Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#101  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

Oddly enough most of my "video game tear up" moments come from DS games. I got some dust in my eye during the Christmas chapter of Elite Beat Agents and when I finished Trial and Tribulations my eyes got pretty watery as the ending credits rolled by.

A none DS and more recent example would be when I completed Trails in the Sky in March. I was close to graduating from college at the time and I had been playing that game off and on for almost as long as I had been at university. So when the wispy music played as faded photographs scrolled by with the credits, I got a little emotional.

I know there are other games but that's all I can remember at the moment.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@lentfilms: Heck yeah, the Elite Beat Agents Christmas Scenario was super tear jerking especially if you keep on failing and don't get ghost dad his reunion with his daughter and wife. I remember the Japanese version of those games, Ouendan having a pretty sad scenario as well.

kaijuuninpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I got pretty teary eyed when I had to make Snake walk through that microwave hallway and also once Metal Gear Solid 4 actually ended. At the time I thought it was truly the end of the Metal Gear Solid series and the last time I'd be able to interact with these characters again. Recently my 12 year old little brother started playing through Metal Gear and when he finally got to 4 I made sure I was in the room with him when he beat it just to see his reaction when Snake puts the gun in his mouth and you hear a gunshot as the game fades to black and "ends" for like the third time. It was pretty great watching as he dropped his controller all teary eyed just saying "Why?" and "What?" over and over again.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Got really close in Brothers and in the Walking Dead Season 1 finale. The latter which I actually told the voice actor of Lee in person :D

Cool dude!

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

While I've never cried at a game yet, just like @zolroyce said, a few games have had a real emotional impact on me and made me yell out rather loudly at my TV, particularly in the case of The Walking Dead. The ending of Bastion really got me as well, as did Mordin's death in Mass Effect 3.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Off the top of my head, I can only recall two instances in which I teared up:

P4: Back in 2008/2009, I was convinced that the PS2 version of P4 would be the only time that I'd be able to play with the cast of P4, so the ending was totally bittersweet. 5-6 years later, I'm totally ready for Atlus to leave Inaba alone for a while. It's a crime that P3 is the Persona game that's getting the movie treatment.

Yakuza 4: With the current state of the Yakuza brand in the West, I managed to love and hate Yakuza 4 for what it did to me. It's my favorite Yakuza game in the series (Shun Akiyama is the coolest mofo on that entire disc), but I hate the fact that it may be the last Yakuza game that comes to the West. I shed so many manly tears during the last hour of that game, man...

Sega got me fucked up.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy: Presuming you haven't, I wish you could have experienced Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! , got me blubbering in two scenes. Our familiar feeling lead character is the most real of all male game leads I have ever seen. I'll drop one of these scenes in a spoiler block:

MC is at the inn, drinking heavily because he was delivered a letter stating the death of somebody he considered his brother (kyodai), they had a lot of time together, saved each others lives, memories. One of the innkeeper ladies (in a nice way, she's got a crush on him) comes in and asks him how he's doing and he's clearly sad. They lay down kindly together on the floor on their backs and he starts talking memories, the tears start welling out hard, you can even hear it in the voice of the voice actor. He gets that crying-cough thing that happens when you absolutely lose it and I think the actor got it for real, but doesn't break out into a howling cry but continues to talk until he's finished, tears running.

Once I get video capturing equipment I'm putting that on youtube.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Corevi
azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

final fantasy 10

sad =(

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo: Reach.

I didn't make me tear up or anything, but that game just had this sense of hopelessness about it that i can't really say i've experienced in any other game. When Jorge sacrifices himself the captain says something along the lines of "He died thinking we had won the war" such a somber moment. Even if you didn't know the story of Reach the way the story is told, while you are completing objectives and winning battles, you know things are going well anywhere else.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West brought many tears to these eyes. Tears of all types.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was that one time when I loaded up FFX and the opening with "To Zanarkand" playing caught me in a rare moment of weakness and I teared up a bit. The hospital scene in P4 and the ending of the first season of The Walking dead would have probably got me hard if I was having one of those moments.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The soundtrack in Halo, the graphics and story in Ground Zeroes on my last-gen system, and when I was younger, every time I lost a race in Midnight Club. To be honest, I do it more than I am willing to mention. The toughest was Depression Quest.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The end of Metal Gear Solid 3 can't get mentioned enough.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@therealmoot:

I'm glad you mentioned MGS 4, because I was feeling like I was the only one. MGS 3 had me tear up a bit at the salute, but I was literally bawling the entire last 15 or so minutes of 4.

Other gaming moments that I can remember crying over are (I think the statute of limitations are up for spoilers on these):

-The resurrection of Crono scene as well as the credit roll from Chrono Trigger

-The death of Aeris and the ending to FF7

Huh, I guess those 4 games are about it.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-The end to Lufia 2 always gets me. I've replayed that game several times and it always gets me teary-eyed.

-Various parts in 999/VLR, I won't go into detail, but they made me very sad.

-Someone mentioned Elite Beat Agents earlier, I never thought a rhythm game could get tears out of me, but along came EBA.

Probably some others, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#118  Edited By Dimsey

The end of Red Dead Redemption... I won't lie, I bawled. Cried a couple times playing The Walking Dead also. Season 1.
I teared up a few times in Season 2 but never full on cried.

That aside I can't recall anything but it happens more than you'd think, it really doesn't take much to trigger the waterworks for me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The orphans related stuff in Yakuza 3.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've ever cried at a game (movies, yeah loads), however, the end of The Last of Us had me sat there, jaw agape trying to process all the emotions I was feeling.

God damn, that final conversation just got to me.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many, so many.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

Definitely Persona 3 and 4.

THERE HAVE BEEN A COUPLE VISUAL NOVELS THAT TOUCHED ME IN A SPECIAL WAY THROUGH THE YEARS, ALRIGHT?

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game hasn't gotten me to cry yet, but Curly after the Core if you don't find the rope got me pretty damn close. Actually, that whole game has an emotional kick to it that I was not prepared for. Also, shout-outs to Maiden Astrea and the Valley of Defilement.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By jimipeppr

Mass Effect 3, when Mordin died. They were actually tears of joy because I knew that he died to fix something that he regretted.

Brothers, when little bro channels his dead brother's strength in order to save their father.

To the Moon. Basically throughout the whole thing. This game is beautifully written.

Papo y Yo, It's about a kid with an abusive parent and features some fantastic metaphors/symbolism.

Depression Quest.

A few others as well, probably.

Avatar image for deactivated-64fe39cd6f674
deactivated-64fe39cd6f674

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say a single in game moment has made me cry, but I did cry my eyes out when I jammed caslevania into my nes with a couple mike&ikes stuck in the bottom of my cart.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The bad ending of Bioshock 2. I played that game with blatant disregard for every NPC I came across, and to see Eleanor perpetrate the same acts I had, and tell me to my face that she learned it from me, was devastating. It really made me feel like a piece of shit.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Ford_Dent

I got pretty choked up at the end of Mass Effect 3 (I did the synthesis ending, and am one of the rare few who actually liked the original endings just fine)--just knowing that I'd reached the end and that fucking piano music is so goddamn beautiful. Anderson dying hit me pretty hard too.

Oh, and in my first playthrough Tali committed suicide and I was emotionally devastated for several days afterwards.

Loading Video...

I also made the mistake of playing Depression Quest and basically broke down sobbing at one point.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and in my first playthrough Tali committed suicide and I was emotionally devastated for several days afterwards.

I forgot about that - must've suppressed it. That was definitely brutal.

Looking at conversation, there're quite a few people that don't get invested in the characters if it's a game. It's actually rather interesting how we differ, not just in our tastes and preferences, but in our way of enjoying each medium. Sort of getting sidetracked here, but for me, I pretty much always get invested in characters if it's a book or a game. But there is a weird pre-requisite of the protagonist being male - I need to be able to relate to him, on that basic level, or I won't get into the story, the world and the other characters. And it's about the same with tv series as well - of course, the longer the series, the more I'll be invested. But I've cried my eyes out at the ends of stuff like Babylon 5, Band of Brothers, Cowboy Bebop etc. I think movies are the odd one out - I can just as easily enjoy a movie with female protagonist(s) as one without, but I also never get as invested. I've cried only during movies that are purposefully trying to make you sad and depressed, like Hotaru no Haka.

I think it has something to do with how we want to experience things or what we want from them. For me, it's pure escapism - so I try to immerse myself into the material, as much as possible. In movies though, I always feel more like an observer, than participant.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 moments have made me cry:

- The season finale of The Walking Dead: Season One

- Various moments in The Last of Us. Couldn't narrow down to one, there were MANY that made me tear up. One made me just straight up cry.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I'm not going to read every single comment, but someone let me know if no one has stated the ending of Journey because if that is the case, you are all bad people and have no souls if you didn't tear up at the ending.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By The_Vein

The ends of Okami and Final Fantasy X both made me cry actual tears.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Unilad

Gears of War 3 - Dom's death.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red dead redemption

MGS3 and 4

And the hardest I have ever cried is Enslaved. What a wonderful game. Perfect.

DogDingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow the most teary-eyedness I've gotten from a videogame in recent years was from one of the most beefed up testosterone addled titles in gaming. It was in Gears of War 3: The scene where Dom sacrifices himself when he's in the cabin of the truck and he's talking out loud to his dead wife Maria, ohhh man. Plus Marcus's reaction was heart wrenching too, it's really an amazing scene. Here it is

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was already in a really weird emotional state prior to starting the game, but playing through the first Walking Dead season in under a week right after having to go to a really uncomfortable wake for someone who I knew since I was 3 years old... man, I don't think I've ever cried that much over anything. The ending absolutely wrecked me.

Other than that, there's been a few tears shed, but I seriously doubt any video game will come close to that.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By SomberOwl

This is kind of weird. I've never tiered up while playing a game, but when I think about playing games in the past I start to tear up a bit. Mainly Mass Effect. Not just because of any particular moment in the story, but just the games as a whole. When I think about how what an amazing experience those games are it gets to me.

Just remember the music gets me.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I don't really cry over games any more. Not because I'm not affected by the game or anything, but for some reason nothing really manages to make me tear up. However, there have been close calls though where I almost cried, for example, both seasons of Telltales walking dead game came really close to making me tear up. In season one, you spent most of your time building your relationship with clementine, so having her lose, or in my version of the game, kill the only friend and parental figure she has left nearly tore be to bits. And the fact that you are basically coaching her to do it doesn't help either.

Season two didn't really hold back either when it came to emotional storytelling. My relationship with Kenny may not have been very friendly at times, but this was a guy I have gone through hell with, and at the end of the Day, he was the only one really looking out for clementine(Jane was a psycho, done deal), so having to part with him(I didn't kill him) and telling him that he was too dangerous to be around was gut wrenching as well. It wasn't as powerful as season ones ending, but it came close to making me misty-eyed.

And the last bit may be weird, but for some odd reason it resonated with me; can't imagine why though. And also don't judge me. Resident Evil 6 may have been a bad game in many ways, but there's a reason I don't regard it with as much hatred as other people do. At the end of Chris's campaign, for some odd reason, Peirs's death made me extremely sad. I don't know exactly what made it so emotional for me, but I nearly cried.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtue's Last Reward: The Junpei reveal was rough for me. Also, the way that Akane's computer login info was JUMPYDOLL. Really any scene which involved those two characters was rough. Also the entirety of Luna's reveal at the end was heartbreaking.

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You know I spend too much time on crappy forums when I assumed there would be an internet tough guy mocking everyone in here. Anyway, I've got a few, to be sure.
Mass Effect 3 when I had to choose between the Quarians and the Geth, initially I chose the Geth, because I felt they were in the right and hoped the Quarians would back down, but they didn't and I didn't foresee what would become of Tali. Giving me an illusion of being able to save her just made it worse. I had to turn back the clock after I calmed down, she was my love interest and I'd grown really attached.
Brothers, I had to bury him, and it broke my heart.
Depression Quest hit me real bad. I've been grappling with depression for years, and that game hit me in the gut over and over again with how familiar everything felt.
Journey, It was just very powerful.
The end of Valiant Hearts got me twice Happy tears when Anna saved Karl and the family was reunited, sad tears when Emile was executed.
Persona 4 got me during the Endurance Run when I thought Nanako was dead, I'm a Big Bro, and it just made me think about losing my sister
I shed one or two in both Gears 2 and 3, It was the Dom parts, when Maria passed and when Dom passed.
I mist up a little every time I hear the intro song to the original Kingdom Hearts, it just brings me right back to a simpler time I'd guess.
There's more I'm sure, I'm kind of an emotional guy.

ConstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By ConstantRyan

The end of Gone Home

Loading Video...
Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nanako. All I need to say man.

...and fuckin' EBA. That damn song.

suanatun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By suanatun

Not from playing games but from games that played and were turned off/error or forced quit without saving haha. I don't literally cry of course - just feel like crying so baddd!

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Walking Dead - Season 1 ending. Maaaaan! That hit unexpectedly hard. More than anything that had come before it in the game.

I actually also remember choking up at the end of Mass Effect 3. But then I'm a wuss!

I very recently went back to Metal Gear Solid 4, playing it through twice in quick succession and really surprisingly both times part of the ending got me "emotional" and I can't believe it did... twice! Namely... The dying Big Boss at the end saying "This is good isn't it?" before it cuts.