GetEveryone's Shameless Top 10 Plug!

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Here, in its full, copypasta glory, is my favourite games of 2010 list. Oh, what a year it's been!

Pretty conventional, and nothing particularly boat-rocking, but I enjoyed them all immensely none-the-less:

1. Mass Effect 2 

I dislike the term "epic" when thrown around loosely, but this game meets the criterion to the very letter. For the week that I played ME2 I dreamed I was a Space Captain every night: It infected my subconscious, unconscious, consciousness. The universe it created is unparalleled, the characters utterly believable and it handled like a joy. The only not-entirely-convincing downside was the lack of imagination bestowed on the actual planets; A small gripe, and one that I can't fully endorse, myself.
2. Super Street Fighter IV

I have played a combined 900 hours of SF4 since its initial release in '09. 300 of those were SSF4 and it remains my most played game of all time. There is little I can say to express the feeling I have playing this game, and while it may not have been my game of the year (simply for the reason that ME2 provided me with a very different, albeit incomparable experience), I stand by everything I said.

3. Darksiders

Combing an intriguing story with a fantastic world inhabited by some of the best character designs I've seen in years, devilish puzzles and a fully-formed combat system, Darksiders is not only a truly awesome debut, but one of the best games of the year. While the progression system and game structure is certainly reminiscent of the Zelda franchise, it's entirely unfair to disregard it only as such: It is true that the game lifts from that series, and it also finds inspiration from Legacy of Kain, God of War and, atmospherically, Shadowman (the towering Dark Throne stands, looming, a next generation counter-part to Legion's Asylum) but, most importantly, Darksiders finds its own voice within a heavily stylised mythos. Bring on the sequel!

4. Heavy Rain

My housemates and I played through Heavy Rain in a single evening: By 5am we had refused to turn it off and were fighting fatigue. Come the home stretch, we failed to vindicate Ethan, while poor Agent Jayden fell to his gruesome demise and the real killer escaped scot-free. Heavy Rain provided such a complete story experience that when I attempted to replay the last section, it felt hopeless. My Ethan had died saving his son, and that's where his story ended. "But what about the true ending?", you ask? I'll leave the semantics to you; make mine a tragedy.

5. God of War III

God Of War III's scope was without fathom. Whether this had been to its benefit may still be in doubt, but what is unquestionable is that the genre-reinventing GoW series was finished in a spectacularly bloody manner: Kratos disemboweled Titans, dismembered Gods and put to bed his own demons. More importantly, SCEA gave us an to opportunity to hammer O until Zeus' head was little more than a pulpy mess covering our screens. What more could you ask than that?

6. Super Meat Boy

While not instantly-gratifying, SMB merged a beautifully responsive and intuitive control scheme with fantastic level-design and the best soundtrack of the year. A game so entirely and unashamedly caught up in its own gameyness, that it feels fresher than almost anything else this year.

7. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Had I not discovered it so late, ACII would probably have been my 2009 GOTY. I disliked the original, and so, was hesitant to play the sequel: big mistake. I was enraptured with the story, characters and most importantly game progression. Pacing is something so few games fail to get right, but ACII was pitch-perfect. The reason I'm discussing the original so heavily is that I'm only around 6 hours into Brotherhood (plus a handful of hours in the multiplayer) and I'm having exactly the same feelings; I'd hate not to give this installment its due on account of not having finished it in time.

8. Alpha Protocol

Don't worry: I know Alpha Protocol is broken. It is broken as shit. That doesn't detract from my absolute adoration of the game, though. While AP fails in key areas (namely, shady enemy AI and poor gun-play that cause frustration I can't begin to put into words), it has such great intentions that I genuinely can't do anything but love it. The branching dialogue options offer depth close to what ME2 presented, the rewarding RPG elements allow you to play the game the way you want (not to mention the great "perks" system) and the story is a mix of typically riveting, though somewhat cliched, espionage tropes. If more people had given it a chance, we may have hoped to see a better polished sequel somewhere on the horizon. Alas...

9. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Enslaved is somewhat indicative of this year's output. Where one area excels to a degree not previously seen on the medium, it is hampered by irritating flaws. What works? A beautifully realised world, brought to life with thoroughly engaging characters. Unfortunately, it is mired by generic gameplay and a fairly dull combat-system. If only the other 5 people who bought it had told their friends...

10. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Though I've never been an RTS nut, my housemate is an unadulterated Starcraft fanboy. It is solely for this reason that SCII stole more hours from me than I ever thought it would. Unwilling to put in the time and energy required to become adept at 1v1 skirmishes by myself, I was coerced into learning the ropes and before I knew what was happening I had begun to give up evenings in order to play. I haven't touched the campaign...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here, in its full, copypasta glory, is my favourite games of 2010 list. Oh, what a year it's been!

Pretty conventional, and nothing particularly boat-rocking, but I enjoyed them all immensely none-the-less:

1. Mass Effect 2 

I dislike the term "epic" when thrown around loosely, but this game meets the criterion to the very letter. For the week that I played ME2 I dreamed I was a Space Captain every night: It infected my subconscious, unconscious, consciousness. The universe it created is unparalleled, the characters utterly believable and it handled like a joy. The only not-entirely-convincing downside was the lack of imagination bestowed on the actual planets; A small gripe, and one that I can't fully endorse, myself.
2. Super Street Fighter IV

I have played a combined 900 hours of SF4 since its initial release in '09. 300 of those were SSF4 and it remains my most played game of all time. There is little I can say to express the feeling I have playing this game, and while it may not have been my game of the year (simply for the reason that ME2 provided me with a very different, albeit incomparable experience), I stand by everything I said.

3. Darksiders

Combing an intriguing story with a fantastic world inhabited by some of the best character designs I've seen in years, devilish puzzles and a fully-formed combat system, Darksiders is not only a truly awesome debut, but one of the best games of the year. While the progression system and game structure is certainly reminiscent of the Zelda franchise, it's entirely unfair to disregard it only as such: It is true that the game lifts from that series, and it also finds inspiration from Legacy of Kain, God of War and, atmospherically, Shadowman (the towering Dark Throne stands, looming, a next generation counter-part to Legion's Asylum) but, most importantly, Darksiders finds its own voice within a heavily stylised mythos. Bring on the sequel!

4. Heavy Rain

My housemates and I played through Heavy Rain in a single evening: By 5am we had refused to turn it off and were fighting fatigue. Come the home stretch, we failed to vindicate Ethan, while poor Agent Jayden fell to his gruesome demise and the real killer escaped scot-free. Heavy Rain provided such a complete story experience that when I attempted to replay the last section, it felt hopeless. My Ethan had died saving his son, and that's where his story ended. "But what about the true ending?", you ask? I'll leave the semantics to you; make mine a tragedy.

5. God of War III

God Of War III's scope was without fathom. Whether this had been to its benefit may still be in doubt, but what is unquestionable is that the genre-reinventing GoW series was finished in a spectacularly bloody manner: Kratos disemboweled Titans, dismembered Gods and put to bed his own demons. More importantly, SCEA gave us an to opportunity to hammer O until Zeus' head was little more than a pulpy mess covering our screens. What more could you ask than that?

6. Super Meat Boy

While not instantly-gratifying, SMB merged a beautifully responsive and intuitive control scheme with fantastic level-design and the best soundtrack of the year. A game so entirely and unashamedly caught up in its own gameyness, that it feels fresher than almost anything else this year.

7. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Had I not discovered it so late, ACII would probably have been my 2009 GOTY. I disliked the original, and so, was hesitant to play the sequel: big mistake. I was enraptured with the story, characters and most importantly game progression. Pacing is something so few games fail to get right, but ACII was pitch-perfect. The reason I'm discussing the original so heavily is that I'm only around 6 hours into Brotherhood (plus a handful of hours in the multiplayer) and I'm having exactly the same feelings; I'd hate not to give this installment its due on account of not having finished it in time.

8. Alpha Protocol

Don't worry: I know Alpha Protocol is broken. It is broken as shit. That doesn't detract from my absolute adoration of the game, though. While AP fails in key areas (namely, shady enemy AI and poor gun-play that cause frustration I can't begin to put into words), it has such great intentions that I genuinely can't do anything but love it. The branching dialogue options offer depth close to what ME2 presented, the rewarding RPG elements allow you to play the game the way you want (not to mention the great "perks" system) and the story is a mix of typically riveting, though somewhat cliched, espionage tropes. If more people had given it a chance, we may have hoped to see a better polished sequel somewhere on the horizon. Alas...

9. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Enslaved is somewhat indicative of this year's output. Where one area excels to a degree not previously seen on the medium, it is hampered by irritating flaws. What works? A beautifully realised world, brought to life with thoroughly engaging characters. Unfortunately, it is mired by generic gameplay and a fairly dull combat-system. If only the other 5 people who bought it had told their friends...

10. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Though I've never been an RTS nut, my housemate is an unadulterated Starcraft fanboy. It is solely for this reason that SCII stole more hours from me than I ever thought it would. Unwilling to put in the time and energy required to become adept at 1v1 skirmishes by myself, I was coerced into learning the ropes and before I knew what was happening I had begun to give up evenings in order to play. I haven't touched the campaign...

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By dragonzord

I'd say Alpha Protocol's dialog choices had WAY more impact than Mass Effect 2's. It seemed like ME2 generally affected that particular sequence, but never showed up again. Obsidian is typically really good about reminding you of the things you did. 

It's also one of the best RPGs to me because it presents so many ways to beat an encounter, a la Deus Ex.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoner said:
"It's also one of the best RPGs to me because it presents so many ways to beat an encounter, a la Deus Ex. "
This is actually what made me fall in love with the game, and I'm aghast to find I never mentioned the comparison. Great shout, though; it's essentially a spiritual successor to DE.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By melcene

I thought this said topless shame. 

I am disappoint.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@melcene said:
" I thought this said topless ham.  I am disappoint. "
Topless ham coming up!
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Meltac

Great list, even though I would have placed Alpha Protocol higher up. I never encountered any real bugs, or problems, but that could be because I played it on the PC, and had changed in some of the settings, which not only made it look better, but also run way smoother. And as zoner mentioned, what you did, said, and how you generally acted had a imo way bigger impact in the long run. In Rome for example, I killed the men from CIA, instead of just knocking them out, and it got mentioned multiple times later in the game, but when I played those missions I never gave it a thought, because I was so reckless about it, and that was how people felt towards me when they mentioned it, that I was a reckless idiot. Such a great game. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meltac: I wouldn't say I encountered any bugs, per se; just some pretty big design flaws. 

"In Rome for example, I killed the men from CIA, instead of just knocking them out, and it got mentioned multiple times later in the game, but when I played those missions I never gave it a thought. "

I'm guessing you're talking about the CIA office that you have to bug? That's pretty cool, because when I did it undetected, it was barely mentioned again, but I gained perks. I guess, depending on mission parameters, obviously huge events like that one scale to the story.  

I've encountered a couple of instances like this: the level where you have to save the diplomat from the embassy, I had accidentally skipped the mission log without reading all of the intel. When it came to fighting through the place, I was just running and gunning  taking out both US, Russian and SIE troops. Kept popping up later that I'd been far too reckless. 

Like I said, it really tried to do some new things, and while it might have been perceived to fail due to just how broad its scope was, there's definitely a small following that appreciate the things it did right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RiotBananas said:
" Sick of hearing about fucking Mass Effect.  EDIT: Lol 2,000th post! "
Ha, congrats! I'm not too far behind.

Regarding ME2, though, it is GOTY time and that was one of the best releases of the year. It'd be weird if we weren't hearing people voice their opinions on it...