Giant Bomb (East) is hiring a Senior news editor

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AMyggen

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/29267214

Job description

The Senior News Editor will bolster Giant Bomb's day-to-day news coverage and will be responsible for assigning work both internally and externally, managing freelancers and budgets, peer-editing that work to meet our standards, and entering external contributions into our content management system. The Senior News Editor will also be expected to provide day-to-day coverage of the gaming industry.

The news department will be tasked with making and breaking stories, as well as reporting on the latest happenings around the games industry. Reports will be conveyed by text, via audio podcast, and on video, so experience in all of these areas is a must. Our ideal candidate should be capable of self-producing a diverse range of content both in the field and at home.

Beyond covering the daily news cycle, the editor will have the opportunity to meet and interview developers and executives throughout the game industry, as well as cover some of the biggest events in the gaming world, including the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Any hire would also be expected to travel on occasion to participate in a variety of external events.

Additional editorial work, such as appearances in Quick Looks and writing reviews, would also be a part of this role. A wide base of gaming knowledge from the biggest of the big budget releases to small, art-house-style projects is expected. As this position is on the New York team, the ability to assist our existing New York crew with occasional production/control room help is also expected.

A thorough knowledge of and appreciation for video games, previous journalism education/experience, and a college degree are all desired qualities. We also rely largely on peer-editing, so an ability to accept and give constructive criticism is expected. Japanese language skills are a plus, but not a requirement.

Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the premier online content network for information and entertainment. With more than 250 million people visiting its properties each month, it is a top 10 Web property globally and a top 5 Web property in the U.S. in terms of unique video viewers. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSNews.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com and Last.fm, span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and gaming.

Knowledge of the Japanese language (written and spoken)

5+ years of experience in games journalism
Established track record of presenting video, news, and features content on video games
Experience with video production/distribution
High standards of editorial excellence, and a proven ability to lead a team that can deliver it
Leader with history of success working across organizational boundaries
Extensive contacts in games industry
On-camera and/or video programming experience
Podcast or other audio programming experience
Passion for video games
Recognized expert in gaming media
Substantial network of writers and editors
Must successfully pass a background check
In addition, CBS will be guided by applicable federal, state and local laws when considering for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.

Didn't see this posted here yet. Lock if old.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

You must have 5+ years in games journalism and you must be a recognized expert in games media to get the job.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@corevi said:

You must have 5+ years in games journalism and you must be a recognized expert in games media to get the job.

It's Senior editor for a reason :)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cool, man. Seeing that new office, they're being treated like kings so this position is the first step towards a life of luxury.

Let's not flip out if they choose someone you didn't want this time!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

No chance of them hiring a relative unknown, then? Bummer.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By hassun

Interesting. Does Cara Ellison know Japanese?

Good to see more (budget) room opening for extra staff though. I hope they can keep on growing without losing people for a good long time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ripelivejam

yaay for more GBEAST people but more written article-type people is something i thought CBSI was moving away from.

Also knowledge of Japanese?? We already have at least three full time anime editors!

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

Interesting.

Anybody who knows Japanese come to mind? The folks from 8-4, a couple of folks at US gamer and Kris Kohler from Wired are the only ones I know of and they aren't going anywhere.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The focus on managing freelancers and external content is interesting, and possibly indicates an expansion in at least the range on amount of content.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope mthis leads to a weekly Giant Beastcast :D

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's cool they're bolstering up the staff on the east coast. I know Alex does news as well apart from Patrick for Giant Bomb so I'm hoping this doesn't mean for his departure. Guns of Navarro was some of my favorite weekly written pieces here at Giant Bomb. I know everything is transitioning to video content but nothing ever beats saving the written content through instapaper and reading them during a long commute.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

Wait, why do people think this may lead to Patrick leaving? I'm pretty sure he's recently found himself a studio to work from or something.

Also, they have to hire a woman for this, don't they? I envision flaming bags of shit being flung at the NY CBSi windows if not.

GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GiantLizardKing

@yummylee said:

Wait, why do people think this may lead to Patrick leaving? I'm pretty sure he's recently found himself a studio to work from or something.

Also, they have to hire a woman for this, don't they? I envision flaming bags of shit being flung at the NY CBSi windows if not.

If it isn't a woman the internet's head will fucking explode.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Probably because Patrick is on his own and maybe CBSi don't want to have him solo out in Chicago when they just let a bunch of people go and merged offices together in NY and the role sounds like what his role already is. I'm not saying that it means Patrick is leaving, but that would be a rational reason to me if he does leave.

And no, they don't have to, if they don't then there'll be some fuss on it here for a little while, like a week or two, mostly contained to one thread and then that'll be that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Very cool!

If GiantBomb could land Cara Ellison (assuming she'd even want the job), man would that be super exciting! She's super talented and is doing the most unique stuff in Video game Journalism these days.

And hopefully GiantBomb eventually starts hiring some junior positions too, to help bring new people and fresh perspectives into the field.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#22  Edited By Slag

@yummylee said:

Probably this position has the same title as his and he is the one physically isolated from everyone else (making it harder to appear in shared Quick Looks etc).

Personally I don't see why GB can't have 2 senior news editors if they want to, but it's reasonable to see why the inference could be made eventhough I don't think there is any actual evidence to think that is what is happening.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it's not someone "new", it would be pretty cool of them to get someone on staff who'll talk more about cool news coming out of Japan. There are a lot of really weird, interesting games that I never hear about on this site and it's kind of disappointing... granted, those are also mostly the same games the staff here seems to hate, so there's probably a good reason.

BobDobbsJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like a GameSpot type job posting. Not Giant Bomb.

Managing Freelancers? Knowledge of Japanese?

The merger is upon us.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

@yummylee said:

Probably this position has the same title as his and he is the one physically isolated from everyone else (making it harder to appear in shared Quick Looks etc).

Personally I don't see why GB can't have 2 senior news editors if they want to, but it's reasonable to see why the inference could be made.

Hmm, I suppose. I guess Patrick of all people would also still be able to flourish outside of GB at that. Still, I can't imagine he'll be leaving anytime soon. If anything I'd say he's only becoming more entrenched in things with each year, especially if he really is getting himself his own studio to work from.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is ridiculous that people are saying that any potential hire MUST check some boxes on the diversity form. They should hire the most qualified person, period.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yummylee

@corevi said:
@joshwent said:

I hope, Hope, HOPE they hire a non straight white male for the position.

(so people could maybe shut up about all of that nonsense)

(not that they will... but it'd be something at least)

They should just hire whoever is most qualified. Who cares what gender, race or sexuality they are.

People do, as evidenced by the controversy that erupted around Dan and Jason's hiring. I don't really have any picks as to who I wish they would hire really (though I was enthusiastic of the idea of Tara Long joining before she decided to leave the industry entirely), but comon... it has been exceedingly obvious that for a surprising number of people on here, the site getting a new perspective related to someone's gender/race/sexuality is important.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Giant Bomb continues to ignore the internet on this matter and hires the person that's best suited for the job regardless of gender, race, religion, or what have you. 90% of the people complaining about such things aren't worth listening to as they are usually arguing for the very thing they're fighting against in the first place.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gaff

This sounds like a GameSpot type job posting. Not Giant Bomb.

Managing Freelancers? Knowledge of Japanese?

The merger is upon us.

The weird thing is... if no one is leaving (which is highly likely), Giant Bomb would have a larger editorial team than Gamespot US with this new position. Or perhaps they already do?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt people give up a Kotaku gig easily, but it would be pretty rad if they got Tina Amini, given that Alex already has a rapport with her and she already lives in the area.

GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GiantLizardKing
@carryboy said:

I guess that might be the case for some, would we be able to do a poll to find out the general consensus of the community or would that cause to many issues?

Not until they hire a new engineer :/

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Corevi

@carryboy said:

I guess that might be the case for some, would we be able to do a poll to find out the general consensus of the community or would that cause to many issues?

Not until they hire a new engineer :/

Calling all engineers. @snide@alexisg@edgework@rorie

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Carryboy
enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bisonhero: This seems unlikely. If I remember correctly she is the next most senior editor under Stephen Totilo over there. Would be a super weird jump.

Senior News Editor is literally Patricks position, on a site that doesn't emphasize news, I hope this has nothing to do with him and it's just more expansion. Of course, nobody at GB is talking about it yet, no reason to jump to conclusions.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By flasaltine

I guarantee the position has already been filled.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Please to be Cara Ellison.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enemylandlord said:

Senior News Editor is literally Patricks position, on a site that doesn't emphasize news, I hope this has nothing to do with him and it's just more expansion. Of course, nobody at GB is talking about it yet, no reason to jump to conclusions.

Eh, there are multiple senior editors on the site already. I think the title applies more to paygrade than that person's actual place in the hierarchy.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Cara Ellison is interested in the position, she would be a fantastic addition to the team.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Patrick genuinely loves daily news, but I would love to see him go fully into written and video essays/editorials. Wonder if that is what is happening...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Corevi

@enemylandlord said:

Eh, there are multiple senior editors on the site already. I think the title applies more to paygrade than that person's actual place in the hierarchy.

I think everybody on staff is a Senior X.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No chance of them hiring a relative unknown, then? Bummer.

There's a lot of "unknowns" who have been in the industry for 5+ years.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@conmulligan: I agree that worrying about Patrick is more an emotional response than a logical one.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By TheHT

Giant Bomb gettin bigger! Again!

Awesome!

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By afabs515

I guess you could say that Giant Bomb has been going through some pretty... explosive growth this year!

...I'll leave now.

#HireODwyer2014jk