Aren't they basically the VGAs?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

They're kind of a joke after they awarded GOTY to MW2 for every single platform possible last year.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

I don't know, I like them cause there very well produced, but I agree they must have been somewhat intoxicated 
Althought after watching the list Best new IP which they awarded to Bayonetta over Heavy Rain?  
"Sighs"
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Geno

If the previous year was any predictor: 

Best Turn-Based Strategy Game: Black Ops 
Best Indie Game: Black Ops 
Best New IP: Black Ops 

etc. 

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hizang

They have already done New IP and new Stratagy. 

New IP - Bayonetta 
Stratagy - Starcraft II 
Best Puzzle Game - Super Scribblenaughts
matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By matpaget
@Hizang: You couldn't tell he was joking?
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hizang

Actully he wasn't, last year showed simmilar results for MW2

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By matpaget
@Hizang said:
"

"
You actually think he thinks that they'd nominate Black Ops for best indie game, best new IP, and best turn based strategy game?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
@MatPaget said:
" @Hizang said:
"

"
You actually think he thinks that they'd nominate Black Ops for best indie game, best new IP, and best turn based strategy game? "
It's called humor.  No, Black Ops wouldn't be nominated for those categories, but given the number of awards they handed to MW2 last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they repeat and give as many awards as possible to Black Ops whether deserved or not.
matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By matpaget
@Hailinel said:
" @MatPaget said:
" @Hizang said:
"

"
You actually think he thinks that they'd nominate Black Ops for best indie game, best new IP, and best turn based strategy game? "
It's called humor.  No, Black Ops wouldn't be nominated for those categories, but given the number of awards they handed to MW2 last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they repeat and give as many awards as possible to Black Ops whether deserved or not. "
I know it's called humour haha. I thought that's what I was trying to explain?
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee
@Geno said:
" If the previous year was any predictor:  Best Turn-Based Strategy Game: Black Ops Best Indie Game: Black Ops Best New IP: Black Ops  etc.  "
Bwahahaha. Brilliant.
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By willin
@Hailinel said:
" They're kind of a joke after they awarded GOTY to MW2 for every single platform possible last year. "
Madness! That's like if Gamespot gave away GOTY to 'Demon's Souls'!
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By phrosnite

Yeah, Gamefailers always mess up the awards. That site is good for only one thing... trailers, nothing else.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By HerbieBug
@Geno said:
" If the previous year was any predictor:  Best Turn-Based Strategy Game: Black Ops Best Indie Game: Black Ops Best New IP: Black Ops  etc.  "
yep. 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By JJOR64
@HerbieBug said:
" @Geno said:
yep.  "
Don't forget best Fighting game and best Puzzle game.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By vitor

Shane Shatterfield has fully admitted that they basically are the Shane awards - it's his favourite games, just like the GB GOTY will be Jeff, Ryan, VInny and Brad's. I hated the MW2 sweepstakes last year but, it's understandable.

Having said that,  I still hate that they're being so stubborn minded about not allowing a multiplatform category and lumping exclusives with the rest. I understand their reasoning, and you wouldn't see such nonsense in the film industry (i.e. best film released by Miramax) but, considering how much it may affect someone's purchasing decision and how different the platforms can be, I way prefer Giantbomb's system. Plus, it gives some games their due where otherwise they might not have been nominated for anything. Opens up the playing field and I think that exposure can sometimes be a great thing.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By Icemael
@Hizang said:
" Althought after watching the list Best new IP which they awarded to Bayonetta over Heavy Rain?  "Sighs" "
There have been several new IPs this year better than Heavy Rain: Let's Make A Terrible Film And Throw In Some Quick-Time Events So We Can Sell It To Stupid Gamers Because They Wouldn't Know A Good Story If It Smacked Them In The Face, and Bayonetta is certainly one of them.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By natetodamax

Black Ops wins everything.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phrosnite
@CaLe said:
" @phrosnite said:
" Yeah, Gamefailers always mess up the awards. That site is good for only one thing... trailers, nothing else. "
Pach....attack? T-T "
No, the pach attack is bad most of the time...
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
" @Hailinel said:
" They're kind of a joke after they awarded GOTY to MW2 for every single platform possible last year. "
Madness! That's like if Gamespot gave away GOTY to 'Demon's Souls'! "
Gamespot actually managed to back up their reasoning for Demon's Souls pretty well.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Hailinel said:
That is WHY they are a joke now. Because its pretty much said they where paid off for this award. 
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hizang
@Icemael said:
" @Hizang said:
" Althought after watching the list Best new IP which they awarded to Bayonetta over Heavy Rain?  "Sighs" "
There have been several new IPs this year better than Heavy Rain: Let's Make A Terrible Film And Throw In Some Quick-Time Events So We Can Sell It To Stupid Gamers Because They Wouldn't Know A Good Story If It Smacked Them In The Face, and Bayonetta is certainly one of them. "

This is an internet forum, you are not entitled to your own opnions!
Belmont_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Belmont_Shadow

Giving MW2 GOTY ahead of Uncharted 2 was a complete joke. Shane satterfield or whatever his name just loves COD too much. Though i suspect Mario galaxy 2 will win this year.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hizang

Hmm, I don't know, Mario Galaxy 2 wasn't even in the VGA's, complete joke!
Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Turtlefuzz

Happy Bayonetta won. I really wanna play that game.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

They haven't given Limbo any awards yet. 

I approve of this.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MysteriousBob
@turtlefuzz said:
" Happy Bayonetta won. I really wanna play that game. "
... but you haven't played it. 

Don't get me wrong, I have played it, and it is a good game. But why would you be happy it won when you've never even played it? You may hate it for all you know. 

Or is this about it beating Heavy Rain? I must say, Heavy Rain looks like the most distant, tedious game in the world. I'm not saying it -is-, but it certainly isn't innovate. Its a step back to the early CD-Rom games.
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By moelarrycurly
@Hizang said:
" Hmm, I don't know, Mario Galaxy 2 wasn't even in the VGA's, complete joke! "
That game was amazing, but it really wasn't anything that I hadn't played before.  Sure, it perfected everything that the first Galaxy did, but at the end of the day, it's essentially a expansion pack... 

I got all 242 stars and loved it to death anyway though.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Icemael said:
" @Hizang said:
There have been several new IPs this year better than Heavy Rain: Let's Make A Terrible Film And Throw In Some Quick-Time Events So We Can Sell It To Stupid Gamers Because They Wouldn't Know A Good Story If It Smacked Them In The Face, and Bayonetta is certainly one of them. "
Not disagreeing with your opinion on better new IPs than Heavy Rain, but I'm calling bullshit on your reasoning. 

Heavy Rain was fantabulous up until the third act. It fell apart with the Shyamalan Twist and it was so baffling that it ruined the ending of the game. Everything up until that point was well executed and the narrative hit all the notes that Quantic Dream wanted to. Saying it's a game for stupid people by stupid people is quite asinine. 
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By ThePickle

Hmm, let me predict: 

GOTY PS3: Red Dead Redemption 
GOTY 360: Red Dead Redemption 
Overall GOTY: Red Dead Redemption  

Seriously, fuck GameTrailers. 

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By swamplord666
@MysteriousBob said:
... but you haven't played it.  Don't get me wrong, I have played it, and it is a good game. But why would you be happy it won when you've never even played it? You may hate it for all you know. 
Yep. I rented the game looking forward to it because i love DMC and although the gameplay is awesome, the setting and story is just way to rediculous I couldn't stand it. That and the japanese pop.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hizang
@HandsomeDevil:
Red Dead Deserves it though...
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By ThePickle
@Hizang said:
" @HandsomeDevil: Red Dead Deserves it though... "
But not for all platforms. Maybe RDR wasn't the best example. I was more referring to the fact that they give one multiplatform game all the console specific awards, which completely defeats the point of console specific awards. 
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By phrosnite

Best Racing Game - GT5 LOL!!! Gamefailers!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Gabriel
@MysteriousBob said:
" @turtlefuzz said:
" Happy Bayonetta won. I really wanna play that game. "
... but you haven't played it.  Don't get me wrong, I have played it, and it is a good game. But why would you be happy it won when you've never even played it? You may hate it for all you know.  Or is this about it beating Heavy Rain? I must say, Heavy Rain looks like the most distant, tedious game in the world. I'm not saying it -is-, but it certainly isn't innovate. Its a step back to the early CD-Rom games. "
Heavy Rain is indeed very tedious, the mystery really isn't that great, and the characters are flat and wooden. I literally had more fun with Kings Quest 7.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By Icemael
@KingWilly said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Hizang said:
Not disagreeing with your opinion on better new IPs than Heavy Rain, but I'm calling bullshit on your reasoning.  Heavy Rain was fantabulous up until the third act. It fell apart with the Shyamalan Twist and it was so baffling that it ruined the ending of the game. Everything up until that point was well executed and the narrative hit all the notes that Quantic Dream wanted to. Saying it's a game for stupid people by stupid people is quite asinine.  "
The pacing and the acting were poor from the very beginning of the game.
Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By Turtlefuzz
@MysteriousBob:  I'm happy that a game so crazy and original can be rewarded. Not to sound pretentious, but it's nice that a game that in it's own way breaks the mold in terms of style can be praised in the way Bayonetta was. And you make a good point, I haven't played it, I may hate it, but I can still appreciate it's sense of style and overall insanity.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By vidiot
@Hailinel said:
It's funny because it's true. 

I loved their reasoning last year why Uncharted 2 wasn't winning PS3 GOTY, because MW2's multiplayer was more popular. I remember sitting dumbfounded listening to it. I think I want to hunt down that video and listen to it again: Because I still can't understand or comprehend that, and perhaps I'm mistaken. 

That's like giving Avatar an Oscar for Best Picture, because everyone went to go see it.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By KaosAngel

Why the hate for MW2?  It's the best selling game this generation, so a good percentage of you bought the game.

GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
@Hailinel said:
My sentiments exaclty.
Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42  Edited By Stealthmaster86
@KaosAngel:
Because there was MUCH better games that came out last year. Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed II, and Batman Arkham Asylum. and those are the multiplatform games.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@HandsomeDevil said:
" Hmm, let me predict:  GOTY PS3: Red Dead Redemption GOTY 360: Red Dead Redemption Overall GOTY: Red Dead Redemption   Seriously, fuck GameTrailers.  "
GOTY PC: Red Dead Redemption
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ignor

Why do people care about GotY awards?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ch13696

As much as I'm appreciating what their winners are so far, how does GT get away with having two separate awards. They already have the VGA's.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hizang
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hailinel
@KaosAngel said:
" Why the hate for MW2?  It's the best selling game this generation, so a good percentage of you bought the game. "
Sales don't equal quality, and as can be evidenced by the firestorm of glitch videos and internet complaints regarding the buggy multiplayer, it wasn't a technically sound experience.  To say that it deserved PS3 GOTY over Uncharted 2 based on the notion that more people were playing MW2 multiplayer is a ludicrous assessment.
Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lab392
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By penguindust

I'm certain I haven't played enough 2010 titles to make an informed judgment so I'll be relying on hearsay and hype when it comes to the GOTY.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ch13696

I just watched all the videos for Gametrailers 2009 GotY awards and they were pathetic. Completely ridiculous. Well the last of them were. Here's the reason why... 

• Their best PC games consisted of console to PC ports except for Dragon Age Origins. There was no mention of Dawn of War II, Empire Total War, or Left 4 Dead 2
  • Their best PS3 games consisted of all multi-platforms except for Uncharted 2. There was no mention of Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank, or Infamous
  • Their best Xbox 360 once again consisted all multi-platforms except for Ballad of Gay Tony. There was no mention of Halo ODST or Forza 2