• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by wwfundertaker (1548 posts) -

The game looks and sounds bad, Jeff thought the game was awful and gave a bad review. Whats wrong with that.  

Who cares what Gaming Trend thinks anyway.

#102 Posted by zudthespud (3325 posts) -

I haven't played the game, but looking at it 92 seems pretty steep. I just checked up, Gaming Trend gave skate 2 82/100. While I think that's probably a fair score for a good game, 92 for Ride? come on, maybe he got the numbers the wrong way and meant to put 29.

#103 Posted by eroticfishcake (7856 posts) -

I couldn't care less about the rest of the article 'cause the guy's an idiot for various reasons but "eggplant"?

#104 Edited by RafamanGrundy (65 posts) -
@Jayzilla said:

" i have heard of rappers battling, but game critics? MC Gerstmann will have to fire back. "

#105 Posted by Kombat (2301 posts) -

Why do we care?

#106 Posted by SpecTackle (1216 posts) -

Something tells me the marketing guy was the only one on staff willing to put up a bought review with his name on it.

#107 Posted by get2sammyb (6686 posts) -

If the site's opinion is that the game is good - then fine, whatever, that's up to them. But they shouldn't be lashing out at a totally different site/reviewer because of it.

#108 Edited by Rowr (5861 posts) -

I read one of the high scores reviews. It seemed as though activision had written it their selves.

Attacking jeff personally seems kind of out of no where.

#109 Posted by Adamantium (891 posts) -

"Gaming Trend", eh? Can't say as I've ever heard of the site (until now), but it seems that it's at least appropriately titled.

The newest trend in gaming is to go totally mainstream in favor of money and popularity, then turn around and diss anybody who could be considered a "real gamer" by calling them nerdy, or anti-social, or a douche, or whatever. This guy just does it at a different level I guess.

Props to Jeff and the GB crew for keeping it real. Long live Giang Bomb.

#110 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4941 posts) -

lol whos gaming trend? i see at the bottom is says copyright 1999, its kind of sad that your site around so long yet people wonder who are they? as for that the admin is like but why is my credibility called into question? maybe because other sites don't call other reviewers names.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
#111 Edited by buzz_killington (3659 posts) -

Just look at the website... Looks like it designed using Microsoft Word and saved as html.  

also every single person on the forums is a "Gaming Trend Senior Member". Yup, it's a legit website.

#112 Posted by Metal_Mills (3535 posts) -
@Not_Rage said:
" So I was looking at Metacritic for Tony Hawk Ride scores and was shocked that it got a 92/100 on a site called "Gaming Trend". 
Ive never heard of it so I checked out the forums and found the reviewer of the game trying to defend his high score despite negative reviews from IGN and GB.

He ends up calling Jeff a "douche" and an "eggplant". Another hatchet job?
 http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=33585.msg620002#msg620002
"
The reviewer sounds like a retard. He was probably paid off.
#113 Posted by MeierTheRed (5940 posts) -

Who cares.

#114 Posted by skippyscissors (395 posts) -

And this guy is an admin?
 @RafamanGrundy: Almost forgot about that video. We should just play that whenever some "reviewer" has a problem with GB.

#115 Posted by brocool (706 posts) -

Publicly Attacking somebody with a greater reputation than you = Bad publicity = Publicity = Marketing 101

#116 Posted by nail1080 (2025 posts) -

Hold on a sec....'Marketing Manager'....new Activision game...which is getting average/poor review scores from most credible game reviewers...but they scored it 92/100.....umm does this look like a pay-off to anyone else? I mean come on, you saw the quick look, that game is real trash, no one could like it 92/100 amount could they?!!

#117 Posted by mattbodega (2281 posts) -

Before we move to much further in this discussion, I would like to point out that "Son of Eggplant" would be the greatest name for anything, ever.

#118 Posted by ftw (23 posts) -

That son of a...

#119 Edited by bacongames (4008 posts) -

For all the douchebags over the years who claim that there are pay-offs in the industry, this is probably the most likely case in a long while.  I see this as less of a pay-off and more as someone who's already had a good financial relationship with Activision doing them a favor of sorts and just putting up an amateur review for the sake of jacking up the metacritic score or simply having a good review to the game's name.  It's basically the same thing as a pay-off but without actual documents, we can't say for sure whether it was or not.

Given the relative credibility of Gaming Trends, I don't see this as anything other than an under the table favor.  This game is a case of Acitivision knowing they were too deep into the investment to pull it and decided instead to make as much back of their losses as possible.  It happens all the time with games, but it usually happens as a result of budgetary issues with smaller game developers and publishers.  That is why games like Darkest of Days exist.  However I see this as an issue of quality that Activision saw but decided to again cut their losses.  Reviews in this case were used in a dirty way to maximize that return with the whole review event they had planned and reviews like this.

A lot of people hate on Activision for just being a big company without any good reason, but this is a case where they done fell off.

#120 Posted by dbz1995 (4962 posts) -

Hey everybody! Jew_Gypsy and Aion have fused to make one complete troll. GAMING TREND!

#121 Posted by AndyMP (254 posts) -

I hate to go against the party line on this one but a game review is a game review. It's one persons opinion. Bashing people because they hold a different opinion is real juvenile. But then so is calling somebody names, like douche, so there's no winner here....

#122 Posted by louiedog (2391 posts) -

If you go to metacritic and see 50 reviews, are you going to read them all? No. You'll read the reviews at your favorite sites. If 48 reviews are negative, and 2 are positive, you'll probably visit one of those 2 positive reviews to see why their opinion is so much different from the rest of the pack. This is a great way to get hits on your site. Being at the top of the metacritic list could help out an unknown site quite a bit. Remember, this guy is a marketing manager and part-time reviewer.

#123 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8663 posts) -

I read all the guy's comments on that thread and his "defense" of his comments is pretty weak. I have never given that site credibility in the first place but they seem to just want to continually point out Jeff being a lazy "eggplant." Is that even an insult? I hope not but I got a good, pathetic laugh out of it. 

Jeff, we (at least most of us) are behind you on this one. Shitty game is shitty.

#124 Posted by AjayRaz (12899 posts) -
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
" @Red said:
" I thought that user reviews weren't supposed to be counted on Metacritic.   HEY O! "
No one can top that. Someone end this thread, right now. "
i second this 
#125 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2561 posts) -

I feel like we just shouldn't even talk about the Gaming Trend review. By doing so, we're only granting credence to their review.

#126 Posted by Bits (4 posts) -

Wow what the fuck is that all about i think we should all just raid the shit out of the board and contradict him considering that game sucks and they definitely do take bribes. Also, I can't believe one of the admins started whining about a post being borderline slander, my god this is the internet not the snugglenet.
#127 Posted by Vinchenzo (6461 posts) -

I knew this guy was a fucktard when he said "quick take" in his post, instead of "quick look." WHAT THE FUCK IS A "QUICK TAKE!?" FUCK YOU, GUY! But now I want a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant sweater. Not as an insult, but because it seems like a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant would be badass.

#128 Posted by Junpei (806 posts) -

yea, I can't take it too seriously. I can understand if he honestly liked the game more than others, fine, someone's bound to. Just attacking everyone else who disagrees is juvenile and idiotic. And yes, his review does sound like spouted corporate lines with typos galore to boot. 

I don't see what the point of yelling about the fact that Jeff sat down while playing something with the Wii board matters since there is frickin video of him on the RIDE board....
#129 Posted by ToadRunner (279 posts) -

he didnt call him that in a review. who cares what some guy said in a forum, hes entitled to his opinion! you guys are the ones trying to start trouble

#130 Posted by gamer_152 (14762 posts) -

No structured criticism, no logical reasoning, just calling him a "douche"? Very mature.

#131 Posted by jakob187 (22957 posts) -

*sniff sniff*  I smell another Too Human video coming along... 

BLAP BLAP BLAP!!!

#132 Posted by Siphillis (1354 posts) -
@EddieMD: Sites with remaining credibility: 

GiantBomb 
1UP 
Eurogamer (mostly)
IGN Australia 
EDGE 
netjak 
GameTrailers 
The Escapist (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw)
#133 Posted by Siphillis (1354 posts) -
@eyehook said:
" First sentence: "Deck peripheral si incredibly sturdy and responsive"  SI?  Nice.... "
Si=Yes, as in " Deck peripheral YES incredibly sturdy and responsive." 
Learn Spanish. 
#134 Posted by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -
@Siphillis said:
" @EddieMD: The Escapist (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw) "
Hahaha, yeah right.
#135 Posted by LiquidSwords (2728 posts) -
@Siphillis said:
" @eyehook said:
" First sentence: "Deck peripheral si incredibly sturdy and responsive"  SI?  Nice.... "
Si=Yes, as in " Deck peripheral YES incredibly sturdy and responsive." Learn Spanish.  "
I speak Spanish and putting Si in there still makes no sense. Learn some correct grammar.
#136 Posted by Milkman (19290 posts) -
@LiquidSwords said:
" @Siphillis said:
" @eyehook said:
Si=Yes, as in " Deck peripheral YES incredibly sturdy and responsive." Learn Spanish.  "
I speak Spanish and putting Si in there still makes no sense. Learn some correct grammar. "
Sarcasm. Learn it.

I tried to make an account on that site and have some words with that review. But apparently, admins need to approve your account. So, fuck that.
#137 Posted by LiquidSwords (2728 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
" @Siphillis said:
" @eyehook said:
I speak Spanish and putting Si in there still makes no sense. Learn some correct grammar. "
Sarcasm. Learn it.  I tried to make an account on that site and have some words with that review. But apparently, admins need to approve your account. So, fuck that. "
Sarcasm never works on the internet, fact
#138 Posted by AndrewB (7816 posts) -
@LiquidSwords said:
" Sarcasm never works on the internet, fact "
I usually agree, but in that case, it was pretty damn blatant.
Avatar image for guided_by_tigers
#139 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

Oh no he didn't!

#140 Posted by Akeldama (4367 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
" Eggplant? "
#141 Posted by Amatsu (40 posts) -

Honestly, that thread on their website was just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone write in my life.  Those guys are absolute proof that being clever does not denote intelligence. 

He attacks someone (rather personally) in Gerstmann, why he decided to single Jeff out, I don't know.  His idiot boss accuses someone of slander (which is spoken) and even if what was labeled as slander was a bit of a controversial accusation, from my standpoint it in no way represented libel (what it actually would be) anyway.  He's throwing pictures up there of his kid with Tony Hawk and they are calling out other websites as not having cred for going out and buying a copy since a review copy wasn't provided and then providing an honest review?

The entire time reading that all I could think was "who the hell are these guys??"  I go to a lot of gaming websites, I have never heard of theirs.  I can handle fan-boys being an idiot in a medium such as a forum.. you kind of expect it of them so you just roll your eyes and move on.  This.... this I can't even begin to describe what it's done to my brain. O.o

#142 Posted by FlipperDesert (2219 posts) -
"Of particular note are the two final levels in Tokyo- one an insane set of vert ramps stacked atop one another that stands as tall as a skyscraper, the other a speed challenge that takes you through a fantastical hodgepodge environment that has you skating down a dragons tail, grinding rails to attack ninjas, and zipping through a scaled-down Tokyo cityscape as if you were Godzilla!"  - So, the game's as realistic as Robomondo were aiming for then.

I try to avoid these kinds of threads normally, but a typo in the first sentence in your review? Maybe he (including his son, Griffin) edited it too.
#143 Posted by Amatsu (40 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" I knew this guy was a fucktard when he said "quick take" in his post, instead of "quick look." WHAT THE FUCK IS A "QUICK TAKE!?" FUCK YOU, GUY! But now I want a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant sweater. Not as an insult, but because it seems like a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant would be badass. "
I, too, want a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant sweater... or a hoodie or something.  They should totally take this and spin it into something positive for the site... the Gerstmann-Eggplant edition Giant Bomb sweater sounds like an awesome idea:)
#144 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2561 posts) -
@Siphillis said:
" @EddieMD: Sites with remaining credibility:  GiantBomb 1UP Eurogamer (mostly)IGN Australia EDGE netjak GameTrailers The Escapist (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw) "
Not The Escapist. I'm pretty sure his reviews now come down to tearing down every popular game to drive traffic. -.-
#145 Edited by Linkyshinks (11400 posts) -

This guys an idiot trying to save face, and with each review that rolls in he'll look like more of one.  

I didn't get the eggplant comment initially, for a second there I thought he was calling Jeff a Sicilian.

#146 Posted by Synthballs (2223 posts) -

I love how the Admin links to Giant Bomb.

Almost like he is a member...

#147 Posted by lead_farmer (1082 posts) -

What the Hell is Gamingtrend?

#148 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@lead_farmer said:
" What the Hell is Gamingtrend? "
Subsidiary to Gamechud, sister site to Gamesite and Gamehere. If you want to get into metacritic, just put game in your site title and people will know you mean business. 
I'm kidding, but I feel like there's probably really a site called Gamehere and that bums me out.
#149 Posted by Darkstar614 (1133 posts) -
@AndrewGaspar said:
" @Siphillis said:
" @EddieMD: Sites with remaining credibility:  GiantBomb 1UP Eurogamer (mostly)IGN Australia EDGE netjak GameTrailers The Escapist (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw) "
Not The Escapist. I'm pretty sure his reviews now come down to tearing down every popular game to drive traffic. -.- "
You say "now" like it hasn't always been that way. Or been unintentional. It's all satire, and it's funny. But I agree with the fact that it's not really a "credible review"

But yeah, these gamingtrend guys seem like tools.
#150 Posted by hakunin (557 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" Meh, who cares, Jeff is the Jim Cramer of video games.  He gets crap from idiots every other day of the week who just don't get it. "
So you´re saying is that you agree that Gerstmann is a douche?