Games that takes place near where you live?

• 73 results
49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I'm dying for a modern game set in modern day London. Hopefully the rumours of Watch Dogs 3 in London are true because I would buy the game just for that reason.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By applegong

Rival Turf takes place in the drug addled hive of villainy called British Columbia, Canada, and BC Place.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

I currently live in Colorado Springs, about 10 miles from the Air Force Academy setting in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Air Combat Academy
Air Combat Academy

MummyMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really too many Australian-set games that I know of.

The original Need for Speed had an Australian themed track.

Mad Max?

The Forza series uses Bathurst as a track which is around 2 hours away from me.

I didn't know that about Forza, that's cool. Good ice cream place there, Annie's.

I was thinking Dead Island is meant to be Australian isn't it? I think Ty the Tasmanian Tiger is meant to be in Australia, too haha

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I grew up in Shropshire where Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is set. While I think it might capture bits of the character of the area, and a walking simulator is probably best to sum up the level of activity in the county, it definitely feels a bit off to someone who grew up there. The dialogue, some of the language/terminology on signs and little things like lampposts/benches/household items are unfamiliar. Which I find a little odd given that The Chinese Room were UK based, but I am probably nit-picking over the details.

Shropshire barely gets considered by Brits though, I almost always have to geographically describe where I am from to anyone, so it's pretty cool to have it featured in a game, especially such a pretty one. Now that I have said all this, I'll find out that they accurately mapped and scanned everything and it's my memory that's faulty (this is more likely).

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By wjb

Based on Wikipedia, Telltale's The Walking Dead Season Two supposedly took place in NC at some point. Can't remember when.

We have mountains and beaches!

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout: New Vegas is the best example by far. I think they did an incredible job at building a post-apocalyptic southern Nevada and Utah. I appreciated that they put in more than just The Strip and the large landmarks. Everything from a specific tunnel at Zion, to the general store in Good Springs. They absolutely nailed a lot of small details while making it fit in their story.

A real interesting one is American Truck Simulator. While its version of Vegas is an extremely scaled down representation, and doesn't use real names or streets, I can navigate it by feel. I know which part of the city I'm in without using landmarks or the map. I'll be like "oh this is the west side of town" but not because the game has any notable buildings off the strip. It's more a vibe.

I think Call of Duty: Ghosts had a mission inside of The Luxor and a multiplayer map that looked like it may have been just off Las Vegas Blvd between The Stratosphere and Fremont St.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#59  Edited By monkeyking1969

I live in Indianapolis and all I can recall are racing games (Indianapolis Motor Speedway) and just sports games in general but please let me know if there is something else out there!

You have Organ Trail: Director's Cut in among all the sports titles.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Was there a Jersey Shore video game?

Would the game, Toxic Crusaders, work for your purposes? Its New Jersey adjacent...

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Rich666

I live in SF and despite having seen the golden gate bridge blown up a half dozen or more times, i feel Ubisoft did the best job of a video game version of the city. Watch underscore Dogs 2 takes place here and i think they did a pretty good job in their scaled down version of the city. Being that Ubisoft has an office here probably helped a lot with that.

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there any games set in England that aren't set in London?

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@tommytours: Resistance: Fall of Man, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, We Happy Few, Professor Layton: Last Specter, Dear Esther, etc. Not all real places, but all in England/the British isles.

That game Get Even might be, too, but I can't quite recall. Tomb Raider obviously, but she globetrots too much to say it's actually set in England.

The Fable games are also technically in England (Albion is an old name for Great Britain).

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunothethird: Interesting, I had no idea that resistance was even supposed to be in a real location (not that I've played any of them but I assumed they were in space for some reason).

I think the not real places thing is the key point, seeing as I don't think there's any big open world games set in modern London I think we have a ways to go before any realistic representations of any other cities.

It's a shame really considering Rockstar North is in Edinburgh that they haven't done a game set somewhere on the landmass that they are based on, seeing as from what I've heard GTAV is a one of the most accurate video game re creations of a real city.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@tommytours: The Getaway back on PS2 had a pretty accurate open-world London in it, but it's been forgotten because it's such a dull game IMO.

Yeah, Resistance is probably one of the coolest renditions. I remember Manchester cathedral being rendered really well (you go inside and everything).

A new GTA around the north of England and Scotland would be dope, or a new version of the GTA: London - 1969 expansion they made way back.

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunothethird: I'm from Bristol, but I doubt there's any chance of getting a modern day game set here.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TheFlamingo352

I'm from southern Virginia, same place as Alex, but the closest game locations I can think of are the CIA at Langley or Fallout 3 in DC.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mems1224 said:

Houston, Tx would make for an absolutely awful open world. Can't think of any video games that take place here. I love my city but it doesn't seem all that interesting for a video game.

What are you talking about bro you don't want to ride a digital slab with swangaz under BE SOMEONE?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Capum15

According to wikipedia the only two games that have something vaguely to do with the US State of Idaho are Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and the mobile version. So "probably a single mission, or something, somewhere in the State" is as close as it gets for me, hah.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dublin, Ireland - the closest we have that I can think of are some rally games which would've had tracks featured in the country side.

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure there isn't much in the way of games that take place in Arkansas.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Folklore and a level in Broken Sword 1. That's all I got.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I live in Uruguay, so the list of games set here is pretty much 0.

There is a stadium in Fifa 10, but it is not even close to the real one.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tesla said:
@mems1224 said:

Houston, Tx would make for an absolutely awful open world. Can't think of any video games that take place here. I love my city but it doesn't seem all that interesting for a video game.

What are you talking about bro you don't want to ride a digital slab with swangaz under BE SOMEONE?

Maybe if they made a burnout style arcade racer where you're just plowing through thousands of cars during rush hour on 45 and 10. That would be incredibly cathartic

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: Put that bad boy on Switch and we can do that while sitting in said traffic.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NTM

@thatonedudenick: How is Rainbow Six: Vegas' take on Vegas? I ought to get through New Vegas. I spent around 15 to 20 hours in it I think, and I didn't even go into the city area.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#77 fisk0  Moderator

A real interesting one is American Truck Simulator. While its version of Vegas is an extremely scaled down representation, and doesn't use real names or streets, I can navigate it by feel. I know which part of the city I'm in without using landmarks or the map. I'll be like "oh this is the west side of town" but not because the game has any notable buildings off the strip. It's more a vibe.

Oh, that's interesting, I just remembered that they actually made an expansion for EuroTruck Simulator 2 set here in Sweden, but I felt the opposite about how they handled in there. They had a lot of major landmarks, but it just didn't feel right to me - the architecture and look of the streets for the parts where they took artistic liberties just felt like Germany. I don't doubt they used some actual Swedish references for it, and some locations are very recognizable, but they didn't seem to pick structures that are representative of the general architecture of the city for the parts where they just wanted to line a street with generic buildings or stuff like that, so it never really felt as even a scaled down approximation of the city, just a foreign city with some recognizable landmarks strewn about.