Gaming + Console Fanboy Wars = Give up on Gaming?

• 112 results
Xsnipd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Gaming + Console Fanboy Wars = Give up on Gaming? (296 votes)

Continue gaming and push on 79%
Gaming Sucks. It's Game Over, man. 8%
Way too deep to answer this 12%

Ok look, I love video games. I mean I really do. From playing my first gaming system, the Playstation, to gaming on the 360, I just love it. However with this E3 going on I find myself at a crossroads, should I continue gaming or not. The reason I say this is because of fanboy ism regarding the new consoles i.e the PS4 and the Xbox One. It has gotten to the pont of distastefulness that I said "Fuck gaming if there is going to ne so much hatred to the point where people are really hurting other people (trolls) just because it is funny or even putting gifs out in order to poke fun at the system and make fun of the gamers/developers that make this product." (I am referring to the Xbox one of course) It is further implied on the message boards and gaming sites like IGN, Kotaku and yet here, Giant Bomb. So the question is shoul I quit gaming because of this because I have dealt it with the PS3 hate in 06 but I dunno about generation because this one is amplified by the dawn of social media. ( Vote and explain why. Please keep it civil cause this is a big decision. #realtalk)

• 
moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By moonwalksa

Fanboy wars and back-and-forth console slams have been going on since long before you started gaming. "SEGA does what Nintendon't", and so on. Mario versus Sonic got heated, man.

It's nothing new, and personally I think this is the cleanest one yet, just because it looks like we have a clear winner for once, rather than a constant circle-jerk of arguments between people who are trying to blindly support the thing they spent their money on. Even the 360 vs PS3 era was relatively clean, considering how few exclusives there were.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Honestly,if your this upset about it you shouldn't be gaming. It seems your too fragile for this world. Microsoft is just getting called on its bullshit.thats all. If you truly loved gaming you wouldn't quit. Stop going on message boards and reading comments or I dunno,grow a backbone. A true fan of the industry wouldn't back out just because of some hurt feelings.

Xsnipd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moonwalksa: I also heard that argument back when the PS3 was launched as well so this excuse is not so justifiable as you think.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SharkEthic

You should quit gaming.

Alternatively, you could grow a pair.

#realtalk

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real talk, this is freaking dumb. Why would you stop playing games because of idiots on the internet? Makes absolutely no sense.

Xsnipd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xsnipd

@doctordanger99: Still, even though you have a passion for gaming you kinda still cringe on the fanboy wars cause they are fighting a war that doesn't make sense at all.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By damodar

Is day-to-day life inconvenient with skin made of tissue paper?

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grow a pair. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. Console wars are actually good, because it pushes companies to out-perform their competition. And ultimately leads to better purchases, for us, the consumers. Seriously though, gaming is a hobby not a way of life. Like I said, grow a pair.

Xsnipd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might as well grow a pair but I guess haters are always going to hate.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "fanboy" wars this generation are actually about something important other than who has the sweetest looking graphics\exclusives.

One is saying this is a game console as you know it, the other is saying always be connected, don't lend games to friends etc., it made itself more DRM heavy than even PC games do, and that is quite a feat.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it really isn't that hard to ignore if it does bother you is it?

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xsnipd: but it is a war that makes sense.its a war worth fighting.do some people get out of hand? Sure. But Microsoft is being incredibly anti consumer. They are single handly trying to destroy somthing that is important to millions of people. Just so they can make a few extra bucks. That Microsoft is getting burned so hard proves this. They brought this on themselves. I for one can't wait to watch them burn.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ProfessorEss

Though I agree that video game culture as a whole is far too negative I appreciate the passion people have for it :)

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By theodacourt

If this stuff could stop you gaming, then you best stay in bed until you die, because the internet will mock anything you might or could do.

Respighi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you honestly think fanboyism only exists in gaming? iOS versus Android has been a budding rivalry for years now and there are people on both sides that would rather jump off a cliff than secede from their respective platform.

I personally think this is a very exciting time for games. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo need to make a serious push with this generation of consoles as the threat of tablet and social gaming looms overhead. As mentioned previously, this ruthless war between Sony and Microsoft is nothing new; Sega and Nintendo were at each other's throats for a significant portion of the early 90's and console developers since then have been trading blows back and forth, albeit not as violently as previous generations. I find allegiance to one company over another rather silly as well but making an exit from your passion because Sony and Microsoft are trying to win your dollars is equally as silly.

Also, do you really think you'd be capable of removing games from your life entirely. I find that pretty hard to believe. If you're on this site, games have to be fairly important to you and I think going cold turkey would be very hard to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-613c903ddf820
deactivated-613c903ddf820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hidys said:

I mean it really isn't that hard to ignore if it does bother you is it?

Exactly, just ignore it. I don't even notice fanboyism anymore. Plus there are some communities that have a higher fanboyism risk so to speak. I kind of avoid gametrailers and IGN for example.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Almost every single major hobby has this problem - it is not unique to gaming and you really shouldn't let it get to you. Are people bad on the internet? Sure. But here's something you can do - not read forum threads or Youtube comments, where 99.999999% of this stuff occurs. You don't see this stuff in real life (at least most of the time). Cut back reading comments on the internet or come to the realization that most comments on the internet are written by a minority of people. The internet comment crowd is not a representative sample of the population as a whole.

Just keep on gaming and learn to ignore it. It's not that hard, here's the way to learn to ignore it:

1) An idiot on the Internet is still just an idiot - just because he or she is on the internet doesn't mean they're any worse.

2) It really doesn't matter. Most fans are, what 10? 13? Maybe 15 at most. Teenagers are gonna act like teenagers, that's just the way things are. Learn to ignore them. They'll grow up soon enough - and if they don't, well then, that's punishment enough for them.

And it's not really hatred people have towards the Xbox - its more disdain.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korolev: no I have hatred. I'm a grown ass man. I got a wallet and my own keys and everything. And I also hate Microsoft with a passion.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Willza92

Yes, let other peoples opinions define how you enjoy your spare time.

moffattron9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By moffattron9000

Idiots are always going to act like revolutionaries over dumb things. Just laugh at the idiots and enjoy the good stuff.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Step 1: Get the fuck away from video game enthusiast web sites where people are guaranteed to occasionally get fanboy-ie about something if it bothers you so much.

Step 2: Buy a game you like

Step 3: Enjoy

(repeat)

gomezar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gomezar7

Why the fuck are you here?

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gomezar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do you care? I'm genuinely wondering, because why would your enjoyment of video games be colored what some idiot on a message board says? It doesn't affect you in the least.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nights

@devilzrule27 said:

Real talk, this is freaking dumb. Why would you stop playing games because of idiots on the internet? Makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed.

Like others have said this has been going on for a long ass time. It's not exactly a new phenomenon. Sega vs Nintendo is a perfect example. Obviously the issue is exacerbated due to the internet and social media, but you can still choose to zone these type of people/discussions out. I sure as fuck do. Don't let others dictate your enjoyment, especially since this is more or less a non-issue.

Avatar image for uomoartificiale
uomoartificiale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok look, I love video games. I mean I really do. From playing my first gaming system, the Playstation, to gaming on the 360, I just love it.

Solved. Continue gaming if that's something you like. If you don't like trolls and fanboys, then I guess it naturally follows that you shouldn't read what they have to say. Seriously, don't let the internet consume you: go out and excercise (it naturallly drains frustrations), read a book (they are like the videogames of the past 3000 years), watch a movie... and then play a good game. It's great, I'm old, trust me.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mate keep going there is no point in letting them get you down at all. Trust me I felt the same way seeing the comments and trash talk on kotaku, gametrailers was painful I just chose not to participate at all. I don't feel how they do, so why should even try to reason when certain groups of people will have none of it.

In the end you like what you like, you will buy what you buy but it doesn't have to stop you enjoying other things as well.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

No offense intended @xsnipd

but that is some pretty dumb reasoning to dislike games. Or anything.

If a Neo-Nazi likes my favorite sports team does that mean I should no longer like that sports team? If my favorite restaurant happens to be patronized by KKK members should I stop going there? If an ex likes pizza should I never eat it again?

See where I'm going with this?

You can't control other people and you shouldn't let them control you. Who gives a flying flip what Message Board posters say.

Play what you like and play because you like it. If you don't like games anymore because you don't enjoy the games themselves, then don't play them. But don't quit them because some other people who happened to buy the same game are jerks or they get in fights about the game on message boards.

You might ask yourself why you continue going to message boards if the boards upset you that much. That seems to be your real problem, not the games.

You might also ask yourself why other people arguing about something that doesn't concern you at all, upsets you so much.

You're making yourself miserable for no reason duder.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By connerthekewlkid

You shouldn't really worry about it, im getting what I want this gen not what some person on a message board tells me to. Dont let people get to you so much.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I'm sorry to this be blunt and I understand your worries, but if this stuff bothers you this much then you probably won't like a lot of stuff in life. I would just ignore the Internet if it bothers you this much. I wouldn't let others stupidity and rude nature affect whether I enjoy doing something.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Most people who enjoy gaming have never read a message board in their life, it isn't compulsory you know. Maybe stop reading and go play a game/

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ShadowConqueror

"Fanboyism?" Don't be stupid. How do the opinions of other people affect your enjoyment at all?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

You just know that all the people going on message boards right now bitching about the nastiness of the current round of console wars and saying that previous console generations were never this bad, those are the same people who at age 14, during some prior console generation, were going on every message board they could find, fanning the flames.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shinjin977

What the hell is going on in Giantbomb lately? I have been here 2 years, granted I never use to go on the forum because I was still somewhat learning english but I feel like the amount of weird/way too personal/useless(?) threads are all over the place? Its like Reddit up in here.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should quit gaming. Leave this site now and never return. You aint built for this rap game.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I say stop visiting gaming forums. Honestly I'm a little tempted to stop visiting forums for awhile since I find all of the banter about which system is better/ PC roolz consoles are for babies arguments super irritating. If you find this kind of behavior bothersome you don't need to stop playing games you just need to stop going to places where this type of behavior is common. I mean how many people do you come across in real life that argue about this shit? Maybe occasionally you will hear "oh you play on 360? That's cool, I have a PS3" but nothing like the shit you see on gaming forums.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't be backin down boy, you gotta make the cut, or the cut gonna make you.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By connerthekewlkid

What the hell is going on in Giantbomb lately? I have been here 2 years, granted I never use to go on the forum because I was still somewhat learning english but I feel like the amount of weird/way too personal/useless(?) threads are all over the place? Its like Reddit up in here.

Its just like that right now because people are really touting the PS4 and are now really against the new Xbox, I hope after a few weeks we can all be a little less hostile about all of it once the E3 smoke clears.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By aspaceinvader

I've been around since the early days of gaming, with the spectrum vs Commodore 64, the 8 bit, 16 bit, and so on, it's all fun. Fanboys of every era are the same one system or the other. Don't care about it and all I care about is the games. Forget the fanboys, the hype, just stick with it and enjoy.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, its that E3 high. It dulls the senses.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@connerthekewlkid said:

@shinjin977 said:

Its just like that right now because people are really touting the PS4 and are now really against the new Xbox, I hope after a few weeks we can all be a little less hostile about all of it once the E3 smoke clears.

It's a new console year, people. You all act like this is your first rodeo.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it all comes down games ,if you see games that you like more on xboxone/ps4 then none of the other shit matters.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid said:

@shinjin977 said:

It's a new console year, people. You all act like this is your first rodeo.

Well this is the first one where I frequent forums.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By bacongames

I don't think it's unreasonable to be distressed by people's bullshit but it's a fact of this current world, however unfortuante, that with being connected comes the skill necessary to parse, interpret, understand this flood of information and people's ideas, and for you to communicate yourself effectively. When it comes to culture and things people are invested in with their time, money, and identity as it is clearly with who we deem "fanboys", then you're guaranteed to witness a gamut of behaviors, ages, experiences, and skill at being people on the internet. This is a long way to say there will be plenty of idiots on the internet and in culture at large when it comes to the things you like.

Learning this lesson now is nothing to be ashamed of, so don't let people in this thread telling you to buck up or shut up discourage you, but I do concede it is a bit of a prerequisite in this weird hobby and industry. This is especially important as gaming has for decades leaned into fandom, hype, and ever growing its prowess with marketing and PR.

And lastly, as others have pointed out, this is something that has been around for so long, it's difficult to miss gaming for as long as you have even. We live in a big world, maybe you did miss it entirely or ignored it without realizing, but it is a common thing to run across whether as part of the bullshit hype train fandom or outside of it as spectators and critics.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This shit happens every new generation. Be a man and ignore it if it bothers you. Most people trying to start console war threads are just teens trying to justify their decision. Most of the adults here are probably going to buy both consoles. There was a thread where half the posts were people buying both.

All this will die down in a week after E3 is over. You'll live; trust me.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: This is pretty much the first console reveal for me. I have been gaming for 18+ years but I never got deep into the gaming scene like I am now. In retrospect, should have stayed that way. haha

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I used to worry about it at 12-13 in the early 2000s (and generally favoring that lovable punching bag Nintendo, though by no means did I refuse to play other systems), but right now... eh.

I worry a lot more about the level of stupidity infecting political discussions on the internet. With console wars it's far more difficult to tell who is being serious, and ultimately it's easier for me to ignore.