@eyesandsmiles: premium on this site, no ads! They gotta get paid somehow

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MillaJ

As opposed to other channels? YouTube is built around delivering ads.

Thankfully, it's not difficult to block ads on YouTube if you don't want to see them.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nextlander, Jeff Gerstmann channels also filled with ads.

But who cares. That's how youtube works.

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Psst. Install an ad blocker.)

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, they're optional anyway. I saw about 5 seconds of a youtube ad years ago and then blocked them, it's really very easy to never see them.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I wanna say some of this isn't in GB's control. Youtube slaps ads on everything and not every channel can control that. Previously this was a problem when Youtube decided every channel needed a ton of new ads.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Try listening to the Fire Escape cast on Spotify, it's utterly unbearable. And that's with Spotify premium. Ads in the middle of podcasts are so disgusting, especially when it's just a side project. It put me off listening to the FE cast alltogether, cause sometimes the ads would just cut in mid-word, and last for 5 minutes

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: same. The breaking point was when I heard inserted political campaign ads for local Republican anti-vax monsters inserted mid-sentence. It got to be too much at that point.

I think there has been a weird trend recently of inserted ads showing up at like 4 or 5 times the previous frequency last year, and I mean everywhere. My Fitness Pal app has gotten so rotten with them that literally everything I log with it pushes an ad interruption.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I wanna say some of this isn't in GB's control. Youtube slaps ads on everything and not every channel can control that. Previously this was a problem when Youtube decided every channel needed a ton of new ads.

Yup. Plus in certain circumstances, Youtube will take away any control of monetization from the channel owner, especially in cases where the video contains copyright material that allows the copyright owner some or all of the ad revenue. I remember Nextlander got dinged for this with a video a while back for having copyright materials and since the copyright owner controlled monetization of the video, the video was crammed full of ads.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

If you want to keep supporting Youtubers without an ad-blocker, you could always sign up for premium. Zero ads, and creators still get paid.

If that's not financially viable, I'd say an adblocker's the way to go.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to watch the Hyrule Hustle on Youtube yesterday and was getting 2 minutes of ads for every seven minutes watch.

Disgraceful

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

I tried to watch the Hyrule Hustle on Youtube yesterday and was getting 2 minutes of ads for every seven minutes watch.

Disgraceful

Aren't you the one that for months was complaining that all of their content was behind a paywall?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@sombre: Based on your previous complaint about not being able to handle even just a couple of mid-podcast ads (that are easily skippable by just hitting the skip ahead button a few times in basically any podcast player), it seems like your tolerance for ads is far lower than most people.

Just out of curiosity, I loaded up the Hyrule Hustle video on YouTube, and I'm not seeing any amount of ads that seems overly egregious or outside of what I've come to expect on YouTube. GB doesn't have full control over that anyway, so you'd kinda have to take it up with YouTube themselves...or just get a working ad-blocker or pay for YouTube premium.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I realized I watched 10 times more stuff on Youtube than most of the streaming services and cancelled a lot of them to easily cover the cost of YouTube Premium. Ad free everywhere. Especially helpful because I look up YouTube tutorials for a million little things and don't want to wait through a 30 second ad for a 90-120 second how to on replacing my car's mirror caps or where to find X setting in iOS, etc.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By csl316

Youtube in general has like a million ads. I noticed GB occasionally gets them out of the way early on a longer stream.

It's annoying but hey, all their content is free now.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's that bad, to be honest. It find ad-rolls are much worse depending on what you're watching on. Using the youtube app on the Playstation 5 seems to be pretty ad-heavy but I'm also pausing those videos way more.

I always think pausing regularly like that influences ad frequency.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

I would also like to put myself in team Too Many Ads. I've pretty much stopped watching Twitch because of it and I also don't watch every GB video anymore like I used to, because there are ads every five minutes without fail.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daavpuke: Just FYI, there's an open-source ad blocker for Twitch called "Twitch Adblock" that works pretty well. It's in both the Firefox and Chrome extension libraries. uBlock Origin, while effective for YouTube, doesn't handle Twitch on its own very well.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i never see an ad on my pc on youtube . i have a combo of ublock origin , adblock plus , and adguard adblocker extensions in my chrome . idk why anyone Wouldn't use an adblocker at this point in internet life , i hate using my phone for anything cause all the ads you get in alot of places . if you wanna support ppl there are usually better ways to do it than watching ads.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sombre said:

Try listening to the Fire Escape cast on Spotify, it's utterly unbearable. And that's with Spotify premium. Ads in the middle of podcasts are so disgusting, especially when it's just a side project. It put me off listening to the FE cast alltogether, cause sometimes the ads would just cut in mid-word, and last for 5 minutes

i'm a bit late on this one but have you tried podbay (dot) fm thats what i use to listen to podcasts outside of the ones on the site here it works pretty well , i don't get random ads that aren't actually part of the podcast itself its where i listen to nextlander FE jeff and waypoint stuff . theres also a moblie app but i don't listen to podcasts on the go usually to know how it is.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't get an AdBlocker on the Fire Stick is the prob

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MillaJ

@sombre: There are ways to do it. If you just want to block YouTube ads, the simplest solution would be something like SmartTubeNext. It's a custom YouTube app with built-in adblocking that you can install on Android devices (including the Fire TV stick). Haven't tried it myself since I don't really need it in my situation, but it looks easy enough to install that it could be worth a try.

Symbyosys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB Premium + Bomb Cyclone app for me

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta love a thread announcing the pride with which people use adblockers in-between complaining about premium videos behind a paywall.

How do y'all think creatives/artists get paid???

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Efesell

@curseofthewise: You'll often find said creatives on the side of blocking because a lot of times the very frequent ads are not put there by choice.

Twitch is particularly egregious about this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to imagine the staff don't see a cent of that ad revenue. They'll have salaries but it that ad revenue will be one of the metrics Red Ventures judges performance by. I don't adblock, for what it's worth. It's just part of the process, for me.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MillaJ

@curseofthewise: That argument doesn't get you as far as you'd like. It's not the end user, nor even the creatives, that determined the internet needs to be a shitty ad-infested place. And I don't accept the implication that it's ethically/morally required for anyone who wants to use the internet to stare at ads every second they're on it and just accept things as is. I'm sure the platforms and advertising corporations would love that, though.

Edit: And as far as I can tell, no one in this thread at least is complaining about Premium content.

Casse1berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: When I use SpotifyI download the episode I want, turn off data, and hit the play button. I get no ads. Haven't tried it with the Fire Escape Cast though.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's why I pay for YouTube premium. Makes YouTube 100 times better to use.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@millaj: The OP has been complaining about it in just about every thread they're in.

And I'm not saying you must accept the ads, I'm saying that there are plenty of alternatives and laying it at the feet of the creators, who have ZERO control over it, is just more pointless whinging.

I'm certainly thrilled to know how y'all think creatives SHOULD get paid if adblockers and non-payment becomes the norm, but then we get into bigger debates about social safety nets and government funding the arts, and I doubt that goes anywhere productive on a videogame website's forum.

But seriously, for how sick everyone is talking about it, I'd LOVE to hear some solutions other than "get another job, proles."

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also THIS. THIS. THIS.

I don't know why this isn't more standard, it's truly not THAT expensive, it eradicates all the ads, AND creators get more from your views. It's win/win/win, though I understand that not everyone can afford an extra $15/month, which is why I list a bunch of alternatives.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Ginormous76
@curseofthewise said:
@mrgreenman said:

Also THIS. THIS. THIS.

I don't know why this isn't more standard, it's truly not THAT expensive, it eradicates all the ads, AND creators get more from your views. It's win/win/win, though I understand that not everyone can afford an extra $15/month, which is why I list a bunch of alternatives.

$15/month is a lot, especially to just remove ads. $15/month is more than Hulu no ads (which actually is about to jump to $15), Netflix, Disney+, Peacock, Apple TV+, Paramount+, and others. It's the same price as HBO Max no ads. All of these other services unlock tons of content to watch. Youtube Premium... removes ads.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For $15 a month I want proper original programming with it. Stuff I can only get with that monthly slice. Removing ads doesn't add value, to me. It's a convenience, not an extra.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah YouTube premium is not a good service or anything it’s very much a thing I have because one day I said “Fine, you win.”

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By spacemanspiff00

@efesell: I think its a good service if you're like me and use YT a lot. I feel good about supporting creators in some way and I get no ads and other features. I also dropped Spotify for Youtube music. Spotify(last time I used it) has terrible library customization after they nuked everyone's libraries in favor of following artists and making playlists. The other thing I like about YT music is that if the service itself doesn't have what you're looking for it will bring up videos from YT proper, if available, within the app. And the whole shabang costs me only a couple bucks more than Spotify.

EDIT: Where are people getting 15 bucks for YT Premium? I am in Canada and still only pay 12 bucks/mo. Also, you do get more than no ads since it also includes other features like playing videos with screen off(Yes I know it used to be a non-premium feature) and YT music.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curseofthewise: I'm locked in at $10 as I was a paying member back when it was new.

Avatar image for inspectorfowler
inspectorfowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YT Premium is a relative gamechanger.

We keep our family plan with it because my wife teaches elementary school music and frequently uses videos of ballets, orchestra performances, folk music performances, etc. She can’t afford to have a weird or questionable ad pop up before or during a video (not to mention it just seems cheap and weird to show ads to kids).

We pay $15 for that and for both of us (and my parents) to have ad-free YT and also get YT Music (which isn’t great but rarely doesn’t have the music I want) I’m fine with that.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curseofthewise said:
@mrgreenman said:

Also THIS. THIS. THIS.

$15/month is a lot, especially to just remove ads. $15/month is more than Hulu no ads (which actually is about to jump to $15), Netflix, Disney+, Peacock, Apple TV+, Paramount+, and others. It's the same price as HBO Max no ads. All of these other services unlock tons of content to watch. Youtube Premium... removes ads.

To be faiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyah: you also gain a music player ad-free with damn near every recorded song in existence. Lots of people play for things like Napster or Spotify when YouTube Premium is right there, you can watch plenty of content on other channels ad-free with it, and if you're a huge consumer of things like GB content or other Youtubers. If it's affecting your enjoyment THIS much, it seems very worth the money.

Hulu's also weird because you CAN absolutely pay more to REMOVE ads without gaining any further access. Plus they drop content like crazy.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@curseofthewise: Difference between Hulu no ads & Hulu with ads is $7. I would likely pay Youtube $7 a month to remove ads and opt out of this music player you mentioned that I would never use. HBO max no ads vs. ads is a $5 difference. This is an amount I would definitely pay Youtube for no ads. That feels like a fair number.