GDC Broadcasts

Kerensky_Furey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Kerensky_Furey

I haven't been able to watch them live, because of work, so will they be made into podcast form and released?

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By KowalskiManDown

If Jeff was on schedule then you would already have the first nights endeavours in podcast form.

akzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By akzo
The coverage has been piss poor in my opinion.  Almost no content. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zeforgotten
@akzo said:
" The coverage has been piss poor in my opinion.  Almost no content.  "
That's not true! The GDC Bombcasts were great! 

The breaks where nothing happened were absolutely great! 
They took up almost all of the Bombcasts.  

Sadly, Audio-only listeners will probably get a version where all the "we're drinking and smoking cigars"-breaks are cut out :(
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Dylabaloo
@akzo said:
Agreed, but it must be tough with Ryan being ill and all. Hopefully those podcasts will be up tomorrow.
big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By big_jon
@akzo said:
It will come.
Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Voxatron
@akzo said:
Harsh and generalizing. They've been down Ryan which was significant blow to the team so easy down on the guys. 
Plus seriously not much going on that you can actually put into a video anyway, of course aside from more interviews but I'm sure people are busy demoing and so they've got everyone they possibly could.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Red12b
@akzo said:

http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb/b/280826437   
follow the link for two bombcasts that haven't been uploaded yet, Videos will be on the site soon due to the time it takes Vinny and drew to cut them.  
And most of the stuff they were shown is Embargoed, they can't talk about it or show it till next week, how do you think they feel about that. 
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

As much as people are prone to defend GB, I almost wonder why they go events like GDC if they don't relay some of the core tenets that make the show what it's supposed to be (i.e. the panels, technical developer discussions, creative thought processes). Sure, the podcasts have been great and entertaining, but they've hardly been illuminating what with Jeff STILL asking about Midway whenever the Adam and Johnny are around or asking questions that have already been repeated over and over. For example, the SWERY interview. Again, while entertaining, it was full of questions that have already been asked; most of which were even from GB's own now-defunct community magazine. Yes, I know many people don't consume news and interviews from multiple outlets, but GB didn't go above and beyond the norm aside from an exchange of goods and snacks.

They're a small group of guys and, obviously, they'd be shouldering a bigger workload because of that, but I'm not seeing a concerted effort to actually cover the event. Really, how hard is it to get a couple of industry friends to sit down, drink and talk about some games? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because of some embargoes they have in place, but does anyone remember their DICE coverage? I sure as hell don't, aside from, "Oh yeah, we drank and poked out a few inside jokes we can't talk about."

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By frankxiv
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
" As much as people are prone to defend GB, I almost wonder why they go events like GDC "
i'd imagine they go to gdc because it's like right there. also there's nothing much else coming out this week to cover. i'd imagine they can't film or even get to most panels or anything.
Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Voxatron
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

" As much as people are prone to defend GB, I almost wonder why they go events like GDC if they don't relay some of the core tenets that make the show what it's supposed to be (i.e. the panels, technical developer discussions, creative thought processes). Sure, the podcasts have been great and entertaining, but they've hardly been illuminating what with Jeff STILL asking about Midway whenever the Adam and Johnny are around or asking questions that have already been repeated over and over. For example, the SWERY interview. Again, while entertaining, it was full of questions that have already been asked; most of which were even from GB's own now-defunct community magazine. Yes, I know many people don't consume news and interviews from multiple outlets, but GB didn't go above and beyond the norm aside from an exchange of goods and snacks.   They're a small group of guys and, obviously, they'd be shouldering a bigger workload because of that, but I'm not seeing a concerted effort to actually cover the event. Really, how hard is it to get a couple of industry friends to sit down, drink and talk about some games? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because of some embargoes they have in place, but does anyone remember their DICE coverage? I sure as hell don't, aside from, "Oh yeah, we drank and poked out a few inside jokes we can't talk about." "

Uh huh... Did you every think it was for their own benefit too, so maybe they could keep informed and in the loop?! Or so they could do their job 's better how 'bout?! Oh! On the Podcast front I guess I might agree, but that was really only a small part of Day 2 when it definitely went the most off the rails to begin with so I don't really know how that's completely representative of everything. I guess you didn't see Day 1 or what?! I mean it was pretty illuminating in my opinion for sure at least.  As for the Swery interview what questions did you seriously want to hear them ask that haven't already? I mean come on.  Uh... DICE coverage?! They went on assignment they reported the comings and goings as they saw fit which was totally fine with me. Plus when did they "ever" promise that type of coverage your talking about anyway? Never.

@KerenskyFurey said:

" I haven't been able to watch them live, because of work, so will they be made into podcast form and released? "

Day 1 is up.
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SlightConfuse

keep in mind a lot of stuff is embargoed and what video content they have is coming because they had 2 days of live streaming podacast.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Voxatron
@slightconfuse said:
" keep in mind a lot of stuff is embargoed and what video content they have is coming because they had 2 days of live streaming podacast. "
Yes This.
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Gaff

Granted, I haven't had a chance to look at the archived streams, but I can imagine that:

A) With Ryan and their general substitute Alex both out being ill, they're down to four people. Vinny and Drew recording and editing the videos, leaving Brad and Jeff to attend panels, browse the show floor, and in Jeff's case, host and edit the podcasts.

B) Judging from tweets from the event itself, there is a fair bit of counter-programing going on: the biggest example of which was Apple and Nintendo on the first day. That's a lot of hard choices to make. A good alternative would be to have a few industry friends who have attended some panels and gather their opinions, which, whaddayaknow, is precisely the purpose of the podcasts.

On a final note, I personally never thought of Giant Bomb as a site that excels at covering news "as it happens". It's hard to compete with already established sites such as Gamespot, IGN, 1Up, and the various magazine / website hybrids on that front, all of which have much larger staff numbers than GB. GB though has carved a niche for themselves in providing high quality video content, community building and the Quest system. And Twitter is rapidly becoming my main source for news.

Oh, speaking of GDC coverage, a podcast is up!

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
@Panic_Switch: I never asked for content and was merely asking why they're at these shows if they aren't going to cover pertinent information. I also never formed a stance of entitlement throughout the entirety of my reply to this topic. Be careful of what you read before you rattle off your mouth. Also:

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because of some embargoes they have in place..."

I'm all for how this site operates (I'm a yearly subscriber for a reason), but if I find any aspect of it lacking, I sure as hell am not afraid to call them out on it. Encouragement lifts their spirits, but criticism helps them grow; plus they're big boys and I'm sure they can handle a nobody like me saying, "Hey, I think you should cover this better."
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@akzo said:

They're busy doing stuff at the show. They can't edit video's and write articles while they're actually out there doing stuff. We will get content, but it'll take a while, video editing is very time consuming. They're a small group of staff and they don't have the resources to have a load of people on the show floor covering it and recording stuff, and more guys back at the office editing it and getting it up on the site like the big sites do. 

Not to mention that some of the stuff they're covering will be embargoed, and they won't be allowed to cover it until a later date.
Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Voxatron
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

" @Panic_Switch: I never asked for content and was merely asking why they're at these shows if they aren't going to cover pertinent information. I also never formed a stance of entitlement throughout the entirety of my reply to this topic. Be careful of what you read before you rattle off your mouth. Also:

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

"I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because of some embargoes they have in place..."

I'm all for how this site operates (I'm a yearly subscriber for a reason), but if I find any aspect of it lacking, I sure as hell am not afraid to call them out on it. Encouragement lifts their spirits, but criticism helps them grow; plus they're big boys and I'm sure they can handle a nobody like me saying, "Hey, I think you should cover this better." "
First of all, I would like to say I never implied any such thing and was just merely answering the questions you proposed in just a rather condescending manner. A manner of which I'm really sorry about now because it was completely uncalled for and unfair to you.  Secondly however, your words not mine so don't make mine up okay?!So how 'bout next time you please follow your own advice "before you rattle off your mouth"?! Yeah Thanks... Also:

@Sleepy_Insomniac said: 
 "I also never formed a stance of entitlement throughout the entirety of my reply to this topic." 
 " I'm all for how this site operates (I'm a yearly subscriber for a reason), but if I find any aspect of it lacking, I sure as hell am not afraid to call them out on it."

Sounds a bit entitled in my opinion?! But nobodies saying it's wrong as a paid member "yearly slash monthly" or anything... So of course you for sure should be able to express your opinion about "practices" all you want especially since your the consumer in the equation. It's like you said anyway though "they're big boys and I'm sure they can handle a nobody like you saying, Hey, I think you should cover this better".
whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By whitesox
@Panic_Switch said:
" @Sleepy_Insomniac said:

" @Panic_Switch: I never asked for content and was merely asking why they're at these shows if they aren't going to cover pertinent information. I also never formed a stance of entitlement throughout the entirety of my reply to this topic. Be careful of what you read before you rattle off your mouth. Also:

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

I'm all for how this site operates (I'm a yearly subscriber for a reason), but if I find any aspect of it lacking, I sure as hell am not afraid to call them out on it. Encouragement lifts their spirits, but criticism helps them grow; plus they're big boys and I'm sure they can handle a nobody like me saying, "Hey, I think you should cover this better." "
First of all, I would like to say I never implied any such thing and was just merely answering the questions you proposed in just a rather condescending manner. A manner of which I'm really sorry about now because it was completely uncalled for and unfair to you.  Secondly however, your words not mine so don't make mine up okay?!So how 'bout next time you please follow your own advice "before you rattle off your mouth"?! Yeah Thanks... Also:

@Sleepy_Insomniac said: 
 "I also never formed a stance of entitlement throughout the entirety of my reply to this topic." 
 " I'm all for how this site operates (I'm a yearly subscriber for a reason), but if I find any aspect of it lacking, I sure as hell am not afraid to call them out on it."  Sounds a bit entitled in my opinion?! But nobodies saying it's wrong as a paid member "yearly slash monthly" or anything... So of course you for sure should be able to express your opinion about "practices" all you want especially since your the consumer in the equation. It's like you said anyway though "they're big boys and I'm sure they can handle a nobody like you saying, Hey, I think you should cover this better". "
That doesn't sound entitled at all.  It sounds like he feels the content is lacking, which it was.  The fact that he was a yearly subscriber has no bearing on whether or not the content was poor (again, I agree with that statement) but rather that he enjoys the site but takes some issue with it.  Quoting out of context.

The fact that they didn't even have a news story up for the GDC podcasts is inexcusable.  I found out about the podcasts a day and a half later (when they still weren't up) and then watched them on justin.tv.

Also, anybody should be able to express opinions about "practices" all they want, not just subscribers.
Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Voxatron
@whitesox said:

" @Panic_Switch said:

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

@Sleepy_Insomniac said: 
 " I'm all for how this site operates (I'm a yearly subscriber for a reason), but if I find any aspect of it lacking, I sure as hell am not afraid to call them out on it."  Sounds a bit entitled in my opinion?! But nobodies saying it's wrong as a paid member "yearly slash monthly" or anything... So of course you for sure should be able to express your opinion about "practices" all you want especially since your the consumer in the equation. It's like you said anyway though "they're big boys and I'm sure they can handle a nobody like you saying, Hey, I think you should cover this better". "
That doesn't sound entitled at all.  It sounds like he feels the content is lacking, which it was.  The fact that he was a yearly subscriber has no bearing on whether or not the content was poor (again, I agree with that statement) but rather that he enjoys the site but takes some issue with it.  Quoting out of context.  The fact that they didn't even have a news story up for the GDC podcasts is inexcusable.  I found out about the podcasts a day and a half later (when they still weren't up) and then watched them on justin.tv.  Also, anybody should be able to express opinions about "practices" all they want, not just subscribers. "
Agree to Disagree? Oh... I definitely didn't mean that just subscribes should be able to voice their opinions about practices that would be really wrong and unfair. But as for anything about subscribing and having a bearing on content that wasn't really what I was talking about. However though I definitely don't disagree with all your points about the coverage but like a majority of people have been saying throughout the thread  already that there are numerous extenuating circumstances involved.  

Uh.. I don't think he was necessarily concerned about content.
 @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
I never asked for content and was merely asking why they're at these shows if they aren't going to cover pertinent information. 
whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By whitesox
@Panic_Switch said:

" @whitesox said:

" @Panic_Switch said:

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

@Sleepy_Insomniac

said: 
That doesn't sound entitled at all.  It sounds like he feels the content is lacking, which it was.  The fact that he was a yearly subscriber has no bearing on whether or not the content was poor (again, I agree with that statement) but rather that he enjoys the site but takes some issue with it.  Quoting out of context.  The fact that they didn't even have a news story up for the GDC podcasts is inexcusable.  I found out about the podcasts a day and a half later (when they still weren't up) and then watched them on justin.tv.  Also, anybody should be able to express opinions about "practices" all they want, not just subscribers. "
Agree to Disagree? Oh... I definitely didn't mean that just subscribes should be able to voice their opinions about practices that would be really wrong and unfair. But as for anything about subscribing and having a bearing on content that wasn't really what I was talking about. However though I definitely don't disagree with all your points about the coverage but like a majority of people have been saying throughout the thread  already that there are numerous extenuating circumstances involved.  

Uh.. I don't think he was necessarily concerned about content.

@Sleepy_Insomniac

said:
I never asked for content and was merely asking why they're at these shows if they aren't going to cover pertinent information.  "
Extenuating circumstances or not, the coverage has been poor.  I (hope) we can all agree on that.

You did not quote, as far as I can tell, that last part.  But while he never specifically asked for content, he did ask why we weren't getting any.  When someone is entitled, they tend to say something along the lines of "They have to give me more coverage."  Where has he said "Why are they going if we are not getting coverage?"

It's a semantic argument surely, but I don't see the entitlement.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By csl316
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
" As much as people are prone to defend GB, I almost wonder why they go events like GDC." "
Networking is a big reason.
Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Voxatron
@whitesox said:

Extenuating circumstances or not, the coverage has been poor.  I (hope) we can all agree on that.  You did not quote, as far as I can tell, that last part.  But while he never specifically asked for content, he did ask why we weren't getting any.  When someone is entitled, they tend to say something along the lines of "They have to give me more coverage."  Where has he said "Why are they going if we are not getting coverage?"  It's a semantic argument surely, but I don't see the entitlement. "

Nah, I really don't think we all can as it hasn't been all released yet. I wouldn't what to make a hasty generalization about it as a whole before it was all released.
 I quoted him but I didn't use the function and I think he was purposing the question "Why do they even go to these "industry" events if they can't cover the most pertinent information?".  Entitlement isn't so clear cut he implies in my opinion that he has a right to call them out and certainly will when he thinks they're lacking in some aspect. But enough assumptions,  agree to disagree...