Giant Bomb Android Application, now in Beta!

• 186 results
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By harris
@Skytylz: Yeah, we're working on the orientation switching bug. Sorry about that. There are also quite a few video optimizations in the next update.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Skytylz
@harris said:
" @Skytylz: Yeah, we're working on the orientation switching bug. Sorry about that. There are also quite a few video optimizations in the next update. "
Thats awesome, great work by the way!
Teppoudama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Teppoudama

I tried it out on my G1 and absolutely no issues opening articles or playing podcasts and videos. I'm picking up a Notion Ink Adam (Android Tablet) later in the year and will be curious to see how the GUI elements scale up on that, or one of the new cheap Archos Android tablets.

JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By JohnRehill

Awesome!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By harris
@Teppoudama: I tried running it on a large screen device once, and it seemed to work pretty well. Everything except the video worked, but I am pretty confident that was because of the device I was using and not the app. I was running Android Live in a VM.
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By erinfizz

Wow, I just got a Motorola CLIQ and the app runs great! Looking forward to further updates. ^_^

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By baba2

Superb app, I haven't tried watching videos but everything else is brilliant. Thanks guys.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Hot_Karl

I bought myself a Motorola Droid a couple days ago, and this was one of the first apps i downloaded. It's excellent, thanks so much guys. The only problem I have is that the video tab sometimes doesn't load properly, forcing me to shut the program down, but that might have to do with my network more than anything. 

If you guys take donations...let me know, I'd be more than willing to help out.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By harris

Thanks for all the positive comments. Sorry the new update has been taking a while, all three of us have been pretty busy lately. It's coming soon, I promise. It's about 75% done. 

@VinceNotVance: Donations are welcome, but please be clear that the donation is purely for the app and not for any sort of GB content. Consider buying a Giant Bomb t-shirt before donating to us, they're the ones who really make the app worthwhile. If you decide to donate, It'll be split between all three of us equally. Thanks in advance. I'll stick some details about donating in the original post.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By iam3green

nice i want to get a new phone so i can the apps. pretty cool stuff man.

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By Pkshields

Been using this every day on Samsung Galaxy for months now, and it is still working extremely well. Can't wait for the forum feature!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Eta on forum feature? 

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man: Forum feature may not make it in the next release. Had it working, but the forum code changed. Can't really give an ETA on it.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@harris said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: Forum feature may not make it in the next release. Had it working, but the forum code changed. Can't really give an ETA on it. "
Well soon my laptop will be in the shop for a fix. I am gonna need my Giant bomb fix!!! 
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By choffy21
@harris: Updates? Anything working again?
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By harris
@choffy21: Forum stuff is still broken, nearly have the major orientation switching bug fixed though. Should have an update this weekend. Forum support may or may not be there... probably not. It's really hard to constantly keep the code up to date with the changing forum code, but I have some ideas that could make it work. I'll see what I can do.
Rirobuge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Rirobuge

Just got a droid eris today, pretty psyched to see this.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@harris said:
" @choffy21: Forum stuff is still broken, nearly have the major orientation switching bug fixed though. Should have an update this weekend. Forum support may or may not be there... probably not. It's really hard to constantly keep the code up to date with the changing forum code, but I have some ideas that could make it work. I'll see what I can do. "
I hope you can get the forum working. Maybe even a simple form. Just typing. I do not need insert and all that lol. 
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @harris said:
" @choffy21: Forum stuff is still broken, nearly have the major orientation switching bug fixed though. Should have an update this weekend. Forum support may or may not be there... probably not. It's really hard to constantly keep the code up to date with the changing forum code, but I have some ideas that could make it work. I'll see what I can do. "
I hope you can get the forum working. Maybe even a simple form. Just typing. I do not need insert and all that lol.  "
The simple part takes a lot of work :( Sadly insert and stuff is the easy part.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@harris said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @harris said:
I hope you can get the forum working. Maybe even a simple form. Just typing. I do not need insert and all that lol.  "
The simple part takes a lot of work :( Sadly insert and stuff is the easy part. "
I NEED ME SOME POSTIN. But that is cool Ill wait! 
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Thanks man, cant wait to get it when/if I get my Nexus One.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By harris

Version 1.8 released! 
-New icon 
-Fixed the orientation switching bug 
-Video player optimizations  

Forum support didn't make it to this release, I'll see what I can do to get it working later on. As always, please leave feedback on this release. How do you like the new icon? Do videos play better? 

Thanks for testing! 

Edit: Oh! Almost forgot to mention that we now have over 2000 active users and have maintained our 4.5 star rating with nearly 200 ratings. Thanks for the support, everyone :)

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By b33

bought a android phone a week ago, tried this app yesterday, loved it :D 

...  gonna try to trade my phone to a new one, 3 dead/stuck pixels :(

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@harris said:
" Version 1.8 released! -New icon -Fixed the orientation switching bug -Video player optimizations    Forum support didn't make it to this release, I'll see what I can do to get it working later on. As always, please leave feedback on this release. How do you like the new icon? Do videos play better?  Thanks for testing!  Edit: Oh! Almost forgot to mention that we now have over 2000 active users and have maintained our 4.5 star rating with nearly 200 ratings. Thanks for the support, everyone :) "
Any chance you can make it so you can have easy access to the endurance run????
megaplushie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By megaplushie
@harris:  Great job! The videos work a lot better on my Eris now. After watching a few, I've had just a few freeze ups every now and then... and at one point the audio and video were out of sync with one  (the I Love Mondays for this week). Also, I don't know if I ever noticed it before, but when a video finishes, I'm left with a blank screen as it doesn't revert back to the previous page/list.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @harris said:
" Version 1.8 released! -New icon -Fixed the orientation switching bug -Video player optimizations    Forum support didn't make it to this release, I'll see what I can do to get it working later on. As always, please leave feedback on this release. How do you like the new icon? Do videos play better?  Thanks for testing!  Edit: Oh! Almost forgot to mention that we now have over 2000 active users and have maintained our 4.5 star rating with nearly 200 ratings. Thanks for the support, everyone :) "
Any chance you can make it so you can have easy access to the endurance run???? "
Already do. Hit the menu button while on videos, search videos, endurance run. It may take a while to find the endurance run stuff, though, since it's far back in the catalog.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@harris said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @harris said:
Any chance you can make it so you can have easy access to the endurance run???? "
Already do. Hit the menu button while on videos, search videos, endurance run. It may take a while to find the endurance run stuff, though, since it's far back in the catalog. "
I am being dragged to a dinner..I need some commentary 
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By harris
@megaplushie said:
" @harris:  Great job! The videos work a lot better on my Eris now. After watching a few, I've had just a few freeze ups every now and then... and at one point the audio and video were out of sync with one  (the I Love Mondays for this week). Also, I don't know if I ever noticed it before, but when a video finishes, I'm left with a blank screen as it doesn't revert back to the previous page/list. "
Good point, I'll get the videos to take you back to the list in the next release. Thanks for pointing that out.
megaplushie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By megaplushie
@harris:  Sounds good. :3
Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese
@harris: Nice updates. The new icon is awesome.  

I'm curious, harris. As an Android dev, which handset do you use?
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By harris
@RoyaleWifCheese said:
" @harris: Nice updates. The new icon is awesome.   I'm curious, harris. As an Android dev, which handset do you use? "   
I was using a G1 for quite a while, but recently google sent me a Droid :D
I love my Droid. So much better than a G1. The Nexus One seems like it would be even better, but the Droid is pretty damn close. 

Having multiple devices is nice as a developer, as it allows me to test on both of them. But really, you don't even need a phone to develop for android. The emulator is quite good and is sufficient for testing in many cases, even if having a real device is nicer. 

Also, glad you like the icon :) The last one was fugly. Sorry about that.
kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By kidman

Thanks for the update! I can see the optimizations in video player but it still isn't as smooth as it should be.. (i.e. when i download the video and play it using the regular video player in the gallery)

Thank you once again for your work!

My phone is HTC Magic (MyTouch 3G with 288MB ram) running on 1.5 with SenseUI (if that matters).

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

What is the latest word harris?

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#84  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Very nice! Hopefully the new pieces introduced here will make their way back to the iPhone version as well.

brianbeatdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By brianbeatdown

Wow, I'm jealous.  The iPhone version is complete crap.  I'm looking at possibly getting an Evo 4G when that comes out, so good to know this exists.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man: Came up with a new idea for forum support, which will hopefully make it easier to and keep updated. However Drew, poserdonut, and I are also working on another mostly unrelated project, so forum support is somewhat of a low priority overall. It may be a while until it's implemented. Sorry :(
megaplushie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By megaplushie

I'm having issues at times with the video playback on my HTC Eris. When navigating away from a video, I get the notification that the position was saved, but when I go back to it, it starts it from the beginning.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By harris
@megaplushie: I'll look into it soon.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@harris said:
" @megaplushie: I'll look into it soon. "
I get the same on the Droid. *full keyboard one*
megaplushie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By megaplushie
@harris:  Thanks! :) I'm still digging being able to get my Endurance Run fix on the go.
poserdonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By poserdonut

Harris rocks! :)

Bhouse563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bhouse563

Keep it up Harris!! I use this app everyday and it is a requirement for workouts.

Hope the new quest system didn't mess with you too bad

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93  Edited By Shasam

I too am a lover of the app. I still most of my Giant Bombing of the laptop, but when I need that quick fix it's pretty good.

subrandom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By subrandom

I was wondering if there would be some sort of profile/dashboard support. I'm not sure that is within the scope of this app or even within the site API yet but would be interested if this could be added.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Devil240Z

Finally! The truth has come! why was this never mentioned on the bombcast...

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By harris
@subrandom: Currently, there isn't any sort of user information available in the API.  

@Devil240Z: That would certainly be awesome :D
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@harris said:
" @subrandom: Currently, there isn't any sort of user information available in the API.  

@Devil240Z: That would certainly be awesome :D "
What do you plan for the next update?
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man: If there are any bugs found, we'll probably patch them up relatively fast. Other than that, feature releases may be a while from now. Eventually, once any bugs we find are ironed out and we do some optimizations, we'll leave beta and call the app final/released. Features like forum support or bar code scanning could fall anywhere on that timeline, really, we're not sure. 

I'll post on this thread when we have more specific times for anything. At this point we're mostly just monitoring for bugs using our automated crash reporting system.
AlanLUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By AlanLUFC
@harris: I have a moto droid and have been seeing some issues with the news timeline not updating since the 14th. Any reason why?? btw love the work on the app! amazing!
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By harris