Games With An Inconsistent Art-style

AquaGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By AquaGeneral

I have heard quite frequently discussion from developers about avoiding an inconsistent art-style, which leads to the question: "Are there any games with an inconsistent art-style?". I am struggling to even think of one example.

Just to be clear, what I consider to be an inconstancy would be something like some textures are gritty, while others are almost a solid colour. Or it could be something as drastic as some scenery looking like it taken out of completely different game, in a different genre even. An example of what I am NOT talking about is the contrast in controlled and non-controlled areas in The Saboteur - this is an art-style in its own right.

Can anyone think of any games with inconstancies in the art-style?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By GreggD

Amped 3 is completely consistent in its inconsistency.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder
XMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By XMark

Duke Nukem Forever's hive level had an incredibly different (and downright disturbing) tone from everything else in the game around it.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Yanngc33

Alice Madness Returns imposes a new art style every 90 minutes to uneven results

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By Little_Socrates

Weren't the Bombcast guys complaining about the consistent lack of style in the MOBAs (DOTA, League of Legends, and Heroes of Neuwirth) and how within each one they all lacked a consistent style? Just compare Annie to Master Yi to Ashe from League of Legends. Hell, Master Yi seems to have an inconsistent art style within his own character.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

@Little_Socrates said:

Weren't the Bombcast guys complaining about the consistent lack of style in the MOBAs (DOTA, League of Legends, and Heroes of Neuwirth) and how within each one they all lacked a consistent style? Just compare Annie to Master Yi to Ashe from League of Legends. Hell, Master Yi seems to have an inconsistent art style within his own character.

What the...is Master Yi supposed to be some sort of ridiculous Sam Fisher parody?

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vonocourt

@Yanngc33 said:

Alice Madness Returns imposes a new art style every 90 minutes to uneven results

Really? Ninety minutes is a bit short, more like two and a half hours, and I thought chapter three was the only jarring one, but even then they set it up reasonably well.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Hailinel said:

@Little_Socrates said:

What the...is Master Yi supposed to be some sort of ridiculous Sam Fisher parody?

I really have no idea. Unfortunately, he's also one of the easiest characters for new players to pick up, so even only having played six or seven games I've seen a LOT of him.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

I find most games are inconsistent when looking at the dlcs, mainly skins added to the full game. Games that suffer from it are Fable 3 (with the Industrial Knight suit and others), Star Wars The Force Unleashed 1 & 2 (with weird cameo skins), Resident Evil 5 (with the stripped down suits), Mortal Kombat (with the Freddy Krugger and Kratos adittions), Soul Calibur IV (and the Apprendice, Darth Vader and Yoda characters)...  I hate the off-placed dlcs. 

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By keris

How about Final Fantasy VII where character models looked totally different in game and even in different cut scenes.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@BeachThunder said:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden?
Limbo of the Lost...

Both have consistently stolen art assets and the latter actually charged for the fact. LOL

@Yanngc33 said:

Wrong. New theme every level, same art style overall.

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Flaboere

You could argue the Serius Sam games; they take place whereever, the only criteria seems to be that there has to be a huge space around you. Also, the monsters seem completely random, and have nothing to do with the setting or theme. One monster has nothing to do with the other, design-wise.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Levius
Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grissefar

Maybe Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. First, you're in pretty future Tokyo and then you're in lame ass, deserted, dark, boring New York.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

The classic example would be Star Ocean:  The Second Story, which has beautiful backgrounds that your sprite-characters walk around over, and generally bad combat scenes.  The game was fun and I like it, but that problem was so glaring that I frequently found myself wishing the scenes were ugly just so the characters would look better.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It's just a filler thing for them to say in dev diaries when they can't think of anything interesting. Like when they say something is "visceral".

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By James_ex_machina

Limbo

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dungbootle

FFXIII

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Yanngc33

@Vonocourt said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Really? Ninety minutes is a bit short, more like two and a half hours, and I thought chapter three was the only jarring one, but even then they set it up reasonably well.

Was chapter 3 the one with the hornet samurais? because that went on for way too long

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By left4doof

To some extent Portal 2 .

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Justin258

I can't really think of any. 

Honestly, I think an inconsistent art style is better than the same environment over and over again, which is something that this generation seems to be attached to. For some unfathomable reason, nobody wants to complain about it! I'm talking about how Deus Ex HR has about two colors - orange and dark gray and Oblivion is just one big meadow with a few towns, villages, and farms here and there.

Guys, it's possible to have a consistent art style and a varied environment.

AquaGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By AquaGeneral

Great posts everyone! I think that games such as Portal 2 don't actually have inconsistent art-styles, it's more about just a change in scenery. The entire game looks like it is Portal 2 is some way, or at least it looks like a game made by Valve (some locations even bare resemblance to Half Life 2 for instance).

Spider Man Shattered Dimensions is a good example, just from watching the Ask Me Anything I saw multiple levels of detail change between levels. The brawling parts looks so bare compared to many other parts of the game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder
Serious Sam Double D looks like a horrible mash up of styles (...and perspectives...and light sources...) This is without doubt one of the ugliest looking games I've ever seen =/
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss
@BeachThunder said:
Serious Sam Double D looks like a horrible mash up of styles (...and perspectives...and light sources...) This is without doubt one of the ugliest looking games I've ever seen =/
But it's so consistent in it total lack of consistency.
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vonocourt

@BeachThunder said:

I think that's the point, well not so much the ugly part.

@Yanngc33 said:

Was chapter 3 the one with the hornet samurais? because that went on for way too long

Yeah, all of the chapters went on for an hour too much. But that one in particular was the worst. The woodblock sections really sucked after the first one. Though the style was a nice change from the usual "dark alice" fare the game and other recent interpretations had. Once you got used to it of course

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlexW00d

I think people are confusing art style with theme.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Quake. The 4 episodes are so disjointed it's like they took maps from 4 different games and threw the Quake guy in there.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Maluvin
@AlexW00d said:

I think people are confusing art style with theme.

I have to agree.