Games you wished you had experienced when they were new?

• 141 results
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Feanor

Counter Strike. Its hard being new at that game.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By Kyreo

Just about every game on the PS2... 

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By FunExplosions
@Ragdrazi: Wait a sec. You callin' me gramps? I'm 20. Hah. And I know exactly what HL1 demo you're talking about. The one that starts out near the beginning, then ends somewhere during a fight with the military, right as some big creature enters the room. That's the same demo that got me pumped for it, and this must've been waay after its release. And as far as BG2 goes, I completely see what you're saying with the overly "fantasied-up" atmosphere. I liked it, but then again, I only ever played the demo of the first Baldur's Gate. Hearing that it's more of a "realistic" fantasy makes me intrigued.
landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By landon
@MysteriousBob said:
" I would like to say Final Fantasy VII. I don't know whether or not I would have liked it and I'll never know now because I simply can't get past the horrible graphics. Yes, I know graphics 'don't matter' but those lego figures really make me disconnect with the seriousness of the plot. I can't associate the lego people of the gameplay graphics with the normal looking people of the pre-rendered cutscenes and artwork. If I played it back then I probably would have never had an issue.  I can see why they want that game remade... "
Yeah, this for me as well, and for the same reasons. I can't get past the bad looking characters for me to get involved with the story.
Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#55  Edited By Spiritof

Deus Ex.

I'm playing it right now, and, I just don't get it.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By inkeiren

Jesus Christ Half-Life 2. Played it in 2009 and still enjoyed it.

I can't imagine how much I'd have liked it if I played it when it was actually released. :(

SirBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By SirBilly

Just finished Dead Space. I probably would have liked it better pre-Uncharted 2. Still a good game though.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@MysteriousBob said:

" I would like to say Final Fantasy VII. I don't know whether or not I would have liked it and I'll never know now because I simply can't get past the horrible graphics. Yes, I know graphics 'don't matter' but those lego figures really make me disconnect with the seriousness of the plot. I can't associate the lego people of the gameplay graphics with the normal looking people of the pre-rendered cutscenes and artwork. If I played it back then I probably would have never had an issue.  I can see why they want that game remade... "

I had issues with 3d games back then.  I avoided 3d consoles of the 90s after playing FX Fighter on PC and seeing how much like ASS it looked. 

BTW, in the early and mid 90s only ARCADE games had reasonably good 3d graphics.  Voodoo2 changed my opinion about 3d games though...
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By time allen
@MysteriousBob said:
if i had not played that game when it originally came out, my reason for wanting to play it back then would have been to avoid all of the spoilers for that game that are, by now, plastered pretty much everywhere. looks like superficialities prevail here, though. :(
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Ragdrazi
@FunExplosions: No. I'm gramps. I'm treading this thread as my own personal memory lane.

And someone else remembers that demo!? That's amazing. I remember being freaked out when the soldiers blew the top of the radio silo.

As for BG1, I don't know. I loved it a hell of a lot. But something tells me modern players aren't going to like it. There's no fast travel, and there's "long" distances between locals. There's no auto save. You start out the game with almost everything being able to kick the shit out of you. Your characters demand sleep if you don't rest regularly.

While I think BG2 did character interaction a lot better, I just recall feeling like BG1 had its feet more on the ground and that was a good thing.
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Fable 2, because that way I could have been as pissed off at all the god damned glitches as I am right now back before it gave me headaches to be so angry.

Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By Turtlefuzz

Dreamcast.
I bought my Dreamcast for $20 about a year and half after the system was discontinued. At that time I could find some used DC games at Funcoland but now the only way to find those games is on eBay, for pretty crazy prices. 

Also, the System Shock games. I played through System Shock 1 with an emulator called System Shock Portable, and thought it was pretty cool, but really really dated. And I still haven't played System Shock 2, since it's only on eBay and apparently a huge pain in the ass to run on modern machines.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I wish I could've played Chrono Trigger when it was new in the Super Nintendo.  It was such an iconic RPG game and I only got to play it in the SNES emulator during the Playstation 2 era, so graphics of course wasn't really that impressive anymore.  I also did kind of play it in Playstation 1 when it had a re-release with anime cutscenes (and paired up with FFVI I think), but I didn't have the luxury of time to finish it since I was still studying back then.

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Spence_5060

I wish I had experienced Half Life and Half Life 2 when they were new. I know that they were still great at the time I played them, but if I had played them at the time that they were released, my mind would have been blown.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65  Edited By trophyhunter

none if a game is good it's good always

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Bigandtasty
Castlevania: SOTN.

I know "midway through the game, you get an inverted castle too" technically isn't much a spoiler, but it must have been a total mindfuck to anyone who discovered it on their own, without even knowing that there was an inverted castle.

Half-Life 2 would have been great to play in 2004 as well, but it has aged decently (especially by FPS standards) so it's not that big of a deal.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Pinworm45

End War. I really liked that game, but by the time I got it, there was very few people playing, and those that were, were a really high level and it was impossible to fight them.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By fjordson

Half Life 1 and Portal.

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By kingofpeanuts
@SeriousCat: Drop what you are playing and play it. I own so many copies it's ridiculous. 
MadThad0890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MadThad0890

GTA IV. i got it like a year late. the online was dead. i was MAD

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Fable 2, any Valve game, and any Halo game.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SpiralStairs
@SpiritOf: Really?

I played it not too long ago and it's become one of my favorite games of all time.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#73  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I didn't get a chance to play Gabriel Knight until nearly a decade after their release, and I sort of regret it.  They were some seriously awesome games.  Also, I really wish I could have gotten into Sonic when I was a kid.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Cramsy

Half Life. Still haven't played it yet 

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By RobotHamster

As a kid I had an nes then a ps1, its when I got a ps2 that I took my gaming more serious so any of the great and legendary games of the ps1/n64 era and before would be my answer.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By RedRoach

i think WoW, it would be nice to play it from the beginning, instead of starting so far behind of everyone else.

TwinkieTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TwinkieTime

Pokemon Red/Blue
Pong
Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat
Final Fantasy 6
Thief series
Diablo 2
Rome: Total War
Portal
Age of Empires
Punch Out

That's all I can think of right now.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SSValis

The first Halo, cool topic by the way. 

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DukesT3

Zelda and final fantasy. 

Archleone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81  Edited By Archleone

atari. i'm sad i missed the atari premier. forgive me, I wasn't born yet.  

edit: by which i mean the 2600. i still have a working one. we play it a few times a year. 

also the old mech warrior games with the ridiculously huge multi-joystick, 1000 button control setup.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#82  Edited By TheHT

System Shock 2. I skipped it and fear it may be too outdated to still carry the same weight. Can anyone tell me if it does?

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

ICO

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By Skytylz
@SeriousCat said:
" Ocarina of Time.  I've actually still have never played it even though I was heavily into N64 when it came out. "
If you have a Wii get it on virtual console.  Or you could find it on ebay for ur N64, but it's one of my favorite games ever. 

I wish I could have played Donkey Kong when it was new.  Then I would have been alive to see games as they matured, but unfortunately I wasn't born until 1992.
MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MMkain
@Archleone said:

also the old mech warrior games with the ridiculously huge multi-joystick, 1000 button control setup. 

Yes, Mechwarrior 2 was such an awesome game. I'm not sure if any mech game since has managed to top the level of mech customization and piloting depth present in that game.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#86  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Jeust: I guess the fact that, at the very least, the mechanics in Fable 2 were more stream-lined and simplified than in the first Fable makes me much more forgiving of its existing faults. 
I do agree that the map in SOTN is terrible in comparison to the successors.  I actually needed a FAQ to navigate certain parts of it in comparison to DOS and POR where I just ran through the game using my own navigating skills.  However, I find the voice acting ("WHAT IS A MAN!?") is part of the game's charm, and the art style I like a lot better than the anime style they developed in the later games.   
I even looked back at the predecessor to Dawn of Sorrow, Aria of Sorrow, and saw that the art style was the same as in Symphony of the Night.  I felt it looked twenty times better.
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ch3burashka

Legend of Zelda
Half-Life 
Doom  
Fallout 
SMB 
Sonic 
Monkey Island, anything Schaefer 
Metal Gear Solid 
Ico  
Metroid 
Final Fantasy 
Pac-Man, Asteroids, Centipede, etc. 

As of right now, I still haven't had a "current-gen" system, meaning when it was current, so basically my list of regrets runs a mile long.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#88  Edited By BeachThunder
@TheHT said:

" System Shock 2. I skipped it and fear it may be too outdated to still carry the same weight. Can anyone tell me if it does? "

I played it recently and I thought it was amazing. Also, if it really bothers you there are a bazillion mods for that game.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By fuzzyponken

Honestly, I don't have many regrets NOT playing fucking video games. I regret spending such ridiculous amounts of time of my childhood huddled in front of monitors instead of being outside or something.  

Also, I don't mind playing old games today. I can easily put myself in the mindset of the time of its release and appreciate them for what they were. The exception being the early 3D pixel games that weren't actually 3D at all like Doom and stuff, which gives me fucking headaches today, but I think I played most of the ones I wanted to play when they were hot shit. Maybe Outlaws, which I did play but only like the demo or something. That game seems pretty cool.  

The thing is, I've been around, gaming, ever since the 8-bit era, and my dad pirated everything worth mentioning, so I've never experienced what it's like wanting to play a game but not being able to. I guess it must be different for younger folks, hearing us old fucks rant on about old 8-bit games they never played and that looks like seizure inducing vomit to their eyes.  

I kind of wish I was around for arcades in the 80's, because I can't really experience that in any meaningful way today. Emulating arcade games isn't the same as dropping coins in machines in some smoke filled basement. 

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By TwoLines

I never got into System Shock, SS2, and Deus Ex, I wish I did, cause for me these games are unplayable now.
Old FPS are good only when they're sprite based.

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Dom

mr mosquito

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#92  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Metal Gear Solid or Pyschonauts. Thankfully, both games aged pretty well.

Avatar image for deactivated-63efc336e9a4d
deactivated-63efc336e9a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your mom.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Scrawnto

Deus Ex, Symphony of the Night, Chrono Trigger, and Arcanum.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#95  Edited By StarFoxA

The Mega Man games. I just recently went back and played through the first six and loved (almost) every minute of it. Mega Man 3 was a bore, though.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By slax

Deus Ex. Resident Evil 4 for the PS2.

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#97  Edited By risseless

I'm so old I played a lot of very retro games when they were first released, including stuff like Ultima IV and Bard's Tale from the RPG golden era, and the System Shock, Half-Life and Fallout games on the PC. While it's really cool looking back and knowing you were there when they came out -- Dude, I'm old now.

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#98  Edited By risseless
@TheHT said:

" System Shock 2. I skipped it and fear it may be too outdated to still carry the same weight. Can anyone tell me if it does? "

It's pretty dated, but not unplayable. I have a friend who's actually playing it right now. Still one of the best games ever made, IMO.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99  Edited By JJOR64

Half Life 2. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By TheGreatGuero
  • Perfect Dark Zero - People say when it came out, it was cool, but now it just feels so dated.I've never been able to adjust to the awful controls.
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - I never really got into Zelda until Ocarina of Time. I had played the original Zelda and Link's Awakening a little bit, but wasn't interested in LttP for whatever reason. I bought it for the GBA, but ended up never finishing it....
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 - When it came out, I was pretty annoyed that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong weren't the playable characters, and the idea of the baby Kiddy Kong certainly didn't appeal to me, so I skipped it entirely. DKC1 and DKC2 are a couple of my all-time favorite video games, however, so I tried to make up for it by buying DKC3 over Virtual Console. Big mistake! The graphics are absolutely horrific, and worst of all they butchered the controls so bad that the game is nearly unplayable with a Gamecube controller.