Gaming Trend reviewer calls Jeff Gerstmann a "douche"

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 21

#101  Edited By wwfundertaker

The game looks and sounds bad, Jeff thought the game was awful and gave a bad review. Whats wrong with that.  

Who cares what Gaming Trend thinks anyway.

zudthespud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By zudthespud

I haven't played the game, but looking at it 92 seems pretty steep. I just checked up, Gaming Trend gave skate 2 82/100. While I think that's probably a fair score for a good game, 92 for Ride? come on, maybe he got the numbers the wrong way and meant to put 29.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By eroticfishcake

I couldn't care less about the rest of the article 'cause the guy's an idiot for various reasons but "eggplant"?

RafamanGrundy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104  Edited By RafamanGrundy
@Jayzilla said:

" i have heard of rappers battling, but game critics? MC Gerstmann will have to fire back. "

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By the8bitNacho

Why do we care?

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By SpecTackle

Something tells me the marketing guy was the only one on staff willing to put up a bought review with his name on it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#107  Edited By get2sammyb

If the site's opinion is that the game is good - then fine, whatever, that's up to them. But they shouldn't be lashing out at a totally different site/reviewer because of it.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By Rowr

I read one of the high scores reviews. It seemed as though activision had written it their selves.

Attacking jeff personally seems kind of out of no where.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Adamantium

"Gaming Trend", eh? Can't say as I've ever heard of the site (until now), but it seems that it's at least appropriately titled.

The newest trend in gaming is to go totally mainstream in favor of money and popularity, then turn around and diss anybody who could be considered a "real gamer" by calling them nerdy, or anti-social, or a douche, or whatever. This guy just does it at a different level I guess.

Props to Jeff and the GB crew for keeping it real. Long live Giang Bomb.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

lol whos gaming trend? i see at the bottom is says copyright 1999, its kind of sad that your site around so long yet people wonder who are they? as for that the admin is like but why is my credibility called into question? maybe because other sites don't call other reviewers names.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#111  Edited By buzz_killington

Just look at the website... Looks like it designed using Microsoft Word and saved as html.  

also every single person on the forums is a "Gaming Trend Senior Member". Yup, it's a legit website.

Metal_Mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#112  Edited By Metal_Mills
@Not_Rage said:
" So I was looking at Metacritic for Tony Hawk Ride scores and was shocked that it got a 92/100 on a site called "Gaming Trend". 
Ive never heard of it so I checked out the forums and found the reviewer of the game trying to defend his high score despite negative reviews from IGN and GB.

He ends up calling Jeff a "douche" and an "eggplant". Another hatchet job?
 http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=33585.msg620002#msg620002
"
The reviewer sounds like a retard. He was probably paid off.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By MeierTheRed

Who cares.

skippyscissors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By skippyscissors

And this guy is an admin?
 @RafamanGrundy: Almost forgot about that video. We should just play that whenever some "reviewer" has a problem with GB.

brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By brocool

Publicly Attacking somebody with a greater reputation than you = Bad publicity = Publicity = Marketing 101

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By nail1080

Hold on a sec....'Marketing Manager'....new Activision game...which is getting average/poor review scores from most credible game reviewers...but they scored it 92/100.....umm does this look like a pay-off to anyone else? I mean come on, you saw the quick look, that game is real trash, no one could like it 92/100 amount could they?!!

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By mattbodega

Before we move to much further in this discussion, I would like to point out that "Son of Eggplant" would be the greatest name for anything, ever.

ftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ftw

That son of a...

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#119  Edited By bacongames

For all the douchebags over the years who claim that there are pay-offs in the industry, this is probably the most likely case in a long while.  I see this as less of a pay-off and more as someone who's already had a good financial relationship with Activision doing them a favor of sorts and just putting up an amateur review for the sake of jacking up the metacritic score or simply having a good review to the game's name.  It's basically the same thing as a pay-off but without actual documents, we can't say for sure whether it was or not.

Given the relative credibility of Gaming Trends, I don't see this as anything other than an under the table favor.  This game is a case of Acitivision knowing they were too deep into the investment to pull it and decided instead to make as much back of their losses as possible.  It happens all the time with games, but it usually happens as a result of budgetary issues with smaller game developers and publishers.  That is why games like Darkest of Days exist.  However I see this as an issue of quality that Activision saw but decided to again cut their losses.  Reviews in this case were used in a dirty way to maximize that return with the whole review event they had planned and reviews like this.

A lot of people hate on Activision for just being a big company without any good reason, but this is a case where they done fell off.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By dbz1995

Hey everybody! Jew_Gypsy and Aion have fused to make one complete troll. GAMING TREND!

AndyMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By AndyMP

I hate to go against the party line on this one but a game review is a game review. It's one persons opinion. Bashing people because they hold a different opinion is real juvenile. But then so is calling somebody names, like douche, so there's no winner here....

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By louiedog

If you go to metacritic and see 50 reviews, are you going to read them all? No. You'll read the reviews at your favorite sites. If 48 reviews are negative, and 2 are positive, you'll probably visit one of those 2 positive reviews to see why their opinion is so much different from the rest of the pack. This is a great way to get hits on your site. Being at the top of the metacritic list could help out an unknown site quite a bit. Remember, this guy is a marketing manager and part-time reviewer.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#123  Edited By RHCPfan24

I read all the guy's comments on that thread and his "defense" of his comments is pretty weak. I have never given that site credibility in the first place but they seem to just want to continually point out Jeff being a lazy "eggplant." Is that even an insult? I hope not but I got a good, pathetic laugh out of it. 

Jeff, we (at least most of us) are behind you on this one. Shitty game is shitty.

AjayRaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#124  Edited By AjayRaz
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
" @Red said:
" I thought that user reviews weren't supposed to be counted on Metacritic.   HEY O! "
No one can top that. Someone end this thread, right now. "
i second this 
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I feel like we just shouldn't even talk about the Gaming Trend review. By doing so, we're only granting credence to their review.

Bits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Bits

Wow what the fuck is that all about i think we should all just raid the shit out of the board and contradict him considering that game sucks and they definitely do take bribes. Also, I can't believe one of the admins started whining about a post being borderline slander, my god this is the internet not the snugglenet.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#127  Edited By Vinchenzo

I knew this guy was a fucktard when he said "quick take" in his post, instead of "quick look." WHAT THE FUCK IS A "QUICK TAKE!?" FUCK YOU, GUY! But now I want a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant sweater. Not as an insult, but because it seems like a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant would be badass.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Junpei

yea, I can't take it too seriously. I can understand if he honestly liked the game more than others, fine, someone's bound to. Just attacking everyone else who disagrees is juvenile and idiotic. And yes, his review does sound like spouted corporate lines with typos galore to boot. 

I don't see what the point of yelling about the fact that Jeff sat down while playing something with the Wii board matters since there is frickin video of him on the RIDE board....
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ToadRunner

he didnt call him that in a review. who cares what some guy said in a forum, hes entitled to his opinion! you guys are the ones trying to start trouble

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#130  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

No structured criticism, no logical reasoning, just calling him a "douche"? Very mature.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#131  Edited By jakob187

*sniff sniff*  I smell another Too Human video coming along... 

BLAP BLAP BLAP!!!

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#132  Edited By Siphillis
@EddieMD: Sites with remaining credibility: 

GiantBomb 
1UP 
Eurogamer (mostly)
IGN Australia 
EDGE 
netjak 
GameTrailers 
The Escapist (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw)
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#133  Edited By Siphillis
@eyehook said:
" First sentence: "Deck peripheral si incredibly sturdy and responsive"  SI?  Nice.... "
Si=Yes, as in " Deck peripheral YES incredibly sturdy and responsive." 
Learn Spanish. 
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#134  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Siphillis said:
" @EddieMD: The Escapist (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw) "
Hahaha, yeah right.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#135  Edited By LiquidSwords
@Siphillis said:
" @eyehook said:
" First sentence: "Deck peripheral si incredibly sturdy and responsive"  SI?  Nice.... "
Si=Yes, as in " Deck peripheral YES incredibly sturdy and responsive." Learn Spanish.  "
I speak Spanish and putting Si in there still makes no sense. Learn some correct grammar.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Milkman
@LiquidSwords said:
" @Siphillis said:
" @eyehook said:
Si=Yes, as in " Deck peripheral YES incredibly sturdy and responsive." Learn Spanish.  "
I speak Spanish and putting Si in there still makes no sense. Learn some correct grammar. "
Sarcasm. Learn it.

I tried to make an account on that site and have some words with that review. But apparently, admins need to approve your account. So, fuck that.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#137  Edited By LiquidSwords
@Milkman said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
" @Siphillis said:
" @eyehook said:
I speak Spanish and putting Si in there still makes no sense. Learn some correct grammar. "
Sarcasm. Learn it.  I tried to make an account on that site and have some words with that review. But apparently, admins need to approve your account. So, fuck that. "
Sarcasm never works on the internet, fact
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#138  Edited By AndrewB
@LiquidSwords said:
" Sarcasm never works on the internet, fact "
I usually agree, but in that case, it was pretty damn blatant.
Avatar image for guided_by_tigers
Guided_By_Tigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no he didn't!

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Akeldama
@Dethfish77 said:
" Eggplant? "
Amatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#141  Edited By Amatsu

Honestly, that thread on their website was just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone write in my life.  Those guys are absolute proof that being clever does not denote intelligence. 

He attacks someone (rather personally) in Gerstmann, why he decided to single Jeff out, I don't know.  His idiot boss accuses someone of slander (which is spoken) and even if what was labeled as slander was a bit of a controversial accusation, from my standpoint it in no way represented libel (what it actually would be) anyway.  He's throwing pictures up there of his kid with Tony Hawk and they are calling out other websites as not having cred for going out and buying a copy since a review copy wasn't provided and then providing an honest review?

The entire time reading that all I could think was "who the hell are these guys??"  I go to a lot of gaming websites, I have never heard of theirs.  I can handle fan-boys being an idiot in a medium such as a forum.. you kind of expect it of them so you just roll your eyes and move on.  This.... this I can't even begin to describe what it's done to my brain. O.o

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By FlipperDesert  Online
"Of particular note are the two final levels in Tokyo- one an insane set of vert ramps stacked atop one another that stands as tall as a skyscraper, the other a speed challenge that takes you through a fantastical hodgepodge environment that has you skating down a dragons tail, grinding rails to attack ninjas, and zipping through a scaled-down Tokyo cityscape as if you were Godzilla!"  - So, the game's as realistic as Robomondo were aiming for then.

I try to avoid these kinds of threads normally, but a typo in the first sentence in your review? Maybe he (including his son, Griffin) edited it too.
Amatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Amatsu
@Vinchenzo said:
" I knew this guy was a fucktard when he said "quick take" in his post, instead of "quick look." WHAT THE FUCK IS A "QUICK TAKE!?" FUCK YOU, GUY! But now I want a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant sweater. Not as an insult, but because it seems like a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant would be badass. "
I, too, want a Jeff Gerstmann eggplant sweater... or a hoodie or something.  They should totally take this and spin it into something positive for the site... the Gerstmann-Eggplant edition Giant Bomb sweater sounds like an awesome idea:)
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By AndrewGaspar
@Siphillis said:
" @EddieMD: Sites with remaining credibility:  GiantBomb 1UP Eurogamer (mostly)IGN Australia EDGE netjak GameTrailers The Escapist (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw) "
Not The Escapist. I'm pretty sure his reviews now come down to tearing down every popular game to drive traffic. -.-
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Linkyshinks

This guys an idiot trying to save face, and with each review that rolls in he'll look like more of one.  

I didn't get the eggplant comment initially, for a second there I thought he was calling Jeff a Sicilian.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Synthballs

I love how the Admin links to Giant Bomb.

Almost like he is a member...

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By lead_farmer

What the Hell is Gamingtrend?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By ryanwho
@lead_farmer said:
" What the Hell is Gamingtrend? "
Subsidiary to Gamechud, sister site to Gamesite and Gamehere. If you want to get into metacritic, just put game in your site title and people will know you mean business. 
I'm kidding, but I feel like there's probably really a site called Gamehere and that bums me out.
Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#149  Edited By Darkstar614
@AndrewGaspar said:
" @Siphillis said:
" @EddieMD: Sites with remaining credibility:  GiantBomb 1UP Eurogamer (mostly)IGN Australia EDGE netjak GameTrailers The Escapist (Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw) "
Not The Escapist. I'm pretty sure his reviews now come down to tearing down every popular game to drive traffic. -.- "
You say "now" like it hasn't always been that way. Or been unintentional. It's all satire, and it's funny. But I agree with the fact that it's not really a "credible review"

But yeah, these gamingtrend guys seem like tools.
hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By hakunin
@Brendan said:
" Meh, who cares, Jeff is the Jim Cramer of video games.  He gets crap from idiots every other day of the week who just don't get it. "
So you´re saying is that you agree that Gerstmann is a douche?