Get Your (Ex-) EGM Fix

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
This here's all the ex-EGM I'll ever need.
Yesterday's shocking mass layoff at 1UP and rather less shocking closure of Electronic Gaming Monthly got me thinking about the magazine's two storied decades, and all the editors that came and went there over the years. So this morning I took a look for the first time in a while at the Sore Thumbs blog former editor-in-chief Dan Hsu has been running.

Turns out, Shoe has gotten together a bunch of former EGM dudes and dudettes--none who were with the magazine as recently as yesterday, though--to put their own 2008 awards piece together. The feature's been going up in segments since the end of last year (i.e. for the last week), featuring such names as Shoe and Crispin Boyer (the blog's proprietors), What They Play's John Davison, 8-4's John Ricciardi, Capcom's Kraig Kujawa (he of the Age of Bootypile-of-rum challenge), and none other than international man of mystery Joe Fielder.

I won't take a lot of space listing out people's choices for best, worst, and most overlooked games of the year; you can head over there if you want to get another set of '08 picks from some (likely) familiar faces.

On a sort-of-related note, if your ire is really up over yesterday's developments, there's always this.

Note: We don't necessarily agree with the sentiments expressed in this video, but we sure did marvel at such unbridled, uh, enthusiasm.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Yesterday's shocking mass layoff at 1UP and rather less shocking closure of Electronic Gaming Monthly got me thinking about the magazine's two storied decades, and all the editors that came and went there over the years. So this morning I took a look for the first time in a while at the Sore Thumbs blog former editor-in-chief Dan Hsu has been running.

Turns out, Shoe has gotten together a bunch of former EGM dudes and dudettes--none who were with the magazine as recently as yesterday, though--to put their own 2008 awards piece together. The feature's been going up in segments since the end of last year (i.e. for the last week), featuring such names as Shoe and Crispin Boyer (the blog's proprietors), What They Play's John Davison, 8-4's John Ricciardi, Capcom's Kraig Kujawa (he of the Age of Bootypile-of-rum challenge), and none other than international man of mystery Joe Fielder.

I won't take a lot of space listing out people's choices for best, worst, and most overlooked games of the year; you can head over there if you want to get another set of '08 picks from some (likely) familiar faces.

On a sort-of-related note, if your ire is really up over yesterday's developments, there's always this.

Note: We don't necessarily agree with the sentiments expressed in this video, but we sure did marvel at such unbridled, uh, enthusiasm.
Obienator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Obienator

Man, I remember reading EGM in the Ed Semrad, Sushi X days...good times.

thedeusmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By thedeusmachine

I bought a 2 year digital subscription to EGM in November.  It's really too bad they're closing up.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZmillA

Too soon brad, or should I say, too late.

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lepuke

Heh, some of the video's lyrics are funny. Not bad for something just thrown together considering how recently this happened.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HumanityPlague

How long is it gonna be till Shane Bettenhausen joins Giant Bomb?  I say...3 months.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima

EGM forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Eh didn`t like the rap or his voice but I understand what he is saying, sad that this is happening.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9  Edited By spiceninja

Whatever happened to Joe Fielder? He did some video reviews at GameSpot that I know of and Jeff has talked about him a few times here and there. I always wondered what happened to him.

JOJO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JOJO

LMAO!!!

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Crono

I think that video explains why EGM failed.

ParadoxControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ParadoxControl

Dude's an over night rap star. 

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By musdy

Loved EGM for the short time that I red it.

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By musdy

Loved EGM for the short time that I red it.

PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By PartTimeNinja

I am gonna miss EGM so much... my absolute favorite magazine since early 90's.

By the way, that would be awesome if Shane joined Giant Bomb.

Ontheocho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Ontheocho

It was because of that whole business of Nov. 2007 that I first ventured away from my cuddly internet gaming home to broaden my horizons.  I landed at 1Up and promptly subscribed to their podcasts.  I got to hear the final glory days of Jeff Greene and Shawn Elliot and hear the synergy that was the GB crew mix it up with the 1up yours staff.  If they land on their feet half as well as the Giant Bomb gentlemen did, they'll be alright.  Either there's been to much of this stuff going on as of late, or I'm just getting old and don't know how the industry works.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By maxszy

I second, third or whatever that it would be awesome if Shane joined Giant Bomb.

That video was pretty good. Considering it was made in the matter of a day.. it was pretty creative.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mrfluke
fun fact " joe fielder did the review for the original halo on the xbox at gamespot
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gizmo

Never read EGM(lived in UK), and the only 1UP videos I watched were the Dead Pixels ones, did anyone from those videos get layed off?

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Thanks for the update, please keep us posted on the former 1up staffs' projects.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By dsplayer1010

That was awesome

Avatar image for imtheonekillinu
IMTHEONEKILLINU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IMTHEONEKILLINU

Yeah please help keep us up to date on what happens to those guys.  A lot of good people lost their jobs and it's pretty sad that I feel like I've spent a lot of good years "with them" through the mag and podcasts.  Unfortunately, they probably won't all move somewhere together because it's the whole staff that made listening to them so freakin awesome.  It's the same reason that I love listening to the BombCast.  Individually, you guys would suck and if I had to listen to you each alone I'd drive pencils into my ears; but you make a great team!  

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

=/ i feel like i shouldve bought more issues of EGM. The issues i bought were great reads :P best of luck to those who were laid off...also shane should come here lol

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McQuinn

I will miss the EMG magazine run by "Dan Dan Phan Phan Shoe Shoe".  In all reality UGO has always sucked.  That song was seriously great though.

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrRedwine

I can't believe 1up is over.  Their show was really solid. They did, like, 10 podcasts a week over there, one for whatever you were into.  God knows they were working their asses off.  Big props for those guys.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#26  Edited By citizenkane

It's sad to see the EGM is ending.  I read it every month for years.  I hope they all get some great gigs soon.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By nok

this sux, I really enjoyed what all those cats did over there. Best luck to all of them

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By granderojo

What I want to know is how UGO site gets more traffic than 1ups site did?

caption
caption
I am a long time reader of EGM and been a poster on that site since god knows when, what made UGO traffic better?
HATEBOT5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HATEBOT5000

Stopped reading over the years, but Jesus..I remember salivating over my subscription in 1991. Seeing EGM go down is kind of like seeing a part of my kid self die.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Crispin Boyer
Was: Senior Editor
Is: Vice President of Playing Peggle in my PJs, self

Priceless.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Media_Master

yeah, don't care about EGM

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Phished0ne

I never really read EGM, but the loss of the 1up radio family  makes me tear up....this really has been a bad time, loss of  Shawn, loss of Jeff, now loss of the whole site basically.  Even after shawn and jeff left the LAN-Party podcast(replacement for GFW radio) was still pretty good, and all their podcasts were pretty solid. I loved hearing shane make people mad with his proclimations of  how RE5 just "looked like RE4" and "Mega Man 9 dosent have enough colors".

Dietlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dietlama

I wasn't a reader of EGM at any point, but I was an avid listener of 1up Yours.  I really liked the joint effort that GB did with those guys over the holidays, and I've been listening to their podcast since Jeff was fired from his previous gig at a site that I refuse to name and have not visited since that incident.  I hope that Garnett, Shane, and the others find some way to keep bringing such great games coverage.

I can imagine that we'll hear from them as guests on the Bombcast, but I really love both teams and hope that they can get something going on their own soon.

Good luck guys.