Gamespot Fuse.....seems familiar

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By yani

Just had a glance at the GameSpot front page and saw the Fuse BETA announcement.  Anything seem familiar?  Glad that there is recognition for what the guys are doing but wish it wasn't GameSpot who were copying them.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By VicRattlehead

yeh i seen it on guy cockers twitter.... the latest innovation from gamespot he said.....

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

They even have rarity. Really?

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By UncleDisco

Not very original... But then again, maybe a big site like Gamespot pushing this stuff, will make Sony get off their butts and make an API for Trophies.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Dingofighter

Funny the call it Fuse like the fuse on a ''Giant Bomb'' :P

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman

Funny how things switch sometimes.

God dammit, I need to go to sleep now after that awesomely disappointing "end" of LIVE. Of course it was the fact it never went down that was disappointing, nothing the crew did of course. Darn you Major Nelson!  :P

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Astras
@MaFoLu: 
I see where your going.. but wouldn't it make it more sense to call it like scissors to cut the fuse? Dont think the name is supposed to be associated with Bombs in any way
Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ramyun

Ugghh....that's just shameless if you ask me but whatever, I don't go to Gamespot anyway. Everyone knows Giant Bomb started this stuff.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Willy105

That's offensive.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Binman88

For better or for worse, inspiration, copying or adapting ideas is how the world works. Can't really blame them for doing this.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper

Come on maaan. Don't call it fuse. That's not cool.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Shasam

How does it go...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Still, seems shameless.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

It makes me laugh how a small team of guys can beat the biggest video game site to something as logical as this.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rinkalicous

S-Rank > 100% Club

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I suppose. Calling it Fuse though? That's just rubbing our faces in what was already obvious.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lowbrow

Meh. Whiskey Media is already a step ahead of them with the quests system. GB isn't going anywhere. Fuse looks like balls.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Drebin_893

Guys chill, this can only lead to good things.

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ratcabbage
@Lowbrow said:
"Meh. Whiskey Media is already a step ahead of them with the quests system. GB isn't going anywhere. Fuse looks like balls."

Yep.
Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dingofighter
@Astras said:
" @MaFoLu:  I see where your going.. but wouldn't it make it more sense to call it like scissors to cut the fuse? Dont think the name is supposed to be associated with Bombs in any way "  
I don't think it is supposed to be about bombs either but I still thought it was pretty funny. 
I think the name is supposed to be short for fusion, like they fuse achievments with gamespot.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Willy105

But the thing is, will it be remembered as a Giantbomb thing or Gamespot thing?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By get2sammyb

Who cares if they're copying. Whiskey Media are calling the shots. They're already a step ahead. While GameSpot rush to implement achievement tracking, Whiskey Media's already done the Quest thing and who knows what's next.

It's amazing how much GiantBomb has brought to the table over these past two years. I note GameTrailers essentially do "Quick Looks" now with their "First Hour" thing.

It's a huge compliment to everyone here at GiantBomb. Everyone's looking to see what this site does next. You could say they're a "trend-setter".

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
" It makes me laugh how a small team of guys can beat the biggest video game site to something as logical as this. "
Same thing I was thinking, probably because Gamespot are worried more about money and control/power more than having logical features on the site.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Alexander

Whatever, Gamespot have had achievements and emblems for as long as I can remember. 

[EDIT] ooooooooh, I was only aware of the Gamespot achievements. Ok, I see what they did there.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

IGN Dynamite coming soon. 
No but really, commerce business as usual. Why do you think corporations are always pushing for stronger copyright, IP, and trademark laws? This is just part of how progression works, and its ultimately for the greater good, but it understandably would piss off the person getting copied.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jeffsekai
@Scooper said:
" Come on maaan. Don't call it fuse. That's not cool. "
Agreed. I think its lame to think that only Giantbomb would be the only site with Achivment tracking....but calling it Fuse? Dumb.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Kazona

Why do so many people think that Giant Bomb was the first site to use achievement tracking? There are other sites who did it long before GB saw the light of day. So no, I don't think Gamespot is copying this site, and there is nothing shameless about it.  

Not everything Gamespot does is because of Giant Bomb. I love this place, and it's definitely better than Gamespot, but sometimes the hate for that site gets taken too far.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By birchman

Nice for them, but Cocker shouldn't really call it "innovative".

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nail1080

lol just logged into my 5 year + old gamespot account for the first time in over 2 years or so and made a rage thread about how much of a rip-off this is and how it's a disgrace they don't give credit to the dudes whose idea they completely stole!

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Zaph

Technology being copied is nothing new, but what really gets me is their shameless logo of a bomb fuse. I suppose you can't blame them really, they fired Jeff and he then proceeded to gut them of all their talent, I can imagine they're still pretty bitter. Now they're left with a site that continues to blur the lines between editorial/sponsors and has no personality whatsoever, but I suppose that fits right in with most other CNET sites!

Also, their icons suck a bag of dicks compared to the ones on Giant Bomb. And as usual the design and layout is horrendous.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#30  Edited By Vinchenzo

GameSpot sucks. Haven't gone there in years. If anything I suppose they need to copy GiantBomb because whoever designed the GS website is a fucking idiot.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CptBedlam
@nail1080 said:

" lol just logged into my 5 year + old gamespot account for the first time in over 2 years or so and made a rage thread about how much of a rip-off this is and how it's a disgrace they don't give credit to the dudes whose idea they completely stole! "

I did the same and after my post they locked the thread down. lol 

Seems like they don't want to have a discussion about this. So I created a new thread ... %)
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By takua108

To me, fuses are two things: either for bombs, or for electrical systems. 

The logo shows that it is the former.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By skrutop
@Bucketdeth said:

" @Sleepy_Insomniac said:

" It makes me laugh how a small team of guys can beat the biggest video game site to something as logical as this. "

Same thing I was thinking, probably because Gamespot are worried more about money and control/power more than having logical features on the site. "
I'm not surprised.  If the GB/Whiskey Media crew have an idea for a feature, they can just create it, launch it, and try it out.  If it doesn't work or isn't popular, oh well.  Sites like Gamespot have a lot more moving parts, so it'd take them longer to get around to something like that, and they're not as incentivized to try out innovative features like a smaller company trying to establish themselves.
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thebeast

lol just logged into my 5 year + old gamespot account for the first time in over 2 years or so and made a rage thread about how much of a rip-off this is and how it's a disgrace they don't give credit to the dudes whose idea they completely stole!    

Everyone else; Don't do this. 

Really.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Trilogy

Really lame that they called it that but I'm not surprised by this. I'm more surprised that they didn't already have something like this by now.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Andorski

But do they have quests?

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By solidlife

I wont be lighting that fuse.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LAME

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ch13696

So what's the point of connecting with Raptr? If Raptr already tracks all that then just sign up for that instead. Dammit, I'm seriously lost.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By RagingLion
@Binman88 said:
" For better or for worse, inspiration, copying or adapting ideas is how the world works. Can't really blame them for doing this. "
PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PartTimeNinja

Wow... that is just despicable.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hamz

What has playing video games taught us about exclusivity of a product or feature? It never stay exclusive, for the most part, too long.

It is naive to think other companies wouldn't recognise the success of the achievement tracking feature here at Giant Bomb and not emulate it in some form on their own sites. All we can hope is that when folks look back in history Giant Bomb is written down as #1 for starting this trendy feature! :)

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jimbo

Inevitable really, and I don't know if you could protect a feature like this even if you tried.  The name is a little dodgy though.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

Well it is quite shameless to rip GB off so blatantly but there's two factors to be considered. One, it's a satisfying and funny sign of GS now lagging behind so much that they even have to go that low in an attempt to stay relevant (that hopefully won't work as intended). Two, there's just no realistic way to prevent something like this from happening, sadly. We probably already know which site we want to support , so we should just do that.
Actually this was helpful to me as it made sufficiently clear to me why I shouldn't bother going to that site nowadays - they just aren't for me anymore in their current state. Having giantbomb now I have absolutely no problem with that.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xMP44x

I'm amused by this, oddly. I can see calling it 'Fuse' could be seen as taking the piss from GiantBomb, but remember: GiantBomb was responsible for coming up with the idea. But it's overly convenient that GameSpot release this feature a few days after the Bomb releases the same feature. Hell, they even have rarity, as MB said. Definitely an idea from the GiantBomb initially, but sadly most of the users on there probably won't notice, or won't care. Either of the two. I wasn't too fond of GS for a while recently, but this is ridiculous. I'll get some of their Quests... err, no whatever they want to call them... but I don't think the system is going to be a good implementation to have just after GB added it to their site. 

As we can see, Whiskey Media is beating CNET at pushing the boundaries of gaming websites.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Brendan

I made a thread about this a few months ago when Gamespot announced the concept for it, but everyone got mad at me :(
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#47  Edited By the8bitNacho

No one here would be bitching if it weren't GameSpot.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xMP44x
@Kombat said:
" No one here would be bitching if it weren't GameSpot. "
While this is true, there is history between GameSpot and GiantBomb because of what happened with Jeff Gerstmann. I'm sure you know this already so this is probably pointless. But at the same time, had it been any other site I'd have no problem, but because of the two sites having something of a history I'm not so sure it's a coincedence.
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jayzilla
@Willy105 said:
" But the thing is, will it be remembered as a Giantbomb thing or Gamespot thing? "
It doesn't matter how it's remembered,  when you know the truth. I laugh at a lot of people that are Tupac fans. No one remembers that he was a hip-hop dancer in a group called, "Digital Underground". He wasn't gangsta. He wore bright pastel 80's Hip-Hop colors and wasn't even called Tupac. He jumped shamelessly on the Gangsta Rap bandwagon, got killed and now is remembered for being real, when he was the farthest thing from it. We know the truth about GameSpot and Tupac. They are studio gangstas.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#50  Edited By LordAndrew
@Willy105 said:
" But the thing is, will it be remembered as a Giantbomb thing or Gamespot thing? "
Probably neither. They're just things.