• 92 results
skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By skyline7284

So, i've always HATED the fact that none of my friends appreciate certain games nearly as much as i do.  I'm sure i'm not the only one who catches slack amongst their friends for what they play, so i wanted to know what games people play that their friends just laugh at. 

The one game i get a ton of grief about is Viva Piñata.  I guess it's what i get for playing a rich, colorful game in a group of teenagers obsessed with shooting off Nazi's heads? Don't get me wrong i like shooting the head of Nazi's as much as the next guy, but i enjoy the deep, yet slow paced strategy of the Viva series. 

What are some other games that you play, that your friends just don't get?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

retro arcade games...Pinball

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ESREVER

Valkyria Chronicles. One of my friends played through it next to me for some unknown reason because all he did was complain about how unfair or unrealistic the game was 
Persona. 
MAG. I'm constantly defending MAG. I love the giant epic battles in it and being able to defend a point from an onslaught of enemies is such a rush. But nope, they just complain about their guns not killing people fast enough.  

Also, Viva Piñata is a great game. Don't let the kids get you down about it.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Rasgueado
Jagged Alliance 2. It was generally well liked, but I just apparently haven't met anyone face to face here that does.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@ESREVER: 
How don't they kill people fast enough, I die three steps into any map >_>
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I had to defend Mass Effect and Dragon Age so bloody much, and now its all "Oh great games".
Yeah no shit, I played it when nobody cared and now you're all fans? Bah!

I also get a lot of enjoyment out of Monster Hunter, PSO, The Witcher and Overlord.
If you can't shoot dudes dead, people tend to lose interest. 
Their loss!

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By mikeeegeee
@skyline7284 said:
" ...catches slack ...   "                                     "
I believe the expression is "catches flak." And yes, totally. My roommate can't stand to watch me play Super Meat Boy. He calls it an awful game every chance he gets. And he's right, it is.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By benjaebe

Heavy Rain, probably. None of my friends really got it, even after playing it. Same went for Indigo Prophecy (or Fahrenheit, for the EU people.)
@ESREVER said:

Persona.
And this.
Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

Well, I already have a list of these on my profile, but another good one for me is that Hexic HD game that was introduced with Xbox Live achievements.  My college roommates could never understand it, and recently I noticed my brother had never even looked at it once, and he has had his 360 since CoD4...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 61

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

My friends kind of just shrug at me when I start talking about Resident Evil, Fire Emblem, or Might and Magic.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hero_swe

@Rasgueado said:

"Jagged Alliance 2. It was generally well liked, but I just apparently haven't met anyone face to face here that does. "

What? That's crazy.  

For me it has to be, Soldiers Heroes of World War 2 and it's sequels, they're a big step in a different direction than other rts's, very micro based.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By themangalist

Assassin's Creed 1 and Prince of Persia (2008). I don't understand why people can't enjoy simple games anymore.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rubberluffy

Eh, Monster Hunter I guess.  On the other hand, I don't get my friend's love of Harvest Moon.

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rosebud04

yeah, my friends can't understand the appeal of Viva Pinata either. they always say that i am "gay". To be honest they are the most narrow minded people i know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

None of my friends get my appreciation for Resident Evil, and they understand my appreciation for Silent Hill, but do not share it. 

No one, friends or otherwise, seems to like Lost Planet 2, but I think it's great.  It does what Japanese games do right.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ESREVER
@HypoXenophobia: I have no clue. I think they're just looking for an excuse to explain why they aren't doing well. 

Another franchise I tried to get my friends into was Monster Hunter. It was too hard for them. They kept complaining about the animations. Specifically the pose the player makes after restoring a stat. Basically they like to relate games to real life, and thinks thats how games should be. 

Needless to say I gave up and decided to just let them enjoy their CoDs.
abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By abdo

LittleBigPlanet and Noby Noby Boy.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I have a hard time explaining to a coworker why Cryostasis is such an amazing experience without sounding like a review. But, because it's on pc and not on consoles, he won't give it the time of day.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By natetodamax

Everything but Modern Warfare 2.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By KingBroly

Metroid Prime

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By shiftymagician
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hourai

I tried showing a few friends Minecraft but they just laughed and knocked on the graphics. Where's your imagination, people? 

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Bennyishere

Racing games. I have one friend who likes racing games. Everybody else don't.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aronman789

My friends aren't gamers, and when they do play its only shooters, while I mostly play RPGs

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Badhands

When Resident evil 5 came out I had to defend it to my friends who were skeptical that it was good. They ended up loving it, the same thing happened when Borderlands came out all my friends were saying how shitty it was although they never played it. They ended up being addicted to it. But only one game I still really have to defend to the day and that is cryostasis, I really liked that game but all my friends hate it.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RVonE

None of my friends play video games, so if I had to defend anything at all it would be the very fact that I play video games.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Surprised no one said Rapelay.

GB we're growing apart!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Claude

Anything other than motion stuff is out of their league. Except my brother, he has a Wii. But he plays what he plays and that's how far that goes. Oh, and my nephew, he has all three consoles of this gen, but again, he plays what he plays.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Origina1Penguin

DOAX, the first one. It was a really chill game and I just happen to love volleyball. However, for obvious reasons, it appears either girly or creepy to an onlooker.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By X19
@RVonE said:
" None of my friends play video games, so if I had to defend anything at all it would be the very fact that I play video games. "
This. 
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azteck

I'm lucky. I have a lot of friends who know a ton about games, and appreciate a lot of them. However, they all seem to hate Alpha Protocol, a game I loved. And the lego games, they call the childish, I call the childish fun.

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShadowMountain
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Surprised no one said Rapelay.  GB we're growing apart! "
Dammit! Was about to mention that. 

Ok then: 
Love Plus

Listen guys, I just want to spend time with my virtual girlfiriend. Stop judging me. I promised to spend time with her so I'm afraid I can't meet up with you guys tonight.

On a more serious and worrying note I do in fact wish there was an english version of Love Plus....
Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fascism
@Rasgueado:  I still play it regularly
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater said:
" My friends kind of just shrug at me when I start talking about Resident Evil, Fire Emblem, or Might and Magic. "
Then they are no friends of yours. As for me, I never talk about games that people don't understand me liking. As for not understanding me hating them, yea, there's a ton of those. To avoid the obvious ones, I seem to be running into quite a few people defending Ecco. Fucking Ecco. The words "dolphin sim" do not belong in the same sentence on their own; don't try to throw the words "I liked this" in there, as well.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Sonic 4, which I believe is almost universally misunderstood.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39  Edited By Raven10
@ArbitraryWater said:
" My friends kind of just shrug at me when I start talking about Resident Evil, Fire Emblem, or Might and Magic. "
Your picture is godly. I haven't seen that face since 3DO shut its doors. Bring back Sandro Goddamnit! I don't want to play as these stupid new characters. There is only one hero in that series and his name is Sandro. I spent 3 years trying to beat Jolly Rogers with him! Damn purple dragons. I wonder if anyone ever beat that map...
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Video_Game_King: To be fair, some of my friends do like Fire Emblem (specifically, either the first one in the US or Path of Radiance). But for the most part, either SRPGs aren't their thing or they kind of just find the series too hard and unforgiving. Which makes no sense, because they haven't played FE5 and experienced an actual hard and unforgiving Fire Emblem game.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Diamond

I know at least 1 person that doesn't 'get' most every game I play.  From Halo to Katamari Damacy to racing games to anything else I can think of.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater: 

Apparently, you haven't played Devil Survivor and experienced a hard and unforgiving SRPG. That sucks :P.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#43  Edited By Little_Socrates

None of my friends give a shit about Vanquish, and I don't understand why. That's the most innovative gameplay of the year so far, and it's fun as hell. 

Resident Evil 4, although one or two of my friends totally dig it. Most of them didn't play it before "move AND shoot" became the standard, though, so they knock its shooting mechanics. 

In the gaming community in general, I don't understand the prejudice towards Heavenly Sword. That game was great for its characters, and the gameplay was still very fun. I enjoyed Heavenly Sword more than any PS3 exclusive other than inFamous, with Uncharted 2 and LittleBigPlanet being filled with complaints (albeit if those complaints were fixed, they would be better than HS) and MGS4 and Resistance both just being bad. None of my friends have played it, but they all knock it because of what they've heard. Sad. 

My only friend who has a PS3 doesn't get Demons' Souls, though I totally understand why he might not. He got to experimenting with the RIDICULOUS character editor before starting the game, and we ended up with the grossest monster I've ever seen be an RPG protagonist. 

About half my friends don't get Portal, but the other half absolutely adore it. This game probably has the largest "I've played this" population amongst my friends, though. (Not really sure how to word that.)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Video_Game_King: Considering how much venom you spit about that game, I don't think I will ever bother to play Devil Survivor. Either that, or I'll see it in a bargain bin for $10, buy it, and then think it's alright, much to your hypothetical chagrin. But I couldn't see anyone getting through FE5 without some serious savestate abuse. The fact that it starts out deceptively un-hard just makes the entire thing worse.

@Raven10: Always nice to see another New World Computing fan. I actually think Heroes V is a perfectly fine game, but it's not quite the same as the old days. And yes, Sandro is a pretty cool guy.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Point 'n' click adventure games ;(

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater: 

You think that's bad? Remember the time I forced a porcupine to fuck a pineapple? Wait, wrong thing. I meant to say, "Try playing the first one." At first, it seems appropriately difficulty for a game of its genre and time. Then you realize that it's around 30 chapters long, has no battery save whatsoever, and character deaths are permanent. At least FE5 was possible.
pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By pjacobson21

With the exception of one, all of my friends are online focused gamers.  I enjoy playing online but I much prefer single player games over online games.  The majority of my friends think it's crazy that I enjoy single player focused games like fallout, dragon age, uncharted, and more, and i think its even more crazy that they aren't willing to give such excellent games a chance.  They are content to stay with cod and madden, their loss I guess.  Like I said, I  do have the one gamer friends who is a single player gamer like myself (coincidentally also my only fellow ps3 gamer friend.  Trend?) but even he questions some of my choices.  Probably my most questioned games are: 

-Demon's Souls.  By far the game I have to defend the most to my friends.  They dismiss is quickly because of the seemingly generic fantasy elements, and for whatever reason my friends seem to take exception to the setup of a hub world then several other worlds branching off.  Plus it doesn't help that the few times my friends have played it they've ended up rage quitting:P

-Borderlands.  Some of my friends dismiss it because of the art style, one friend said the guns weren't realistic (no shit, I tried explaining to him how that was pretty much the main selling point of the game, but he just didn't understand the appeal).  Usually the complaint I hear when friends play with me is that the objectives are bad.  Honestly, this is true, and I will cut them some slack and say that by just hopping in for some co-op it's hard to understand that the objectives of a game don't necessarily need to be the goal.

-Metal Gear Solid 4.  Some time ago me and my good buddy had a gaming marathon.  We took one of the days of our semester break and went to his place, set up two 42" HDTV's and devoted the day to about 8 hours or so of gaming.  Out of all my friends he is probably the biggest gamer, but he definitely falls into the category of a "cod and madden" stereotypical guy gamer.  So I figured I'd introduce him to most of my favourites.  He absolutely loved uncharted and uncharted 2 which was refreshing to see, but when I started playing MGS4 his response was frustrating.  He went bananas for the graphics even though we had just been playing uncharted 2, but when I started playing he kept criticizing my slow stealth style of playing.  Then we reached the first big cutscene on my save file. At this point he had gone back to playing cod on the other tv, and i was due for a break so I figured I'd sit back and watch the cutscene.  About ten minutes later my friend finally started watching what I was doing.  He got a chuckle out of the fact I had set the controller done, noticing the fact that I'd been watching that cutscene for at least 10 minutes. I pointed out that if I remembered correctly, this cutscene was about an hour long.  He thought I was kidding.  Needless to say, when he finally wrapped his head around the concept of an hour long cutscene, he had pretty much decided not to give the game a chance.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Showed my friend Limbo in a flurry of enthusiasm and excitement, and he was literally like, "Wait, you don't shoot anyone?" And was disappointed and immediately uninterested. 

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fajita_Jim

All my friends are gamers (all but one PC gamers...I'm a PC gamer myself) but we never play games in each others company because there are better things to do when hanging out. 

That said, we do talk about them at times, and occasionally one of us will show up at the others house and have to wait for them to finish whatever it is they're doing before turning it off, so we have seen each other play.

The one game my friends (except for one, as he plays it, too) don't understand is IL2: Sturmovik. They'll say "How can you sit there for an hour just keeping the plane level and in formation but doing nothing else? Booooring." They don't understand that the tedium is part of the experience. As has been said of WW2 dogfighting: "An hour of boredom followed by 3 minutes of sheer terror, followed by an hour of walking a crippled plane home."

It's all part of the SIMULATION experience.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Akeldama

Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill. Incidentally, I am friends with people who either dont care about games or just play Halo and COD.