• 138 results
Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

I always wanted to love several games, but they never seemed to be any fun. Maybe the comoonity can help me love these games, but as for right now I don't get them or think they are hard to play. Here are a few of those games.

• Final Fantasy VII - Aeris just died a horrible death, now we should go snowboarding.
  • Fallout 2 - This one is just too buggy, someone needs to work on a patch.
  • Knights of the Old Republic - I really want to like C&C RPG's, but I never want to make a wrong decision. That leads me to look for a guide beforehand which ruins the fun of a C&C RPG.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 - Totally awesome, but then the story just seems totally absurd the second time through.
  • Super Metroid - I really want to buy and play Shadow Complex, but me not liking this game is kind of turning me off. I think its just the lack of a narrative pointing me in the right direction, though.
  • Animal Crossing - You know doing a little fishing, just hanging. That's something I want to do, but not in a video game.
  • Street Fighter series - I'm no good, and I have not a teacher to teach me.
  • Any RPG that's not real-time action (Fallout Tactics, Freedom Force, Fallout 2, KOTOR) - I used to love games like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, and I even liked Dragon Quest VIII. However, I think my patience has thinned by the bloody and constantly rewarding shooters of the current generation.
  • Forza Motorsport 2 - This is a game that I will probably never ever play again, and while I'm more of a Burnout guy, I feel if I could just get good enough I might be able to enjoy this one.
  • Action games (Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence) - I always want to play on the hardest difficulty, because that's how you unlock stuff, but I'm never good enough for that. However, by the time I understand that I'll never beat it on the hardest difficulty I feel like I just wasted a huge chunk of my life getting to the last or second-to-last level, thus, I'm not willing to spend even more time on the lower difficulty setting.

So how about you guys, got any games that you want to like, but don't? Do you ever feel the barrier for entry is too high on some games?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Halo 3, Modern Warfare 2, and Noby Noby Boy. 

I couldn't be bothered to go into detail.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By PerryVandell

I don't really understand why people like Kingdom Hearts. I don't dislike the series, I'm just indifferent to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fullmetal216: The gameplay in that can be really good, but the story is incoherent nonsense.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Rayfield

I once worked with this young dude who had a Triforce bag and compared every single RPG he ever played to Ocarina Of Time. I'm not saying he loved talking about the magic of that game or it's era or anything. He literally thought all RPGs were shit because they weren't exactly like Ocarina of Time. Mass Effect 1 and Fallout 3 were awful games in his eyes because Ocarina of Time existed.  I didn't get that. 

That, and the Halo franchise.
felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By felixlighter

Jeanne D'arc 
 I was looking for a PSP rpg and several people suggested Jeanne D'arc.  I never played a tactical RPG before so I decided to give it a shot.  It's obviously not the genre for me.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Games with QTE "gameplay". It always just seemed to me like the devs admitting they couldn't work the mechanics of doing an action into the actual gameplay, so here press a button every 5 seconds while we play an in game cutscene. Just no.

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Fudgeblood

How Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 can take itself seriously I'll never know.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chyro

There is an old old PC game called Twilight 2000.  Where basically the world ended and you have to build an army.  The list of skills was insane.  Literally 200+ skills of stuff each person could learn.   And you could have about 50 guys or so.  You could have tanks/planes/boats.   The instruction manual was about 100 pages.  I remember watching my dad play it and it just looked crazy difficult.  It was turn based strategy.  Came out in 1991 even before X-Com.     I recently tried to play through it again and I forgot to bring an anti tank person ( all you start out with is a Humvee.)  and I got utterly decimated by a enemy tank.  Literally blew my whole crew up with one shot to my Humvee.     I've tried about 3 times to play this game and I can never get more then a couple missions in before I figure out I messed up and concede for another couple of years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rayfield said:
" I once worked with this young dude who had a Triforce bag and compared every single RPG he ever played to Ocarina Of Time. I'm not saying he loved talking about the magic of that game or it's era or anything. He literally thought all RPGs were shit because they weren't exactly like Ocarina of Time. Mass Effect 1 and Fallout 3 were awful games in his eyes because Ocarina of Time existed.  I didn't get that.  That, and the Halo franchise. "
That young dude needs a lesson in game design, in that OoT isn't an RPG. I can't argue for Halo, though.
herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By herreno

Banjo-Kazooie:Nuts and Bolts

I don't like building vehicles.. Much like I hated playing with lego's as a kid. =/

Also. I have no soul as the brightness and colour gave me headaches. Urgh.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield
@Herreno said:
"Banjo-Kazooie:Nuts and Bolts   I don't like building vehicles.. Much like I hated playing with lego's as a kid. =/   Also. I have no soul as the brightness and colour gave me headaches. Urgh. "

Manhunt from Rockstar Games. In stores now.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Akeldama

Halo 2, 3, Wars, ODST and Reach. 

God I miss CE.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PureRok
@Rayfield said:
" I once worked with this young dude who had a Triforce bag and compared every single RPG he ever played to Ocarina Of Time. I'm not saying he loved talking about the magic of that game or it's era or anything. He literally thought all RPGs were shit because they weren't exactly like Ocarina of Time. Mass Effect 1 and Fallout 3 were awful games in his eyes because Ocarina of Time existed.  I didn't get that.  That, and the Halo franchise. "
That's pretty hilarious, considering The Legend of Zelda isn't even an RPG. Although, I do agree about Mass Effect. I like to pretend it doesn't exist as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FelixLighter said:

"  Jeanne D'arc   I was looking for a PSP rpg and several people suggested Jeanne D'arc.  I never played a tactical RPG before so I decided to give it a shot.  It's obviously not the genre for me. "

Strategy RPG's are just not fun to me anymore, and I think its because I get stuck a lot in those types of games. Either that, or I just got it beat out of me by games like MW2, Gears of War, and Halo.

@ryanwho said:

" Games with QTE "gameplay". It always just seemed to me like the devs admitting they couldn't work the mechanics of doing an action into the actual gameplay, so here press a button every 5 seconds while we play an in game cutscene. Just no. "

All games with QTEs?

@Chyro said:

"  There is an old old PC game called Twilight 2000.  Where basically the world ended and you have to build an army.  The list of skills was insane.  Literally 200+ skills of stuff each person could learn.   And you could have about 50 guys or so.  You could have tanks/planes/boats.   The instruction manual was about 100 pages.  I remember watching my dad play it and it just looked crazy difficult.  It was turn based strategy.  Came out in 1991 even before X-Com.     I recently tried to play through it again and I forgot to bring an anti tank person ( all you start out with is a Humvee.)  and I got utterly decimated by a enemy tank.  Literally blew my whole crew up with one shot to my Humvee.     I've tried about 3 times to play this game and I can never get more then a couple missions in before I figure out I messed up and concede for another couple of years. "

I bet you have to lug out an old clunker of a PC to play it, too. That's an example, at least for me, of a game being hard to play. Not necessarily hard as in the game is hard, its just that it requires too much from the player to be any fun.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By warxsnake

Any japanese game. 0 appeal. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By trophyhunter

I don't get people not getting games

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By JoelTGM

Fallout 3 - It's too bland, and the gameplay was very janky, I found it very boring to play.

Halo ODST - I played it in one sitting cooperatively with a friend, and it didn't feel action packed like the previous Halo games.  It was just standard Halo 3 combat, but in a very mellow story, and without the Masterchief.  When we began, my friend was pumped to play it, but when we finished it, he was like "Wow, that was a waste of time", and shut the console off.  I don't get how that was on anyone's top 2009 list on GB.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warxsnake said:
" Any japanese game. 0 appeal.  "
I'm with you there good buddy, except I liked Dragon Quest VIII for some reason. Also, anyone else turned off by getting stuck in games with character progression because you're not powerful enough?
Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Korne

Bioware RPG's- Every time one is released, I get super excited. Some geek sense way down in my bones squeels in utter joy. And yet, I generally don't like them. KOTOR was fun for a while, Baulder's Gate became boring after 20 hours, which made Baulder's Gate 2's gameplay feel really lame. Mass Effect is slow as hell, and I don't care about the characters. Same thing with Dragonage Origins, plus the combat is the same as Baulder's Gate. 

In fact, pretty much the only Bioware game I really like is MDK2... and my favorite Bioware RPG is probably the Sonic RPG.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By turboman

Fallout 3... forced myself to play 15 hours.. only liked it

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
@warxsnake said:
" Any japanese game. 0 appeal.  "
Everyone loves Mario.
Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nekroskop

Every Halo game. I get that most people like the game since it was (probably) their first FPS.
ArrenDusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArrenDusk
I've always tried to play Supreme Commander, seeing as I like RTSes and all, but the game is so tactical that I couldn't really get into it.  I'd always end up playing 2 or 3 missions then just be bored out of my mind finding out counters and trying to get through those really fortified bases and just quit the game. What's funny though, is that's exactly the basis of attacking in RTS, finding their defences and breaking them. Supreme Commander just seemed to have much more fortified bases than in any other RTS I've played. Though I'll try again soon and beat the damn game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" Fallout 3 - It's too bland, and the gameplay was very janky, I found it very boring to play.  Halo ODST - I played it in one sitting cooperatively with a friend, and it didn't feel action packed like the previous Halo games.  It was just standard Halo 3 combat, but in a very mellow story, and without the Masterchief.  When we began, my friend was pumped to play it, but when we finished it, he was like "Wow, that was a waste of time", and shut the console off.  I don't get how that was on anyone's top 2009 list on GB. "
I love Fallout 3, but I can agree with you on ODST to an extent, but complaining about story in any Halo game after 2 is, well let's just say Halo is not at the top of my favorite game fiction's list.

@Korne said:
" Bioware RPG's- Every time one is released, I get super excited. Some geek sense way down in my bones squeels in utter joy. And yet, I generally don't like them. KOTOR was fun for a while, Baulder's Gate became boring after 20 hours, which made Baulder's Gate 2's gameplay feel really lame. Mass Effect is slow as hell, and I don't care about the characters. Same thing with Dragonage Origins, plus the combat is the same as Baulder's Gate.  In fact, pretty much the only Bioware game I really like is MDK2... and my favorite Bioware RPG is probably the Sonic RPG. "

I've only played a little bit of KOTOR, and that's all the bioware I've ever played.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ArrenDusk: I don't like RTS games, because I can't balance units well. Besides the fact that I am not a high-level player.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rayfield
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: 

You should really give Shadow Complex a try. It's great.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Milkman

Demon's Souls is the easily the biggest anomaly to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rayfield: I have, and I think I'm sold since you aren't stuck with a brand new power and nowhere to go. (at least nowhere to go that's pointed out to you)
Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chyro
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1:   Nah, it works with DosBox just fine.    And the game is real difficult.  There is no start over.  If your characters die they are dead.  And I'm not sure if you get replacements.  It's really unforgiving.  Probably the most difficult game I have ever played.  Even more so then X-Com.
Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alphonzo

Assassin's Creed, BIOSHOCK 2, JRPGs, Street Fighter, Katamari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chyro: I haven't even played X-Com, the closest thing to X-Com that I ever played was Fallout Tactics, and I thought that was hard.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I still have no idea why people like TES III:Morrowind so dang much. I have tried multiple, multiple, times to get into it with very little success.

Also, Fallout 1 and 2. Maybe It would be different if I played them when they came out more than 10 years ago, but there are certainly better RPGs from that time period out there (in my opinion).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ArbitraryWater: Morrowind was okay up until the last boss, It was impossible to beat him cause I had Tribunal installed.
lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lucas_kelly
@Korne said:
" Bioware RPG's- Every time one is released, I get super excited. Some geek sense way down in my bones squeels in utter joy. And yet, I generally don't like them. KOTOR was fun for a while, Baulder's Gate became boring after 20 hours, which made Baulder's Gate 2's gameplay feel really lame. Mass Effect is slow as hell, and I don't care about the characters. Same thing with Dragonage Origins, plus the combat is the same as Baulder's Gate.  In fact, pretty much the only Bioware game I really like is MDK2... and my favorite Bioware RPG is probably the Sonic RPG. "
Pretty much the same. Except I loved KOTOR, the rest have been pretty average and repetitive games to me.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I have no idea why these two games exist.  They're extremely immature, stupid and vulgar in concept and I'm so glad that FF sold like shit and NB is going to as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought of a couple more that I didn't like/get

RTS games (Rise of Nations, Age of Empires, Starcraft) - mostly because I'm no good at any competitive online game that isn't a shooter
SNES RPGs - the main offenders are Earthbound, Final Fantasy III, and Chrono Trigger.

These are by no means bad games, its just I'd rather play something else than these games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ: Yeah, but you forgot Raze's Hell, that needs to be on that list.
bogallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bogallow

Bioshock- Big twist was... not so much.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

If I were to mention them at all, people would rain fury down upon me and your thread would be locked faster than you can say "Jack Frost."

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Chyro
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: 

It's funny some of the stuff that can happen to you while playing that game.  There's enemies that will turn you into zombies(instantly killing you), enemies that will you psionics to mind control you, enemies that can move extremely far and melee one shot you , they will throw grenades killing half your crew, your soldiers can panic(dropping grenades or just running away only to get shot.)   Civilians will run at the dudes that turn them into zombies thus giving you more enemies to fight,  each civilian that dies will make you lose money.    And in the beginning a majority of your party members will die in one hit.  

It's still my favorite game of all time even with that crazy difficulty.  And it's still not as hard as Twilight 2000.
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Famov

Rock Band/ Guitar Hero 

I hate to sound like a hater, but people will look back on those games with derision. Trust me. 

That's about it, really. I am open minded when it comes to games.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By mikemcn

Almost anything Valve-related with the exception of The Half life games and left 4 Dead.  

Counter Strike, Portal, Team Fortress..... all are enigmas to me.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By carlthenimrod

Dynasty Warriors. There are games I don't like and what not. But I don't understand how people enjoy those games. They are just mind-numbingly boring.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By foggel
@bogallow said:
" Bioshock- Big twist was... not so much. "
Man, the ending kind of reminded me of The Usual Suspects. Never saw that coming. 

Halo 2 & 3. 
Gears of War 2 - It's Geow 1... with new levels? I wanted to know how the story unfolded, but I was done with the geow 1 gameplay, which the sequel was identical to. 
Off the top of my head I can't think of more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chyro: That video intimidates me, if there's any other system to that game other than pointing and shooting, I'd be finished.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see the appeal of every type of game.

Anyways, the only genres I can't enjoy are RTS/Flight Sim games. 

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Rayfield said:
I wonder what he thinks of Dark Siders....
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrKlorox

Fallout 2 buggy? Whaaaaat? Even so, there are fan patches already. And Fallout Tactics isn't an RPG.

I'd have to go with Fallout 3 as a big one I don't get. I LOVED the first two Fallout games, which practically excludes me from enjoying Fallout 3. Bioshock is my main one. I don't understand one bit why people like it. I can understand why people might like Fallout 3 if they hadn't played the first two... but I can't imagine any scenario of liking Bioshock for any reason.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hot_Karl

Man I wish that I had some sort of list that stated games that I don't get.