eat it, other 47 continental United States.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think a game ever has been, nor will be, set where I live. Spent a lot of time in Seattle though and have kind used that for this experience. I agree with Second Son, Pacific Center feels really accurate but the rest of the city doesn't really feel much like Seattle in my opinion. I also totally played the Green Lake court in NBA Street, it was uncanny how accurate it seemed. I'll also say Deadly Premonition does a pretty good job portraying a rural town in the Pacific Northwest, Alan Wake as well does a good job with the same setting.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I can't think of any games that take place in the Carolinas.

About a third of all video games that take place in some relatively realistic Earth happen in New York or Tokyo, seemingly.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@justin258: Yeah, which is funny considering how many game studios are now in North Carolina.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life is Strange takes place in Oregon as I recall. That's the most blatant example that comes to mind. Although there are plenty with a generic "pacific northwest" locale. I feel like most of those imply Washington over Oregon though.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By DinosaurCanada

I don't think there's a single video game set here. There's been a few in Massachusets and Eternal Darkness was in Rhode Island. That's all I can recall. I think Zero from Metal Gear lived in Portsmouth.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brothers in Arms Hells Highway. The location where the game starts is only like a 30 min drive from my house.

Moderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in San Diego California and the amount of games that have either taken inspiration from here or have just been set here is too long a list to fucking type it on this small ass iPhone

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Hellgate London
  • Zombiu
  • GTA: London
  • The Getaway
  • AC: Syndicate
wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wollywoo

Whoa, I have totally walked past that court at Green Lake a bunch of times. Weird to see it in a game. I also thought from the VRodeo that the library at the very beginning of Moss looks exactly like Suzallo Library at University of Washington.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@rejizzle said:

Most games don't take place in Canada, and when they do it's in crazy future Canada like in Mass Effect 3 or Deus Ex. But I must say the Stick of Truth absolutely nailed it.

Also that Scott Pilgrim game is one of the only games I can recall that definitely takes place in Toronto. But yeah, no game has really got Canada right other than Stick of Truth.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

IL2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles had a Finnish campaign where you could fly over my home. That's pretty much it.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

@monkeyman04: Wow. That's cool. I actually really like MW2. It has my favorite campaign out of all COD's, to be honest. I had no idea that level was based on somewhere in Vancouver. That's in the campaign and it's a spec ops level as well. Thanks for the insight. I don't know if it's true, but it seems plausible.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her Story and Blackwyche are set in my county, but quite far away in my city’s rival city.

I’d be very surprised if anything was set near here although I’ve often though with a forest, a coastline and a city, it’d be quite good.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live about 15 minutes north of Boston. The early parts of The Last of Us took place in Boston. There wasn't much that was super recognizable in that game, other than State House which actually served as a plot point.

There's also Fallout 4 obviously, but I was disappointed by it. The condensed nature of the world map meant that there were towns that simply didn't exist. Concord is not right next to Medford, and there are several towns between Salem and Boston, unlike in the game. Most disappointingly, the area where I live would have been on the northern edge of the game world between Concord and Medford if it were modeled more accurately. Also, the Mass Pike is on the wrong side of Fenway Park. That bothered me more than it should.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dinosaurcanada: City of Heroes took place in Rhode Island (my home state).

Dark Dreams Don’t Die was a Boston-set game, I think (those accents)...

I don’t know of any New Hampshire games, but Quantum Break was set in a fictional Massachusetts town and Murdered: Soul Suspect (the bit I played was kinda cool) took place in Salem. Frankly, I’m surprised I can’t think of more games set in Salem...

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

The opening of The Last of Us is near Austin, TX, I believe, and I used to live there at one point.

Despite moving around pretty regularly, I can't think of any games that take place where I live. I think some open world games could be set in some sort of amalgamation of Austin and North Carolina as a state. Austin is a unique city, which also has some water with the river and lake and some rocky hills outside of the city. North Carolina has some urban city areas with Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, but it also has mountains out west near Boone and Asheville and coastal areas. (It's technically in South Carolina, but Myrtle Beach is pretty close) I don't know, something near like that seems more interesting than GTA flipping back and forth between New York and California every 5 to 10 years.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Central Florida so uh...I guess that Kinect Disney World game? I did live about 25 minutes away from Centralia, PA when I was young, so I guess you could count the Silent Hill games. I never visited the town(or well, what was left of it) before but my own hometown was pretty similar old dying coal town, so aesthetically pretty similar.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The Walking Dead Telltale games I guess. They take place in my state of Georgia.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Not really too many Australian-set games that I know of.

The original Need for Speed had an Australian themed track.

Mad Max?

The Forza series uses Bathurst as a track which is around 2 hours away from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b86467090483
deactivated-5b86467090483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle said:

Most games don't take place in Canada, and when they do it's in crazy future Canada like in Mass Effect 3 or Deus Ex. But I must say the Stick of Truth absolutely nailed it.

Also that Scott Pilgrim game is one of the only games I can recall that definitely takes place in Toronto. But yeah, no game has really got Canada right other than Stick of Truth.

Until Dawn was very Canadian

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Mad Max?

Forza Horizon 3 is also set in Australia.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Houston, Tx would make for an absolutely awful open world. Can't think of any video games that take place here. I love my city but it doesn't seem all that interesting for a video game.

arobbie2501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I live now in Switzerland, so 7 years in Europe now, and because of that I feel closer to games like Witcher 3, and Dark Souls. There are castles around and the weather is gray. I also dated a polish girl for almost 4 years so Witcher was ON-POINT with that culture.

I, however, grew up in Miami, and GTA Vice City came out when I was in secondary (middle school), so totally perfect timing. <3

I wish more modern setting games took place in Europe instead of the US, when I think back to things like Bourne Ultimatum and stuff, action stuff in these tiny old winding streets seems so awesome.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Philadelphia. There aren't a ton of games that come to mind that take place here. I'm pretty sure Homefront 2 was set here, and some Tony Hawk games had Love park levels.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:
@captain_insano said:

Mad Max?

Forza Horizon 3 is also set in Australia.

Byron Bay specifically

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Nantucket, MA should probably have a dozen games about it, but I think there is only one. A very small European studio put out a game called Nantucket, and I believe that when you play the game your "whale ship's" home-based on Nantucket. Honestly, the game so new that I do not know how much Nantucket plays into the game except from being named on the maps as the home port.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

A landmark in the city where I live has a map location in Fallout 4.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Captain_Insano

@atastyslurpee: yeah. I know Forza Horizon 3 is set in Byron (though i did say Australia generally in my original post) Didn't mention it because Byron is a good 12 hour drive away.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Nantucket is one of my favorite places. Beautiful island. I’d love to move out that way some day.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: I didn't know this. Apparently it is not specifically named, rather they just call it the City. But yeah, it's Philly.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atastyslurpee: yeah. I know Forza Horizon 3 is set in Byron (though i did say Australia generally in my original post) Didn't mention it because Byron is a good 12 hour drive away.

How accurate is Bryon in Forza versus actual Byron. My only knowledge of Byron is that it is a surf town and home to Parkway Drive & Chris/Liam Hemsworth

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#42 fisk0  Moderator

Only two games really come to mind, Project Gotham Racing 2 and Cry of Fear. PGR2 has a track in central Stockholm, which I think is a really fascinating time capsule of what the city looked like around 2000 (much of which has changed since). I especially enjoyed the appearance of what used to be one of my favorite game stores at the time, which closed down around 2005 or so. Cry of Fear actually features a few locations really close to where I live. In particular they really nailed the look of a lake close to the old mental asylum where much of the game is set, and which I walk by almost daily.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The big one I can think of for the Washington, DC area is Fallout 3. There's also been a variety of games that have had a level set at the Pentagon, but it's usually just a generic military-complex looking place and doesn't have any of the recognizable landmarks nearby (Arlington Cemetery, the 9/11 memorial, the Iwo Jima memorial, or all of DC across the river).

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Fallout 4

Last of Us

Assassin's Creed 3

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Last of Us had sections set both in my old hometown in Jackson, Wyoming and in a thinly veiled stand-in of my college town in Massachusetts. That was a little surreal.

The Crew also had my hometown, with a pretty accurate recreation of the town square. I was impressed/surprised they included it, especially since they didn’t include Boston or Denver.

DrVenkman90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Indianapolis and all I can recall are racing games (Indianapolis Motor Speedway) and just sports games in general but please let me know if there is something else out there!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Homefront starts in my home town but let me tell you nobody from Kaos Studios came and looked at the town. Not a single piece of that game looked like it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to live in New York City for awhile. I've seen it nuked, destroyed, invaded, etc etc. It's really just a smelly, noisy place.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Was there a Jersey Shore video game?