Gears of War: The Same Fight Over And Over Again?

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

Edited By skrutop

I played through a bit more of Gears of War last night.  Now, I'm still really early in the game, but I've already had the same firefight a half-dozen times (emergence hole, duck against a wall, shoot, wait to recover health, push forward).  Is that basically how the entire game goes?

Also, I traded GTA IV for Call of Duty 4.  I'm not a huge FPS fan, but I'll admit that CoD4 gives a freakin' amazing first impression.  Hopefully I'll get a bit better about figuring out which Russians to shoot at some point.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By skrutop

I played through a bit more of Gears of War last night.  Now, I'm still really early in the game, but I've already had the same firefight a half-dozen times (emergence hole, duck against a wall, shoot, wait to recover health, push forward).  Is that basically how the entire game goes?

Also, I traded GTA IV for Call of Duty 4.  I'm not a huge FPS fan, but I'll admit that CoD4 gives a freakin' amazing first impression.  Hopefully I'll get a bit better about figuring out which Russians to shoot at some point.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By daniel_beck_90

All the hack and slash games feels a bit repetitive after a a while !!!

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By atejas
skrutop said:
wait to recover health
The only thing making the fights repetitive. The environments, cover, and weapon placements are all actually well done. But it doesn't matter if you can just run a few feet backwards and wait 5 seconds.
Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Lieutenant

That's pretty much how it goes for the whole game. Whack-a-mole over and over in till a cutscene. Ended up selling my copy because it bored to me to death (even on Insane).

Horde mode is pretty awesome with friends, but once you start joining random groups of people it gets very tedious. 99% of the games I joined always failed before 10 waves.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By crunchUK
Lieutenant said:
"That's pretty much how it goes for the whole game. Whack-a-mole over and over in till a cutscene. Ended up selling my copy because it bored to me to death (even on Insane).

Horde mode is pretty awesome with friends, but once you start joining random groups of people it gets very tedious. 99% of the games I joined always failed before 10 waves."
if you failed that means you died too therefore the responsibillity for not being 1337 enough to get throuhg wave 10 lands on YOUR shoulders mate

also that was a bit of the case in gears 1 but gears 2 from what i've played (i'm on the bit where ur driving the centaur) seems to have improved massively in that regard

Plus the gears 2 soundtrackis AMAZING.. which helps a lot i am sure
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I don't remember too many emergence holes in Gears 2. From memory I only count 3-5. I may be wrong,  but Gears 1 required "close the emergence hole" task much more than Gears 2. Nonetheless, I know its repetetive, but it never felt repetetive while I was playing it, and I guess that's why I had/am having so much fun with Gears 2.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss

Interesting to see someone just picking up the original Gears. Anyone know how the online community is faring now that Gears 2 is out?
As for the question... Yeah, there are a bunch of places where the "emergence hole opens, kill a bunch of baddies to close it" scenario plays out. Nonetheless, I found myself able to play through the campaign twice on Hardcore (don't ask why I did it twice) without rolling my eyes overmuch. Also, did anyone else not take anything away from the Adam Fenix scenario? All I know is that he talked with the Locust, which I knew from Gears 1. I mean, the references to him were so vague that I didn't gleam one iota of information from them.

Oh, except that he wanted to si-LOLSPOILER.

mrchup0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By mrchup0n

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but when I played, the locust didn't often let me sit and recover my health for very long. There are also scenarios right in the opening subchapter that emphasize flanking. There are also a few scenarios in the middle where just sitting behind one wall won't work.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Shadow

Who cares if something's repetitive if they keep repeating somthing awesome?  Bungie's philosophy has always been to make 30 seconds of balls to the wall fun, and then to repeat that 30 seconds over and over again.  It works, it's fun, it's entertaining, so who cares if it's the same thing over and over again?

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Verdugo

I got Gears of war 2 over the mail yesterday, on the 3rd act already, and it's A LOT more fun than GOW 1.

That being said, GOW 1 is an enjoyable game, but not really amazing, or maybe that's just me. I dunno.