Giant Bomb Community! I could use some feedback.

monkyofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By monkyofdoom

Hey guys, I recently decided to do some Quick Look style videos. Mostly just to get some video making experience (and maybe something to help me get a Whiskey Internship :P ) But I wanted to get some feedback on my first video, it is a look at FEAR 3

I want to know how you guys think it looks, if the audio is too unbalanced at all, if you guys think I should do maybe like an intro (kind of like the GB Video Feature intro) and just any other feedback you guys could lend me would be awesome. Thanks Duders!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

sure, what the hell, i'll watch it and tell you what i think

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Maybe it's just me, but time and time again, I find myself yelling at these videos for one reason: do more obscure games! Highlight some of the games that nobody has heard of. Not to be insulting, but Giant Bomb and the other big sites have F3AR (wow, that looks fucking stupid) covered.

monkyofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monkyofdoom

@Video_Game_King: Yeah actually that was another thing I wanted to ask people, would you guys want to see more Throwback type of games? I can really only do PC footage at the point so I would love to do some of the more crazy indie games or older games. I mostly did Fear 3 because it is newish and would be easy to explain while playing.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Draugen

Do an endurance run of I-War.

Do it!

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By FritzDude

Do Hitman games. Like a retrospective.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Get a friend to do this with you, or kidnap one of the GB stuff and force them to do it with you.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@monkyofdoom

Go ahead. Two people have already directly recommended older shit, so why the hell not?
monkyofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By monkyofdoom

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Get a friend to do this with you, or kidnap one of the GB stuff and force them to do it with you.

Yeah, right off the bat I knew that not having 2 people would be less interesting. I will try and record one of these next time I have a friend over to see how that goes.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By WickedCestus

As I always say about Youtube videos: sound excited! You need charisma to be successful; no one wants to watch someone talk like they are bored. Just watch some of the top-rated Youtube people out there, yeah some of them are a bit annoying, but even the non-annoying ones try to at least sound excited because it engages the audience. Your analysis and actual information is fine, but you need to work on your presentation otherwise it's not very interesting. A decent start though! I don't want to discourage you, I just want you to get better! 

EDIT: If you want a great example, watch some Day9. Even if you don't care about Starcraft at all, just watch a Funday Monday and listen to him speak. His excitement really carries through his voice and it makes the viewer excited about the video too!

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@monkyofdoom: I was kind of hoping you would go with my second option... But good luck with the videos, I'll keep an eye out for them.

monkyofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By monkyofdoom

@supermike6: I am gonna chalk that one up to nerves. I have always been kind of a shy person so I usually am a bit reserved but I will try to amp it up a bit for the next one.

@Mr_Skeleton: If I was able to kidnap a GB member it would have already happened and we would be making videos from a small room in an undisclosed location.

Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback, keep it coming. BTW no complaints about the technical parts of the video so far? Is everything looking and sounding okay?

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Malphye

Had some time to kill while I ate a bowl of cereal and gave it a view. I don't mean any disrespect but after I finished my meal 5 minutes in I didn't bother to watch anymore.

The other posters already pointed out what I feel. Have someone else to bounce off of and get more into it. Audio and Video seem fine to me.

monkyofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By monkyofdoom

@Delphye: No disrespect taken, if you guys don't like it that is what I need to hear that way I can improve on it. Glad to hear everything is sound from a technical standpoint though, one less thing to worry about.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Dylabaloo

@monkyofdoom: More obscure games! I'd suggest having a look a other Let players and try to have a more friendly/interested tone, I got the sense you sounded bored and maybe you were cause F.E.A.R 3 looks boring! So try play games you really dig, old games from your childhood maybe? I stumbled across this guy while looking for footage of a pretty obscure game (I have no mouth and I must scream) and he was just great, knew what he was talking about and was entertaining. That's another thing! Know the games your playing, nobody wants to watch a guy fumble around a game for 30 odd minutes. Keep it up!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16  Edited By natetodamax

@monkyofdoom: If you needed another person, I've been thinking of doing quick look-type videos pretty soon (got an HD PVR so I can record Xbox games in 1080p HD quality). We could try to figure something out if you wanted.

monkyofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monkyofdoom

@Dylabaloo: Thanks for the suggestions!

@natetodamax: Yeah, if we could figure out some way to do Skype recording or something like that it could be pretty rad. Hit me up in a PM, I don't mind being the question asker while you play games :)

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By PixelPrinny
@Video_Game_King said:
Maybe it's just me, but time and time again, I find myself yelling at these videos for one reason: do more obscure games! Highlight some of the games that nobody has heard of. Not to be insulting, but Giant Bomb and the other big sites have F3AR (wow, that looks fucking stupid) covered.
Psst, what's stopping you from making such videos?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
@PixelPrinny

Sound issues, mostly. Also, I don't know of anybody who would want to do this with me. I'd ask, but I'm not the type of person to start things.
Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I definitely support the notion of doing more obscure games. They would be useful if you were covering stuff that was not top tier (not that FEAR3 is top tier, but you know what I mean).