• 139 results
patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Video games are getting a new awards show, courtesy of Geoff Keighley. The longtime producer of Spike TV's Video Game Awards announced a new event called The Game Awards this morning.

No Caption Provided

The Game Awards takes place in Las Vegas on December 5. It's only a few weeks away, and will be broadcast on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Steam, and elsewhere.

You can even purchase tickets to the event, which go on sale tomorrow.

Variety broke news of The Game Awards, which makes it sound awfully similar to what's been produced in previous years on Spike TV. In essence, it's less gaming's equivalent of the Oscars and more of an opportunity for the industry to hand out awards while simultaneously advertising what's coming next.

As Variety put it:

"The 'Game Awards' also will be produced as an awards show that hypes new games with a first look a trailers and other content, along with musical performances, appearances by game developers, eSports players and online content creators."

Reggie Fils-Aime, Peter Moore, Hideo Kojima, and others sit on the advisory board for The Game Awards.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Godspeed, Geoff Keighley. Apparently he's going to keep tinkering and rebooting this formula until he gets it right.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sure, this could be fine. I've never watched or been very offended by the existence of the Spike Video game Awards so if this is similar with less cheese then I might even tune in. Aren't the GDC awards already gaming's equivalent to the Oscars anyway?

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this one isn't an embarrassment in the same way the previous one was.

whatthegeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if they'll officially launch that Doritos flavored Mt Dew during the awards?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So was the VGA cancelled then?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"New" game awards show. It'll be the same shit we've gotten so far.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a terrible time to announce something that's happening in less than a month.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I expect this will be a more distilled version of the VGAs. Without having to worry about timeslots and commercial breaks and having Linkin Park play on top of a roof somewhere, they can just show a bunch of trailers, give some AAA games special badges to put on their box come release and then be done with it.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lets hope it isn't crap.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Aren't the GDC awards already gaming's equivalent to the Oscars anyway?

Probably closer to the SAG awards, with all the self-back-patting.

EdReedFan20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Las Vegas? The same city as the PlayStation event? On the same weekend? Interesting.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wonder if Joel Mchale is welcome.

The awardshow last year was a wonderful trainwreck.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Doritos awards?

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan: Neither have I but the last one was rough. Like I found there to be redeeming qualities most years, none for last year.

And yeah looking for these game awards to be the Oscars of video games is silly. GDC is probably the closest you'll get it's just they're not too well known. Though I think I've seen them on TV before.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

huh, maybe this is more about SpikeTV ending it's VGA television broadcasts since the last one was hugely successful through it's streaming sites. I still wonder how similar this will be to the VGAs, since Geoff Keighley has a spotty reputation with more hardcore audiences then television audiences.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how long they spent on the name.

Well I sure don't enjoy these shows that Keighley puts on, but he's a hardworking guy that has a lot of pull, so I'll happily be able to ignore the actual show but still probably get some interesting announcements.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

This should be good since Keighley has the reins and doesn't have to deal with network executives. Here's hoping developers still treat this like a big deal and have reveals there.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LoktarOgar

Can't wait to be witness to another twitter discussion between Alex and Keighley about how it sucked and how to improve it.

zeo12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeo12

Diddy kong racing 2 by retro and monster games announcement on the show. Cmon kevin callhagn rumor.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never cared for the last and I don't see why this would change anything. Yay, for unneeded ego stroking?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gaff

From their site:

The Game Awards is not affiliated with or produced by Viacom Media Networks or Spike TV.

Well, that seems like a friendly enough reminder.

Nurabsal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sponsored by Doritos and Dew

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Only way I'll watch it is if McHale comes back to save us from another train wreck.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So the same thing.

Maybe Spike will have less of a hand in it though so that's good.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker comes out on the 5th and Guilty Gear Xrd comes out on the 16th. Any awards for the year of 2014 are automatically invalid.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Humanity

If there is a Fallout 4 announcement it will be the best show ever!

As long as it's a Fallout not ruined by Bethesda I'm all for it!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@gaff said:

From their site:

The Game Awards is not affiliated with or produced by Viacom Media Networks or Spike TV.

They need to put that in giant letters everywhere.

EdReedFan20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EdReedFan20

@onemanarmyy: Geoff has an account on NeoGaf and is answering questions in the official thread about the awards. He confirmed Joel is NOT hosting.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You know I say this as someone who thinks Keighley has done wonders to bring video games to the mainstream audience but I think it's time he hands off the reigns to someone else to produce. I think of it kind of like when a show or game you really like or enjoy starts going down the hillside midway through it's run. Sometimes you just need the rejuvenation of a new creative team to get the juices flowing again.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I wonder how long it took to come up with that title.

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wrect

When discussing the Spike Video Game Awards show, the criticism/apology that has always been made by the press is that the show has to be this way because a straight forward awards show would be too boring. I'm starting to wonder whether that is actually true. At this point, an actual awards show might be better. Am I the only one who thinks that an Oscar-style awards show - with tuxedos and limousines - would actually be more fun than the show they're doing now?

Whenever anyone comments on how the Spike show is just an embarrassing mess of previews and celebrity appearances, the response we get from the press is always some version of, "Well, they're doing the best they can to make it entertaining. You wouldn't want a regular old awards show, would you?"

At this point.... yeah, I actually would.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#33  Edited By vigorousjammer

@gaff said:

From their site:

Hmmm... this at least gives me a little bit of hope that it'll be better than the VGAs. I've never had a problem with Keighley, so him being in charge of the production doesn't bother me... and without the corporate presence there, this could potentially be a more honest award show, even if they still sprinkle in trailers and music performances and such.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

billyok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Points for trying again (and again and again). Better someone like Keighley, much as I'm not a fan, than some Spike TV genius with no concept of what games mean to people. Maybe they'll get this right one day.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Milkman

Keighley is a good people and it's clear that he really cares about trying to make a quality show but this sounds like same shit, different name. I know everyone likes their trailers but if you want to be seen as an actual award show, you should get away from what are essentially ads for upcoming games and focus on actually giving out the awards.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad to see more events here in Vegas. Looks like I'm going to this during the same week that I'm going to the Playstation Experience event.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ChrisTaran

Nope. No thanks! There is no way this can be much better than the Spike show with what they've said to be planning.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expect it to be a rehash of earlier VGAs, although I will always hold a bit of hope that something changes for the better.

In reality though, who am I kidding?

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interesting that means that we could both ps4/xbox one reveals if both psn/xbox live are broadcasting

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Boy, that sounds awful.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GalacticPunt

Which games will the Dewritos Pope canonize this year????

When green smoke rises from the chimney, the GOTY has been chosen.
When green smoke rises from the chimney, the GOTY has been chosen.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Joel McHale and Odd Future? FOR SHAME.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be alright, I guess. It sounds like the exact same thing as the VGAs except without Spike and the public can attend.

Is Spike still doing the VGAs?

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People complain about this too much. At the very least, the VGAs are a wonderful train wreck to witness, and the drinking game potential is so high!

They almost always get one pretty awesome video game reveal too; as awful as VGX was last year, they revealed stinkin' No Man's Sky, and Skyrim was revealed at a VGA.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Info dumping from NeoGAF:

• Not a black tie event.
  • Mixture of (international) press and fan votes.
  • "The advisory board is not involved in the selection of nominees or winners. They are supporters of the show in terms of airing it on their platforms, sharing it with their fanbases, and so on. There are also many other partners of the show (including media outlets), but we will share those details down the road.

The advisory board members do not pay to be on the board, nor is there any fee to submit games for nomination."

• Started after Last of Us: One Night Live: "Neil (Druckmann) turned to me as we walked off stage and said, "You should make the awards feel like that."" Geoff Keighley also draws inspiration from his work on the Final Hours series.
  • Not sure about Joel McHale.
ArjanN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care one bit how cheesy the show is as long as there are some good reveals.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hammondoftexas: I just mean is it going to be a good Fallout, like Fallout 1 and 2, or a soulless husk like Fallout 3?

Benmo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reggie Fils-Aime, Peter Moore, Hideo Kojima, and others sit on the advisory board for The Game Awards.

What does an advisory board do? Are they the ones that pick which games go in which category?

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps the show will be more condensed and less focused on corporate sponsorship. They might actually have time to talk about the award categories and the games receiving them.