Getting into Fighting Games and Aracade Sticks

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

(Note: yes I meant ARCADE not aracade, sorry)

So I have a question for the GB community that plays fighting games:

I've always admired fighting games. I think they just look cool, the fluid animation and the specials in SF always tempted me to get into it. After holding back for a long time I had the chance to get Street Fighter X Tekken on the real cheap (like $20) so I got it since I thought it looked real cool.

Now my question is this: is getting an arcade stick pretty much essential to really enjoying these games or will sheer practice alone let me eventually get good at using the regular 360 Pad?

I've been doing o-k but I don't think theres any way I can actually get through some of those trials using the pad.

If getting an arcade stick a must - then which kinds would you guys recommend for beginners - meaning not the super expensive ones but not ones that break real fast - a good midi stick?

I feel as if an arcade stick to me is like that flight stick was for Vinny.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee

@Humanity:

It depends on how serious you are at being at the top of your game. There are exceptions to this rule, but I think to be at your best you have to have a stick. It basically comes down to your hands on a arcade stick are a lot faster at hitting the buttons and inputting directions than your thumbs are. And to play like a pro and do some advanced techniques you need to be able to hit multiple buttons at the same time.

I don't think there really is a "good" mid level stick. If you are going to buy one, then just get a quality one like the SF4 TE stick or the variants that have been released subsequently.

But honestly, you should just quit now. Serious fighting game addiction in the end just leads to heart break, sorrow, and hundreds of hours of wasted time. lol

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Canteu

There are pros that use a pad. Sticks aren't a requirement.

I use a pad and do almost as well as my tag team partner who uses a stick. (He's just better at fighting games)

We're both at about 1000BP now.

Directional inputs are faster on a pad but button inputs are faster on a stick.

You can do literally everything on a pad just as well as a stick. Regarding those trials, its not about input. Input is the least important part of fighting games. The important part is timing, and knowing what to use and when.

At some stage it just comes down to preference.

EDIT: I am assuming you are using the D-pad. If you're using the analogue stick you need to stop that right now, and use the d-pad.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Humanity

@McGhee: Well I don't plan on going pro or to any local arcades. I just want to be able to play some matches, enjoy myself, and not drop a bunch of moves while I'm at it.

@Canteu: The timing isn't the hugest issue for me as much as the actual inputs right now. Once again, I am a pretty huge Fighting Game noob so I dunno if it's muscle memory that comes with training or what - I just drop a lot of QC inputs. Like a ton. I made a team of Poison and Lily and got decent at using their combos and whatnot, but for instance when using Poison on the dpad I literally cannot do her Whip of Love ( the rekka rekka rekka punch move) When I use the analog I can semi reliably do the rekkas by kinda mashing the stick back and forth which sucks but honestly thats the only way I know how at this point.

So yah is it muscle memory? IF I just practice will what seems now pretty hard, will become second nature over time?

I was thinking about just getting that HORI Tekken 6 Arcade stick which I've heard people say is not the greatest but it's pretty good for the price (it's pretty cheap) There literally isn't any choice as it's either super cheap stuff or the SF4 TE ones that I don't know are really for me.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By benson

@Humanity said:

I was thinking about just getting that HORI Tekken 6 Arcade stick which I've heard people say is not the greatest but it's pretty good for the price (it's pretty cheap) There literally isn't any choice as it's either super cheap stuff or the SF4 TE ones that I don't know are really for me.

Are you talking about this one?

No Caption Provided

It was my first stick, got it for 30 euros and I think it's okay for a start.

Also, just a heads up from personal experience: playing with a stick will not suddenly improve your performances, it can take a while to get used to, so be prepared to grind. Once you get comfortable with it though, you will probably never want to go back to pad.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Humanity

@benson said:

@Humanity said:

Are you talking about this one?

No Caption Provided

It was my first stick, got it for 30 euros and I think it's okay for a start.

Also, just a heads up from personal experience: playing with a stick will not suddenly improve your performances, it can take a while to get used to, so be prepared to grind. Once you get comfortable with it though, you will probably never want to go back to pad.

Yah thats the one. I heard that as far as beginner sticks go it's not too hsabby and as you mentioned not too expensive. Did it last for a while and how were the batteries? It's a shame it ins't wired.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Canteu

@Humanity: Muscle Memory is a big factor with inputs. I'm playing Hugo and I've never really played a character with command throws before. So I just sat in training doing the motion over and over, from the right and the left (that's important to remember as the pressure changes vastly on a pad depending on which side you're on) and now I can do them somewhat regularly and when I want them to come out.

You should really keep away from the analogue stick. It's basically poison to good play.

What you're doing with the stick to get her rekka out is called buffering, and you can do this just as well on the pad, if not easier.

My partner gave me this advice. Practice hitting the motion but not the button, that way you get so used to hitting the motion and not doing the move when you dont want to, but when you do you can hit the button and react immediately.

I suggest you watch some character breakdown videos. Or even invest in the SFxT brady games guide. It's actually really well written and it's saved me hours and hours of training. It teaches you stuff that you would learn eventually but instead of having to figure it out through trial and error, the pro's just give it to you. It's a bit like having a pro of a specific character teach you personally.

As a side note, my partner plays Lili and she is a fucking monster. She seems rather complicated from what i understand and requires a good level of basic fighting game technique to use. But if you like her then that's all the more reason to get good with her, as once you are she's a house.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By benson

I used it regularely for 9 months, it still works well enough even though the buttons require a little more pressure than when I first got it. Can't really tell for the batteries since I use rechargeables.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MideonNViscera

That Tekken stick is fine if you`ve never used a high quality one. Once you touch one with real parts, you may feel differently. Modding a MadCatz SE is a good balance between price and quality, in my opinion.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#10  Edited By sammo21

If you are playing Mortal Kombat then don't go for a stick...just use your controller.

I prefer my Virtua Stick highgrade or Hori Real Arcade Pro 3.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plenty of high-level players use pads. It's all about personal preference. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

GingerBear16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GingerBear16

I recently bought a Hori V3 which I would definitely recommend. (I think the V3 is ps3 only but they do a white one which is essentially the same for the 360.)

I don't think a fight stick is essential for fighting games although I find it a lot more fun, kinda like playing a racing game with a wheel or wearing lycra while playing cycling games...

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benson

@James_Giant_Peach: IMO "plenty" is overselling it, pad players are still a tiny minority. You're right, in the end it comes down to personal preference, but most fighting games are still designed with arcades in mind, and it's not a coincidence that for every Wolfkrone or Fanatiq you have 20 stick players.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Humanity

@Canteu: I just realized recently from some videos that Lily's twirls let you go through projectiles which is really good to know. I like her mainly cause she has a lot of powerful moves that are just different button variations. Like QCF l.p, QCF m.p etc etc. She has a lot of good mid-air stuff but I have a problem executing anything while in mid jump so gonna keep practicing.

also thanks everyone for replying I was getting worried I'm gonna have a dead thread here

I think I'll stick to a pad till the end of the month and when the next paycheck comes in and I still feel a yearning for a stick I'll get one. Thanks for the help!

JudahJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JudahJones

Hello fellow casual fighting game fan!

In terms of pad vs stick, I was like you in that I played on a pad for years before deciding to try out a stick ( i also dont go to tourneys and mainly play online). My reason being that I was having trouble consistently doing dragon punch motions to the left and it became a particular pain in the ass for games like Marvel vs capcom 3. In terms of stick choice that really depends on your tastes in fighting games in general. if you just dabble in the occasional fighting game, then try out on one of the cheaper sticks or perhaps dont bother with one at all. However, if you genuinely like the genre and will buy multiple fighting games in the future, save up and get a Mad Catz TE stick. The parts are easily interchangeable, and will last many a button mash and rage session. plus if you want to mod it (say put in an octagonal joystick plate rather than the default square one, thats super easy to do). Just like someone above me said though, dont hop on a stick and think that you automatically be godlike. You still have to re-train your muscle memory. But I think its worth it in the long run.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By scarace360

its not needed but if you prefer to play with stick then you should get one.