Gamestop..Should I?

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By uberpwner93

Should I stop going there? I've heard about some of their practices and I really think it's really bad. What should I do?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demilich

Yes. Purchase from Steam and Best Buy.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By normajean777

um only buy new games or just use there pre order thing as a kind of pre pay. But unless the game is rare and you see it there for cheap used is a no go. 

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uberpwner93
Demilich said:
"Yes. Purchase from Steam and Best Buy."
1) I don't use my PC for gaming
2) There isn't a Best Buy near me for another 50 miles.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demilich
uberpwner93 said:
"Demilich said:
"Yes. Purchase from Steam and Best Buy."
1) I don't use my PC for gaming
2) There isn't a Best Buy near me for another 50 miles."
Buy online regardless.
uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uberpwner93
Demilich said:
" Demilich said: Buy online regardless."
That what I was thinking about doing. But I hate having to pay for shipping.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Demilich
uberpwner93 said:
"Demilich said:
That what I was thinking about doing. But I hate having to pay for shipping."
The money you save on the tag makes up for shipping costs.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, dont feed that evil corporation. Online is the way to go. I either buy online, or at Wally world.

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uberpwner93

Where should I buy online?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Gunner
uberpwner93 said:
"Where should I buy online?"
Newegg is a good place to buy games.
KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By KingBroly

Amazon has free shipping on stuff over $25, although you'll get it a bit later in most cases.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Demilich
Gunner said:
"uberpwner93 said:
"Where should I buy online?"
Newegg is a good place to buy games."
Newegg is great.

Also not really game related, but woot.com often has amazing deals too.
KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KindGalaxy

I buy whereever it is cheaper, if it's at Bestbuy, Gamestop, online, some other method then I do it. I couldn't care less about work practices; i don't work there, so whatever, I'm more interested in saving money on a purchase.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo

I buy at GS, but I get a 10% discount then another 15% for employee discount. Really, GameStop is not a problem for new games as long as you only accept wrapped copies. Any open copies are either (A) On the shelves getting dirty and all touched, or (B) Was rented out by an employee and is therefore "used" but is still sold as "new." They are also great when they have promotions such as last week, where we had buy 2 get 1 free on used games/accessories of your choice.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alexander

I have a question as someone from the UK, when you buy a "new" game from Gamestop, does it come sealed as new or do they remove the discs from the packaging? Because to me a new game should be sealed and unopened.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo
Alexander said:
"I have a question as someone from the UK, when you buy a "new" game from Gamestop, does it come sealed as new or do they remove the discs from the packaging? Because to me a new game should be sealed and unopened."
Our last copy will always be opened and gutted, with the display box on the shelf. If it's a popular or new game (like Gears 2, Star Wars, etc.) then we'll usually have more than enough copies to hand out wrapped. And yes, new games should be sealed and unopened but GS has a policy that allows employees to "rent" games for 4 days for free. In my opinion we should set up some security and place the wrapped copies in security boxes (e.g. Best Buy, Circuit City).
m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By m1k3

Theres nothing wrong with just going in there and buying brand new games. But the whole pre-order/getting you to buy pre-owned games is something you should avoid.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By kush

I buy my games from the place that sells them at the cheapest price. If that's GS one day, then I'll buy from them...if they have a good deal for a week...I'll buy from them. I don't care about how the store may be run because I know it's just business, I'm not going to take it personal.

Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hughes
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Yeah, dont feed that evil corporation. Online is the way to go. I either buy online, or at Wally world."
Oh the irony.
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By CharleyTony

I still go to gamestop (eb games) but I never sell them my used games.

I use those stores to buy games that I wouldnt pay full price for and sometimes there are great deals there, but when you sell them your used games you get ripped off and they make money off of your games.

If I have used games that I dont want I either keep them or give/lend them to friends instead.

Why get 1 $ back from a used game you bought at 5$ ??? keep it or give it instead...

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By tomance

Just don't buy used games, or go to a game crazy or something.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TEAMHOLT

Buy new games from GameStop if that's most convenient for you. For used games, buy them online or use trading sites like Goozex or GameTZ.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I buy my games from Game Crazy, I've never had a problem with them.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shotaro

Buy from wherever business practices while unethical are poor everywhere and they won't be getting better any time soon. Meanwhile game companies routinely treat their staff like crap but you don't stop buying their games do you (and most of you know who I'm talking about so don't ask - just use google)

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By OGCartman
uberpwner93 said:
"Should I stop going there? I've heard about some of their practices and I really think it's really bad. What should I do?"
Well if your buying a brand new game off the shelf theirs no worries
Just dont pre-order, and dont get anything used.
I dont want to sound like a cheap basterd but their bargain bin is cool, i spent like $30 and got 8 cool games (for Xbox, Playing on 360).
Very fun times.
Prime20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Prime20

New i go to gamestop, because i know the games going to eb there and i dont have to beg someone to open a glass case to get my game.

For used i go directly to one of the local Cd Game Exchanges. Not only will they give you a better deal on most stuff, but theres more than just games. Who hasnt traded in something only to find out theres nothing on the shelves worth gettting and had to leave with a pocket of store credit? Atleast with them you have music and movies to consider before leaving with a pocket of money.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By brukaoru

To be honest, if you looked at all the stores you visited on a regular basis and did some research, I'm sure you would find that more than half of them have bad policies and participate in bad practices.

Personally, I don't even think of buying a new game from GameStop unless they have an exclusive edition of a game that I want. However, like Cartman said, if you are someone who likes buying used games, they tend to have a nice selection to browse through.

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uberpwner93
MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"I buy my games from Game Crazy, I've never had a problem with them."
I want to go to a Game Crazy, but the only one close to me is an hour away. The only video game stores in my town, Winchester, Virginia, are a stand-alone Gamestop, and another Gamestop and an EB Games in the mall.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
Hughes said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:
"Yeah, dont feed that evil corporation. Online is the way to go. I either buy online, or at Wally world."
Oh the irony."
At least they dont try and sell you opened games as new. Guess I shoulda said "in terms of video games" :P
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187

If you are ever looking for older games, hit up half.com.  It's a site run by eBay, but non-auction.  Very cool.  I remember buying 50 games on there for $20, and all of them were AAA games on PS2 and Xbox.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Demyx

I've gotten most of my new games online at amazon.com this generation.
I have gotten 2 used games from gamestop, but both games were released a few years ago.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Famov

You should purchase from Gamestop if they give you the best deal for your money.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
Famov said:
"You should purchase from Gamestop if they give you the best deal for your money."
It doesn't exist.  Game Crazy and online sites are always cheaper.

Here in town, Game Crazy is right across the street from GameStop.  We'll take pictures of people trading in GameStop exclusive stuff (like the Final Fantasy XII Limited Edition) to Game Crazy, then tape it on GameStop's door with a note saying "thanks for your business".
theshadow027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By theshadow027

I usually buy my games from Wal-Mart because the nearest Gamestop (EB Games) is a couple of hours away, but I actually like how the EB Games around me is run. They don't try and pressure you into buying things or pre-ordering stuff and they just get right to the point.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Vinchenzo said:
"I buy at GS, but I get a 10% discount then another 15% for employee discount. Really, GameStop is not a problem for new games as long as you only accept wrapped copies. Any open copies are either (A) On the shelves getting dirty and all touched, or (B) Was rented out by an employee and is therefore "used" but is still sold as "new." They are also great when they have promotions such as last week, where we had buy 2 get 1 free on used games/accessories of your choice."
Yeah, people are way too bitchy about Gamestop.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Demyx
jakob187 said:
"Famov said:
"You should purchase from Gamestop if they give you the best deal for your money."

Here in town, Game Crazy is right across the street from GameStop.  We'll take pictures of people trading in GameStop exclusive stuff (like the Final Fantasy XII Limited Edition) to Game Crazy, then tape it on GameStop's door with a note saying "thanks for your business".
"
there aren't any Game Crazy's where I live.
OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Hmm, if it's the only place you can get games nearby I'd still go, unless you yourself have been mistreated by their ways. I usually get my games at Target just because it is the closest place. I also don't trade in or preorder games so I get no advantage for shopping Gamestop. The only place I can think of that I don't shop from due to their practices is Walmart.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Famov
jakob187 said:
"Famov said:

"

It all depends on what stores are by you and how close they are weighed out by any price differences in the games themselves.

I have a Gamestop that only costs me about two bucks in gasoline to drive to. With that in mind, the deal at any other game stores has to be way better to get me to drive to them.

The deals online has to outweigh the shipping costs. Sometimes they do, but often they do not.

For me, Gamestop happens to be the best deal at least half of the time. There are no Game Crazy stores where I live, but I suppose that's their loss as well as mine if they truly are a good deal.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187

Lack of Game Crazy stores is a damn shame...because every one I've been to, the people knew what the fuck they were talking about...and I got more trade-in credit for my games.

I did, however, buy a copy of Crackdown at GameStop about a month ago...but only because all three Game Crazy stores in town were out.  So I went to one of the many GameStops.  =  /  Luckily, it wasn't a used-as-new copy.  LOL
Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Riddler

buy from bestvbuy / circuitcity or even walmart

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#41  Edited By gla55jAw

i buy from ebay. the only time i use gamestop is if it is a game that i wouldn't get a better deal with on ebay, if its a rare game or if it is brand new and i need it that day. otherwise you can even get brand new sealed games on ebay like $15 cheaper.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rockanomics

If your buying online I'd suggest a comparison site, like http://www.pricegrabber.com/. It shows you (almost)any  site that's selling what you search for and show the prices.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Major
uberpwner93 said:
"Should I stop going there? I've heard about some of their practices and I really think it's really bad. What should I do?"
Yes, I stopped going there just because I saw a used copy of GoW for 17$ when a brand new one costs 20$. Not to mention the last time I went there they charged me for a WoTLK preorder, which I never placed.

uberpwner93 said:
"Demilich said:
That what I was thinking about doing. But I hate having to pay for shipping."
Amazon usually has free shipping on a lot of games (When your order is above 30$)
MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MisterSpiffy
CharleyTony said:
"I still go to gamestop (eb games) but I never sell them my used games.

I use those stores to buy games that I wouldnt pay full price for and sometimes there are great deals there, but when you sell them your used games you get ripped off and they make money off of your games.

If I have used games that I dont want I either keep them or give/lend them to friends instead.

Why get 1 $ back from a used game you bought at 5$ ??? keep it or give it instead..."
Exactly what I do.  If you really want something in return, sell games on eBay or a site like Goozex.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By hazelnutman

Toys R Us is even superior to GameStop/EB in every way for new games.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Relys

I go to gamestop to buy, not to trade or sell.

I'm not a fucking idiot, only soccer moms would sell/trade with gamestop.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Demilich

I applied for a job at EB, then a friend who worked there told me some horror stories. I'll pass if they call me back...