#1 Posted by pauljeremiah (221 posts) -

Just going through a bad patch of gaming fatigue at the moment, just nothing that's currently out peaks my interest.

Does anyone have any gaming recommendations to get me over this?

#2 Posted by liquiddragon (3242 posts) -

What you need is a break. Don’t force it.

#3 Posted by pauljeremiah (221 posts) -

It's been a few weeks though, was thinking of maybe replaying a short game like Portal or one of the Half-Life 2 Episodes to help me get over it.

#4 Edited by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

Never experienced it myself, but yeah, playing something shorter might be a good idea. Ideally maybe a short game that you loved? Or maybe a game in a genre you love, whatever the lenght. There's no universal remedy probably, so it's hard to say what would else would be good. Or just extend the break, few weeks might not have been enough, I've heard people go months or years without gaming due to fatigue or other factors. Do something else, search for a totally new hobby that would be an addition to gaming or other hobbies, explore. Gaming is not the only thing in life. (I realize this sounds like a cliche but it's a genuine advice).

#5 Posted by MeierTheRed (5850 posts) -

It's been a few weeks though

You make it sound like that some horrible thing. I just had a 3 week period where i thought the everything that came out was the most boring garbage so i just didn't play anything. Got back replaying Mass Effect in three days and had fun doing that.

Sometimes it's just good to not touch anything, forcing your self to do something you're not invested in only makes it worse.

#6 Edited by nutter (1751 posts) -

I wouldn’t call it fatigue on my end, but I like to keep busy with all sorts of stuff. I have a huge gaming backlog and I’ve gotten comfortable with missing out on a lot of games to spend time focused on health, nightlife, family, volunteering around town, etc.

Everything in moderation...

It makes the time I do spend playing games all the more enjoyable.

#7 Edited by wjb (2154 posts) -

I didn't play any damn thing from the beginning of this year until mid-July. I wasn't finishing games like I used to, and I tried playing new games and backlog to keep up with the zeitgeist for years. I burned out. Now I'm so behind it's like I don't care anymore. I'm playing games I'm comfortable with, like going back to Forza Horizon 3 that I played for a couple hours two years ago.

Taking a break helps.

#8 Posted by cannedstingray (515 posts) -

I've been going through this for about a year now. I just bought a few games that were on sale recently but haven't played any of them. I am looking forward to RDR2 and hope Fallout 76 will be good, but I've barely played any games at all the past year or so.

For a while I kept buying them hoping that one would grab me like they used to. So far nothing has really kept my attention. Zelda was probably the last game to keep me wanting to play. Actually I got pretty into the most recent Deus ex also and actually played through it earlier this year. Just about an hour ago I was thinking about going back to The Last of us cause that game really engaged me.

To me it kinda feels like most games these days are so stuffed with things to keep track of and things to constantly manage that it just gets too easy to get fatigued by everything you've got to do. I end up putting the game down and when I think about picking it up again the thought of the management aspect makes me not want to, so I don't.

I'm looking for a game (I think) where I can get back to just being immersed in a world and explore without a ton of map icons, or being told to do this six times or that eight times. Or a game that just wants to take me through an engaging story.

Maybe I just need to step away from games for a few years and come back when things feel new again.

I hardly played any games from like 2000 to late 2008 when i got a 360, played Halo 3 and liked it a lot, Gears 2, liked it also, and Fallout 3 is what made me really Fall in love with games again. Maybe I just need another long break...

#9 Edited by TheHT (15761 posts) -

Why though? Why try to get over it? Just wait til something you wanna play comes around.

#10 Posted by NTM (11503 posts) -

Do you play older games that you enjoyed or are there any games from the past that you might have wanted to play but never did? I think most people go through gaming fatigue in some way, but I never really do. I might go a couple of days without playing games if work is what's on my mind or something else, but I almost always consistently have a type of video game on my mind be it something new, or a game I might want to replay. There are so many games that match my different mood at any given time that it's rare that I am feeling like nothing is satisfying me. I just replayed Portal 2. I bought it on the Xbox One X and played it in 4K. I really enjoyed it again.

Gaming fatigue for me comes when I am feeling kind of depressed or bored (both of which isn't too often), and what works for me is cleaning, or even a total rearrangement of my room so things are less cluttered and/or just new feeling. There's also the drastic change (and probably not a good, realistic solution in your case right now) which is buying new items for my setup, like a new sound system, a new TV or new furniture. You may just want to do something else as opposed to play games right now though, and thinking about games isn't the solution. Maybe there's just a lack of something else that is holding you back from being enthusiastic about gaming right now. And again, are there any games you can buy that you hadn't played in the past that might be good? We don't know what you played, so it's not easy to just suggest games.

Name some highly regarded games that you've never played for one reason or another and we'll see if we can recommend them.

#11 Posted by Wandrecanada (1008 posts) -

I can highly recommend grabbing yourself a novel and doing a read. Sometimes it's nice to have something to just sink into that's not constantly tugging at your brain like a skinner box.

I'd suggest trying out the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson if you haven't already. It's the one that Vinny has been mildly flogging for on the Beastcast for the past little while. Or Micheal J Sullivan's Riyria Revelations if you like the idea of a fantasy buddy cop story.

#12 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (406 posts) -

@pauljeremiah: 3 weeks is not a break. Especially if you are feeling this burnt out. Catch up on some TV shows, read a few books, hang out with people. Then maybe try playing something after Christmas. Step away for a few months and odds are anything you come back to will be engaging on some level.

@wandrecanada: I'll always +1 a Brandon Sanderson recommendation, though I would perhaps recommend the original Mistborn trilogy instead. Storm light Archive might be the best thing he's written, but it also feels like the culmination of everything he has worked towards so far that suggesting someone start there is very strange to me.

#13 Edited by Zurv (971 posts) -

@pauljeremiah said:

Just going through a bad patch of gaming fatigue at the moment, just nothing that's currently out peaks my interest.

Does anyone have any gaming recommendations to get me over this?

It could just be very few games, that you'd like, are out now. Don't stress it. For me, the last two years have had very few games out that i wanted to play. Even if i tried, i couldn't even make a top 10.

Last years was real bad and this year super sucks IMO.

(your steam profile is private ... so making suggestions on games you might want to take a peak at is hard. :) )

#14 Posted by HellBrendy (1299 posts) -

Donæt come to the games, let the games come to you. I never think of playig during my gaming fatigues, I just enjoy other media and after a while I'll pick up a game again.

#15 Posted by cikame (2611 posts) -

I haven't had this yet but i know that i'll always be able to go back and play my favourite games of all time, easy to complete ones like Max Payne, Half Life 2, Soldier of Fortune, MGS, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, nothing too demanding, stuff that makes me smile.
New games tend to be fairly drawn out, time consuming, i'm currently playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider and i spend a lot of time trying to suck up its various collectables, which is fine but eventually you have to play a game for... you know... fun, a good old fashioned giggle, you have any simple favourite games you'd like to revisit?

#16 Posted by DarthOrange (4211 posts) -

Congrats on the extra disposable income. Find a new hobby or something. Do you feel like you have to enjoy playing video games all the time? If so, why?

#17 Posted by EmuLeader (601 posts) -

@pauljeremiah: 3 weeks is not a break. Especially if you are feeling this burnt out. Catch up on some TV shows, read a few books, hang out with people. Then maybe try playing something after Christmas. Step away for a few months and odds are anything you come back to will be engaging on some level.

@wandrecanada: I'll always +1 a Brandon Sanderson recommendation, though I would perhaps recommend the original Mistborn trilogy instead. Storm light Archive might be the best thing he's written, but it also feels like the culmination of everything he has worked towards so far that suggesting someone start there is very strange to me.

+1 again here. If you are into Epic Fantasy, the Stormlight Archive series has been fantastic so far.

#18 Posted by ghost_cat (2228 posts) -

Good, games are bad for you. Burn your games and build yourself a rally car instead.

#19 Posted by BoboBones (227 posts) -

@creepingdeath0 said:

+1 again here. If you are into Epic Fantasy, the Stormlight Archive series has been fantastic so far.

I haven't it finished yet, but I also recommend it. Especially in audio book format. It's an exceptional reading.

The humor falls painfully flat for me, but I enjoy the being in the world.

#20 Posted by clagnaught (2085 posts) -

As I’ve gotten older, I switch between a handful of different things. Playing console games, PC games, watching anime, reading a book, focusing on work stuff, going for long walks, watching movies, etc. I don’t have time in the day to do everything, and I don’t always feel like watching TV or reading or playing videogames. It’s alright to focus on your B tier hobby or something else entirely. If you want to play more games, then play something different. If you play a lot of open world games, play a more linear one. If you play JRPGs, play a first person shooter. Try playing a game in a genre you barely touch. Something to spice things up. If that doesn’t do, then maybe consider taking a break again and come back a few weeks or a month later.

Avatar image for lokihellfire2008
#21 Posted by lokihellfire2008 (157 posts) -

@clagnaught: Research and Join an RP server in GTA Online. Yes they are a thing. You can basically do everything in GTA, and the server mods people have running are quite extensive and add a lot of cool things. Also the Roleplaying elements are taken quite seriously. I was in one the other day and the van I was hauling medicinal marijuana in broke down on the highway and I had to call a tow truck. The tow service (which is actually any player who owns a towtruck in game) gets your request and can choose to respond or not. Apparently no one was "on duty" at the moment, but I managed to tweet in-game and one of the drivers said she would pick me up "for a fee". Once she discovered I was hauling weed, which while legal in the game, I was not licensed to do from the RP cops, she decided to blackmail me into being the getaway driver on a heist she was planning.

TLDR - with the insane amounts of customization and modding available out there, you can find new and novel experiences in games you already own that might break your rut.

#22 Posted by MerxWorx01 (789 posts) -

@meierthered: sort of the same, didn't play anything in August and beginning of September.

Losing the verve to play just meant I had time to take care of more household stuff and cooking more and doing anything else. For a short time I also slowed my gaming purchases but it helped that there was much I was interested in.

#23 Posted by csl316 (14909 posts) -

It's not uncommon for me to take a month break. If you wanna play something but aren't sure what, just pop in one of your favorite games for a bit.

But don't feel bad if you don't want to play anything. Just go do something else for awhile. You'll be back eventually, refreshed and ready to go.

#24 Posted by MeierTheRed (5850 posts) -

@meierthered: sort of the same, didn't play anything in August and beginning of September.

Losing the verve to play just meant I had time to take care of more household stuff and cooking more and doing anything else. For a short time I also slowed my gaming purchases but it helped that there was much I was interested in.

It's a positive, distributing your time differently and saving some money is always a good bonus.

#25 Posted by Nals (153 posts) -

The thing that's always helped me is going back to the classics. The games that really "got" me into gaming. So in my case it's Deus Ex og, Morrowind, Baldurs Gate 2, or AoE2. Playing any of those is usually enough to reignite my love of gaming and get me playing again.

#26 Posted by Justin258 (15512 posts) -

Do something else with your time.

#27 Posted by Coleslaw893 (459 posts) -

I haven't played anything since finishing Spider-Man. It renewed my interests in comic books after losing interest for about two years and I've been really enjoying getting back into them. For the past few years or so I've needed to take breaks from gaming for about a week or two every few months.

I would say don't force yourself into it. Keep spending time doing other things you enjoy. Your interest in gaming will more than likely come back again soon.

#28 Posted by Shindig (4796 posts) -

Yeah, just take some time out until you naturally feel like playing something. My breaks are minimal thanks to reviewing but I still take them. Makes me treasure the occasional slow weeks.

#29 Posted by Inresurrection (461 posts) -

Haha, "a few weeks." I go through months in a row where actually playing games feels like the most boring thing in the world to me, but I still really enjoy Giant Bomb's content / gaming podcasts, articles, etc. I don't think it's a super rare thing.

#30 Posted by ajamafalous (13805 posts) -

I can't imagine feeling like you 'need' to play a game (or games in general).

If you don't want to play anything then don't play anything. Do something else that you actually want to do.

#32 Posted by The_Greg (529 posts) -

What you need is a break. Don’t force it.

This, 100%. Gaming isn't a necessity, just leave it alone for a bit.

I've taken the last few months off, aside from the odd 30 mins here and there. Now there are a few games upcoming, and I'm feeling a bit of a buzz again.

#33 Posted by pauljeremiah (221 posts) -

@danielpacheco: Currently play AC Odyssey, it's okay so far, feels like a tribute act to The Witcher 3

#34 Posted by MrGreenMan (161 posts) -

At this point I've been burnt out on games it takes me so much longer to finish anything these days. Also lack of time doesn't help, but that is whole other issue. I just buy games when I want to play them and don't have more than a few games until I feel like i played enough or finished them. Most games I'm about a year or 2 behind in playing. Last time I really was burnt out on games I didn't play anything for a good 6 or so years.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
#35 Posted by The_Last_Starfighter (506 posts) -

Gaming fatigue is usually a good thing. When I got bored of staring at a screen a few years ago I ended up buying a rad road bike and got into cycling, then I got into rock climbing and sailing and started travelling a lot too. Gaming's great but it shouldn't be the "be all end all", there's lots to learn and explore in the real world too, get out there!

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#36 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1205 posts) -

@the_last_starfighter: Here I was gonna suggest the OP pick up a book or something, but sure, make me sound like a boring dude, why don't you? :-)

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
#37 Posted by shivermetimbers (1664 posts) -

Since a lot of games these days require a lifetime investment only to give you back little to no emotional reward at the end of it all, I can see the OP getting fatigued. I don't have an answer, but maybe save up money to go on a trip or something. Do something else, replay an old game, and when you come back you'd find a game to enjoy.

#38 Posted by SonofSeth (123 posts) -

Not fatigued, I just became a total snob when it comes to games. Only the highest quality and budget for me now, no half measures. RDR2 is the first on the list for this year.

#39 Posted by pauljeremiah (221 posts) -

@bladeofcreation: I usually do read books or listen to an audiobook when walking, when I get fatigued with one of my hobbies, so currently reading Jim Ross's autobiography, pretty good so far.

#40 Posted by berfunkle (155 posts) -

When I get gaming fatigue, I like to do a lot of physical labor. Gardening, mowing the lawn, fixing up the house, that sort of thing.

#41 Posted by pauljeremiah (221 posts) -

@berfunkle: I am the same, I have a large lawn that usually takes 2-3 hours to cut so I listen to podcasts or audiobooks when cutting the grass or when tending to my flowers.

#42 Posted by Mamba219 (266 posts) -

Total War Warhammer II has a new vampire pirate DLC coming out. I'm kind of in the same boat as far as general fatigue goes, but that announcement has me pumped.