Games you replay periodically

• 142 results
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

There are some games, or entire series in fact, that I periodically replay in their entirety.

Right now, I'm going to start a new character in Mass Effect and will play continuously to ME2 and ME3. I'll do every side mission, complete the entire story as a whole. I think this is the only series I do this with. This will be the second time I've done this.

I do, however, also periodically replay Final Fantasy X. It's the first game I was ever addicted to, to the point where I would still be up at 0400 playing it. I play this game about once every two years. From start to finish, including all the Dark Aeons and Penance.

I also replay XCOM: Enemy Within every couple of months. I think I finished the game somewhat like 30 times.

With the Halo Collection coming out, I might start a ritual like this with that series as well. Although I am obviously unsure if I'll actually be drawn to it as much at this point.

Do you have any games, or entire series, that you periodically replay?

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Strangely I always come back to Lord of the Rings Online every Christmas. I'm not even a high level on it and I've never really been a fan of MMO's, yet every Christmas I'll re-install it to wander about. By time December has finished I've usually uninstalled it and forgotten about it again. I think it just reminds me of growing up, reading the books and being at home.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really replay much anymore. There is just so many new games coming out all the time these days that i just don't have the time. I usually find my self "replaying" games by watching lets plays of a particular game i liked. I do however have some favorites i always go back to like Resident evil and Parasite eve 2 nothing else have i ever found the need or want to really replay and its probably based of nostalgia if anything so maybe that might change as i get older.

I'm defiantly looking forward to one day going back say in 10 years and playing some of that stuff that i loved in the 360 era that is just to fresh in my mind to enjoy currently

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Halo is about it, my friends from Uni and I will still play Halo 3 throughout the year. I normally play games just for nostalgia rather then to experience the game again.

Halo 2 came out the same year i moved from England to America, and through the MP was the primary was i kept in touch with my friends in England. Playing the Halo 2 maps again in the MCC is probably one of the most exciting things I've done in a game in years.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By nightriff

Persona 4, I always find a reason to play through it again every few months (or at least watch the ER).

In the past I used to revist RE4 quite often but it has been years since I've played that game.

I'm debating on making BioShock Infinite a game I revisit every year, so far I beat it twice last year and this year so maybe keep that streak going. I love that game so much and it can be beat in 1 or 2 sittings so it isn't that big of a time sink (like P4).

I really wish I played Ico and Shadow of the Colossus every year, for whatever reason I haven't but god damn those games are fantastic (and again, not huge time sinks especially Ico).

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I replay KOTOR 1 and 2 a lot, as well as most of the Halo games. I also replayed a lot of XCOM enemy Within.

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll replay the Metal Gear games every so often, but the game I go back to consistently is Company of Heroes. That combo of WWII and RTS makes it a game hard for me to keep away from. Too bad Company of Heroes 2 wasn't more to my liking.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Streets of Rage 2

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

• Final Fantasy X
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Symphony of the Night
  • Devil May Cry 4

Those are probably the big ones. I have some other games I've played a lot of, but these are the ones I still tend to go back to. I've had the itch for FF7 as well, but aside from a halfway excursion last year, It's been a long time for that game. While I've played 10 basically every 2 years since it came out. Symphony is a given, that game is almost infinitely replayable, and it doesn't take too long either. The reason I play DMC 4 rather than 3 is just that I like playing as Nero a lot. I spend a lot of time skipping cutscenes....

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've done the Mass Effect series play-through 2 or 3 times now and am itching to start it over again. I also go back and replay the 'Ezio Trilogy' from Assassin's Creed every now and then, though I might have to add Black Flag to that now.

Not sure if Civilization 5 counts, but it is my number 1 most played game on Steam for a reason.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason, I always get the urge to replay Majora's Mask during the holidays. I skipped it last year because of A Link Between Worlds and i'm probably going to skip it this year because I'll wait for the 3DS remake.

It's mostly nostalgia because I remember getting that game during one of my best holiday breaks when I was a kid.

Banjo Kazooie is an other one I replay a lot.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mgs2.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Last weekend I replayed Vice City to 100% for the 9th time. I also play GTA2, Need For Speed High Stakes and Persona 4 around once a year.

Every winter there will be a snow storm that'll take the power out for a day. I charge my PSP before it hits and play a bunch of Valkyria Chronicles 2 or 3. Maybe that'll change now that I have a Vita and 3DS.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ClaritySam

Not sure if Civilization 5 counts, but it is my number 1 most played game on Steam for a reason.

I've got over 450 hours logged on Civ 5. I think it might be time to admit I have a problem...

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mindbullet said:

I've got over 450 hours logged on Civ 5. I think it might be time to admit I have a problem...

I have 700 hours across both XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within. It's important to remember you don't have a problem as long as you don't admit it. Keep a straight face and keep playing.

In all seriousness though, I understand why it is tough to count Civilization as it isn't really a story driven game that you replay. It's game you start is different from each other. Still, in the spirit on this question it definitely counts I would say. It's not like you periodically return to it to continue the game you left with. You return to it to start a new game.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep coming back to Diablo 3. Beside that I like to revisit Skyrim, the new Wolfenstein, some RPGs (Mass Effect n' stuff). I decided to stop replaying KOTOR games simply because I was chasing that feeling I had when I played them for the first couple of times.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rethla

Jak and Daxter

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I just played Portal 2 through a second time. I've also played through the Mass Effect games several times. I think the game that I've gone back to the longest is Jedi Knight 2: Outcast. Every time I've gotten a new computer over he years I've found the disk and installed it. I have played it in several a years at this point but I'll probably play it again.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ungodly

KOTOR, the entire Mass Effect series, Dragon Age one and two, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Chrono Trigger.

I'm excited about the Master Chief collection and Majora's Mask remasters, so I can add them to the list.

For me, I just go back to classics when I'm waiting for downloads, or feeling nostalgic.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Corevi

I play God Hand, Metal Gear Rising, Super Mario World and Kirby Super Star every year.

I've replayed Mass Effect 2 somewhere between 4 and 8 times and Uncharted 2 like 10 times. I tend to avoid replaying most older games because I'm afraid/know they won't hold up (like every N64 game and almost every PSX game).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'd like to represent the other side of the table here in that I never replay games and quite frankly am confused by all you fine folks that do. I can't even bring myself to play through games that I absolutely adored just because it feels too boring for me to experience the same things all over again. So I'm always amazed by people that put hundreds of hours into a single game, replaying it over and over again.

How do you guys do it? I mean an RPG I understand but something like Halo or something?

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the replay Freedom Fighters every year or so. It is my favorite game ever.

supermulletman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Metal Gear Solid(any of them)
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Super Metroid
  • Mega Man 2

@brandondryrock I played thru Freedom Fighters again a couple of years ago, that game is still excellent.

@zevvion That's a lot of XCOM, I just picked up EW for ipad and I'm looking forward to seeing how that version holds up.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

How do you guys do it? I mean an RPG I understand but something like Halo or something?

I think it depends on the person, but for me it's either a case of enjoying the gameplay of a particular game enough that even going back to it for a third time or whatever is still fun, or its something like retelling a good story again. There are things about Mass Effect for instance that I really like and aren't really done the same way in other games. Whether it's the particular way you shoot things, or certain characters or levels or what have you. I know what I like about these things and I know the ME series can provide it when I feel like experiencing it again.

Though I can totally understand where you're coming from. Different strokes, as they say.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently, I've played and beat Fez on 3 different platforms. I will probably play it again, at least a few more times.

As for older stuff, I play Shenmue at least once per year. Fuck off, don't judge me.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any Grand Theft Auto.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I usually go back and play Symphony of the night every year or so. It never ceases to be one of my favorite games ever. I also go back and play through the Batman Arkham games pretty frequently. I plan on playing Origins again closer to Christmas because that game is set on Christmas eve and has a ton of appropriate atmosphere and aesthetic for the holiday.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Doom

Doom II

Thief: The Dark Project

Thief: The Metal Age

UFO: Enemy Unknown (AKA X-COM: UFO Defence)

X-COM: Terror From The Deep

Lemmings

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sinusoidal

Lots and lots, but the games I replay most often are Sexy Parodius (usually drunk) and Space Harrier 2. They're both pretty short and I've gotten pretty damned good at them over the years. Though once upon a time I 1CCed Sexy Parodius, yet the last time I played, I needed a half dozen credits to beat it.

I have been known to binge on Metroidvanias, Sly Coopers, Ratchet & Clanks, 2D Zeldas and Final Fantasies (not all of them though, screw 2 and 3) now and again.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I don't know if this counts, but every once in a while I'll wipe my saves on the Picross e games and do the puzzles over again. It's not like I really remember "oh yeah, this one is a picture of a dog".

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By brandondryrock

@supermulletman: Yeah Freedom Fighters holds up so well. I remember when it first came out and my mind was blown by how you could change a level by doing something in another level. Ugh it is so good.

Windmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Windmills

I play through Pokemon Snap about once a year. Usually after a discussion with a friend about how you can pretty much beat it in a two hour sitting.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity:

I think you need to still be a child inside. They love repetition, so do I. I think I've watched Pacific Rim like 9ish times now, because I think it's awesome. Similarly, I just thought of Revengeance. I replay that game every so often, just because it's awesome.

In the case of Mass Effect, I just played for a bit and already find myself being drawn into the world again and checking out codex entries. It's just a desire to be some place else combined with nostalgia, I guess... maybe? Or maybe I need to stop smoking. Either way, it's a lot of fun for me.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PSO, Red, SotN, Conflict, Seiken Densetsu 3 and SC/SC:BW are my big 6 but seeing some of your list makes me think I should add Kotor to it. I really loved those games, and sorta disliked the ME games..... I should give those another shot one of these days.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

FF8, FF9, Psychonauts, Mass Effect 1 +2, FFX, Chrono Trigger, Persona 4, Brutal Legend, and Legend of Legaia

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Just Cause II -- I usually install it, grind a few percent, get quickly bored of it and wait a couple of months for the next grind session.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half Life 2 and its episodes is my yearly replay game , just love LOVE the damn thing :P , as for my other games I replay them but it depends on the year , some years I want to have a FPS binge , others a RPG binge (this year has been a RPG binge) , this year I replayed FFXIII , altho I als played for the first time FFXIII 2 and of course Lighting returns (those 3 back to back mind you) Dragon Age Origins/Awakening and currently replaying Dragon Age 2.

As to why , well because I like them and their stories and the gameplay , but Im the type of person that loves to rewatch/replay/reread the things that i like .... it almost feels that when I dont my stuff becomes sad and lonely :( and needs attention from my part.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. God Hand

2. Final Fantasy VI

3. Symphony of the Night

4. Resident Evil 4

5. Windwaker

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zirilius
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@humanity: In my personal case, I generally tend to not care much about the story of a game. When the focus is on gameplay, setpieces or style, games I like tend to lend themselves to be experienced again. Having seen some cool looking shit once won't make it less cool the second time. But if you are in a game for the build and culmination of a story, it's inherently going to be less interesting to see it twice.

Also, by having somewhat niche taste, games I REALLY like are rarer than I'd want... So I got time to spare to play something I greatly enjoyed a couple more times, instead of playing something I barely care about once.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Superkenon

Most often it's SNES stuff.

A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Mega Man X in particular are games I've beaten more times than I can count. They're pretty much among the best games ever, and they can easily be beaten in a reasonably short sitting each, so it's easy to just get the urge to play them and go for it.

In general, it's pretty easy for me to decide to replay any given Zelda game. Fire Emblems see a lot of return traffic too, even though some of those are pretty hefty hauls.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Resident Evil 4. Favorite game of all-time.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Chrono Trigger, Shinobi III

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GiantLizardKing

I replay Chrono Trigger every few years, and I've gone back to Suikoden 2 several times as well. I've played through Rogue Legacy a couple of times in the past year as well. That game is so good...

Skyrim and Dark Souls too but for some reason I feel like those don't count? Not sure why.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I replay Castlevania: Symphony of the night every few years. Somewhere along the line playing it on multiple platforms became a goal too: PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and PC.

Usually once every 1-2 years in the spring I try getting back into Final Fantasy XI and then remember how it's changed lately, and how far behind I am.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just X-Com: Enemy Within, and arcade style games like PacMan DX CE, Defender, etc

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By TheHT

I don't replay games, but when I think "replay" I think playing through story modes again. Stuff like XCOM that's more gameplay focused (for me at least) I'll replay whenever I get the itch, which doesn't happen periodically.

I don't have any annual games or stuff like that, but I'm considering doing that with AC4. I really, really like that game. Haven't even beat it yet, I don't want it to end.

Wouldn't mind doing that with the Uncharted games either actually. Those first two games are among the few games I played again on higher difficulties, and I did them right after beating it for the first time to boot. Tons of fun.

Alan Wake and Remember Me I'd also probably single out for periodic replays. Stuff like Mass Effect and Dragon Age I just can't though. Once I do my playthrough, that's it, the story's done. Playing it again to try different things has always ended up with me just going down the same path, and when I try to force going down another I rapidly lose interest.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Super Metroid, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy IV, VI, Resident Evil 4, and Uncharted 2. I would replay Dark Souls or XYZ Souls game but I've sort of moved on to the next one by the time I get that urge (though I'll play them for hundreds of hours each).

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I used to play System Shock 2 and Baldur's Gate 1+2 once a year. I want to make that a habit again. I played through BG1 two months ago and will import that character into 2 when I worked my way through this year's games.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fallout 3 and new vegas,skyrim,re4,borderlands series and diablo 3 are what i usually replay alot.