Gaming Confessions

• 115 results
ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A recent article over on Kotaku got me thinking about some "gaming confessions" of my own:

I have never played a Legend of Zelda game

I have never played a Metroid game

I think Goldeneye on N64 was a terrible game, even when it first came out.

I actually prefer(ed) Sonic over Mario

I bought a Dreamcast at launch

The only Nintendo systems I've ever owned is a N64 and a Gameboy Color.

I don't really watch wrestling anymore, but I enjoy wrestling games. A lot

I've only played one Resident Evil and that was Resident Evil 4. It was ok.

I've never played a turn based game that I really liked( including Pokemon, XCOM, JRPG's, Civ, etc.)

I only played Half-Life 2 on PC (never finished it) never played 1 or the extra episodes.

I think Bioshock Infinite is the best Bioshock

I've put in an unhealthy absurd amount in Age of Empires II, probably over a years worth of my life.( I like RTS's)

What are some of yours?

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy 7 is the only game in the series I've played (and I've never finished it) I've also never played a civilization game before O.o those are the only two I can think of right now.

Do you remember the article on kotaku you were reading? :D I might enjoy it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I've put maybe 1000 hours in to Persona 4. I just. Can't. Stop.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Does anyone remember what the recent thread was called that was exactly this? I can't recall the title, I think it was within the last few months.

Numbnutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Numbnutz

-I've never played, touched or even seen an actual Sega console

-I have an aggregate of 2435 hours played over the past 5 versions of Football Manager (ironically published by Sega) on Steam.

-I really did not enjoy Mario64

-I've been a closet clicker player for a time longer than I'd like to admit to.

-I've always loved the idea of stealth games like Dishonored, the old Thief trilogy and MGS, but do to my own incompetence, HATE playing them.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-I've never beaten Mike Tyson. It's cliche I know, but even after seeing Mike Matei (that other guy from AVGN) and Dan Ryckert make short work of him, I just panic any time I get passed his initial flurry.

-I've yet to beat Final Fantasy 8 despite dozens of tries. I know most of the FF games like the back of my hand, but this one...

-My favorite Megaman is Megaman 5. Gravity man stage is best stage.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@mike said:

Does anyone remember what the recent thread was called that was exactly this? I can't recall the title, I think it was within the last few months.

As far as I can tell, there's been one almost every year, though the last one with this exact phrasing was 2 years ago.

I have some vague memories of a "gaming sins" thread fairly recently, but I can't find it.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Zirilius

Dark Age of Camelot was my first MMO.

I spent thousands of hours playing MUDs.

I have also spent thousands of hours playing World of Warcraft. No other MMO or game has captured me like this has.

I got an achievement in Two Worlds because I lost a bet.

I regret not playing Too Human. IT'S A VIDEO GAME

I think Nintendo hasn't been good since the SNES.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have over 10,000 hours logged in EverQuest. Ooops.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have broken up with a girlfriend to play Legacy of Kain ( it wasn't going anywhere)

I spent close to 1000 hours in FFVII

I regret buying No Man's Sky

Fallout IV was the first season pass I honestly did not regret

I believe that beer and video games are like peanut butter & jelly

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I never finished Planescape: Torment because, by the time I got around to it, the UI was too small to really read and interact with stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Silent Hill shattered memories is my favorite Silent Hill game of all time just replayed it on my ps2 and I want a HD remake for it on PC.

Indie games never cared for any of them I use to love sidescrollers in the 90's but I have no desire to go back.

I bought a PS3 many years ago and returned it after a couple of days. I been playing PC games for so long I could not stand playing any type of third or first person shooter with a gamepad.

I cannot stand celshaded graphics.

I like GTASA more than Vice City.

My last console I really enjoyed was PS2.

I got my Oculus Rift in late June I have hard time going back playing anything on a monitor I want all games in VR.

I think COD4 the most overrated FPS shooter of all time and it's influence ruined other game series that use to be great.

According to Steam I have 198 hours in Sleeping Dogs so you could say I replayed the shit out of that game still waiting for a sequel.

I'm nostalgic for games I never played I can't explain this.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I duped in Diablo 1 online.

I think the new DOOM multiplayer is really good.

I think all classic Mario games handle like shit. Does not feel like tight platforming at all.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ozzdog12

@giantlennonx_x: I think he may be referencing this one? http://kotaku.com/kotaku-confessional-1784987137

For me, its more strongly opinionated 'confessionals' of specific things rather than certain games, if that makes sense:

I have never played a Metroid game

I'll take a good single player over a great mulitplayer, 100% of the time

I do play games on PC, but when I do, I have to have a controller. M&K are way overrated imo

I don't like Minecraft, DOTA, or League of Legends

Red Dead Redemption is the best game Rockstar has ever made.

Vice City was the last great GTA

Street Fighter hasn't been good since SFII

I bought Two Worlds 1 and The Order 1886. Day one. Only regrettable purchases I've ever made, IIRC

I bought a Vita just to play Uncharted...been collecting dust since then mostly.

Assassins Creed 3 wasn't that bad. I really liked the George Washington DLC

I've never played an Elders Scrolls game, despite owning Skyrim on Steam for over 3 years.

Maybe because I played them way too late, but All 3 Fallout's prior to 3 are terrible.

I've purchased Baulder's Gate 2 6 times since its initial release (4 physical copies, 2 digital) and STILL never beaten it.

I've owned and played several Legend of Zelda games...and I've never finished one. Came really close to beating Link Between Two Worlds.

I owned a Gamecube for less than a month

I bought a PS2 specifically to play NBA Street.

I still own my original SNES.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- I have never beaten Vigilante on the Amstrad CPC legit. The lives counter would always break and give my infinite lives. I still don't know how I accomplished this.

- I have never finished a Mario or Zelda title.

- I have never reached the end of Disc One in FF VII, despite many, many attempts.

- I can't be arsed with magic in any Souls game.

- Rockstar are the kind of people I never want to work for.

- I've never beaten Half-Life without Noclip.

- Hideo Kojima should've quit years ago.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By notnert427
@atastyslurpee said:

I think Goldeneye on N64 was a terrible game, even when it first came out.

I will fight you. Quite possibly the greatest game of all-time.

@ozzdog12 said:

Red Dead Redemption is the best game Rockstar has ever made.

Assassins Creed 3 wasn't that bad. I really liked the George Washington DLC

Agreed on both. I appreciated the darker story of ACIII and I loved the Frontier, both of which most people apparently hated. It's between RDR and GTA V for R*'s best game, and I could argue for either, but I enjoyed RDR more.

@jec03 said:

I like GTASA more than Vice City.

Likewise. It's a better game with a lot more to do. Vice City gets too much credit as a game because of its style. Also, Scarface is wildly overrated.

My confessions:

I've never played a Mass Effect game.
I've never played a Bioshock game.
I've never played a Fallout game.
I buy beefy PCs capable of running most games and then never buy PC games.
I used to make pathetically accurate rosters on the NCAA football games.
I've never played Mario 64.
I refuse to play MOBAs and F2P phone games.
I think survival-horror games are boring as hell.
I think Titanfall is the only multiplayer FPS worth a damn that's come out in the last five years.
I wore a red tie at my wedding because of Hitman.
I shun a lot of Japanese games for being creepy and/or weird.
I think the Xbox One is the greatest console that's ever been made.
I overlevel whenever possible.
I never played a Zelda game past the original.
I pre-order most games I buy.
I think Burnout: Revenge was the best Burnout game.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie:Matthew Rorie, the RPGman never finished Planescape Torment? This is shocking, distressing news. What other dark secrets lurk beneath the placid waters of lake Rorie? Do we even know you at all? DO YOU EVEN LIKE PUPPIES, SIR? DO YOU EVEN REALLY LIKE PUPPIES?

@kingbonesaw: I am definitely NOT admitting all my bad purchasing decisions. Suffice it to say I have bought multiple full-price games that are either still in the shrinkwrap or, worse, were DIGITAL purchases I never got around to playing. Ugh.

As for confessions I will make:

- I have never played a Deus Ex game (beyond half the tutorial of the first) even though I love cyberpunk. I have never played a Shadowrun video game either (though I have played the pen & paper RPG.)

- I have never beaten a classic adventure game on my own, only playing with a friend, who had the determination I lacked to get through annoying unintuitive puzzles.

- I prefer singleplayer to multiplayer in fighting games. It's not just about being demolished online either; I have always been this way.

- I cannot recall a NES or SNES game I beat when those consoles were relevant without using cheat codes or a guide.

- I will buy basically game for less than $5 and almost anything for less than $10, assuming my wallet is in decent shape that month.

- I prefer digital games to physical because I have had to give up too many physical games during moves around the Northeast, where space actually matters.

- I have a large number of original Xbox games but no original Xbox, since the drive crapped out on mine twice.

- My most-played game this generation, and it isn't close, is the FTP Magic Duels: Origin game on the Xbox One, but I have put zero money into it because the prices on the cards are bad, even though I'd like to "tip" the developers for making a game I...have a complicated relationship with but ultimately do enjoy.

- I still kind of care about trophies and achievements.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When Blockbuster use to exist, I rented Resident Evil: Outbreak multiple times. I never finished that game or completed all the scenarios.

I played Madden NFL 2000-2005 like an RPG. I played every game in franchise mode to avoid having my players get hurt. I piled up game stats so that my player attributes would go up at the end of the season. I made an effort for the second and third string players to play a few snaps so their stat attributes not atrophy for not playing.

I used cheat codes to beat Catalina in Grand Theft Auto 3. The last missions in GTA3 were brutal.

I was so angry at the convoluted ending of the first Assassins Creed game that I traded it at Gamestop that day. The game made huge impression on me the first seven hours. When I go to the end. The repetitive nature of finishing the nine targets to get to the final boss broke me.

I broke four or five dual shock controllers. I use to smash them on the floor or throw them against the wall when I got angry. I stop doing that when I got a PS3 and the price for a controller went up.

I only wanted to go to my cousins or dad's friends kids house to play the NES. At the time I did not had a video game system.

I shook the NES controller up and down thinking it would make Mario jump higher in Super Mario Bros.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a few I'd like to add:

I bought a Wii so I could play Guitar Hero: Metallica in my room.

I pretend I'm good at fighting games when I'm really not.

I put in over 150 hours into Dragon Age Inquisition and still never saw the ending.

I played World of Warcraft for about 3 years and made 2 friends.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, here we go:

I highly dislike Zelda. I tried playing the original when I was a kid, tried playing the second one when it came out, and gave up. I also think Breath of the Wild looks lame. Just don't get it.

I've played every campaign to every Call of Duty, all the way through, and enjoy it much more than the multiplayer.

Resident Evil 6 is an alright game. Not great like 4 or 2, but way better than most people make it out to be. I've bought 3 copies since it launched(PS3, PC, Xbox One)

Max Payne 3 is possibly the best 3rd person shooter ever made. The fact that it is not praised as such is horse shit.

I played Fallout 4 with a second character on Xbox One, completing every side mission up to the start of Far Harbor, then restarted from scratch on PC and played all the way through Far Harbor, back to back

I had more fun watching Patrick play Spelunky than I did actually playing it

I think Overwatch is highly overrated, and wish people would get over it already. Not saying it's bad, just not as great as everyone makes it out to be

The only thing I don't like about Destiny is that to get the coolest gear, you have to play Multiplayer(Trials, Iron Banner, etc.) Other than that I think it's great

I have never actually beaten a Final Fantasy game. I've played 1, 4, 6, 7,10(part one), 12, and 13(part one).

I actively disliked Souls games until I played Bloodborne, and am now addicted to them. Dark Souls 3 needs to go back on sale on Steam, pronto

I love Metal Gear, but just couldn't bring myself to finish Phantom Pain. I youtubed the big twist.

The only Dragon Age game I've completed was 2

I've always thought Guitar Hero and Rock Band were lame, probably because I can actually play music on real instruments, and I hate hearing people butcher music I like

I own 160 games on Steam, and have never played a single multiplayer game on PC. I have 1 friend on that service, but have never played anything with him

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By betterley

Assassins Creed 3 is my favorite AC game. Seriously.

I bought All Pro Football 2K8 at least 5 times between 360 and PS3 versions. (Will 2K ever make another football game? I wish)

I like the Witcher 3 so much I'm afraid to play it-- like a kid who doesn't want to scratch his new bike. I never want W3 to end.

I can never stay interested in a CRPG, which really bothers me. I love story driven games, which most CRPG's are, but at some point I always feel "disconnected" from what's going on. I think it's the God view, and the fact I have no nostalgia for them. Also, I like having direct control of my character, not just telling them what to do.

I spend more time thinking, watching, and reading about games more than I actually play them... What's wrong with me? (Thanks Giant Bomb)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Max Payne 3 is possibly the best 3rd person shooter ever made. The fact that it is not praised as such is horse shit.

I couldn't agree more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I think the first 3 Uncharted games are mediocre at best
  • I've never finished a Zelda game
  • I never finished RE4
  • I never finished Bioshock
  • I think Borderlands is overrated and not that funny
  • I thought Kojima was a great writer when I was a teen. Now I can barely tolerate the writing in MGS. I have zero ambition to replay them due to this, coupled with the fact that I want them all to control like MGS V.
  • I think there is a lot of bullshit in the Souls games and I loose respect for fan's opinions when they can't admit to this
  • I've never played a valve game
  • I let shitty fans push me away from playing (possibly) really good video games just because I don't want to be associated with them-I do this with non-video game things as well
  • I bought and sold a Wii U and now I'm thinking of buying one again for Zelda, Nintendo's downloadable bullshit is pushing me away since I won't get my digital games back.
FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the most overrated game, and only seen as amazing because it came out at a time when 3D games were first finding their footing. The story is poorly thought out, the characters were forgettable, and the puzzles aren't things you can logically solve but rather require trial and error to figure out what the game expects you to do.

That being said, the Water Temple was nowhere near as bad as everyone made it out to be. In fact, it was the only temple that was upfront about what it expected of the player.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

• I really enjoyed Huniepop, that is a great puzzle game.
  • Sakura Swim Club has a way better story than it ought to.
  • I have watcher the Persona 4 Endurance Run 8 times since the first time I watched it, which was only 4 years ago. I have also beaten P4G 4 times in addition to that (sometimes even watching the ER and playing Golden at the same time). I should preface that Persona 4 is my favorite game ever, that helps me at night.
Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

When I bought Heavyweight Champ for the Master System I clocked it on my first play through and then couldn't get past the third guy (Max Williams) for like 15 years. Seriously fuck that guy and his huge recovery during the intermission bs.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just stuff related to my PC really:

• My CPU (i5 4690K) is more expensive than my GPU (750 Ti SC).
  • I don't overclock my 4690K, and can't because my motherboard uses the B85 chipset.
  • I have 8GBs of RAM across three sticks.
  • I have four LED fans and a light strip.
  • And I don't have an SSD.
Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've never finished a Zelda game

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By flasaltine

@rorie said:

I never finished Planescape: Torment because, by the time I got around to it, the UI was too small to really read and interact with stuff.

I just finished this game recently. There is a a UI mod to go along with the widescreen mod by Ghostdogs that has an option to increase the text size. Perfectly readable at 1080p.

@zirilius said:

I have also spent thousands of hours playing World of Warcraft. No other MMO or game has captured me like this has.

How do MUDs work? As far as I know they are just text based MMO's but I tried to play one a few years ago and I couldn't figure out how to group up with or see other people. Do they even offer that?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like an unpopular opinion, but I really dislike the character action games that Platinum makes.

I've used cheat engine to finish all three Dark Souls games (offline of course); but still enjoy playing them. Take that, you purists.

I completed all available optional challenges at the beginning of AC:Syndicate before I barely started the story. I completed about 95% of optional challenges before making it halfway through.

I have over 4300 hours in Final Fantasy XI.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

I put at least a couple hundred hours into Too Human, mainly co-op with a friend. I actually enjoyed it, and am possibly one of the only people saddened that I'll never get another entry in the supposed trilogy.

Well, me, and Denis Dyack.

I also kinda agree with you on Nintendo, as well.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By monetarydread
  • I think that Skyrim is a better game than Morrowind.
  • I think that graphics are an integral part of videogames and the idea that you have to choose between better graphics or better gameplay is a bullshit choice. Do both, or your game isn't as good as it should be.
  • I don't care whether you spell the word videogames, video-games, or video games. I think this is rooted in the fact that I don't really give a damn about grammar and I vehemently believe that the people who correct grammar on the internet are worse than the people who post before proof-reading their work.
  • Sonic has always been terrible, even Sonic 2.
  • I like grinding in video games and I would rather have grinding than enemies that level up with you.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics is the worst Final Fantasy game because if you grind you will be end up fighting enemies that you cannot beat (Edit: they auto-level with you, only the enemies get better gear that you don't have. Grind enough and you will end up getting one-shotted by a mage on your second turn), thus forcing you to use a gameshark or reset the game entirely.
    • Close runners up would be FF VIII, and FFX... I truely hate those games and I would rather play Mystic Quest again than suffer through FFX.
  • FFX has the worst battle design in the entire series. They took one of the most linear FF games and even applied it to the battle system. Oh wow, there is a flying creature; time to use Wakka. This enemy has armor on its back; I guess I am using Auron. Oh sweet, this one is only vulnerable to magic, etc. Sure, I guess I could use other characters, but why would I kill an enemy in two hits when I could one-shot them? That whole paper-rock-scissors design pisses me off because it removes all strategy from the fights and just introduces busywork.
  • FF XII is the secret, best Final Fantasy game
  • A game that is more difficult does not inherrently make it a better game. Sometimes I just want to jump into a game and kill dudes without any challenge whatsoever.
  • I haven't played a SINGLE game that has had a story that I care about. I can take em or leave em
    • On a similar note, there has been times where I have put a game away forever simply because it didn't allow me to skip a cutscene.
  • My biggest pet-peeve in video games is when a game has a forced tutorial that you cannot skip. You know what? I already know how to open a menu and level up my character, you don't need to hijack the game and force me to go through the levelling up tutorial (Edit: This is more of a problem in mobile games, but I play enough of them to rant about it because it sucks in $60 games as well). Maybe it is just because I grew up playing D&D gold box games, but if I am stuck, I would rather reference a manual (yes, even a digitial one in the options menu) than be forced to go through your linear-assed tutorial.
  • I dislike games that hold your hand and prevent you from creating your own fun. One of the best examples I can think of is when I was recently playing Space Marine and I reached a point in the game where the level layout was in a chain-link pattern. The game was so scared of me breaking their design that even though the left and right path would terminate into a single corridor after 50ft of walking forward, they still blocked off 1/2 of the path with crates. Bullshit.
  • I don't believe that games should be celebrated, simply because they tried somethig new. I know this has been beaten to death, but Mario World 2 is a perfect example of this. Baby Mario is annoying sure, but the real annoying part is that you have to chase after him instead of just going through a few frames of invincibility, like the other games. Also fuck the egg throwing mechanic; Mario games are great because their is a flow to the movement, Yoshi throwing eggs just slows the game to standstill while I wait for the glorified golf-swing mechanic to go through its paces. It becomes nothing more than busywork and I think I hate most forms of busywork in games.
  • Hunger / Sleep / Water / Fuel / and Inventory Management systems suck. There is a reason why almost no games included them for 30+ years.
Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teoball
  • I think Assassins Creed 3 is a great game.
  • Resident Evil 4 is the only numbered RE game I didn't finish or like much at all.
  • Resident Evil 6 is the best RE game since 2.
  • I haven't enjoyed a Mario game since Super Mario World.
  • Final Fantasy 8 is my favorite FF game.
  • I..uh platinumed Senran Kagura : Estival Versus
Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 is the only good resident evil, I mean really now

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

• Super Mario 64 is boring and has always been boring
  • Sly Cooper = best 3D platformer series
  • I've liked a few Metroids and Metroidvania's, but the core exploration hook of that style of game has never done much for me
  • Final Fantasy XIII isn't that bad, in fact I like some of the ideas the battle system has
  • Despite being a big fan of old school Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy IV has always felt generic and boring, from both story and gameplay perspectives
  • Chrono Trigger is a nice game with some great ideas, but I have no idea where this idea it's some god-tier game that nothing else in the genre can touch comes from. I've played it twice and I'd still have a hard time remembering the names of characters. I play rpgs all the time that are better than CT imo
  • Chrono Cross, while a much more flawed game, at its best is a more interesting game than Trigger
  • Grand Theft Auto is amusing in short spurts, but I've never felt that interested in diving into one before V
  • The Last of Us has boring gameplay that lacks depth and repeats itself too much. Storywise the only thing it has going for it is a good ending. Too bad everything before it is cliche-ridden post-apocalyptic tropes I've seen too many times before.
  • Journey is pretty but the story is too basic to be interesting.
  • The only thing The Wind Waker has going for it is its artstyle. Everything else about it is average or below average standard Zelda fare
  • Nearly every Zelda game since Ocarina has been disappointing
  • The Vita is one of the best system ever
  • Street Fighter IV is not a great fighter. I get some of the reasons why it caught on but man, there have been so many other fighters that could have used more love. I know I'd bury SF to resurrect Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur
pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitman absolution is the best in the series

Bioshock 2 is criminally underrated

I loved Assassins creed 3

RE6 is better that 5

GTAV is better than Red Dead

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a few confessions as well:

I have trouble beating games in the Soul's series as I restart and re-spec too much.

I never did like pokeman. Not even back in the day.

FF VIII was bad enough to make me stop caring about the series. I almost never played X or XII because of it.

The last FPS military shooter I did not actively dislike was Bad Company 2. That game was great.

I never played Half Life 2.

I don't like Earthbound.

Uncharted 2 was the only one I liked. I keep trying and still don't enjoy them.

I hated Twilight Princess but loved Skyward Sword.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I think the first 3 Uncharted games are mediocre at best

Make that 4, and I'm with you. I'll also say that The Last of Us is overall just good, not great, with lots of parts that really suck.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

• I talk about FF7 lore (love it) as if I've played it... My only interaction with FF7 is through Kingdom Hearts, Advent Children, and Wikis/videos.

That's a serious gaming confession right there if I've ever had one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrroach: Are you referring to the Vita game? Or Uncharted 4? I've only made it half way through 4 and like it a lot better. I think the characters actually have some depth now and the fighting feels better.

Last of Us I still need to beat, but there were definitely some difficulty spikes that made it not as fun. Also the lame ass moving the boxes and what not.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: Uncharted 4. I still found just about every combat section completely unfun, and most of the climbing/"puzzle" parts overly simplistic.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShaggE

I don't like most of the commonly accepted "best games ever". FF7, Mario 64, Ocarina (or really any Zelda game)... not being contrarian or anything, I just don't like 'em that much or at all.

I grew up a PC gamer, but I have zero qualms about playing shooters on consoles. The recent Doom, for example, plays excellently with a controller.

Pokemon does nothing for me. Go is pretty cool, though.

I like Persona 3 a great deal, but I have a year-old save halfway through that I never got back to. It taunts me.

The same goes for Fatal Frame 1 and 3, and Resident Evil 1, 2, and 3. It's not the games, which I love, it's me. My patience for old-school survival horror has dwindled greatly. And don't even get me started on Silent Hill... I adore everything about SH except actually playing it.

I'm a huge fan of point-and-click adventures, even (especially?) the bad ones. That said, I can count the ones I've finished without impatient glances at a walkthrough on one hand.

I don't like the first two Fallouts.

Duke Nukem Forever had its moments. The story DLC was actually pretty good.

Never beat a Mario game. I'm useless at platformers. Always have been, which made the era where 90% of games were platformers a bit cheat-heavy on my part.

RDR bored the piss out of me. I just don't like Westerns at all.

Doom 3 was a great game.

The Undertale fanbase baffles me as much as the Sonic fanbase does. I mean, Undertale was clever as shit, but damn. Pull it back a notch.

ODST is the best Halo.

-----------------

MOST IMPORTANT, DEEPEST CONFESSION OF ALL:

Fuck Burnout Paradise. Open-world racing is the worst. Burnout 3 is king, goddammit. Also, I own two copies of Paradise, and legit have no memory of getting them.

EDIT:

Couple more, because this is weirdly fun.

Stardew Valley is wildly boring, although I admit that it's super cool that it exists.

I think the best Unreal game was the original. UT is great and all, but they should have kept on with the SP stuff too.

Backyard Wrestling is a shit-ton of fun. I think it would have been received better if it didn't have that ICP connection.

I would totally play a Manhunt 3.

Arkham City is the best in the series. In fact, I'd rank Asylum third, right after Knight.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

• With the obvious exception of games on my 3DS, I use keyboard and/or mouse for everything. I don't even own a controller.
  • As a corollary, I haven't had a home console since the original PlayStation.
  • I compulsively take a ludicrous amount of screenshots in the majority of games I play.
  • The entire Pokemon franchise has eluded me; I just can't find any motivation to even try to get into it.
  • I am still pretty bitter about having KoTOR spoiled for me.
  • For the most part, I steer well away from multiplayer games.
  • Just the thought of medieval fantasy settings makes my eyes glaze over.
prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I have never enjoyed playing any of the 2D mario games.
  • Batman Forever was my favorite game I had on the SNES.
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Justin258

@gundogan said:

I duped in Diablo 1 online.

I think the new DOOM multiplayer is really good.

I think all classic Mario games handle like shit. Does not feel like tight platforming at all.

I don't think they handle like shit, necessarily, but those old Mario games are more about handling momentum than you might think at first and, frankly, I'm not a huge fan of that. To that end, I think Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best platformer on the SNES and might be the best 2D platformer of all time.

Anyway, yes, I can spew some opinions that some might see as a bit trollish. I'm going to spoiler-block this because it got really long.

Rockstar games, though, those do handle like shit. I've had my fair share of fun GTA V, but damn that game has control issues. Oddly enough, most of those control issues were alleviated on PC, where I tended to play the game with a keyboard and mouse. Max Payne 3 is a game that I played entirely with a keyboard and mouse because Rockstar just can't make aiming feel right on a controller. They just go with "eh, here's a wonky lock on mechanic, go nuts".

While we're on the subject of Rockstar games, Red Dead Redemption is boring. I can appreciate a great atmosphere and aesthetic as much as the next guy but holy shit, I got so tired of doing jobs for people to get information that those people would never give me. That game's story grinds to a complete halt for pretty much the entire middle third. Too bad it's probably still the best American Western sort of game we have.

I have completed two Legend of Zelda games and I'm well on my way to finishing a third. The two I've completed are A Link Between Worlds and Wind Waker and the one I'm getting close to finishing is Twilight Princess. I think Twilight Princess has, thus far, been the most memorably and enjoyable out of all of them. A Link Between Worlds was almost as good. Wind Waker was clever and charming and all but all the sailing and dumb shit crammed into the last half of that game just pulled me out of it.

I pre-ordered that Mad Max game that came out last year. Digitally. And despite owning a pretty good PC, I bought it Xbox One. And the PC port turned out to be one of the best-optimized ports pretty much ever. And I still spent twenty hours playing it on Xbox One (to be fair, the Xbox One version looks and performs better than pretty much anything that a) runs at 30FPS and b) isn't Forza Horizon 2.)

The only Metal Gear Solid game I've finished is MGS2. I thought the Metal Gear Ray fight was the best gameplay portion of that game. I think the ridiculous ending of that game is just the worst fucking bullshit and I really hope that whatever team Kojima is working with these days includes one hell of an editor. I am still interested in playing MGS3. I am also interested in tackling MGSV one of these days.

Tomb Raider 2013 is a great game that is better than Uncharted in almost every way. Except dialog. Uncharted's still got it beat in the dialog department. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a disappointing game, or at least that was my initial opinion of it but I kinda want to play through it on PC first.

While we're talking about it, playing Uncharted fucking sucks. Like, every part of those games control like garbage and the fucking enemy encounters are terrible. On top of that, the set pieces those games are known for might be impressive on a technical level but I still had a hard time bringing myself to care about them.

On the other hand, The Last of Us is pretty good. I still think enemy encounters in that game are often bad and, much like Rockstar, Naughty Dog can't seem to make a game where aiming feels as natural with an analog stick as it should. Why would you make a headshot-heavy game when pulling headshots is an exercise in frustration? This is coming from a guy that routinely found himself on the top of the scoreboards in Halo 5's multiplayer, so getting headshots with an analog stick is not something that I have a problem doing. Still, more than worth it for the superb story and atmosphere.

Bioshock 2 has vastly better gameplay than Bioshock 1 or Infinite and serves as an interesting, if failed, narrative companion piece to Bioshock 1.

Resistance 3 is an excellent game that did not get its due.

FEAR 3 is a game that I bought at launch for $60 after watching Vinny and Ryan play it. It's also the first Quick Look I saw from this site and the first time I started coming here. I have finished FEAR 3 multiple times on more than one platform.

Quake 4 is a good game.

Mass Effect 1 is a bad game. It's a subpar third person shooter and a subpar RPG. Story and writing are both good and I really appreciate the scope they were going for, though. The Citadel actually feels like a really big place in ME1 and so does the world in general. Also, the Mako is fun to drive. Oh, yes, it doesn't control all that well, but it's got this really satisfying looseness to it.

id Software needs to make a RAGE 2, this time with a much better story. The skeleton of a fantastic game world is there, they just need someone to come in and give it some heart. Mechanically... I mean, come on, it's an id game, it's better than 99% of shooters out there when it comes to the shooting.

Saints Row 2 is a better game than Saints Row 3.

I can't get into the Fallout games. I should like Fallout 4 way more than I do, but I don't. I can't get into it.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258:

I thought the Metal Gear Rex fight was the best gameplay portion of that game.

I think you mean Metal Gear Ray.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@kasaioni said:

@justin258:

I thought the Metal Gear Rex fight was the best gameplay portion of that game.

I think you mean Metal Gear Ray.

That is what I meant. Going back to correct that now.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Firaxis should STOP writing dialogue and story bits in their games, or hire actual competent writers, Xcom is a turned based management game, it does not need B tier hollywood story plot that is horribly acted anyway. Completely ruined X-com 2 for me, so much so that I actually didn't want to play the DLC missions. I guess this is more a unpopular opinion than actual gaming confession.

*Like many other people in this thread I haven't played a single Zelda game either.

*I think I have done all there is to do now in Witcher 3 and I think I am legit sad about it. The ending was a bit weird, everything else is amazing, but I am sad about the fact that the adventure with these characters is over. So I am just starring at my steam library for a substitute but not really playing anything.

*As one other guy pointed out, Resident Evil 6 is alright not horrible nor amazing, but an alright dumb action game with more content value than your average shooter game.

*Every 3 years I get really into FIFA for a month.

*I play SWTOR for the story bits every now and again and don't want to interact with anyone.

*I am not sure I have liked a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid, that was until Phantom Pain which is a great game.

*My favorite Mega Man is Mega Man 4, probably because it was my first Mega Man game, so I'm aware that might affect my opinion.

*I have never played Final Fantasy 7, except from the opening which I played last year.

*Persona 3 has one of the best endings in video games.

*I have spent way too much time playing Starcraft 2 and yet I never made master league.