Avatar image for rachelepithet
#1 Posted by rachelepithet (1646 posts) -

You'd think with all the AAA delays, other games would get more attention and pick up the slack. But many unopposed games came out this year and were forgotten so quick you'd think they were launched the same day as MK9/Portal2/Socom.

  1. Evolve
  2. Dying Light
  3. The Order
  4. Grim Fandango
  5. Codename Steam
  6. Wolfenstein
Avatar image for goonage
#2 Posted by goonage (185 posts) -

Because while some of them were pretty fun, they were (for the most part) forgettable. Except "The Order 1886", which was apparently a complete disaster.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
#3 Posted by Deranged (2022 posts) -

Dying Light was incredible (to me at least). I'm a sucker for open world zombie games, and it was only made better with the inclusion of first person parkour :D

Avatar image for donutfever
#4 Posted by DonutFever (4051 posts) -

Grim Fandango and Hotline Miami 2.

Avatar image for kumatose
#5 Edited by Kumatose (51 posts) -

Grim Fandango was a HD rerelease of a game that never sold well in the first place, not a brand new game. And while it's one of the best games ever, point-and-click adventures are never going to attain Call of Duty levels of popularity.

Avatar image for ravelle
#6 Posted by Ravelle (3306 posts) -

Massive Chalice, it apparently came out and nobody is talking about it.

Avatar image for nickhead
#7 Posted by nickhead (1260 posts) -

@ravelle: Which is a shame because I liked the few hours I played and can't wait to get back to it.

Avatar image for jesus_phish
#8 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3878 posts) -

@ravelle: It just came out didn't it? Possibly the worst time to release a game is right before E3.


Avatar image for htr10
#9 Posted by htr10 (1058 posts) -

Forgotten by who? People who didn't play them and never planned on playing them? I didn't forget that the Grim Fandango HD remaster came out this year because I played it. In fact, I didn't forget that any of the other 5 games that I didn't play this year came out this year either. Point of this thread other than possibly being a stealth test for early onset dementia?

Avatar image for beachthunder
#10 Posted by BeachThunder (15139 posts) -

@kumatose said:

Grim Fandango was a HD rerelease of a game that never sold well in the first place, not a brand new game. And while it's one of the best games ever, point-and-click adventures are never going to attain Call of Duty levels of popularity.

Objection!

Myst was the highest selling PC game for almost an entire decade.

Avatar image for ravelle
#11 Posted by Ravelle (3306 posts) -

@nickhead said:

@ravelle: Which is a shame because I liked the few hours I played and can't wait to get back to it.

I remember watching the Quicklook EX and looking forward to playing it, then it went in to early access for a long time and sort of forgot about it.

Avatar image for htr10
#12 Edited by htr10 (1058 posts) -

@beachthunder said:
@kumatose said:

Grim Fandango was a HD rerelease of a game that never sold well in the first place, not a brand new game. And while it's one of the best games ever, point-and-click adventures are never going to attain Call of Duty levels of popularity.

Objection!

Myst was the highest selling PC game for almost an entire decade.

Myst appealed to a completely different audience than your standard point and click game. Your grandma could play Myst.

Avatar image for kumatose
#13 Edited by Kumatose (51 posts) -

@htr10:

@htr10 said:
@beachthunder said:
@kumatose said:

Grim Fandango was a HD rerelease of a game that never sold well in the first place, not a brand new game. And while it's one of the best games ever, point-and-click adventures are never going to attain Call of Duty levels of popularity.

Objection!

Myst was the highest selling PC game for almost an entire decade.

Myst sold better, but that has nothing to do with him saying that Grim Fandango is a better game. Please don't equate sales to quality of product, this whole website will implode upon itself.

Well, it was a correction to my offhand comment about the sales potential of point-and-click adventures. I did forget about Myst's popularity, but that's probably because I've never been a huge fan of that game despite being a fan of the genre.

Of course I think Grim Fandango is a much better game from a quality standpoint, and in a just world, it would've sold more.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
#14 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (2167 posts) -

Grim Fandango is the one I feel the worst about, never played the original (to my great shame).

Avatar image for htr10
#15 Edited by htr10 (1058 posts) -

@kumatose said:

@htr10:

@htr10 said:
@beachthunder said:
@kumatose said:

Grim Fandango was a HD rerelease of a game that never sold well in the first place, not a brand new game. And while it's one of the best games ever, point-and-click adventures are never going to attain Call of Duty levels of popularity.

Objection!

Myst was the highest selling PC game for almost an entire decade.

Myst sold better, but that has nothing to do with him saying that Grim Fandango is a better game. Please don't equate sales to quality of product, this whole website will implode upon itself.

Well, it was a correction to my offhand comment about the sales potential of point-and-click adventures. I did forget about Myst's popularity, but that's probably because I've never been a huge fan of that game despite being a fan of the genre.

Of course I think Grim Fandango is a much better game from a quality standpoint, and in a just world, it would've sold more.

Yeah, I totally misunderstood BeachThunder's post and completely changed my above comment after you quoted me. Sorry.

Avatar image for jeust
#16 Posted by Jeust (11739 posts) -

I can't remember...

Avatar image for fredchuckdave
#17 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -
@jeust said:

I can't remember...

This about sums it up.

Avatar image for yummylee
#18 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

Are you judging what is a ''forgotten game'' by the activity its board gets on Giant Bomb? Because I can't imagine that's a good indicator of games that immediately fall off the radar; most games barely get any discussion on here really. It's mostly all about overly broad topics such as ''YOUR FAVOURITE GAMES??'' or threads related to the staff on here unfortunately. Though there are outliers such as the Souls games, and I'm genuinely surprised at how much activity the Witcher 3 board has seen.

Avatar image for devil240z
#19 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

all of them. there hasn't been a new release this year I cared about.

Avatar image for fredchuckdave
#20 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@yummylee: I forgot about forgetting about the Evil Within! Actually I think that game's fine just don't like playing it for long stretches and there's always something better to play.

Avatar image for nickhead
#21 Posted by nickhead (1260 posts) -

@ravelle said:
@nickhead said:

@ravelle: Which is a shame because I liked the few hours I played and can't wait to get back to it.

I remember watching the Quicklook EX and looking forward to playing it, then it went in to early access for a long time and sort of forgot about it.

I grabbed it on Xbox Gold since it launched as this month's free game. Seems to be a pretty competent version so far.

Avatar image for finaldasa
#22 Posted by FinalDasa (3206 posts) -

No video games were released in 2015.

Moderator Online
Avatar image for alexw00d
#23 Posted by AlexW00d (7572 posts) -

What the eff is codename steam?

Avatar image for skullpanda1
#24 Posted by SkullPanda1 (1625 posts) -

Tomb of the Necrodancer. I need to buy it. I just keep forgetting

Avatar image for shinjin977
#25 Posted by shinjin977 (911 posts) -

Not so much forgot as completely change my opinion on. I love DA:I then I played Witcher 3. Fuck DA:I. I think I purely just love DA:I because of the long drought of rpg to play.