Gaming related Lingo/Phrases/Words that drive you nuts?

• 121 results
Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

#101  Edited By Svenzon

It's not limited to gaming, but the way "rape" is so casually thrown around these days makes me want to puke. CGI popping up in old movies or losing in an online game should NEVER EVER be compared to such a horrifying and traumatic experience. Just the other day I heard someone say adding easier difficulties to Dark Souls would be to "rape the game" and I just wanted to savagely beat that person. Oh man, now I'm all riled up.

MMO slang and all those weird acronyms are annoying as hell too. You can tell straight away if someone has played way too much World of Warcraft, since every other thing they say is a three- or four-letter acronym. An old friend of mine came up to me and said he found Diablo 3 to be a huge disappointment, since "you can't do unseen TP on HC, LOL". I had no clue what he meant and I'm not sure I wanna know either. Best thing was when a customer at work asked me if it was true that all "Xbox 720" (ugh) games would be "soulbound". Yeah.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Some that annoy me:

The term gamer is tolerable, but what isn't is something like "Girl Gamer". It doesn't matter who you are. You play games, you're a girl, I play games, I'm a dude, It's not like I call myself a Guy Gamer. I'm simply a gamer, and so are you.

Pwnd, and to a lesser extent, Owned.

I'll agree that the term "rape" being used the way it is in games ("Oh man, I Just raped you in Street Fighter!") is terrible.

Some of the MMO slang is so hard to understand, even as someone who played WoW and various other MMOs for a long period of time. I could never get my head around it.

Using GG in every day speech.

One term I like is Frag, but saying "Nice frag!" to a friend who's playing CoD always gets me either a weird look or makes them point out they have a sniper rifle, not a grenade.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By oraknabo

I don't get the sensitivity over rape being used metaphorically. Sure, rape is a terrible thing, but so is murder and no one gets weird about using it the same way. Look at all of the ways comics use "murder", "slay" and "kill" to describe a successful performance.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By skooks

Definitely agree with those of you who dislike how the word 'rape' is thrown around so casually now. The other day my mum was actually telling me how she saw two young children playing chase in the street near her house, and when she walked past them she heard one of the kids tell the other that he was going to rape her when he caught her. Pretty shocking.

On a less serious note, I hate hearing the words 'hardcore' or 'casual' when describing games / people who play them. Ugh.

DaJimmyRustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By DaJimmyRustla

I have to turn off the audio for evo streams because that shit's too "hype" call me "salty" if you want ugh.Overuse of the word "bro" and the word "raped" as well as "pwned".

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106  Edited By Gladiator_Games

Not gaming related.. But any time someone says "paradigm shift" I have to break out my murderin' axe

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#107  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Nintendo tapes.

There's no tape in them! They're not tapes! GRRR!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By Ben_H
@oraknabo said:

Yeah, the only time I've heard "toon" for an MMO character is when people I knew were playing Toontown.

I heard people using it for Diablo III. It drove me nuts.
Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's more of an Internet meme but I think "Trolled" needs to fucking die already.

Also, "You can't spell ignorant without IGN" comments remarkably still irk me. 

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By Mighty

@Dacnomaniac said:

Raped. Since it was used by some 'popular' commentators. Not sure why I just fucking hate that word. No uncle jokes...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By toowalrus

People immediately disregarding a game because it's just another brown multiplayer shooter.

Sure, the genre is oversaturated, but I still like to withhold judgement until I've seen the final product. Spec Ops fit that description, and that game was pretty good.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#112  Edited By DonutFever

Just off reading the first page, I've seen a lot of the ones I was thinking: Contard, Triple-A, Xbot, Raped, Entitlement, Adjective Experience, Gamer Girl.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Subjugation

@Ben_H said:

@oraknabo said:

Yeah, the only time I've heard "toon" for an MMO character is when people I knew were playing Toontown.

I heard people using it for Diablo III. It drove me nuts.

It was pretty prevalent in WoW as well.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By RE_Player1

When people call a mode in which one player assists the main player complete the game, like the two player mode in the Super Mario Galaxy games, as "girlfriend mode". Fuck off with that.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115  Edited By Gladiator_Games
@morrelloman

I hate when people are like its a sub and I'm like naw dawg its a hero. Cuz sub is short for submarine sandwich and I don't see a periscope on there, but I certainly feel like a hero when I eat a nice chicken parm. I quite partial to sand-bone as well. As you can tell, I'm having a weird fucking day. Please help.

Ah but a Hero sammich has no cape! To counter your periscope argument.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#116  Edited By musubi

@MooseyMcMan said:

Nintendo tapes.

There's no tape in them! They're not tapes! GRRR!

Oh god yeah my Mom said that all the time when i was a kid.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By FearMyFlop

@msavo said:

When people call a mode in which one player assists the main player complete the game, like the two player mode in the Super Mario Galaxy games, as "girlfriend mode". Fuck off with that.

I totally agree with this. There's got to be another way to explain that mode without simultaneously depicting women as lesser than and assuming all video game playing persons (avoiding the use of "gamer" is rather hard) are men or even men that are straight.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By RE_Player1

@FearMyFlop said:

@msavo said:

I totally agree with this. There's got to be another way to explain that mode without simultaneously depicting women as lesser than and assuming all video game playing persons (avoiding the use of "gamer" is rather hard) are men or even men that are straight.

It got to the point where I was getting annoyed at the GB crew for using it on the bombcast. They don't say it as much now but around 2009 and 2010 they would always use that term for that type of mode. Just call it like "helping hand mode" or something like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything anyone says on the MIC in Call of Duty. I mean Jesus, the words that are said.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#120  Edited By egg

"Triple-A" pisses me off

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers