jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By jrodrz

Hey everyone,

I'm not always up for writing a blog entry. In fact, I've never had a blog other than the one in this site, and reading back on those entries, I can't consider them as meaningful contributions in any sense. So I guess this entry will be my first tru entry.

Recently, I've been thinking about the role gaming has had in my life. I remember playing my first games when I was about five years old. I started playing with my cousin on his SNES, and then I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas that year, which was my official introduction to the gaming world. As far as I can remember, I've always been a completionist: I've always been obsessed to complete every game I have to 100%, or at least as close as I can get to that. So I would not quit a game and move on to the next one unless I played every little thing that game had to offer. It's always been that way.

I've played on the consoles which, at the moment, I thought were right for me. After the Sega Genesis, I got a Nintendo 64 when I was seven. I sticked with Nintendo through the N64 and the Gamecube, until I turned 15 years old. Throughout that time, I remember not being able to afford my hobby, so I would rely on my parents to buy me games, and if I got lucky, I would get a new game every 3-4 months, whichs means 3-4 games a year. That means I had the time to play every game I had to the 100% completion rate, and get every cent's worth of that game. I remember one time when I convinced my dad to buy me one extra game, Medal of Honor European Assault, alleging that, since it had actual footage of WWII, the game had some educational value (XD). But I would value every game I had, since they came only one every few months at a time.

Then, I moved to Xbox 360, considering that Wii could not provide the quality or genre of games I was looking for. I have sticked with Microsoft all the way since then. It may not have been the best decision, mostly because there are a lot more and better exclusives for PlayStation, but still, I have remained loyal to the brand. Now I'm 24 years old, and things have changed a lot. Now that I have the chance to work a part-time job, I have my own income, which means I can buy games more often, specially now that a lot of 360 games are sold at low discount prices. I have managed to buy every game that even mildly interests me, convinced that I would always find the time to play every single one of them. Problem of being a completionist is, I take a LONG time beating a game before I put it down and move on to the next. And certainly, I didn't count on having so much reduced time to play games. Which means, a lot of games are sitting brand new in my shelf, collecting dust until I can find the time to invest in them.

I'm now on the verge of finishing my degree, and starting my masters. I'm also looking for a full-time job, and I also make time to keep up with family, friends and girlfriend. Which means that gaming is having less and less time in my life as I get more and more responsibilities. It's the normal course of life: the roles you gain later in life make you assume certain duties and responsibilities, which require sacrifice, and in my case, part of that sacrifice is to game less, which is sad. Gaming has been an important part of my life since I can remember. Growing up, I had a lot of problems in my house, and in school, and gaming was kind of a therapy to escape those problems. And of course, it was one of the best forms of entertainment I had, besides from sports. I love the way a game can transport me to another world, tell me a story, or just set me a goal to achieve and provide a challenge. Yet, I'm starting to fear that this is a hobby that will gradually exit my life until I can no longer enjoy it. Of course, I might be able to squeeze in a few hours a week, but maybe not enough to get the full experience I've always wanted to get out of every game.

I don't know, maybe I'm just whining about an issue that's not really an issue at all. Maybe it's all just a part of life, and I'm just dweliing on the nostalgia.

What about you guys? Is this an issue you're having or you've had at the moment? Let me know, I'm interested in knowing other people's opinions and perspectives.

Cheers!

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds like you're just getting to that age where the "magic" wears off on you. I had that in my early 20's. Went off gaming for maybe 6/7 years after the PS1 era around 2002/03. Came back in 2009 and now finding there's little new that interests me so I'm going off it again.

Does it bother you though? I enjoyed my time away from it.

Erkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the same boat as you mate, I found my gaming hours significantly reduced after uni. But instead of giving up on gaming entirely I changed my gaming habits to accommodate work/family/friends. I found myself playing more short-round games like Nuclear Throne and Rocket League rather than long story driven games such as Witcher 3. Those short games are perfect for 10-15 minute bursts here and there without interrupting my busy schedule. However I'm also lucky that my girlfriend enjoys video games as well, so on some weekends when we can't be bothered going out we'll just play some couch co-op games together.

I say if videos games have been such a significant part of growing up don't give up on it completely. They will continue to entertain and enlighten even as you grow older. Maybe choose different types of games that will fit with your schedule, or perhaps introduce those around you to the experiences video games can bring so you can enjoy them together as a mean of spending time together.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Perfectly normal around 24, I think I was much the same at that age, you got a lot going on. Mind you, you'll either move on, or like me, come back hard later :) The door is always open to return.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've started to notice that games are definitely not having the same impact on me as they did even a few years back. I'm very rarely super excited by anything these days and most things I play seem to feel eerily familiar. I'm not really seeing the magic as much anymore. It's sucks when I'm playing something and all I can see are the systems instead of the grand experience. I've been an avid gamer for years and have dedicated a large portion of my life to this hobby which is maybe starting to take it's toll on me. I can only admire Jeff for still getting this excited about certain games when he has been neck deep in them for a large part of his life. When he gets really hyped for Forza Horizon all I see is another driving game with the same plastic fences and concrete trees. About 5 years ago I would get really excited by E3 and all those trailers. These days it's hard to get excited, especially when I know better after I've been rather disappointed time and time again by the final product.

Worse yet I find that it's hard for me to even start playing games that I do want to play. I'll sit in front of my PC and refresh the same few websites for hours on end instead of launching that Deux Ex or popping in that PS4 disc. Every once in an increasingly long while I'll come across a game that will completely pull me in, but that has become a rarity. I guess in a way it's something to look forward to now, that one special game to come along, too bad the time between these "magical" games has been getting longer and longer.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I've had times where I didn't touch a game for 4 months straight and times where I was playing Destiny 8 hours a day at minimum. Things never change forever, it goes back and forth. There never is a problem when you game less because you want to do something else instead. Whether that be a different hobby, your job, things with friends or something else entirely. If gaming is part of your life, you'll discover that you'll get drawn back into it later, even if it's only for a little bit.

And all of that is fine. The goal is never to play games 12 hours a day from now until the end of time is it?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

When I was in college, I almost never touched video games. It's normal. Video games can take a smaller place in your life now, and they'll still be there later when and if you want them to be. Even if they've lost some of their appeal at this time in your life, down the line you might have a kid or two and find a whole new reason to play and appreciate video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, as a kid and teenager I could be playing games for 11 hours without stop, take a short break and then continue through the night and next morning.
Now I feel accomplished if I even manage to play any game more than an hour at a time, and I'm only in my mid 20's like you.

Different priorities I guess.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That is how it is to become an adult. I'm 30. The last game I marathoned was Mass Effect 3. After that is is when I met my girlfriend, now wife and since then I can't just stay and play non stop. Even more so since we got a baby. But it is not just a lack of time but also of games. Not that I don't have enough games because I have more than enough but there aren't many that can hold my interest enough to finish them. I am not waiting for Persona 5 and Mass Effect Andromeda. There hasn't been much that has held my interest as it used to. I didn't like Inquisition as much as Dragon Age Origins or even DA2. My best memories of games are usually story driven RPGs but even if I buy dozens of them I can't seem to find any that makes an impact like Final Fantasy 7-10 did or later Persona 3 and 4. I don't know if it is todays games or me but the best time I've had with a game in the last 3 years was with Final Fantasy X HD which was just a prettier version of FFX. For Americans there was some new stuff but for me I already played the EU version which had everything they added in the International version so there was nothing except prettier graphics and trophies. It happens to be the only game I have platinumed on PS3.

I have no interest in Final Fantasy 15 as I didn't like any of the FF games since FF10. I'm still playing when I get the chance but its been awhile since I fel emotionally invested in a game. I hope Persona 5 can make me feel like I did when I played P3 and P4 and that Andromeda can bring back the feelings of playing Mass Effect for the first time.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really agree with the notion others say that things have to happen in any specific way because you're an adult. Being an adult comes with responsibilites, sure, but they also come with the ability to do what you want with your time because you're your own boss. I'm 33 and married and I probably play just as much now as I did when I was a kid. Well, actually, in some way I probably play more now since I have disposable income to waste on more games than when I was a kid. It's all about priorities and I'm not saying people that prioritize away games are doing something wrong, I just don't really understand the melancholy of doing it since it's not forced upon you. And if it is, you're doing something wrong.

But, that being said, I definitely have had times when I have looked at how much time (and money) I spend on games and ponder if I should reconsider and do something more constructive and less costly. And maybe there comes a time when that happens. And if it does, so be it. But for right now, I'm pretty happy with where I am at with games as far as the practical side go. Even if the games themselves sometimes feel a little predictable and there aren't as many games as I feel there used to be that surpass my expectations. The Witcher 3 was probably the last one I can recall that was as good if not better than I expected it to be. But most other games land somewhere between almost as good or slightly worse.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@pezen said:

I don't really agree with the notion others say that things have to happen in any specific way because you're an adult. Being an adult comes with responsibilites, sure, but they also come with the ability to do what you want with your time because you're your own boss. I'm 33 and married and I probably play just as much now as I did when I was a kid. Well, actually, in some way I probably play more now since I have disposable income to waste on more games than when I was a kid. It's all about priorities and I'm not saying people that prioritize away games are doing something wrong, I just don't really understand the melancholy of doing it since it's not forced upon you. And if it is, you're doing something wrong.

But, that being said, I definitely have had times when I have looked at how much time (and money) I spend on games and ponder if I should reconsider and do something more constructive and less costly. And maybe there comes a time when that happens. And if it does, so be it. But for right now, I'm pretty happy with where I am at with games as far as the practical side go. Even if the games themselves sometimes feel a little predictable and there aren't as many games as I feel there used to be that surpass my expectations. The Witcher 3 was probably the last one I can recall that was as good if not better than I expected it to be. But most other games land somewhere between almost as good or slightly worse.

This really. You can still meet the needs of your roles at your job and at home and still game. This notion that putting away games is the "adult" thing to do is just silly. At the end of the day if they still make you happy there isn't anything wrong with trying to find the times where you can get some "you" time and just chill out with a game.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

26, with 2 jobs, university, a wedding in < 3 weeks, and a cross country move in about 5 weeks.

Right now, and for the last ~3 months I've played games less than ever. Pretty much the only day I get to are Saturdays because that's the one day fiancé and I have off together (though I work my second job in the mornings). Luckily, our way of hanging out is playing games and talking about them and really just talking with each other.

Anyway, all the crazy things that are happening in my life right now will pay off in a few months and I'll have more free time. Right now, it's intimidating because I have so little free time I don't know what game to commit to. But I've just been having fun and playing on a whim rather than letting my back log get to me.

To sum up, yeah I have like no time right now but I am looking forward to getting back into it.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrodrz: The older I get, the less games I play, but thats because my taste have changed. I remember with the PS3/360 era, There were 10-15 games a year I was excited for. Since the beginning of 2015( I only have a PS4 now), I have played approx 7 games...

However, that number will go up to 10-11 by December with Mafia 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Dishonored 2, but it may take me months to finish those. It just seems like there are not very many games that interest me as much anymore

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By extintor

There are plenty of things to do with a life and playing games is only one option. The great thing about games is that you can always play a game later, or in stages if big chunks of time aren't available.

With experience and age, money comes - which means there will be a point on the supply/demand curve of your life where your time becomes far and away the most important resource, and money much less so. I have found that as I've moved through my 30s, I pay FAR more attention to reviews, I've stopped pre-ordering, and I've let go completely of the notion that I need to play a game at release.

You let go of these things and pick and choose your experiences accordingly, you can still get a huge amount out of playing games with less time. You'll also experience less bad games... which in my experience are the ones that sour you on gaming generally.

But at the end of the day, variety by itself doesn't harm things, but cutting things out that you enjoy entirely can harm things... or relationships at least. If you find yourself feeling as if too many demands on your time are being imposed upon you by those around you, negotiate and compromise.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Drekly

I still love games with a passion, but as a 27 year old with a full time job and wife, I get maybe an hour or two a week at most. Overwatch is such a good stress relief.

I visit GB daily and love learning about new games. You just have to adjust.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrodrz: I feel your pain man. I spend more time watching other people playing then playing myself. I still love gaming with every fiber of my being but I just don't have the time at this moment in my life.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Life needs to be a balance, and the older you get teh more balls 'you' are expected to keep in the air. Shifting focus is never a bad thing when what you will do with that time matters. One thing I cut out of my life is non-appointment TV - I don't turn on my TV anymore to just watch what's on. I took a look at my life and said, what needs to be in it and what doesn't, I still binge watch a show, but I feel much more comfortable with that being the ONLY TV I watch.

MaC122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always wondered if the guys at GiantBomb also feel this way but cant say anything about it because its their job. I always felt like Jeff really doesn't like doing this job anymore and he seems kind of blah when it comes to new games. Everyone else on the staff seems like they are waiting for the right moment to make a career change. This is all in my head and I don't really know if they truly feel this way or not. Maybe its because I am also moving away from games in my own life, who knows. I still enjoy watching the videos on the site and listening to the podcasts, though.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Worse yet I find that it's hard for me to even start playing games that I do want to play. I'll sit in front of my PC and refresh the same few websites for hours on end instead of launching that Deux Ex or popping in that PS4 disc. Every once in an increasingly long while I'll come across a game that will completely pull me in, but that has become a rarity. I guess in a way it's something to look forward to now, that one special game to come along, too bad the time between these "magical" games has been getting longer and longer.

I also do this, drives me mental to think about.

As for the OP, it happens for sure. I'm playing a tonne of WoW again now thanks to the expansion pack but outside of that there's very little that's exciting me for gaming in the near future.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...so I'm not the only one who has been feeling this way.

Loading Video...

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm lucky enough to have a wife that is also in the industry so we play games together with a group of friends a few times a week. A far cry from the days when I was single and would sit and play Skyrim for hours after work, but I'm glad I have people I can still share my hobby with.

As with most people getting older I can't justify those long RPG experiences, but find games with a shorter loop much more enticing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jesus_phish: it's like the quintessential definition of a first world problem but man it's tough to just click that icon sometimes..

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of it is just a matter of being okay with not being attached to things you used to love filling your time with. "Oh, you're becoming an adult, priorities change" is such an easy way of explaining it away. Why force yourself to continue to do something you don't enjoy doing as often as you used to? If anything, spending time away from games allows me to enjoy my time with them a lot more. I don't do it consciously, I just go with the flow. I play when I feel like it.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m 33, at this point in my life months and months go by where I don’t touch a video game, then something will come along and I can’t be pulled away from my PC for a few weeks. I think you enter a phase where gaming shifts from a way of life to just a hobby you touch base with when a game that is definitely your jam comes along.

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ravey

I think it's harder for people who are drawn to stories, because it's hard to have an intense non-violent conflict in a short game. The short form stories that traditionally work well in gaming are usually based around violence, with strong ties to something from the real world - war games, horror games, etc...

If you don't have the time to play games, that doesn't mean you should cut them out of your life entirely. Consider which games help you unwind, which get the urge to play out of your system, and which you can bring something to or take something away from into the real world. Look for games that inspire a sense of drama or urgency. Try to parlay your love of gaming into other areas of interest. Find other ways to engage with your hobby (it's actually nice to be aware of the technical aspects of games since game design ties into pretty much everything there is to learn about). Do whatever makes you happy. Just don't do something because it's what you do.

Of course, I'm projecting many of my own experiences with gaming. Not everything will make sense or be applicable to your situation.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mac122: my headcanon is more that Jeff has been feeling what I've recently started feeling to where he just doesn't get surprised, thought he gets surprised by certain game industry moves and does occasionally enjoy a short burst of something. i'm probably totally projecting

Like a lot of people in this thread, I enjoy shorter experiences more, but also feel like since we are not a sizable market and way harder to please, designers don't target us anymore.

@ravey: I feel big gaming has not evolved too much in it's storytelling and lost it's older audience. But I think someone will capitalize on that eventually since we are adults with disposable income and play lots of scenarios in our head day to day which I think could work in a game environment.

Even tho my gaming time has been reduced, I like how absurd the discussions on the media have become as it tries to meet quota. But also I love fanart and wikis even for games I haven't played, also content with people I enjoy watching like GB. And while at work video game soundtracks still help me a lot to focus or motivate me.

@jrodrz: to you specifically I would say that you have a lot on your plate. I've not touched games and media in general during those times, but I think if nothing else, games have taught us to brave adversity.

ryleknuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went hard thru my twenties and into my thirties. All the systems. Played basically everything I could get my hands on. I'm 37 now and still dabble with some indie stuff but, I mostly stay connected thru this site and a few others. I still consider it a hobby but, I'm definitely not a "gamer" any more. I'm considering building a gaming pc and maybe jumping back in but, have been for a while and still haven't made the plunge.

Looking back, not sure why I walked away. Maybe just needed a change? Video game coverage has filled the void and satisfies the itch mostly.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, when my ex and I were still living together I got to the point where I was playing maybe 1 or 2 hours a week playing a game. Life just got busy, even after we split I still don't play alot of games. Just don't have the time to invest in a long game. I end up playing Forza or Counterstrike for an hour or 2 and then I am good.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has happened to me twice. Once from my late teens to about 20, I still sorta played games (I made time for OOT) for example but I had other things going on then I came back. Then the second time it was work/family when that became a thing for me, again I still played games but it was few and far between and it was only a few games a year for about 4 years. However I always seem to come back pretty hard.

6 years ago I got back in, Its due to a range of factors, but probably the biggest one is that my socializing has gone way down, because most of my friends either have kids or also work a lot like me now so I'm not going out 3 or 4 nights a week. While people sometimes bitch about their friends dropping off the face of the earth after having kids my friends having kids has increased my local multiplayer gaming because instead of going out to bars restaurants etc, which involves more than a little difficulty with kids, we hang out at each others homes, which means, for us, having a few drinks and playing games.

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ravey

@an_ancient: Yeah, it'll happen. I don't know if enough people are disgruntled about the violent and anti-social nature of almost all traditional online games though. The playfulness we're seeing in a lot of games now is a step in that direction, but there are still plenty of problems in that area.

As of right now, the games that are satisfying the need for conflict, drama, urgency, exploration and success are mostly multiplayer; whereas singleplayer is mainly appreciated by beginners and people who are attached to gaming as an isolated experience / potential art form.

And as always, the industry needs more people working on, thinking about and discussing the nature of play and storytelling with regard to games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I sometimes wonder if games are taking up too much of my time, but honestly, it's something that has been with me since I was born, and now that I'm 26, I can't imagine ever wanting to give it up in any big way. Sure, life can get in the way sometimes, but games are just something that's a part of who I am if you will, and is something that I share the interest and memories with, with siblings and friends. That said, I don't buy every single game, I buy only the games that interests me, and I don't always 100 percent them (for instance, trophies/achievements). I do want to experience everything a game has to offer if it has my attention, so The Witcher 3 took me near 300 hours in all (longest game I've ever played), but I still and will always leave room for other things. The only thing that'll make me stop playing is video games itself, be it something that goes into a direction that I dislike, and/or becomes too costly.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Have less time to game because of my full-time job and come home with no energy to put any focus into a game. Even on weekends. Makes me real sad.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes a game grabs me and I spend a lot of time on it. But I play fewer and fewer games. They're no longer giving me what I want from games.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By CJduke

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I'm 26 and work a job that with driving is usually 9 and a half hours of my day. I sometimes find myself too tired to focus on a game. I also have this really sad problem of really liking a game (like dark souls 3) getting 20 hours into it and then getting busy so I don't play for 3 or 4 days, and when I have time to play again I just don't feel like turning the game on. And then I never turn it on again even though I loved the game. It kinda sucks but there's multiple ways I look at it/handle the "problem"

1. I don't have to finish a game to have gotten my money's worth. If a game is 100 hours and I spent 40 hours that I enjoyed with it, I feel like it was worth my time and money even if I was nowhere near done with it.

2. I play shorter games, like Abzu. Abzu is fantastic.

3. I take my time with the longer games. I took me 5 months to finish the Witcher 3 proper. 3 weeks to finish the first DLC and currently I'm only half way through the second DLC. I loved the game enough to where I kept playing it even if it was only for an hour a night.

4. If I don't feel like turning on a game its fine, I might just be done playing that game. I go do another hobby or move onto another game. Generally, this helps me find the games I actually am enjoying a lot quicker because I feel like playing them even when I am tired.

5. I've been reading more books. Reading is fun too!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i didn't play any games from 17/18 to 21, and now i'm more into games than i ever was. hobbies come and go, it's totally natural

good luck with your masters!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as these posts make me a little sad, gaming remains in my life, largely due to the absence of other stuff. No interest in anything on TV, same goes for movies, and i'm not much for the "bar scene" so gaming (and other associated nerdy pursuits) fill the time not spent working.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the last few years my jobs have required me to stare at computer screens more then previous jobs. When I get home I need to move around and not concentrate on something. I'll put a background show at home (a by the book show that I don't have to watch to follow) and cruise the net or do something physical. Gaming has come and gone several times for me but gaming culture has stayed a part of my life.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@humanity: fwiw I have the exact same problem re:distraction and it's only gotten worse as I've aged.

I think for me personally it originates from a variety of places

-having games since the NES, I've just seen a lot over the years. hard to be enraptured when you've seen most of it before a dozen times. Makes it easy to see a few hours and say that's neat and move on.

-like the op I'm a completionist and I tend to disconnect from a game if I take too much time away from it. So to do what I want to do requires blocks of uninterrupted time. A rarity to be sure.

- I've irl responsibilities like most of us here that demand a lot of my time.

- the ease of acquiring a massive backlog in the digital age. I've always found it easier to play a recent acquisition regardless of said age of game then something I've had sitting around for awhile. The sheer size of these things can be paralyzing and overwhelming

Here is what ultimately works for me. Ymmv

-Playing games in a console setting. I.e in front of my tv. If I'm in front of the computer, most nights there is just too much distraction. Steam link has been a godsend in this regard .

-cut out tv/ Netflix out of my free time. Most ppl likely aren't willing to do this, but I figured I only have time for one or other. I find tv a lot more boring these days than games so easy choice for me. Tv was a huge time suck, quitting that altogether gave me a good chunk of time to game. If I want to see a sporting event I'll go to a bar or a friends.

-schedule time for myself to game and pick titles that work with the time I have available. I try to get as many errands/chores done in 3-4 days of the week so I have a couple days a week where I can switch off.

- give away or sell titles I know I'll never touch to reduce the paralysis by an analysis backlog

- have games I play socially that keep me engaged (rocket league, overwatch, DOTA 2) with the hobby when I can't go full world RPG it up.

- reducing visual clutter of unplayed games in my gaming space. I'll hide most of my steam library that I'm not currently using. When playing physical I only let the current titles back box be in view

I'm not always successful, but doing these things definitely helps me.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've recently lost a lot of interest in playing games. Over the last month I only played around 4 times and most of those times I've had no desire to keep going. I don't really know what it is, I lost interest. I tried going back to Tomb Raider and DOOM and Dark Souls 3 but they feel like a chore to play, I don't really care about the story and a lot of the time the gameplay is just leaving me bored. It started with Overwatch where I was playing competitively with a group and just completely burnt out. I realised I don't need to be the best at the game and I'm kind of not having fun a lot of the time when there are bad match ups or I have to play a hero I don't feel like playing.

Maybe this is just a temporary feeling, but I'm okay only playing 1 or 2 really good games a year at the moment.

BFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's simply a matter of evolving as you get older. I enjoy gaming a great deal still even at 32. The difference? I'm married with a 15 month old.(currentlly in a climbing phase)

What's great is any limited time I have for gaming I only play exclusively what I want. If it sucks or doesn't hold my interest, I move on. So far this year I've played DOOM (which was great) and I'm currently working my way through the witness with my wife at night (also great)

For me MP gaming is dead, it's just not realisitic anymore. That's what I love about gaming, there really is something for everyone.

My advice? Don't give up, just adjust. Play what you love. Not enjoying yourself? Dump it. Your an adult now, consider it a bad investment and move on. Don't cater to the completionist inside of you!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever makes you happy I don't enjoy games as much as I use to I think this generation has been shit for the most part to many HD remakes and worthless DLC. Not enough new IP's and underpowered consoles holding the industry back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is THE truest advice any adult games enthusiast can get. 100% super legit right here.

@bfz said:

It's simply a matter of evolving as you get older. I enjoy gaming a great deal still even at 32. The difference? I'm married with a 15 month old.(currentlly in a climbing phase)

What's great is any limited time I have for gaming I only play exclusively what I want. If it sucks or doesn't hold my interest, I move on. So far this year I've played DOOM (which was great) and I'm currently working my way through the witness with my wife at night (also great)

For me MP gaming is dead, it's just not realisitic anymore. That's what I love about gaming, there really is something for everyone.

My advice? Don't give up, just adjust. Play what you love. Not enjoying yourself? Dump it. Your an adult now, consider it a bad investment and move on. Don't cater to the completionist inside of you!

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 23, just started a Masters degree and have a part-time job (will prob quit soon though) but I find I'm playing games as much as ever. =

I've always gone through phases where I play a lot for awhile and then I switch the focus to something else in my free time (usually books or TV series) and barely play anything for weeks/months.
I'm not a completionist but I do quite a lot of side content and never rush through games. I'm a big fan of RPGs so it's pretty common the majority of my 'disposible' free time will go to one game for a few weeks, most recently it was Dark Souls 2 (first Souls game I've beaten!) at over 80 hours playtime and I intend to tackle the DLC areas in the next week.

I almost fell into the trap of buying wayyy too many games when I got a job too. I think that might be part of your 'problem', it can feel kinda overwhelming and make it harder to commit to a game. Now I keep a wishlist & whenever a system has more then 20 games on the list I remove the ones I want to play the least - you really can't play everything. I'm also only buying games if I know I'll play them straight away or if they're on a great sale. Since I started doing this I really feel like I'm playing more.

It's true you get less free time as you get older & you have to alter your habits accordingly. Sounds like you've just prioritized other things over games, which is totally fine unless you're unhappy with your life-balance because of it. But it's certainly not inevitable that gaming will leave your life if you don't want it to.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:

I realised I don't need to be the best at the game and I'm kind of not having fun a lot of the time when there are bad match ups or I have to play a hero I don't feel like playing.

@bfz said:

Yeah that feeling in team multiplayer is why I personally find MOBAs baffling. However I would suggest giving something like DS3 or Rocket League 1v1 a try. Rocket League 1v1 especially is something I've had the most fun with. Matchmaking is still surprisingly good.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By selbie

I'm at the point where I watch and read more about games than actually play them (30+ here). The important thing is to prioritize the games that really pull you in and discard everything else.

You never know, things might come around full circle and you will be in a situation (hopefully a good one) that allows you to enjoy marathon gaming sessions again :P

Avatar image for deactivated-62001d97f34e0
deactivated-62001d97f34e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sadly im with you, i know how you feel im 25 right now looking forward to finishing up school next year (wrapping up both my Associates and Bachelors degree in CRJ), while working a full time overnight job, while signing up for a mma gym a few weeks back trying to get a class or 2 a week until i build up my conditioning. Its hard man i still keep up with gaming news, love GiantBomb more than ever, but as for the actual gaming, sitting down with a controller in my hand, its hard man, i have a ton of games coming out and backlogged, but man i just dont have the time. It fucking sucks i want to play but i just cant, and like people are saying it might be a phase, you got a bunch of shit going on right now and you need to deal with that before gaming, but man it does suck.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My life's manta is that the same shit gets bring after a while. Binge gaming at 26 isn't as fulfilling as it was when I was 6 or 16. ...unless I fall into a K-hole with Fallout 4. Granted that I still like games since the channels I watch the most on YouTube are gaming and tech related, I'm still willing to drop hundreds on maintaining a upgrading my PC for modern games and will continue to do so for years and maybe decades to come, I can't see myself ever leaving GiantBomb and playing a game is my go-to thing to do when I have nothing better to do for a few hours. But, games for me are nothing more than just a fun way to kill time as a substitute for TV shows and movies these days.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Nardak

I kinda dont understand how this growing up should just apply to playing video games. People enjoy a lot of activities which can be classified as the recreational kind. Gaming is just one type of how people spend their free time which is generally down to people having more free time than they had in the past. Some people continue gaming through their 20´s and well into their 40´s, 50´s and so on.

One just usually doesn´t have as much time to dedicate to playing games as an adult as one used to have when you were younger. So peoples gaming tastes kinda change or at least they start playing games differently than they used to. For example I dont really have patience anymore for really hard rogue like games or the ability to play platformers as well i used to. When i was younger I could dedicate hours to trying to get past a difficult spot but now I just rather pass those kinds of games.

There is nothing wrong if you find at some point that gaming isnt for you anymore but you kinda also have to remember that most sports are also forms of entertainment. So for example continuing watching football isnt really a sign that you are becoming more adult it just means that instead of playing video games ( a younger form of entertainment) you are watching and enjoying a form of entertainment that is older than gaming but you are still watching basically an activity (football in this case) that is also a game. Football as an activity just happens to be played out in real life instead of in the form of 1´s and 0´s.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of lost interest in my 20"s. But once I had to give up bus stop tramps & barstool floozies. I got right back into gaming ( I still miss the bimbo's though)

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It really depends on what you want to do with your time. As a 25 year old, I still would have plenty of time to 100% The Witcher if that's all I spent my free time doing. But I also want to watch a movie or a TV show or read a book or take a walk with my girlfriend sometimes, instead. It doesn't mean I don't play games at all anymore, I just play them at a slower pace or don't 100% them.

In some ways, it's a blessing. It means that I don't bother with the parts of games that are a waste of time anymore just to get 100%. There's nothing wrong with your interests changing at all, the important thing is to do something that you enjoy with your free time.