Gamespot's GOTY

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By twenty0ne

That pissed me off... especially because it got a lower review score than many of the other games in the running.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#102  Edited By Hailinel
@twenty0ne said:
" That pissed me off... especially because it got a lower review score than many of the other games in the running. "
Numerical scores don't (and shouldn't) mean anything when it comes to determining awards such as these.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By Diamond
@CharleyTony said:
Well there was that video from the Robomodo Staff trying to show some people how the game actually works... they seemed to like the game. Them and the guys that tried it for 15 minutes a the "review / launch" party Activision organized instead of sending review copies.
Well, Demon's Souls has been highly rated by videogame critics as a whole while TH Ride has been panned across the board, with similar response from the online communities.

No mistake, objectively speaking Demon's Souls is one of the best games to be released this year, no matter what your definition.  The only question is if it deserves a GOTY nod, or RPG of the year depending on what you value in a RPG.
Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By Dreamfall31

No other gaming site's opion matters except this one!!

kart007k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By kart007k

Well, gamespot is trying to be different, because all the pageviews do count for them. Personally I still respect the site just as much as I used to back when Jeff, Greg, Ryan, Vinny, and many other reviewers used to rule.

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Pepsicolaboy
@xyzygy said:
" Very impressed with Gamespot right now! The game deserved it. I'm also glad they didn't recognize Uncharted 2 like every one and their grandmother.   Why? This award may show the Japanese that yes, we do appreciate when they (companies like Atlus) go above and beyond to import such niche games. When all western games win the awards, the Japanese might feel like their efforts were for naught.  It's really great when such a small studio like From Software wins a GOTY.  "
Totally. While Uncharted 2 certainly deserves the priase that is being heaped upon it - the idea of the japanese development community waking up from their 10 year slumber is awesome.
Probably wont happen though.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By spacetrucking

Gamespot has often pulled out surprises for its GOTY and they have a knack for going against the popular opinion. Does anyone remember Serious Sam or Wind Waker ?

I haven't played Demon's Souls yet but now I'm really interested. Maybe once I'm done with Dragon Age.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#108  Edited By wwfundertaker

Its an odd choice at least they never gave it to MW2.

liquidsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By liquidsol
@Soap said:
" I can't believe that it got chosen to be honest.  Sure it's a great game, but GOTY material should be something that changed the face of gaming that year, or came as close as it will do that year.  Hence... Uncharted 2 "
Explain to me how Uncharted 2, which is admittedly a kickass and stellar game, and an improved SEQUEL, "changed the face of gaming."
Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Carlos

Good pick, love the game.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111  Edited By Fallen189

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By Mcfart

While GOTY is a personal opinion, Gamespot are idiots. Demon Souls does not possess typical GOTY traits,such as accessibility. It is way too niche to deserve even a nomination. However, Gamespot's qualification requirements for GOTY obviously does not include what I've just mentioned.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By trophyhunter
@Mcfart said:

" While GOTY is a personal opinion, Gamespot are idiots. Demon Souls does not possess typical GOTY traits,such as accessibility. It is way too niche to deserve even a nomination. However, Gamespot's qualification requirements for GOTY obviously does not include what I've just mentioned. "

So your saying a game of the year has to be accessible to everyone?
Saying it does not deserve even a nomination is just ignorance on your part.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#114  Edited By Trilogy

More proof that Giant Bomb's goty bombcast is the only thing that matters as far as goty shenanigans go.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By webby
@Trilogy said:
" More proof that Giant Bomb's goty bombcast is the only thing that matters as far as goty shenanigans go. "
Have you even played Demon's Souls?
Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#116  Edited By Soap
@liquidsol said:
" @Soap said:
" I can't believe that it got chosen to be honest.  Sure it's a great game, but GOTY material should be something that changed the face of gaming that year, or came as close as it will do that year.  Hence... Uncharted 2 "
Explain to me how Uncharted 2, which is admittedly a kickass and stellar game, and an improved SEQUEL, "changed the face of gaming." "
I don't think it did, but I think it came as closer to doing it than any other game this year. Every single second of that game was action packed with intresting and unique things to do. I've been playing games for over 15 years and I've grown to find most games fun, but not thrilling or exciting but with that I could not put it down. I really was on the edge of my seat.

But then maybe it's just me. :/
toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By toast_burner
@VanderSEXXX said:
"Well..this is also incredibly surprising for me given the fact it got a review like this from the escapist. :D    
 it was hilarious though and I enjoyed playing the game through and through.  "

lol He didnt even get past the second level.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#118  Edited By Trilogy
@Webby said:

" @Trilogy said:

" More proof that Giant Bomb's goty bombcast is the only thing that matters as far as goty shenanigans go. "

Have you even played Demon's Souls? "
Don't assume I'm knocking their decision making for goty. I'm knocking the concept of goty as a whole. Game of the year is a fun concept to think about and discuss with others but some people take it WAY too seriously. In the end, it's just a bunch of opinions. 

Look around the internet. People with SF4 avatars think SF4 should of gotten goty. People with a Modern Warfare 2 profile pic think Modern Warfare 2 should of gotten it, ect. I don't blame them and I don't think they are wrong for thinking the way they do. Everyone has a favorite game and it's always going to be different than other people's favorite games.  

For me, I can't wait for the goty bombcast simply because I love to hear real opinions about games which is why I'm on GB in the first place. Do I really care what GB picks? No. Do I think their goty podcast is extremely interesting and entertaining? Abso-fucking-lutely.
tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#119  Edited By tofford

I cant help thinking that maybe they have chosen this just to be different rather than it really being the best game this year. I am not slaggin off demon souls but it seems to be barely on other websites minds for game of the year never mind the winner. But hey if it is that good fair enough!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By penguindust

And this is important why?  Really, every game site on the web has their own "GOTY" including this one.  I don't think Gamespot picking Demons Soul's validates the title anymore than X-Play picking Uncharted 2 or Gamespy (a division of IGN) picking Modern Warfare 2 as their top honor.  Whether or not I think Demons Soul's is worthy of GOTY doesn't matter, because if I disagree, all I need to do is go to another video game site to find one that does.  The title from one site is as valueless as the award from another.  The only one I think holds any real merit is the award handed out at the end of GDC since it's voted on by other game developers.  Peers honoring their peers just like the Oscars. 

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Cazamalos
@Hailinel: yeah i make it sound like that, but  what i meant is maybe some of its editors played only 5 minutes of forza 2 as 70% of the world and think that is enough and say "I do not like" , when forza 2 back in the day was the more you play the more deep the game becomes, but anyway as i say they can pick any game they want for gotys , in the end is personal choice of what they like more.
Avatar image for thefrostedgamer
TheFrostedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By TheFrostedGamer

While all you wizards form a sewing circle and pretend someone cares whether you think Demons Soul's deserves accolades, these websites (along with the people who publish DS) are all high-fiving each other. 

The ironic thing is, you all should frown on Giantspot - excuse me, Giantbomb - for not even reviewing Demons Souls at all. Hi --> they f*cking reviewed Rogue Warrior, but DS didn't even so much as deserve a 1-star article? Jeff and Ryan took hipster stances against DS from the get-go. It was a Playstation game (no xbox points to suckle on) and it required patience to play. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By trophyhunter
@TheFrostedGamer said:
" While all you wizards form a sewing circle and pretend someone cares whether you think Demons Soul's deserves accolades, these websites (along with the people who publish DS) are all high-fiving each other.  The ironic thing is, you all should frown on Giantspot - excuse me, Giantbomb - for not even reviewing Demons Souls at all. Hi --> they f*cking reviewed Rogue Warrior, but DS didn't even so much as deserve a 1-star article? Jeff and Ryan took total hipster stances against DS from the get-go. It was a Playstation game (no xbox points to suckle on) and it required patience to play.  "
yeah that's true the reviewed avitar and rouge warrior two of the worst games this year but not what many consider the best 
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124  Edited By Jensonb

I don't care about this, GameSpot can give their award to whatever they wish, it's their opinion after all....However:

I, like many others, have absolutely zero interest in this game. I know from the outside looking in, from watching it being played, that I would hate it. But looking through this thread, whenever anybody has said something like that, they've been told to play it. That won't change ANYTHING. Nothing about this game appeals to me. The folks saying play it are the same folks saying "Oh I wish Giant Bomb had gone into this game and immersed themselves in it cos then they'd love it like I do and given it GOTY like GameSpot did - and props to GameSpot on that". And that perspective's bullshit as well. 

This game has no appeal to Jeff, Ryan or Brad - it does have some appeal to Vinny, but he's a little busy to review it. It's not about Jeff, Ryan and Brad (Or me, or anyone not interested in this game) not having "open minds" they and we know this game does not appeal because it's OUR OPINIONS. For the same reason GameSpot is right and fine to make it GOTY, Giant Bomb is right to leave it and people like me are right not to play it. Say Jeff did agree to review it. It doesn't really appeal to him. His review would be negative, almost by default. And then people would complain even more. So what would ti achieve?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By trophyhunter
@Jensonb said:

" I don't care about this, GameSpot can give their award to whatever they wish, it's their opinion after all....However:

I, like many others, have absolutely zero interest in this game. I know from the outside looking in, from watching it being played, that I would hate it. But looking through this thread, whenever anybody has said something like that, they've been told to play it. That won't change ANYTHING. Nothing about this game appeals to me. The folks saying play it are the same folks saying "Oh I wish Giant Bomb had gone into this game and immersed themselves in it cos then they'd love it like I do and given it GOTY like GameSpot did - and props to GameSpot on that". And that perspective's bullshit as well.   This game has no appeal to Jeff, Ryan or Brad - it does have some appeal to Vinny, but he's a little busy to review it. It's not about Jeff, Ryan and Brad (Or me, or anyone not interested in this game) not having "open minds" they and we know this game does not appeal because it's OUR OPINIONS. For the same reason GameSpot is right and fine to make it GOTY, Giant Bomb is right to leave it and people like me are right not to play it. Say Jeff did agree to review it. It doesn't really appeal to him. His review would be negative, almost by default. And then people would complain even more. So what would ti achieve? "

well jeff would not review it  vinny would 
and you really think your going come in here and save everyone or solved everyone by being billionth person to say "OPINIONS"
JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By JDM006

Gamespot made some weird decisions with their awards.  Nobody's going to buy a PS3 just to play Demon Souls.  People buy a PS3 to play games like Uncharted 2.  Gamespot also confused me by: 

(1) Giving Killzone 2 the best multiplayer award over Modern Warfare 2.  Street Fighter 4 was not even nominated for this category.
(2) Not even nominating Shadow Complex for best downloadable game.  They gave the award to Comet Crash.  I've never even heard of this game.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#127  Edited By giyanks22
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
totally. i mean I don't like the PS3, but Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 were both brilliant. Along with Dragon Age Origins and Assassin's Creed 2.
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By The_Dude

look at gamespot trying to be edgy...o0o its so cool!

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really cool that they picked it, that game needs more recognition  
but.. . . . 
@JJOR64 said:

" Lame.  It should have been Street Fighter IV. "
yep
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Jensonb
@trophyhunter said:
" @Jensonb said:

" I don't care about this, GameSpot can give their award to whatever they wish, it's their opinion after all....However:

I, like many others, have absolutely zero interest in this game. I know from the outside looking in, from watching it being played, that I would hate it. But looking through this thread, whenever anybody has said something like that, they've been told to play it. That won't change ANYTHING. Nothing about this game appeals to me. The folks saying play it are the same folks saying "Oh I wish Giant Bomb had gone into this game and immersed themselves in it cos then they'd love it like I do and given it GOTY like GameSpot did - and props to GameSpot on that". And that perspective's bullshit as well.   This game has no appeal to Jeff, Ryan or Brad - it does have some appeal toVinny, but he's a little busy to review it. It's not about Jeff, Ryan and Brad (Or me, or anyone not interested in this game) not having "open minds" they and we know this game does not appeal because it's OUR OPINIONS. For the same reason GameSpot is right and fine to make it GOTY, Giant Bomb is right to leave it and people like me are right not to play it. Say Jeff did agree to review it. It doesn't really appeal to him. His review would be negative, almost by default. And then people would complain even more. So what would ti achieve? "

well jeff would not review it  vinny would  and you really think your going come in here and save everyone or solved everyone by being billionth person to say "OPINIONS" "
I'm pretty sure I already said Vinny is kind of too busy to play all the way through that and review it (I've made it stand out in the quote so you don't have to strain yourself looking for it). Do try and at least pay attention if you're going to be snarky smartarse.

Also, who the fuck said anything about saving anyone or solving anything? It's a discussion genius. Believe it or not, my input is just as welcome as anyone else's.
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By twenty0ne
@Hailinel said:
" @twenty0ne said:
" That pissed me off... especially because it got a lower review score than many of the other games in the running. "
Numerical scores don't (and shouldn't) mean anything when it comes to determining awards such as these. "
That's your opinion, is it not?
Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Shady
@JDM006 said:
(2) Not even nominating Shadow Complex for best downloadable game.  They gave the award to Comet Crash.  I've never even heard of this game. "
Okay. That's just fucking random. I mean, Shadow Complex is at least one of the best XBLA games of all time. How about fucking acknowledging that?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By xyzygy
@Jensonb said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Jensonb said:

I, like many others, have absolutely zero interest in this game. I know from the outside looking in, from watching it being played, that I would hate it. But looking through this thread, whenever anybody has said something like that, they've been told to play it. That won't change ANYTHING. Nothing about this game appeals to me. The folks saying play it are the same folks saying "Oh I wish Giant Bomb had gone into this game and immersed themselves in it cos then they'd love it like I do and given it GOTY like GameSpot did - and props to GameSpot on that". And that perspective's bullshit as well.   This game has no appeal to Jeff, Ryan or Brad - it does have some appeal toVinny, but he's a little busy to review it. It's not about Jeff, Ryan and Brad (Or me, or anyone not interested in this game) not having "open minds" they and we know this game does not appeal because it's OUR OPINIONS. For the same reason GameSpot is right and fine to make it GOTY, Giant Bomb is right to leave it and people like me are right not to play it. Say Jeff did agree to review it. It doesn't really appeal to him. His review would be negative, almost by default. And then people would complain even more. So what would ti achieve? "

well jeff would not review it  vinny would  and you really think your going come in here and save everyone or solved everyone by being billionth person to say "OPINIONS" "
I'm pretty sure I already said Vinny is kind of too busy to play all the way through that and review it (I've made it stand out in the quote so you don't have to strain yourself looking for it). Do try and at least pay attention if you're going to be snarky smartarse.  Also, who the fuck said anything about saving anyone or solving anything? It's a discussion genius. Believe it or not, my input is just as welcome as anyone else's. "
Man, the difference is that this website does reviews for others and you play games for yourself. If you don't think you like Demon's Souls, your loss - but this website is supposed to review the biggest games of the year so other people can get an idea of if they like the game or not. Ignoring a game and not reviewing it, regardless of how well recieved it was by others - is what is bullshit. Especially when it's because most of the team just don't think they would like it. I was really pissed off at the Quick Look because Vinny looked like he was having such an amazing time and the others were all like... "Seriously? This is a game? These concepts are old, this looks too unforgiving. I don't want to play this." 

To me, that's not a way of thinking that a gamer should have.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By trophyhunter
@xyzygy said:
" @Jensonb said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Jensonb said:

I'm pretty sure I already said Vinny is kind of too busy to play all the way through that and review it (I've made it stand out in the quote so you don't have to strain yourself looking for it). Do try and at least pay attention if you're going to be snarky smartarse.  Also, who the fuck said anything about saving anyone or solving anything? It's a discussion genius. Believe it or not, my input is just as welcome as anyone else's. "
Man, the difference is that this website does reviews for others and you play games for yourself. If you don't think you like Demon's Souls, your loss - but this website is supposed to review the biggest games of the year so other people can get an idea of if they like the game or not. Ignoring a game and not reviewing it, regardless of how well recieved it was by others - is what is bullshit. Especially when it's because most of the team just don't think they would like it. I was really pissed off at the Quick Look because Vinny looked like he was having such an amazing time and the others were all like... "Seriously? This is a game? These concepts are old, this looks too unforgiving. I don't want to play this."  To me, that's not a way of thinking that a gamer should have. "
yeah if no one is willing trying some out of their comfort zone or just be open minded we don't get any new games.
we get stuck with crap like GTA 243 and guitarhero 614.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#135  Edited By Hailinel
@twenty0ne said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @twenty0ne said:
Numerical scores don't (and shouldn't) mean anything when it comes to determining awards such as these. "
That's your opinion, is it not? "
Review scores are determined by the person that wrote the review.  These awards are handed out based on the feelings of the editorial staff as a whole.  It's really not that hard to figure out.
misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By misterpope

Its an opinion. So it means nothing. Gamespot sucks. Long live GIANT BOMB.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By sopranosfan

When I kept reading that dying at any point sent you back to the beginning of the level and makes you beat the same things again and again I knew this was not a game for me.  I hate that above all else, I love playing video games but I had rather do something with my life than spending hours beating the same thing a 100 times just to make it back to the part I can't beat. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By trophyhunter
@sopranosfan said:
" When I kept reading that dying at any point sent you back to the beginning of the level and makes you beat the same things again and again I knew this was not a game for me.  I hate that above all else, I love playing video games but I had rather do something with my life than spending hours beating the same thing a 100 times just to make it back to the part I can't beat.  "
well that's only if you suck at it. if you get good almost never had to replay a part after I got good.
I die maybe 12 or 13 time in the whole 40 hours I played and beat the game and dieing 12 times is like dieing once any other game
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#139  Edited By demontium
@Slab64 said:
" @Solarus said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:

" @ADTR_ZERO said:

" @demontium said:
" @r0k1ll said:
" @demontium said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am. "
I think we should make this quote longer than it already is. "
It depends on how many people respond to this response. "
"
Can I poop on your chest? "
I just noticed that the further along the quote train goes, the dimmer the earlier responses become. Can you make them disappear completely? :O "
I am definitely having to squint at the first post...kind of a strange quote mechanic. "
Slowly fading.
AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By AdH0c

I just watched the video after reading the first post. I have to admit that I am now a little interested in this game maybe I should go out and buy it....... wait a minute. Oh thats right IT IS NOT OUT IN EUROPE. In fact I have yet to see any sort of release for the UK. So gamespots GOTY for 2009 is a game I can only get on import. Good job gamespot.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#141  Edited By Mercator

I honestly don't care about GOTY lists at all but I am happy to see this. This game deserves ALL of its attention and more. 

Sadly I feel the reviews have taken the difficulty discussion in all the wrong ways. The general consensus is that this game is impossble. Personally I don't like hard games and have little interest in playing anything that is terribly challenging. I have no issue lowering difficulty for games, and would never attempt something like Modern Warfare 2 on Veteran. Due to my apprehension to difficulty I had no interest in DS until a friend brought it over and i tried it myself. I immediately fell for it and played something like 50 hours in a couple weeks, not an easy task with the amount I work. On my first play through i never died more than twice on any of the levels. The first few levels I didn't die once. Honestly I don't fancy myself a  skilled gamer and  had little issue with the game. Many gamers would happily try to beat MW2 on Veteran and IMO that is a much larger challenge than Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls has a great learning curve, and I love the fact it isnt all explicit. I dont feel that this is poor game design but as the developers stated it requires discussion. It requires you to talk to people, to share tips. I haven't felt the same way playing a game since the NES days, when me and neighborhood kids would share tips and tricks.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By toast_burner
@demontium said:
" @Slab64 said:
" @Solarus said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:

" @ADTR_ZERO said:

" @demontium said:
" @r0k1ll said:
" @demontium said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am. "
I think we should make this quote longer than it already is. "
It depends on how many people respond to this response. "
"
Can I poop on your chest? "
I just noticed that the further along the quote train goes, the dimmer the earlier responses become. Can you make them disappear completely? :O "
I am definitely having to squint at the first post...kind of a strange quote mechanic. "
Slowly fading. "

this quote pyramid is confusing my eyes
makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By makari

I'm sure Demon's Souls will win something on Giant Bomb. Something like the 'Best Critically Acclaimed Game That We Have Never And Will Never Get Around To Playing' award.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Jensonb
@xyzygy: Bullshit. This site doesn't exist to review all the "biggest games". The Editorial decides at its own discretion what to review. They don't review sports games because they don't have people to do it. They didn't review Demon's Souls because the only one with an interest in it has a lot of other work to do making videos. I'm sorry pal, you can't simoutaneiusly pull that "oh you don't like Demon's Souls, your loss" crap and demand that Giant Bomb review all the games you want them to. Giant Bomb reviews plenty of games I don't give two shits about and doesn't review plenty of games I do care about. It doesn't bother me at all. It's their site, and if they don't want to review it, or haven't got the time, then why is that a problem? You gonna start complaining that they didn't review Madden 10? No? Thought not.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Fallen189

Why are you all getting so up in arms about it. Who the fuck cares?

Gamespot is fine, get over it already.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By xyzygy
@Jensonb said:

" @xyzygy: Bullshit. This site doesn't exist to review all the "biggest games". The Editorial decides at its own discretion what to review. They don't review sports games because they don't have people to do it. They didn't review Demon's Souls because the only one with an interest in it has a lot of other work to do making videos. I'm sorry pal, you can't simoutaneiusly pull that "oh you don't like Demon's Souls, your loss" crap and demand that Giant Bomb review all the games you want them to. Giant Bomb reviews plenty of games I don't give two shits about and doesn't review plenty of games I do care about. It doesn't bother me at all. It's their site, and if they don't want to review it, or haven't got the time, then why is that a problem? You gonna start complaining that they didn't review Madden 10? No? Thought not. "

If you had read around these forums for a while you'll know that there are a lot of people who wanted a Demon's Souls review. There were constantly posts asking "Why isn't there one?" around since the game came out and since the game started getting reviews from other sources. I would have liked one, but I can't do anything about it. You make me seem like I'm whining about the subject, which I'm not. And I know that this site doesn't review sports games, so what the hell are you trying to prove with that smartass comment? 

Stop trying to make me look childish. I did not ever say anything along the lines of "I want Giant Bomb to review Demon's Souls because I like it". What I'm saying is that this critically acclaimed game didn't get reviewed here, and I don't care what you think about the game, but other people might be interested in it. And other people ARE interested in it because there have been people wanting a review, not to mention the boards for the game are pretty active for such a niche game. A review is meant to help others make decisions about a game. Get off your high horse - you're not the only one who visits this site. And I'm not sure if you know, but there is an awesome community here at Giant Bomb and the more people who know about this amazing game, the better.

Also, I'd like to know how you can have an opinion on a game you haven't played. You can't justify it as "It just doesn't look like it's for me", until you have played it your opinion on the game is invalid.    
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#147  Edited By CharleyTony

I listened back to their october 6th hotspot podcast.  
That is the podcast where he talked about the game as it came out. They didn't even say they liked it, just plainly stating that its an interesting game.  

I also checked the descriptions of all their podcast from there until now and not one mention of a second discussion about their so called best game of the year ! 

Since GiantBomb was founded, I rarely check their site because their opinions matter a hole lot less to me after all the staff changes. In this particular case, GOTY awards are about opinions but I really dont see how they came up with that one...  
Must have been the one they pulled out of a hat after being in a stale mate in their voting process... 
Wonder if they will address it when they come back from the holidays.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By jmrwacko
@SpikeSpiegel said:
"I know Demon's Souls is pretty good but I wasn't under the impression it was that good. "

Well there really weren't many contenders this year, tbh. The only two games I'd nominate as GOTY over Demon's Souls are Dragon Age: Origins and Arkham Asylum.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By spacetrucking

It's funny how a lot of people are crying about Giantbomb completely ignoring Demon's Souls and JUST Demon's Souls. Inspite of winning GOTY, that game has a very niche appeal and the staff ignored it because they have no interest in it. If you're going to say that it's a gaming site that needs to review every big/important game, then I'll gladly point you to all the sports games, Plants v/s Zombie, Kingdom Hearts 358/2, Wii Fit Plus, Persona 4 and a slew of other major releases that were ignored by the staff.  Do we really want Ryan or Vinny telling you in a thousand words about why they hate Demon's Souls, when a "quick look" is enough ?

In addition, the audience for these game already know what they're getting (from other more informed sites) and a review from Giantbomb would be useless anyway.

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odd! Also odd that they didn't pick any of the western AAA titles that everyone is spazzing about lately. And odd that giantbomb didn't even REVIEW demons souls.  
Maybe they are just showing themselves as being hardcore and different.