GB Community Game of the Generation - Mass Effect 2

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@lackingsaint: Could not agree more. Fallout 3 was so god damn stale compared to New Vegas

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Leonshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lackingsaint: Agreed. A side by side comparison would have New Vegas coming out on top in every single category, but unfortunately games don't exist in a vacuum. Fallout 3 came first and New Vegas was out just two years later, so I guess a lot of people were burned out and didn't want more. Doesn't really matter, though, I'm not going to like the game less just because it didn't win a popularity contest.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

To the Moon, STALKER, and Arma still aren't on that motherfucking list.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@hailinel said:
(I could try to argue for Final Fantasy XIII's inclusion, but I know that's a battle I would never win despite how much I enjoy the game because so many people are determined to hate it for existing).

I'm pretty sure we're determined to hate it because it takes 20 hours to begin.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Whoa, wait a minute, Dishonored isn't on that list!!

I love Deus Ex HR, but its pretty rough around the edges in certain parts (the boss fights, ending, certain cutscenes were bleh). I definitely thought Dishonored was more polished and just a better game overall.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Before it starts, I think we should have a downloadable poll like @geraltitude suggested. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Limbo, To the Moon, FTL, Rogue Legacy, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX and Guacamelee all deserve a spot as much as the likes of Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Bastion, Journey and Braid.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Pretty much everything I've voted for has lost so far.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I still think it's a little early to GotG, might be better to do it early next year because:

A) Games are still coming out for current-gen systems at the moment; good ones at that, and

B) We're almost upon GotY and I'd rather get that out of the way first.

That said, if the consensus is to do it now, then I'll join in. Oh and to throw my two cents into the pot, I think I would comfortably find a place for Deadly Premonition in the top 64.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it comes down to the classes personally (and the better PC port) but I couldn't put down Borderlands 2, while I struggled to keep interest through the second area in Borderlands 1.

None of the classes were particularly interesting, but then 'Zer0' came along and they took away weapon restrictions and I could finally be a melee-focused hammer-fanning stealth robot-ninja gunslinger.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@adam1808 said:

@hailinel said:
(I could try to argue for Final Fantasy XIII's inclusion, but I know that's a battle I would never win despite how much I enjoy the game because so many people are determined to hate it for existing).

It really doesn't.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Journey.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If Dark Souls or Mass Effect 2 take the prize, I'll be a happy camper.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go Mass Effect 1, Braid, Call of Duty 4, and League of Legends.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the Moon, STALKER, and Arma still aren't on that motherfucking list.

To be fair, To The Moon's gameplay is absolute 100% complete garbage, and the visuals aren't much better. It has an amazing story that nearly made me cry, but so many things about it miss the mark that I just don't think it's worthy of a place here.

STALKER not being here really bums me out, though. Call of Pripyat is easily one of this generation's best.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@triviaman09: Yeah, I agree also prior experience and skill levels in various types of games also kinda dictates how you play them. Previous experience with character action games taught me to move around the camera in order to be constantly abreast of enemy positions so I didn't find it to be frustrating to be honest.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By GaspoweR

@civid: I think FEAR can't be on the list unfortunately since it was originally released for the PC prior to the launch of all the other consoles and the console versions were ports made by a different develover, which eventually ended up being the ones who made F.3.A.R. I think the ports we're also not that great if I remember correctly. This is the quote by the OP @mracoon:

The only rule is that the game has to have come out on either 360, DS, PS3, PSP, Wii or on the PC after the 360 was released (Nov 2005)

FEAR 2 is qualified but I find FEAR to be a much better game though FEAR 2 had a crazy-ass ending which involves ghost sex.0_o

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#168  Edited By Sooty

If Street Fighter IV doesn't get an honourable mention then that's both a crime and makes a joke out of this, it's up there with Call of Duty as extremely influential this gen, hell, it brought back a genre from life support. I would say StarCraft as well, but that genre is actually still pretty much dead and StarCraft has zero competition, where as people are enjoying numerous different fighty-fight games.

I guess League of Legends also counts? It strikes me as one of the first, or maybe the first to get free to play right, although DOTA 2 does it better now. It also made MOBAs kind of a thing, outside of them just being a niche Warcraft III mod.

edit: Also I am pretty much just thinking of influential games, not the "best" because I don't think a game that defines a generation should just be a game that was good. Call of Duty 4 and Street fighter IV were both super influential and also really good. I don't think those two can be beaten.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

I haven't played these games myself... But I have to ask, are these really Game of the Generation material?

• Burnout Paradise
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • Heavy Rain
  • Bayonetta
  • Dead Space
  • Little Big Planet
  • Just Cause 2
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Dead Space
  • EDIT: Asura's Wrath too

Other games that I have played which I think are questionable:

• I loved HL2 - Episode 2, but I don't really think its representative of this generation - It really feels like an expansion to a previous generation game
  • Like I said above, I'd much rather have Dishonored than Deus Ex Human Revolution. But I love both games.
  • Fable 2 - I rented this game and I really hated it. Do not want.
  • Alan Wake - I did play the demo. It was pretty, but the story-telling came across as kind of hokey. The combat just seemed OK. Is it really that good?
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Can we start voting for the main poll now?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@hailinel said:

@armaan8014 said:

Why is Skyrim not replaced by Oblivion or Morrowind?? I demand a preliminary for it!!

Morrowind was an Xbox game, not Xbox 360.

Oh, you're right, sorry. What about Oblivion though? Many prefer that over Skyrim

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'd love a specific category for Best Locomotion of the Generation. I would base it on the tightest, and most responsive of movement controls. Off the top of my head a list of contestants might be as follows:

• Uncharted 2
  • Prototype 2/ Saints Row IV
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Gears Of War
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Assassin's Creed 2
  • Call Of Duty 4
  • Portal 2
  • Dead Space 2

I'm just spit ballin' here! I can't think of the tightest driving controls right now.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

These are the games? There are waaay better games than these.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@civid: I think FEAR can't be on the list unfortunately since it was originally released for the PC prior to the launch of all the other consoles and the console versions were ports made by a different develover, which eventually ended up being the ones who made F.3.A.R. I think the ports we're also not that great if I remember correctly. This is the quote by the OP @mracoon:

The only rule is that the game has to have come out on either 360, DS, PS3, PSP, Wii or on the PC after the 360 was released (Nov 2005)

FEAR 2 is qualified but I find FEAR to be a much better game though FEAR 2 had a crazy-ass ending which involves ghost sex. 0_o

Talk about ghost problems -.-'

You're right about F.E.A.R and F.E.A.R 2 definetly wasn't as strong a game as its predessecor. It was too easy and it didn't have Fettel (not that that made that piece of shit F.3.A.R any better), but the action was still stellar and that was enough for me. Still Dead Rising! Anyone? Am I really alone on that one? Also is there space for Condemned vs Condemned 2? Definetely some of the more unique, interesting games of this generation

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By GaspoweR

@sooty said:

If Street Fighter IV doesn't get an honourable mention then that's both a crime and makes a joke out of this, it's up there with Call of Duty as extremely influential this gen, hell, it brought back a genre from life support. I would say StarCraft as well, but that genre is actually still pretty much dead and StarCraft has zero competition, where as people are enjoying numerous different fighty-fight games.

I guess League of Legends also counts? It strikes me as one of the first, or maybe the first to get free to play right, although DOTA 2 does it better now. It also made MOBAs kind of a thing, outside of them just being a niche Warcraft III mod.

edit: Also I am pretty much just thinking of influential games, not the "best" because I don't think a game that defines a generation should just be a game that was good. Call of Duty 4 and Street fighter IV were both super influential and also really good. I don't think those two can be beaten.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that those games should definitely make it far in that list and needs to be placed in different brackets. COD 4 pretty much changed the way FPS is done right on consoles and SF4 brought about a fighting game renaissance which paved the way for other fighting games to come back (e.g. MK9, Marvel 3) so those two should definitely be up there along with the rise of League of Legends. Even though I personally prefer DOTA 2, I admit that League pretty much put that genre on the map.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#176  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Yes, Street Fighter certainly has to be on the list.

AND SO DOES GUACAMELEE!

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You're gonna need waaaaaay more than 64 slots.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#178  Edited By hermes

@l33t_haxor: They are runner ups. I don't think many of those games stand a chance against some of the favorite games of the generation (Fallout 3, Portal, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, etc), but they deserve to me mentioned because they are all pretty damn good games.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By TranceQuina

Bionic Commando, duh.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mracoon: You never did come back to me, for those other questions.

Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think that hotline miami, mark of the ninja, and FTL belong on this list

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played these games myself... But I have to ask, are these really Game of the Generation material?

• Burnout Paradise
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • Heavy Rain
  • Bayonetta
  • Dead Space
  • Little Big Planet
  • Just Cause 2
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Dead Space
  • EDIT: Asura's Wrath too

Isn't that the point of voting? Those are all acclaimed games with strong fanbases, if they can't hang with the others then they'll just drop off over the course of the voting process. Might as well forgo this whole thing if you want to start picking out games and saying "Well I don't think this is one of the best games of the generation".

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lackingsaint: Sure, you're right, I'm just trying to make room for Metroid Prime 3 :-)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

did your reply get eaten or am I missing something?

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#185  Edited By Daneian

Dark Souls, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Mass Effect 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Street Fighter 4

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@hailinel said:

@adam1808 said:

@hailinel said:

It really doesn't.

It takes four, which, in the context of the game, isn't too much.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Round 1 has now begun! I'm going to space out the polls so as to not spam the forums too much.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood Money vs Arkham Asylum and Walking Dead vs Alan Wake.

God damnit.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#189  Edited By AlexW00d

Crusader Kings 2 vs Mass Effect 2 is probably the most bullshit bracket I have ever seen. You could have at least tried to balance them.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Canteu

Fuck... putting DOTA 2 against league on this site... what a joke.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By TheHT

@canteu: this site or any other site, why would you not put the two big MOBAs against each other?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Canteu

@theht: As in people only play DOTA here, but everyone else in the world plays LoL. Very few of these brackets are balanced, especially against this community. I give up with this entire thing.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By CaLe

@canteu: Well, it is called "Giant Bomb Community Game of the Generation"

And just because more people play a game doesn't mean it's better.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: Cool. I still give up.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: @canteu: To the Moon, STALKER, and Arma are still not on this list. Fuck it all

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@theht: Very few of these brackets are balanced, especially against this community. I give up with this entire thing.

It's game of the generation, unbalanced brackets are an inevitability.

It's all for fun anyways. We just talkin bout video games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By TheHT

WHAT THERE'S NO GUNPOINT?! FUCK IT ALL.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

I think most of us have games that they'd love to be on here(Persona 4 Golden, Battlefield Bad Company 2, TWEWY) but I'd say this is a decent list of some of my favorite games. This obviously isn't the official best games of the generation list that all of us should abide by. but it's a fun way to talk about great games.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to no two games from the same series? I see Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. If Bioshock Infinite isn't in the same series as Bioshock than Demon's Souls isn't in the same series as Dark Souls. Meanwhile you have some tremendous crap to mediocrity on that list. Infamous was ok and all but there was a number of better open world games this gen, here there was even a better "super power" open world game this gen... Saint's Row 4. Was having Saints 3, GTAV, Read Dead, and Sleeping Dogs just not enough open world?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I don't love the way the bracket is laid out. A 64 entrant bracket is supposed to determined by strength seeding, not by thematic pairings. Having League of Legends and Dota or Halo 3 and Gears 3 face off in the first round is cute, but it also means two of those games gets eliminated in the first round. The first round should consist of a lot of one sided victories, the close decisions should really be saved for the later rounds.