GB 4k display adoption poll

• 71 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll GB 4k display adoption poll (503 votes)

I've had one for awhile, I'm an early adopter. (let's say a year and a half or longer) 7%
I pulled the trigger relatively recently for reasons. (let's say a year and a half or less) 14%
I pulled the trigger relatively recently with a PS4 Pro (or purchased one around the same time.) 7%
I pulled the trigger relatively recently with a Xbox One S (or purchased one around the same time.) 1%
I pulled the trigger relatively recently with a new PC build or upgrade (or purchased one around the same time.) 2%
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and gettin' damn close. 4%
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger with a PS4 Pro. 1%
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger with a Xbox One S. 0%
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger with a Xbox One X. 3%
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger with a new PC build or upgrade. 3%
I'll probably wait 'til the PS5 or the Xbox after the XB1X. 2%
I'll wait 'til I feel there are enough gaming content specifically made for 4K. 3%
I'll wait 'til I feel there are too much gaming content spcifically made for 4k. 1%
I'll wait 'til there are enough 4k releases of movies I love. 1%
I'll wait 'til we near mass market adoption. 6%
I'll wait 'til we meet mass market adoption. 6%
I'll wait 'til I'm no longer satisfied with my main display. 21%
I'll wait 'til my main display is busted. 11%
I'm thinking about gettin' one of them "HD" displays, know what I'm sayin'? Everything's got one of them HDMI plugs and nothing just comes with the yellow plug. What happen to the good old days damnit. 1%
Results (There aren't enough options to pick from) 6%

I got my first HDTV around the time I got my 360 'cause it was pretty much a requirement. I know it's weird but it kinda helps when you're able to read the texts being displayed on the screen. Also, the leap from standard to high definition resolution was momentous, something we never had to do in the previous generations.

This gen is a bit trickier with the 4k displays 'cause of the mid gen hardware refresh of the consoles which basically means, 4k can't be a necessity, only a luxury. Not only that, though the leap from HD to UHD is massive, it's a much tougher sell. Most people don't see a problem with just HD and to jump to a new format so soon after the last feels highly forced.

Anyway, I wanted to see the outlook in a community that'll admittedly be more willing to convert to better tech quicker.

• 
Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Keirgo

Heh, I just upgraded my TV to a 4K one this very week, funny timing for this topic to come up. ;)

I had been using a 32" 1080p TV my brother gave me about ten years ago. It's been just fine this whole time, specially since I mostly play on my PC. What finally got me to upgrade was getting a Switch of all things, haha, my old TV was just too small to play on from where I sit.

So I mainly needed a larger TV, and if I was going to spend that money, I figured I might as well go all the way. And it was worth it, even just playing Nintendo games upscaled to 4K looks amazing... next up, a PS4 pro!

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Had a 32 inch 720p set for ages (November 2011) and decided to upgrade. Was going bigger and just go 1080, but found a 4k television that fit my needs for a reasonable price so went for it to future proof my set for a while. Just have a regular PS4 and Xbone but still a big upgrade from what I had.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1080p for life

I only have 21" display for pc, which is the only place I feel like 4k is actually viable. But I don't have a powerful enough pc or the money for new pc. I'm not suffering so...

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By RiotControl

I haven't even upgraded my monitor above 1080p and there's a ton of content that I could utilize with 4k+ monitor, so upgrading my TV is very, very low on my priority list. Of course there's a lot of added costs, too. My current PC can pretty much run anything maxed out, but if I were to go for higher resolutions, the performance impact may be enough to warrant me upgrading my PC.

As for consoles, obviously that'd mean I'd need to buy a brand new console of the updated models... which I probably wouldn't even be interested in them if I already did have a 4K TV. I'd also need to buy a brand new blu-ray player since I'm not interested in the XBOX... err... that acronym doesn't work, does it? I'm not interested in the XB1X and PS4 Pro didn't upgrade the blu-ray player.

So for me the answer is: I'll wait for the next generation consoles.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MOAB

I wouldn't even consider 4K before I got my 1080 Ti. That card makes it a real possibility for me now. Although I can't go back to 60Hz, so I have my eye on the ASUS ultrawide curved 3440x1440 with HDR @ 200Hz.. Even if there was a cable with enough bandwidth to allow that in 4k it would cost a fortune.

I'll probably stick with my 2560×1440/144Hz monitor a bit longer.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally i'm in no hurry going from 1080p TV's and Monitors to 4K yet. If anything the next thing i will get is probably a 21:9 monitor with either a 1080p or 1140p resolution.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'll probably get one when I move to a new apartment and OLED sets come down in price to around the 1000 euro mark.

rccola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a cheap one because it was $350 and I needed a TV. It was about two years ago. I only ever use it for 1080P stuff. There's just no content.

Also it's one of the ones that only displays 30Hz at 4K, so it's useless for games. Fine for video though.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't use a TV and I'm still fine watching a lot of videos in 480, so the only way I'd go 4k is if my monitor broke and nothing else at all was available anymore.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocckob said:

I'm still fine watching a lot of videos in 480

Same. DVDs can look really good.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monitor standards are a bit of a garbage fire right now, so even when the 4K HDR adaptive sync monitors land I'll probably steer clear until the standards settle, which could be 5+ years off from now.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@fnrslvr: You'll be waiting until the end of time. Just make sure you get one with holes for a VESA mount, and you can use any stand you want.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally splurged on a much bigger 4K TV and PS4Pro back when Horizon ZD came out. Went from a 32" to a 50" 4K. Now I can actually see things on the screen when sitting on my couch.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By colourful_hippie

My PC could do 4K when I got a GTX 1080 before I got a 4K tv. I got one of the cheaper LG 4K TV's mainly because I wanted a bigger TV for my room and it being the same price as comparable 1080p TV's made me pull the trigger. Looking back I should have waited because the TV has enough latency for me to notice input lag when playing games.

I also swapped out my Xbox One for an S but don't really use it much for 4K content. I do use some of the PS4 Pro's HDR and 4K features like the checker boarding in Horizon but I'm waiting for 4K OLED's to drop in price enough for me to go all in on 4K plus a newer video card to handle 4k 60FPS, for now I mainly game on my 1440p monitor.

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm more interested in OLED than 4K.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm waiting until something that can actually drive 4K at 60FPS is cheaper. Right now, it's only the 1080TI, and that thing is like $1000 here in Canada. I'm not interested in the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, because outside of a few games, they still run everything at 30FPS. Frame rate is way more important to me than resolution. I have a 1070 now, at that's great for 1440p, so I'll probably stay at that resolution for a while. There's also the problem that only an expensive OLED will look better than the TV I have now. I have a nice(ish) late-model plasma, so the contrast is fantastic. I don't think I'd go back to LED contrast ratios for movies. Hopefully in a few years OLED will become standard and I can pick up a good TV for less than $2000.

eddeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only real use case for 4k would be for lots of desktop real estate as a luxury. As far as games go higher refresh rate displays or the adoption of OLED are more interesting to me.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Oddly enough an option wasn't available for me: I'm debating a new TV and I may get one if the price is right, regardless of what console I own.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have one for about a year now (the LG OLED) and it's totally worth it for gaming alone. The bigger contrast of OLED can reveal more of the 'Netflix compression artifacts' in dark area's, though. Blu-rays are amazing looking as well of course.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#70  Edited By SubwayD

Got both a 4K monitor for my PC and a 4K TV that I use with my Xbox One S for movies. I do art stuff, so a large, high res screen with good colours works out. And I love movies, so of course I've been suckered into the whole UHD HDR scene.

Thinking I might pull the trigger on an Xbox One X, but it really depends on how the software shakes out.

Before buying the PC monitor, I saw a lot of reviews and such with people talking about how small things look and how you have to crank up the scale settings to make things usable. Maybe it's just how my eyesight has shaken out, but running things at 1-to-1 scale looks awesome.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By Zurv

I've been gaming on a 4k screen for some time. I was one of the first people to get Sharp's 4k monitor when they came into the US (holy crap was it costly)

I think it was in 2013. Sharp PNk321. ugh.. so many problem :) It needs displayport with MST. need bios updates, need nvidia drivers (the last took a LONG TIME!)

I never looked back. That said, it moved me to the dark and costly world of 4 way SLI and more aggressive watercooling options. I'm pretty sure i needed 4 Titans to run games at 4k then.

I think I've gone thru 4-5 4k monitors since then. (Alex has one of the them.)

for now I'm rocking the Dell oled 4k screen now. Two LG OLED 4k TVs.. and a (non-oled.. booo) razer 4k gaming laptop. :)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really need a 4K display right now. I am not planning on upgrading to PS4 Pro as I don't have a 4K tv and I'm not going to buy one just to upgrade the PS4. As it stands, my awesome current tv will suffice until whatever the next cycle of consoles will come around and 4K content is a bit more saturated in the market. I am guessing by that time my tv will feel pretty due for an upgrade anyway. And it can move into my bedroom for it's twilight years.