Games with great dev commentary built in

spartica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What are some examples? I know Valve, when they made games, did some cool commentary in game. Any examples or links to commentary in game would be nice.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not in game, but here's where you can watch Hideki Kamiya play through all of Bayonetta.

Loading Video...

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Bioshock and Duke Nukem 3D remastered have them.

SpotAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deus Ex Human Revolution DC has a nice one. It automatically plays when you enter a trigger area, and it even has nice graphics to identify the speakers.

I've been meaning to try out the commentary on Life Is Strange, since I loved that game so much.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By hans_maulwurf

I loved replaying all of WadjetEyes Blackwell games with dev commentary (from Dave Gilbert for the most part). I think he does the coding and writing for the games and is also the one hiring the artists and directing the voice actors, meaning he can talk both informed and personal about pretty much every facet of development.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also not in-game, but Mike Stout and Tony Garcia (formerly of Insomniac Games) recorded full playthroughs of Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3 where they dove pretty deep into design, and they're excellent.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double Fine has a series called Dev Plays. Haven't watched too many episodes, but what I have seen seems good. Good to know that young me got frustrated at The Lion King for the Genesis because Disney wanted the developers to combat people renting the game out once and beating it in the same night.

Loading Video...

Bioshock and Duke Nukem 3D remastered have them.

I found the Bioshock dev commentary to be disappointing for two reasons:

1. Despite finding the tapes, the game didn't register that I had found them, so most of them are still locked off to me.

2. It would have been so easy for them to make it neat and have the developer commentary be like all the other tapes you find in the game. Could even have photos of the crew doing the commentary in the corner like it does for all other tapes. Instead it's the most lazy implementation I could think of.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: The Devs Play episodes with John Romero are great. That dude still loves Doom so much.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can listen to the TF2 dev commentary and sob quietly as they talk about their dedication to a clean, crisp, consistent aesthetic when they were designing the characters.

MrMatooki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrMatooki

Monkey Island 2 Remaster had a developer mode where each time you enter a scene you get a discussion between the creators about it.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monkey Island 2 Remaster had a developer mode where each time you enter a scene you get a discussion between the creators about it.

The remasters of both Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango do, as well.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: despite the ridiculous headgear and weapons, their silhouettes do remain readable. I think they did a great job.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You might be interested in this, from our friends at Giant Bomb Dot Com:

Loading Video...

I have not watched all of it because I have not played the games and didn't want non-stop spoilers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

This is a really interesting topic.

I'll throw in Republic Commando by Brett Douville:

Loading Video...

Also Conker's Bad Fur Day by a few of the developers at Rare:

Loading Video...

NOTE: Unfortunately both never got around to finishing the game but they're still both quite interesting for as far as they got.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I approve of this post.

I really wish more devs had the money and time to dedicate to doing the kind of stuff Valve does in this regard. I LOVED going through the Orange Box developer stuff. Fascinating and so cleanly executed to boot. Even going so far as the do things to the camera and actually show the player things in the engine as they were talking about them. Really solid. I want to check out the Bioshock stuff but it seems like such a fuckin' chore to go through, I'll probably just find a video with all of it sometime and watch through it eventually.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By DharmaBum

Firewatch has really good audio logs with various members of the dev team and the cast, and they're located in areas relevant to what they're discussing.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Alan Wake had pretty good built-in developer commentary, though if I recall, it was only included in the special edition of the game. I remember immediately restarting the game with commentary after I beat it, and it was interesting enough that I went through and beat it again.

Indrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pillars of Eternity has an option to enable commentary.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That one was excellent, I had totally forgotten I listened to that whole thing :)

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I remember the halo master chief collection having some good in game commentary. Half-life 2 as well if I'm remembering right