McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McPaper

Dead or Alive 4 - hands down.

The reason why Team Ninja carries out an aesthetic of overly sexualized characters is very clear to me now. This is primarly due to the fact that most of their games are incredibly frustrating due to design descisions and general difficulty.

Dead or Alive 4 falls right into this mechanic due to its single player and its online mode. Let me elaborate:

In regards to the difficulty mode I believe the game ranges from Easy Medium Hard or to Medium Hard Very Hard, I cant recall but I do recall my game is set on the lowest one. Now you may cry "noob", not entirely seeing as the game is fuck hard on every single one of these difficulties to the extent that there is no difference between them.
I can progress fine with a character through the 'story mode' but every so often the game will throw to you some mother fucking cheating AI. That's right I said it, it cheats. This fucker will predict and counter your every combo no matter how mixed you get it in regards to the height scale.

This brings me on to the second point, the counter system. The counter system is an integral part to the comabt in Dead or Alive 4 and was a new feature added to the release of the game. However the timing of this to be required must be dead on and various attacks must be countered in various directional presses. This deduces to something very luck based, which is in turned based on your skill to react. This problem only aggrivates when you go to the lag friendly world of Online play.

Moving on to the Online play, we see more sugar coating to the rage machine. You cant have a quick match with someone, first you must enter their lobby. A colorful testement to how long they have actually been playing and how long it will take for them to kick you and spam the the lol@u emote. The lobby system can be customized to a variety of 'chibi-esque' locals such as a cozy looking japanese home to a space station each with the toppings of some cute anime stuff thrown around. So here you have a virtually pointless lobby you can run around in and do nothing until the match starts, this only adds to the frustration.

Anyway, let me explain that there is nobody doing the solo modes. Everyone sets out a variety of play styles such as winner stays on or 'kumite' which is the host essentially must fight all of you so you are essentially his bitch in regards to play time even if you do happen to beat him.
So lets you finally get round to your turn after watching the laggiest match of Hayabusa vs Hayabusa (thats Ken vs Ken for you SF4 people) its finally your turn. Praying that the lag was only due to that other player.

So you pick your character after an awkward display of "who is that guy is going to pick, I aint picking first, he should pick first". So anyway you try your best realising countering is worth fuck all so you just baitstep and knock people down stairs for the entire match.

Anyway lets say you win, congrats. Too bad Kumite is on and you are back behind 6 people waiting in line to fight xXdArkDrAg0NXx666. If you happened to lose, then it would be to some A+ or S+ rankers which are the only ones with the balls to play winner stays. Nope fuck that, I aint watching Genfu do a 1 hit kill combo again.

Overall Dead or Alive 4 has a number of aspects which infuriate me. Xbox Live's "jump in" can lick my balls.

However, I still think Dead or Alive 4 is a great game despite making me rip my hair out. I enjoy boobs and girls getting kicked in boobs.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

DOAX2. Problem solved.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza

I totally agree.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thegoldencat7

I had no problems with DOA4. Finished my flatmates copy 100% once when I was bored to hell. The most frustrating game Ive played is Burnout Revenge. Many playstation 1 boxes lost their lives so I could finish that.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icil

Good post. Insightful. I wonder why they even included Kumite (?) mode, it seems like a stupid design decision. I've only played DOA3, so my knowledge is limited to that, but I think counters are luck based as you say, but you can influence the probability by watching your opponent's tendencies. In those cases, you can choose a counter direction that is more likely to work against their attack and therefore you get more success.

As for myself personally, if I had a general principle for what kind of game makes me 'angry', I'd say that whenever a game is made so that you could spam a move or rely on a sheepish tactic and having it work well really pisses me off. It happens in Street Fighter 4 online a lot, but it's not limited to multiplayer. Assassin's Creed's (double possessive?) counter system was stupidly too good and reliable, and it made me angry at the fact that the fun could potentially get sucked out of the game by just hitting counter at the right time. Dumb design decision.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By keyhunter

The only problem with DOA 4 is that stupid boss. The key to that game is knowing a shit tonne of combo's and getting really good with Bayman.

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Scieran

I'm ANGRY at all sport games.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McPaper
@keyhunter: Oh god that boss. Only way I could beat it was cheaply using a running to rush attack over and over.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The only time in my life when I broke a controller happened after narrowly escaping a 20 minute police pursuit, exploding in happiness after thinking that I had made my escape, only to hit a random spike strip and get busted right at the end of the game. L-A-M-E.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By keyhunter
@McPaper: Are we talking Dragon Ball Z rush attack? Or like, Running, to a certain distance the AI can't comprehend, and then using a Y+B attack on them?
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

Street Fighter 4.

So much, in fact, that I haven't played for a month and never have any intentions on going back.  Too too stressful.

gezkrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By gezkrat

Wii Golf. Every time I play that game I end up throwing my wiimote across the room in blind fury, and consequently end up drunk.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Guardian

Recently, trying to kill Radec on elite in Killsone 2. Sonofabitch. 

Avatar image for deactivated-62acf8675bf9a
deactivated-62acf8675bf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

one of my earliest memories of game rage was with bushido blade on ps1
survival mode pissed me off

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By suneku

So many games I've gotten angry at over the years, but my most recent was Spider-Man Web of Shadows. It had an amazingly large amounts of glitches, some of which were glitches I haven't seen in years. The repetitive gameplay and missions are the worst I've seen in years. It's pathetic to see another comic licensed game suck so much, especially when there have been other Spidey games (Ultimate Spider-Man for example), which were good and pretty much laid out the blue print for a good Spidey game. And I haven't even begun to talk about the voice acting and dialogue. Thank god I decided to rent this instead of buying it. Whew... that felt good. I've been needing to rant about this for a while.

leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By leeto

The last game I got angry at was Baroque on the Wii. I got so excited by the prospect of a rogue-like on my Wii. But then I experienced the crappy camera. And the bland grungy NPCs. And then the crappy fighting. I nearly primal roared at the heavens for getting my hopes up so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bionic commandos checkpoint placements were a joke.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunnBjorn

Crysis,

For the obvious reason that you need a frickin' souped-up PC in order to play the damn thing in high res. settings!

rokkis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rokkis

Hmm.. From the top of my head,

Prototype
Dead or Alive 2,3,4
Street Fighter 4
World of Warcraft PvP
Counter Strike
Team Fortress 2 (still love the game, though)

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Demo

Many NES games, Street Fighter II, some Contra games like Super C and Hard Corps, and games that you get hit and fall into a pit like Zelda II and Castlevania.

After reading this thread, I'm happy I didn't buy Street Fighter IV.

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joey2683

Super Street Fighter 2, Tokyo Extreme Racer, Dead Or Alive 4, Commando(PC).