Getting an NES soon, need game suggestions!

• 75 results
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By GreggD

So yeah, a friend of the family is offloading his NES and SNES on me pretty soon. I know the games I want for the SNES, but I need suggestions for NES games to get. Keep in mind I have a local game shop less than ten minutes away that can get me anything even slightly popular but not rare. I've already bought Shadowgate, Golgo 13, Skate or Die 1 and 2, and I'm planning on getting Uninvited when it comes in or maybe from ebay. So now I'm turning to you guys. What should I look up?

P.S: Also keep in mind I have Contra and Super C plus all three Castlevania games on CD-ROM for PC.

P.P.S: I also have a pretty good idea of the standards, so try and be a little more obscure with your suggestions, please.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By GreggD

So yeah, a friend of the family is offloading his NES and SNES on me pretty soon. I know the games I want for the SNES, but I need suggestions for NES games to get. Keep in mind I have a local game shop less than ten minutes away that can get me anything even slightly popular but not rare. I've already bought Shadowgate, Golgo 13, Skate or Die 1 and 2, and I'm planning on getting Uninvited when it comes in or maybe from ebay. So now I'm turning to you guys. What should I look up?

P.S: Also keep in mind I have Contra and Super C plus all three Castlevania games on CD-ROM for PC.

P.P.S: I also have a pretty good idea of the standards, so try and be a little more obscure with your suggestions, please.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2  Edited By loopy_101

Shadow of the Ninja, Power Blade, Robocop, Low G Man, Wrath of the Black Manta, Super Turrican are all games I dug on NES, probably worth trying them out since people might forget to list 'em.

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By camp7203

All the Ninja Gaiden games!

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By sockemjetpack

Baseball Stars ( Way ahead of it's time )

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves ( A rare amazing licensed game. Trust me this one will blow you away )

Batman ( Another great licensed game. Hard though )

Blades of Steel ( The only hockey game where if there's a fight the loser is the only guy that ends up with a penalty )

Faxanadu ( Did you like Zelda 2? You'll like this too. Love the music )

Dr. Mario ( Like Tetris but also like Puzzle Fighter but strangely also like Max Payne 3 )

Guerilla War ( Just damn fun. Player 1 is Fidel Castro and Player 2 is Che Guevera and you liberate Cuba from Fulgencio Batista. True story. Also unlimited lives... read into that what you will )

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

The first Ninja Turtles game was really cool...also JACKAL.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By notdavid

Blaster Master is the fucking best.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Karl_Boss

Mega Man 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maniac Mansion by far. Point and click game.. multiple endings dependent on which 2 characters you choose. Soundtrack is epic.

Dr. Mario... it's just too addicting.

Crystalis. If you're a zelda fan then you'll love this game.

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Mega Man 2, Mario 1 & 3, Little Nemo the Dream Master, Zelda I and II, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Castlevania I, II and III (II may be an acquired taste, I actually like it more than the others), Power Blade,

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Pepsiman

It might cost you a bit more than what you might want to pay, but Metal Storm is definitely a game worth tracking down. It's basically a 20 year-old version of VVVVVV with combat, but since the gravity flipping also affects enemies, things gets really interesting and devious really quickly. Outside of VVVVVV, the gravity flipping stuff is still pretty uncharted territory for video games, or at least in terms of devoting an entire game to it, so to me at least, it still feels like a really fresh experience to play even today.

And while a lot of people seem to be into Dr. Mario, I was always personally more of a Yoshi's Cookie person when it came to NES-era Nintendo puzzlers. The axis shifting mechanic for puzzle solving makes you approach the grid in a more novel way in my book than the standard falling piece game. Do note that it's a completely different game from the plainly named Yoshi, which, while okay, isn't particularly noteworthy in the Nintendo puzzle pantheon, unless you happen to be a diehard Hatris fan or something.

There are some other games that come to mind, but they're PAL/Famicom-exclusives and I'm not sure how deep down the NES rabbit hole you want to go. There are a good number of games that missed a US release and have still gone relatively unnoticed, though, so if you're interested, I'll list another few games in that vein.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

Super Mario 3

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By herocide

@loopy_101 said:

Shadow of the Ninja

Seconded. Especially if you like co-op games.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoeyIA

Dig Dug 2

T&C Surf Designs

RC PRO-AM

Batman Return of The Joker

Gyruss

Balloon Fight

Karnov

Rescue Rangers

Duck Tales

Tiny Toon Adventures

Popeye

Donkey Kong Classics

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project

Pinbot

Rollerball

Life Force

Family Feud

Win, Loose, or Draw

Skyshark

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uhtaree

Mario 2, 3

Zelda

Mega Man 2, 3

Contra, Super C

Super Dodge Ball

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB
  • The Mario franchise. And Dr. Mario.
  • Dragon Warrior.
  • Pro Wrestling.
  • Sky Shark.
  • Golf.
  • Super Pitfall (no, I'm not joking).
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Super Mario Bros 3. Maybe you have heard of it. Also Kid Icarus if you hate yourself.

The NES is decidedly out of my wheelhouse. That's what I've learned today.

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Neferon

River City Ransom. Also Duck Tales was fun.

Brings back memories :D

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

Faxanadu

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

Since you're getting an SNES, just get Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World, it include all the SMB games from NES and SNES.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By Sin4profit

@Neferon said:

There we go, that's the answer i was lookin for.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GreggD

@Pepsiman: Alright, shoot. And guys, I did mention in the OP that I'm looking for stuff outside of the standards like Contra, Mega Man and Mario games. So please try to keep that in mind going forward.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GreggD

@Sin4profit said:

@Neferon said:

There we go, that's the answer i was lookin for.

These two were a given, for what it's worth.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chrissedoff

Little Nemo, Flying Warriors and Metal Storm are some great games most people don't know about.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aetheldod
@camp7203 said:

And Mega Man games ... specially 2 & 3

Ok didnt saw that you wanted other stuff .... lets see ,  oh yeah Clash at Demonhead and  Strider
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GreggD

@Aetheldod: Fuck yeah.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Dogma

Little Nemo the Dream Master is a really good capcom game. I also really like most Disney games from Capcom.

I also have soft spot for LIttle Samson and Uforia. The first one is a actionbased plattformer where you control four different characters and abilities. The Second on is more of Metroidvania game but with more cute graphics. It also makes you control four different characters with abilities that can be powered up. They are kind of hard to get but really awesome NES games.

Funman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Funman
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aetheldod
@GreggD:  Oh dude I remember that the Rambo game was awesome too ... and hard and long :P but do try to get the Strider game it is awesome ... and a bit hard to get through but very woth it I say
Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Robot_Moses

Super Mario Bros 3, Jackal, Bionic Commando, and Battletoads.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By viking_funeral
butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By butano
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project
  • Darkwing Duck
  • Battletoads
  • Mega Man
  • Double Dragon
  • Gauntlet

That's what I grew up with when I was young, along with the obligatory Mario, Duck Hunt, and Zelda games.

EDIT: Oh, and Rampage!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fallen189

Bionic Commando

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33  Edited By Sin4profit

@GreggD: oh you want obscure Nintendo games. You can try Shadowrun for the SNES.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By killacam

31-in-1!

wait, wait... : Nightshade. Super awesome detective/adventure type of game. Each time you "die" you wake up in a death room, and if you can figure out how to get out you get a freebie. The room gets harder with each successive death.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#35  Edited By Slag

I always felt the NES was the golden era of the Side Scroller, so there are some great games in that style. Especially Beat 'em ups, which you just don't get today

lot of great suggestions already mentioned those plus some more

Top down shooters

1942, 1943, Gun.Smoke and Commando,Spyhunter

Top down adventure

Metal Gear, Gauntlet, Crystalis, Star Tropics

beat em up

Double Dragon ,River City Ransom, TMNT II & III , Battletoads ,Rampage

Action and platformers

Lolo (predecessor to Kirby games), Bayou Billy, Bionic Commando, Rescue Rangers, Duck tales, Ghosts N' goblins (1-3), Gargoyle's Quest II, Rush N' Attack, Little nemo, Strider, Blaster Master, Batman the Video game, Batman return of Joker, Faxanadu

Sports

Tecmo Bowl ,Baseball Stars ,Double Dribble, Hockey ,Super Dodge Ball, Excitebike, RC Pro Am, TC surf and Turf

Puzzle

Bubble Bobble,Bomberman, Dr. mario

RPG

Dragon Warrior 1-3, Final Fantasy,

Adventure

Maniac Mansion

some games to avoid-

IronSword - Wizards and Warriors II, A Boy and his Blob, Deadly Towers, Fester's Quest

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uhtaree

Battle of Olympus, Ikari Warriors (2? 3? Not sure which would be best), RBI baseball, Double Dragon II

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Pepsiman

Alrighty, as per your request, here's some Famicom/PAL-exclusive games to contemplate getting. You'll either need to get a cartridge adapter or do some slight soldering to the lockout chip on your NES to get import games to run on it, but the actual act of running the games is otherwise the same. I actually only own a Famicom myself, so I've never tried either route, but neither way seems particularly difficult. Anyway, onto the list:

• Hebereke (Japanese title)/Ufouria (PAL title): Hebereke is a charming little Metroid clone that features three swappable playable characters who all sport unique abilities you need to make the most of in order to explore the world and reach the ending. Naturally, there are collectibles to be found and boss fights to be had and thankfully the game also sports an in-game map system. It won't necessarily take a very long time to beat, but I personally like it more than the original Metroid, especially from a personality perspective. It really doesn't matter which version of the game you get; the PAL version features some minor character design changes and name alterations and the Japanese version, while it does have some dialog, can be easily beaten without knowing a single word in the language.
  • Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula-kun: A kid-friendly Castlevania spinoff, Dracula-kun is a pretty solid platformer in its own right. You've probably seen most everything the game has to offer from a mechanical standpoint since it's basically yet another platformer where you acquire new powers to mix things up, but the level designs, controls, and general flow of the gameplay all just feel really nice. It's not particularly innovative, but it knows what it's doing as a platformer, so in my book, it's not particularly hard to enjoy.
  • Joy Mecha Fight: Your mileage might vary significantly with this game, but as what I believe is the only non-bootleg fighting game on the NES, it's an interesting technical showcase for what the NES could and couldn't do when pushed to do a game genre it was never really designed for in the first place. It's been a while since I've played it, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that while there are tutorials in the game, there are no inherent language barriers that should prevent you from progressing. It is a fighting game, after all. Out of all the games I'm suggesting, this is probably the one I'd most recommend you look up on YouTube first before making up your mind on whether or not it's up your alley. I like it from a historical perspective, but that's very understandably not enough to justify purchasing a game for most people.

I feel like more games should be coming to mind for me, but that's all I can muster right now. If I think of any more, I'll edit this post later.

Smashlampjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Smashlampjaw

Final Fantasy, Adventure Island, Mike Tyson's punch-out are pretty good there are a ton more.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kogasu

If you don't mind digging to get imports or whatever online, there are games like Sweet Home or Earthbound/Mother 1 or even the real Final Fantasy II and III.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShaggE

@SockemJetpack said:

Dr. Mario ( Like Tetris but also like Puzzle Fighter but strangely also like Max Payne 3 )

You have put a smile on my face, sir.

BigSteve1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By BigSteve1983

@Dagbiker said:

Super Mario 3

Pretty much this, it probably gets mentioned as one of the best NES games ever.... However it's amazing.

Also other games to look to get:

Legend of Zelda (maybe Links adventure as well)

Castlevaina 1 to 3

Mega man 1 to 3

Metroid

rihanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rihanna

Goonies 2 - NES

Trojan - NES

Skykid - NES

ozzier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ozzier

Jaws. Just trust me on this one...

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GreggD

@Rihanna said:

Goonies 2 - NES

I beat that when I was a kid. I actually should disclose that I had an NES when I was young, thus the standards like CV and Mario were games I played all the time back then.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Huey2k2

Because nobody else will say it.

NARC.

You're welcome.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hairy_Fish
Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#48  Edited By Sergotron

Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By KaneRobot

@camp7203 said:

Sort of agreed, but the third one is skippable due to the crappy story.

First two are absolutely must-plays though...just be prepared for a TON of trustration once you get near the end, especially in the first game. They're still quite fun though and the music is the best you're going to get on the NES.

For all the shit people give it now for not being a "Kojima-endorsed" port, Metal Gear is really good.

Mega Man 1-3. Just be forewarned though, as with Ninja Gaiden, the first game will piss you off quite a bit.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GreggD

@Huey2k2 said:

Because nobody else will say it.

NARC.

You're welcome.

Played the arcade version to completion. Is the NES version different in any significant ways?