Games You Think Only You Played

Avatar image for streets_of_vlad
streets_of_vlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@juggertrainuk: Wreckless was so so so awesome. I remember that game so well. E.O.E was surprisingly good too.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#302  Edited By mclargepants

@artisanbreads: It was definitely one that had a lot of lacking polish. Seriously broken classes, the game was way too easy when you used the button prompts, so we always turned that off, among other things. But oh man did I not care at all, that game is fantastic.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#303  Edited By Gruebacca

One of my friends has played the game Crasher, which I'm pretty sure only about 20 people in the entire world bought.

No Caption Provided

Literally. I'm not joking when I say about 20 people total played the game. IGN even reviewed it pretty low simply because nobody was playing it. (Which is a dumb reason, but whatever.)

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#304  Edited By notnert427

@evermoore said:
3. Monster Truck Madness 2 (PC, name is really self-explanatory, imo great at the time, but I could be crazy.)

Monster Truck Madness 1 & 2 were both fantastic. I remember having a bunch of stupid fun with those games. I used to just blast Metallica's Black Album while playing. (Yes, I was an awesome kid.) On a related note, Terminal Reality, who developed those games, made some awesome stuff early on. (Terminal Velocity, MTM 1&2, Fury3)

Raptor was great. It's perhaps my favorite top-down shooter of all-time, and that's saying something given the quarters I dumped into 1942/1943 arcades as a kid.

I mentioned Stuntman in the gaming accomplishments thread yesterday, but that was the hardest damn game I've ever played. "Chase the tuk-tuk!" Man, some of those scenes were brutal, but I managed to 100% all of them out of sheer spite for how tough that game was.

I had a demo of that game, and I remember consistently getting my ass kicked by the AI. I also recall thinking the game's graphics were amazing at the time.

Now I'll submit a few of my own:

Snow Bros. (NES) - My brother and I played the shit out of this game. We were the Snow Bros. This is probably the game I've beaten the most in my life. It also features the happiest music possible and a sweet-ass slot machine. If there had been Snow Bros. e-sports back in the day, oh man.

No Caption Provided

Destination Earthstar (NES) - You kids may be excited about your No Man's Sky, Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, and what-have-you, but pay respects to some o.g. shit. I was blowing up spaceships, exploring planets, and motorin' in video game space back in 1990 before you whippersnappers were a twinkle in pappy's eye. It was both first-person and a side-scroller. What.

No Caption Provided

NES Play Action Football (NES) - Everyone remembers Tecmo Bowl, and I, too, loved Tecmo Bowl. However, NES Play Action Football was a better game. It had a larger playbook, there weren't interceptions every other play, and the music was amazing. The graphics and sound effects were terrible, but that added to the charm.QBs couldn't run for shit. Their stamina would plummet if they ran five yards, and any hit would make them fumble. So you had to open it up and pass fairly often if you wanted to protect the ball, mixing in the occasional screen and counter. You really had to keep an eye on stamina, and occasionally sub in backups. I was running a shotgun spread with Elway back then. Shit was ahead of its time. We had some intense games of this.

No Caption Provided
supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#305  Edited By supermonkey122

Croc on Saturn, Kya Dark Lineage and Metal Arms on PS2.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was surprised today when I saw quite a few people remember what I thought was an insanely obscure Klik n' Play game called Pac-Guy. I figured that game (well, series) would have been lost to time, not be readily available on Amazon.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#307  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mclargepants said:

@artisanbreads: It was definitely one that had a lot of lacking polish. Seriously broken classes, the game was way too easy when you used the button prompts, so we always turned that off, among other things. But oh man did I not care at all, that game is fantastic.

Yeah trust me it had a lot going for it and I played a shitload. Just shows how ripe the SRPG genre is for grid based games like that aimed at the west. We so rarely get them, especially on a console like that.

Maybe it didn't sell much, but they could make downloadable games like that now for sure.

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#308  Edited By porjos

Apparently it was re-released for XBLA 8 years ago, so maybe its more popular than I had originally thought, but I played Crystal Quest on a relative's Mac ages ago.

No Caption Provided

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clush said:

Codename: Outbreak

This came out in 2000, so I was 15 years old. I loved shooters, and had never played a game that I thought was bad. Of course I played some bad games, but up until that point I thought they were either simply not my cup of tea or I didn't totally understand them (probably due to the language barrier... by 15, that quickly stopped being an issue). I thought there was no such thing as poorly made games... this changed that. OH MY LORD WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT. The game even, quite literally, looked like shit. It wasn't particularly buggy or broken, just bland and boring as hell. Especially compared to its peers back in the day. I think this is the only game I ever returned to the shop.

I remember liking it at the time. You can see the similarity to STALKER, especially if you compare to the very early 2001-2002 builds.

Avatar image for streets_of_vlad
streets_of_vlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By streets_of_vlad

Pretty sure no one ever played this but me and that's probably a good thing...

No Caption Provided

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone here play Gothic?

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MeliB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dussck: I need to play this one, thanks for sharing

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#314  Edited By Dalai

One that comes to mind is 8 Eyes for the NES. It was a poor man's Castlevania, more or less.

No Caption Provided

queenoflasers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By queenoflasers
No Caption Provided

Mantis! Hot damn I loved the setting & background fiction as a kid, but I couldn't figure out how to fly that ship to save my life. Every time I warped into a combat mission, I would just sit still and fire missiles at anything that came close to me.

Hickman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By Hickman
Firebugs (PS1)
Firebugs (PS1)

An absolutely stellar racer, though I've never met anyone else who has played it.

Pilgrimm1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silpheed for Sega Cd! Actually I have no idea whether this game did well or not, but it doesn't get the reverence it deserves. The controls weren't great but the level design and music were AMAZING!

Loading Video...

Also, Three Dirty Dwarves for Sega Saturn. Again, not the tighest controls, but great sense of humor, cool music and just plain cool.

Loading Video...

Also, Mr Bones.

Tall_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to think I was the only Windjammers devotee until I found this site. Jesus.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#320  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Incoming (PC)

Wonderful world of Billy (or something like that) (PC)

Tenchu Z.. Though I'm sure it's actually recognized but not brought up often.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Return Fire. That game was awesome. I'd spend ages completely leveling the opponents base instead of capturing their flag. I've never talked to a single person that has heard of it though :/