Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run VI: Let's Do The Dang Thing!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Hello Duders!

Guess who's back? Back again. The Giantbomb Community Endurance Run is BACK. Tell a friend.

No Caption Provided

The Community Endurance Run is going to kick off after Unprofessional Fridays on April the 15th and run through Sunday April 17th.

Several awesome members of the Giantbomb community are going to be streaming raw, uncut, un-stepped-on videogame action on Explosiveruns.com in order to raise money for charity!

The charity we are supporting this year is Pencils of Promise, a non-profit which works with communities in developing countries around the world to build schools and change lives. One hundred percent of the funds donated online to Pencils of Promise go into building schools, training teachers, sending kids to school, and improving sanitation.

Last year we met our goal of sending 12 kids to school for a year, but we're going to up our goal cause that's how momentum works! This year we're aiming to send 16 kids to school! It only costs $250 to send a child to school for one year, so we need to raise $4,000 total. For the price of four copies of Garou: Mark of the Wolves you can send 16 kids to school for a year!

Go here to donate now!

We are going to have a number of different events, prizes, and donation incentives running all weekend so be sure to mark the GBCER on your calendar and get ready for the fun and the funding. After last year's events like Super Feet Boy, the FFIX/Shadow of the Colossus speed run showdown, Suikoden II with maximum squirrels, and several food challenges how can you not tune in!

Go here to watch the event!

There will be ongoing updates every week leading up to the event so keep checking in!

If you would like to participate in the Community Endurance Run then PM me and I’ll get you in on the action. Get #GBCER6 trending! Get hype!

Schedule (All times are in EST):

Friday:

1PM - 5AM:

@meatsofevil and friends are going to be playing Dead Rising on Infinite Mode. How long can they survive in a zombie infested mall? How much orange juice will they drink? How many Servebot heads can you have on screen at once? Watch to find the answers to these questions and more!

Directly After Unprofessional Fridays:

@thatpinguino, @rothgar, and a few other friends are going to be speed running Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles in 4 player co-op. Watch as we go for a world record!

@vash10 and friends are going to be playing Realms of the Haunting! Join in on the spooktacular!

@riostarwind is going to be kicking off the Mega Man Legends trilogy with Mega Man Legends!

@personz and friends are going to be having a beat 'em up blowout! They'll be playing Turtles in Time, River City Ransom, and bunch of other classic beat 'em ups. Watch 'em walk to the right and punch fools!

6PM - 2AM:

@blzzzrrttt is going to be playing Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle: School Girls Edition. This game is so obscure that the GB wiki doesn't even know about it! Catch the hype wave before it passes you by!

8PM - 2AM:

@amlabella is going to be playing Resident Evil HD. This is his first venture into the original Resident Evil game, so get in the chat and tell him what to do! It can only help!

8PM - 3AM:

@zombiepie is going to be playing the Final Fantasy game that raises the most money. So go vote with your dollars!

10PM - 3AM:

@flashflood_29 is going to be playing Dark Souls and exercising! You can donate to make him do reps D-Leezy style. He exercises, you're entertained, everyone wins!

Saturday:

12AM - Completion:

@personz is going to be playing Secret of Mana 2! He says he won't rest until he finishes the game, so tune in and give him some support!

9AM - 2PM:

@thatpinguino and @rothgar are going to be speed run racing again! This time @rothgar will be playing Valdis Story: Abyssal City and @thatpinguino will be playing Mass Effect. Who will finish their respective game first? Who are you rooting for?

10AM - 10PM:

@vash10 and friends are going to be playing Dark Cloud 2! Follow the adventures of wrench boy and sword girl as they traverse a magical realm! The GB wiki page also mentions a mech named Steve so that's probably great.

10AM - Completion:

@riostarwind is continuing the Mega Man Legends trilogy with The Misadventures of Tron Bonne!

12PM - 12AM:

@jeffrud and @goodspaceguy are going to be playing Final Fantasy X-2! Dress spheres! J-Pop concerts! The Gullwings! You won't want to miss this amazing game! And hey, maybe @jeffrud will find some more fan-fiction to read or a new mesh tank-top.

@jakob187 will be playing Hearthstone with a twist! He'll be playing with decks you make in chat and he will pay for his successes and failures with donations!

2PM - 6PM:

@blzzzrrttt is playing Magical Date EX! I'm sure that game is full of wholesome, Japanese, family-fun! Nothing weird about it at all.

3PM - 6PM:

@thatpinguino will be hosting a competitive games showdown between @rothgar and another one of his buddies. In order to keep the element of surprise, all I can tell you is that it involves blindfolds, multiple consoles, and a fancy suit.

3PM - 8PM:

@rorie will be playing WoW raids! He's going to be tanking each raid for the first time so give him helpful tips! Also he might take some questions!

7PM - 9PM:

@thatpinguino will be making good on last year's promise to play through all of Chocobo Racing! Join in for the story book adventures of Choco and his friends! Maybe we'll even get some multiplayer going afterwards!

8PM - 10PM:

@blzzzrrttt talks to Alex Zandra Van Chestein (@havochq) about video games and other similar topics for at least an hour. Come listen to one of the GB community's most prominent game developers talk about games and other stuff! Also buy Chariot!

8PM - 3AM:

@amlabella will be continuing his playthrough of Resident Evil HD. Maybe he'll make a Jill Sandwich!

11PM - Completion:

@nickieroonie will be playing Spelunky... WITH HIS FEET! If we raise $2,750 by Saturday night this madman is beating Olmec with his toes! What are you doing? Get donating!

Sunday:

1AM - 6AM:

@vash10 is continuing his playthrough of Dark Cloud 2! When do these people even sleep?

1PM - ?:

@zombiepie will be continuing the Final Fantasy game you select for him. Hopefully he won't go completely mad. Or hopefully he will? I don't know, I'm torn.

6AM - ?:

@thatpinguino is locking @rothgar in a room with Creatures and your donations will determine how long he stays locked in there. It's up to you how long he has to play this amazing "game".

10AM - 6PM:

@zolloz89 is playing Tales of Symphonia 2! The Tales so nice they made it twice!

10AM - Completion:

@riostarwind is finishing up the Mega Man Legends trilogy with Mega Man Legends 2!

11AM - 3AM:

@vash10 and friends are going to be playing Dark Cloud 2! Watch the exciting conclusion to the adventures of wrench boy and sword girl!

12PM - 8PM:

@amlabella is going to be playing Divinity: Original Sin co-op with a buddy! Catch that hot RPG action.

12PM - 12AM:

@jeffrud and @goodspaceguy are continuing Final Fantasy X-2! Paine! The Youth League! LeBlanc! O'akka XXIII!

9:30PM - 4AM:

@blzzzrrttt will be playing some kind of visual novel! We're not sure which one he'll be playing, but it will likely be Japanese and feature anime stylings.

Prizes (Please leave a comment with your donation stating which prize you would like your donation to go towards and your GB username so we can contact you if you win):

1 x Bastion Cold War Kid Poster signed by Greg Kasavin and Logan Cunningham of the Supergiant Games Team donated by @thatpinguino! Minimum $20 donation to enter this raffle.

1 x Mega Man Mega Buster 8GB USB Stick donated by @riostarwind! Minimum $15 donation to enter this raffle.

1 x Custom Back-lit Game Boy modded by @personz! Minimum $50 donation to enter this raffle.

1 x Lesser Dog Painted Wallet painted by @nickieroonie! You can donate $5 for a chance to win, and a max of $20 for 4 chances to win. please indicate that you're donating towards the wallet, and make sure you leave your GB handle, Twitter handle, etc so we can contact you. the name will be drawn after the event is finished.

ALSO! if you win the wallet, you'll be getting a copy of UNDERTALE + UNDERTALE Soundtrack!

ALSO ALSO! if you don't win, you still have a chance to win a copy of UNDERTALE + UNDERTALE Soundtrack! the next 4 names drawn after the winner will receive a copy of the game.

1 x Giantbomb Lost Merch Mug! This exclusive piece of forgotten merch can be yours! $5 per raffle ticket!

1 x Giantbomb Lost Merch Sweatshirt! This exclusive piece of forgotten merch can be yours! $10 per raffle ticket!

4 x Giantbomb Lost Merch Hat! These exclusive pieces of forgotten merch can be yours! $10 per raffle ticket and each ticket is eligible to win one hat!

1 x Giantbomb Lost Merch Shirt! This exclusive piece of forgotten merch can be yours! $10 per raffle ticket!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Donation Incentives:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:

You can place a bid on any name-able character's name with your donation. Simply include the name you would like in your donation comment. You can also donate to name our home town in FFCC!

Steel Battalion:

If we raise over $3000, @vash10 will play Steel Battalion next year for the GBCER! Make him buy one of those dumb controllers!

Foot-Lunky:

If we raise over $2,750 by 11PM, @nickieroonie will beat Spelunky with his feet! Last year he conquered Super Feet Boy, this year it's on to a new challenge!

These toes are so last year.
These toes are so last year.

@nickieroonie has also agreed to paint his toes for charity again this year. For the low, low price of a $10 donation, you can ask @nickieroonie to paint one of his toes with the pattern of your choosing. There is a strict limit of 10 toes so be sure to get your donation in early and leave a comment with your donation describing the pattern you want!

Mass Effect:

You can donate to choose Commander Shepard's name and gender for @thatpinguino's Mass Effect speed run. Simply include the name and gender you would like in your donation comment.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City:

For every $1000 the charity raises before the run starts, @rothgar will play on a harder difficulty. ($1000 = Hard Mode, $2000 = Veteran Mode, $3000 = God Slayer Mode). For the record, he has never attempted God Slayer mode. He also has game play incentives. $100 - Defeat all optional bosses. $200 - Get S rank all bosses. $300 - No “Retry” allowed. $400 - Get 100% game completion. @thatpinguino needs your help to win this race, so please slow Rothgar down.

You can also choose his character from one of these weirdos:

Wyatt – Strength/Agility – Uses big swords, super high hit combo strings, and high offensive magic to rush down and blow people up.

Reina – Agility/Intelligence – Relies on complex combo strings, assists, and self-buff magic.

Vladyn – Agility/Luck – Summons a flying demon kitty, has the fanciest mobility, shoots guns, best dialogue, and has a possessed demon arm. He also starts in a different spot in the game.

Gilda – Intelligence/Luck – dragon lady, who flies around, uses only magic, fills the screen with hot death like a bullet hell shooter.

Ranking of Fantasies or the Final Fantasy of Your Choosing:

@zombiepie has a dilemma that he need your help to solve! He doesn't know what sort of games he should play for the GBCER. You see, he owns every PC Final Fantasy game which puts him in the unique position of being able to scientifically rank every FF game a la Ranking of Fighters. However, he is also well known for suffering through all of the madness in Final Fantasy VIII and he's unlikely to discover the madness in any individual FF game if he only plays each one for a short amount of time. So go ahead and donate to have your voice heard! Include a vote for ZP's fate in the comment of your donation! If ranking of fantasies raises the most money, he will play all of the PC FF games and rank them on a white-board! If an individual FF game raises the most money, he will play that game for as long as he can stomach!

Live Reading of the Mortal Kombat Movie Novelization:

@vash10 was lucky enough to find a copy of the novelization of the first Mortal Kombat movie! During his steams he and a friend are going to read a chapter for every $50 we raise! So go ahead, tuck yourself into bed, and get ready for a calming story about your buddy Liu Kang and his ability to snap necks.

Hearthstone:

@jakob187 will play with a deck you create. He's playing sets of ten games in Ranked. If he has a majority of losses, he donates $5.00 to the charity. If he has a majority of wins, he donates $10.00. People who donate $5.00 can challenge me to a duel. If I lose the duel, I donate $5.00 to charity.

Creatures:

Every dollar you donate towards making @rothgar play creatures will extend his time by 2 minutes. He will keep playing creatures until the money dries up or he breaks.

Dark Souls:

For @flashflood_29's incentive, he's gonna take inspiration from Dave Leezy and go with doing a rep for every dollar of whatever exercise the donator specifies, which will be cashed in upon either every death or 30 minutes.

Get To Know The Runners:

@thatpinguino has been interviewing many of the participants of the GBCER in the lead up to this year's event. So if you want to get to know the folks you'll be watching and what they're playing this year, feel free to check out the interviews

Deep Interview: Get to Know the Endurance Runners: Vash10 and AmLabella

Deep Interview: Get to Know the Endurance Runners: JeffRud and GoodSpaceGuy

Deep Interview: Get to Know the Endurance Runners: Nickieroonie and Bollard

Deep Interview: Get to Know the Endurance Runners: ZombiePie

Deep Interview: Get to Know the Endurance Runners: MeatsOfEvil and Blzzzrrttt

Deep Interview: Get to Know the Endurance Runners: Matt Rorie

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I guess now is the time to let people know how excited I am for this right?! I've been casually streaming every day since the start of February (and I'm still doing so, by the way) to prepare myself! I'm looking forward to playing a bunch of games and, hopefully, raising some money in the process!

I don't have any incentives/prizes to announce right now but if you're reading this and kinda want to know a bit more about the event then I've got some helpful links for you!

@thatpinguino has been doing interviews with some of the GBCER regulars and you can find those on the Deep Listens website or on his blog page on this very website! I've listened to them and I think they're pretty good!

There's also a bit of archived content from the previous events out there. Unfortunately, it's not all in one place but I've taken the time to find most(?) of it and I'll throw you some links if you want to see what we've been up to in years past.

First off, the previously mentioned Super Feet Boy can be found here and the Suikoden II playthrough can be found here. I've also made some playlists on Youtube of all the stuff I could find on there. Those include: a FFVIII speedrun, some tabletop RPG stuff in the form of Pathfinder and a few developer interviews, among other things! You can find both of those here and here!

That's all the major stuff that I could think of that isn't lost to time but I'm sure there's a lot more stuff out there that I couldn't find or just don't know about. If you participated previously and saved some videos of it, feel free to post 'em here!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

I've updated the main thread with some of our initial announcements. we'll be making more announcements daily as the event rapidly approaches! Get hype for April 15th ya'll!

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#4 riostarwind  Moderator

I'm glad I saw this post now instead of the last possible moment like I did last year. My somewhat unofficial support consisted of playing through Freedom Planet and Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure. If anyone wants to see said content check it out here. I'll be willing to join in again this year but not sure what game I'll be playing yet.

Isknisark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hey folks, I'll be joining in again this year!

A friend will be joining me and we're going to play Realms of the Haunting to completion after UPF. Once we've finished up with the FMV FPS/Adventure game portion, I'll be playing Dark Cloud 2 for the rest of the weekend.

I'm adding the donation incentive that if we hit at least $3000 I'm going to commit to playing the original Steel Battalion on next year's GBCER. I was able to track down the full controller and that seems like a real dumb thing to do. I'll set up a camera so you can watch me try and operate the whole setup.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@riostarwind and @vash10, your events have been added to the calendar. I'm glad to see some Mega Man and FMV coverage this year!

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Man, how would I get involved with this to stream? I would be available from 6pm on Friday through Sunday at 6pm. Is it too late?

I could do nothing but play a bunch of free-to-play games (Warframe, Marvel Heroes, League of Legends, Hearthstone)...or I could do a solo play of Grim Dawn (which I've yet to actually play at all yet) or Stardew Valley (also haven't played any of it).

I don't know if it's too late to get involved or not. If it is, I'd love to get involved in the next one if possible.

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 ZombiePie  Staff

I regret my life choices.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11 MattyFTM  Moderator

I regret my life choices.

Nekopara.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: speak for yourself. You don't support Newcastle.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 ZombiePie  Staff

@shindig said:

@zombiepie: speak for yourself. You don't support Newcastle.

Oh...I guess it would be worth mentioning that @mattyftm roots for Sunderland A.F.C., and I'm a Liverpool fan myself.

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nickieroonie
There is no way to stop this madness.
There is no way to stop this madness.

hey yall, i've painted a wallet for the fundraising event!

it's Lesser Dog from UNDERTALE!

you can donate $5 for a chance to win, and a max of $20 for 4 chances to win. please indicate that you're donating towards the wallet, and make sure you leave your GB handle, Twitter handle, etc so we can contact you. the name will be drawn after the event is finished.

ALSO! if you win the wallet, you'll be getting a copy of UNDERTALE + UNDERTALE Soundtrack!

ALSO ALSO! if you don't win, you still have a chance to win a copy of UNDERTALE + UNDERTALE Soundtrack! the next 4 names drawn after the winner will receive a copy of the game.

if you can't donate, you can still help by retweeting me

the event starts next weekend, get excited!!

edit: made a reddit post for this wallet, upvotes would be appreciated!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jesus_Phish
thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@jesus_phish: It is a late entry and we need to raise over $119 today.

mintyice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I might casually stream some Dark Souls III and The Division this weekend. No real set schedule, but I'll update this as it happens.

https://www.twitch.tv/mintyice

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Seeing the donations hit almost $1,200 before the majority of streams even started makes my heart swoon! Holy crap! Never underestimate the generosity and greatness of people.

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far!

Descends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Descends
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Additional raffle item: Gift basket provided from Bits and Pixels, a local gaming store from the heart of Richmond. Check out this sweet stuff! Check out how I can't rotate pictures! As there is so much great stuff in here a donation of $80 is required to enter for this prize. That shirt is really cool. CLAIMED!

Items in the basket include:

-The basket

-Medal of Honor art book

-Halo Elite action figure

-NES cart shirt

-Some SNK King of Fighters looking game (the only english on it says "Road to the Final Victory")

-Gears of War dog tag

-Prototype 2 James Heller action figure (factory sealed)

-F.E.A.R.

-Halo 3 Essentials

-An awesome sandblasted cup

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we're starting now! come watch and donate

http://www.explosiveruns.com/

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

Their should be athread with individual links. Vlicking on "watch here" is a little overwhelming and takes awhile to load.

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have a couple of last minute things you can donate towards!

Steam Keys!

Somewhere around 50 Steam games from this list are up for grabs! If you want a chance to win then you must: donate at least $1, mention what game they want in the comment field and leave a form of contact (twitter handle/Steam id/GB Username or something!). One game per donation, so if you want more than one game then you should donate multiple times. Sorry about that!

Flywrench Colorless Run

If we raise $3,000 by Sunday (before 8PM EST) then I will play through the entirety of Flywrench in a colorless palette (all white on a black background).

You can also donate towards a callsign for me to use during the playthrough (8 character maximum, suggestion with the highest donation total by the deadline will be used), custom text that can be put into the game (10 slots maximum, custom text can be any length, please keep it clean!) and anyone that donates towards Flywrench will get their names put into the end credits of the game!

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've just decided to jump in and show my support for this cause and our great community. I'll be casually streaming Enter the Gungeon from my PS4 for awhile tonight, and probably some more tomorrow.

Whittico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@descends: Hey, I actually work at Bits and Pixels! We really hope you like that gift basket we put together.

The SNK fighting game was an addition of mine, and it's actually a Japanese version of Fatal Fury 3: Road to the Final Victory for the NeoGeo! Thanks again for letting us help out with this, we'd be more than happy to do it again!

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nickieroonie

for those who missed the spelunky run, here it is:

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/982468

and for those who donated for painted toenails, here they are (kirby / blue / eye / meta knight / penguin / pink dog drawn by toddler / lightning bolt)... a lot of them were short notice, sorry they're pretty bad!!

No Caption Provided

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

You guys broke him.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By fattony12000
Loading Video...

We did it! We beat 100%! Well done y'all! $4,200 raised so far!

<>

And now here's me...

Loading Video...

I'm trying to finish MGSV over this long weekend, donate and let me know and get yourself a free video game (bit.ly/fatgames)!