Giant Bomb hires Dan Ryckert and Jason Oestreicher

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Welcome to the Bomb, new duders! Can't wait to see what you bring to the site.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Congratulations! Dan seems fun from the wrestling podcast. Hopefully they both shine in their new place.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#153  Edited By Yummylee

I have little experience in seeing what either of these guys get up to, but that only makes me all the more curious to witness how they fit into things. I'm admittedly a little disappointed that it was as predictable as I expected it would be--with them hiring a couple of old friends--and only furthers my opinion that posting ''we're hiring!'' on the forumswas rather mean spirited. Nonetheless, I'm still plenty willing to give these guys a shot.

Also, it appears that Samantha Allen lady has gone through something of a meltdown over all this... even going as far as to tell someone to ''go fuck yourself'' for suggesting that these new guys were the most qualified. I've never particularly cared for her very much to begin with, but her reactions to all of this has only continued to cement her as someone who's clearly not worth the time.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm very happy to hear this. Congratulations to Dan and Jason. Now to listen to their first bombcast.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#159  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I'm personality ridiculously excited by them joining the team and I think they are more than capable of providing new and interesting personalities and opinions.

GLHB AND CONGRATS DUDERS <>

Olqavtoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Welcome to the site new duders!

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By Giefcookie

Great to have some new duders aboard! First Bombcast appearance was solid, hopefully we get Dan's QL debut soon.

I've never been much of a Game Informer follower but these videos with Dan and his dad have always been great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXhCkkx8q1k&list=PLB48C10BB584A0D4C

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#164  Edited By audioBusting

Yay! Super excited for future video content! ...Is it time to ask for a new Endurance Run yet?

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: Watch the latest Jars episode with Jeff, he talks about NOT revisiting those old series of videos, since it's a "hey this works lets do it" and not new content.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#166  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Congrats to Dan and Jason! If that latest podcast is any indication of what's to come, the site's future looks even bigger and brighter. Color me excited.

cabbagesensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Welcome to Giant Bomb Dan and Jason!

Ett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

welcome.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to have some new people on board! Looking forward to their contributions to the site. :D

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Welcome aboard guys!

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome!

Listening to the podcast, I'm having trouble telling who's who. Sounds like one guy doing different voices. But this is the first time I've ever heard either of them, so I'll just have to give it some time!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome Dan and Jason. I'm not really familiar with either of you, but I'm certainly looking forward to it!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By TruthTellah

The more I reflect on it, the more this actually bothers me. A big factor is certainly the overwhelming negative and often nasty response to anyone bringing up concerns over diversity. I may not share the same outrage as someone like Samantha Allen, but I can understand why she might see this outcome and feel the way that she does. It does feel odd, if not really surprising, but coming off some recent comments from Patrick regarding the diversity(or lack thereof) in Giant Bomb's E3 coverage, it strikes me as a decision worth explaining further.

Not to mention, there is also the dynamic of the open call for applicants only to then turn toward established contacts within their circle. I figured they might do that from the start, but the open call did give me some hope that they may be looking outside the insular games journalism industry toward fresher faces. The past selection of Patrick is practically radical by comparison to such establishment and expected picks here. It's one thing to not apparently improve diversity in a gender, racial, or even nationality way, but to also keep things rather insular after making such a big call for a diverse audience of applicants just strikes me as a bit disappointing.

It is encouraging that Dan and Jason seem to have some slightly different gaming preferences from the core cast, and that should help mix things up a bit. I just can't escape how much it does feel like a kind of reinforcement of the Boys Club, and when there seems like a chance for it to open up a bit, it closes and rebukes you for expecting anything different. And when you share that genuine feeling, you just get attacked and mocked by commenter and moderator alike. Something -is- wrong here. It's sadly apparent, no matter how far we have come. This continues to be an issue challenging our community.

For the moment, this feels a bit unfortunate, but I still welcome Dan and Jason with open arms. I will not avoid giving them a chance simply because their addition feels like another part of a larger, stilted system. I enjoyed them on this first Bombcast, and I really look forward to what they do next. I hope they will engage with the forum a bit and get to know the many folks who continue to support the site. Many folks are eager to get to know them better. :)

I care about Giant Bomb and this community of gamers; so, it's only natural for me to express myself openly about the concerns I may have. It may not always be popular, but I believe Giant Bomb can accommodate all of us under one roof. We are Giant Bomb, and we must be able to honestly discuss and work through these things together without tearing down one another.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#175  Edited By audioBusting

@sjqpersonal: I know, I wanted to be cheeky and write "Super Endurance Run" but somehow forgot to haha. I love Dan Ryckert's (and Jason-edited) Super Replays so I was sort of wishing for something like that, even though I know it's not gonna happen that way.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@yummylee said:

I have little experience in seeing what either of these guys get up to, but that only makes me all the more curious to witness how they fit into things. I'm admittedly a little disappointed that it was as predictable as I expected it would be--with them hiring a couple of old friends--and only furthers my opinion that posting ''we're hiring!'' on the forumswas rather mean spirited. Nonetheless, I'm still plenty willing to give these guys a shot.

Yeah, that's the first thing that came to mind when they officially announced it. It's a bit disappointing that they went the whole "we're going to post a job up for people to apply for even though we've pretty much already given it to some friends" route, but then I don't think there is anyone more qualified to fill these kind of positions.

At this point all I'm really hoping for is that Dan and Jason don't get harassed over it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By RonGalaxy

(hopefully this posts right). Anyway, tweet from Dan's dad. lol

slindz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn it everyone, they hired the most suitable person and best applicant for the job. That's it. You're looking way too far into this.

Just fucking enjoy life.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 sweep  Moderator

I'm not familiar with the work of either of them, but I'm sure they'll fit in just fine. Welcome, both!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#181  Edited By Zevvion

Not very familiar with either of them, but I'm sure they will fit in nicely. Happy to have them.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By glots

Paul's name sounds familiar, that's all the info I know about these two. Hopefully they'll fit right in!

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Welcome to the family guys, been a fan of both of yours for a while now, glad to see you over here :)

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Dan's dad coming along with him? I need more Dan and His Dad Play. I crave it.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is the main reason why I'm enjoying the powerbombcast so much despite neither understanding nor giving a fuck about wrestling, so great to have him here fulltime and in person. I don't know much about Jason, but I gladly welcome him as our new austrian overlord.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#187  Edited By Sessh

Welcome to the site, Dan and Jason. I know it's gonna be a fun ride for all of us.

Also I thought this thread was supposed to be about welcoming the guys and not about the same argument from the other thread (and the damned Bombcast). If you want to argue, which is a good thing per se, because everyone should have the opportunity/right to state their opinions (and without being shit upon because of them), just make a separate thread. It's just that easy, guys.

@rongalaxy: Hah. Ought to love Paul. I hope we'll get see him here. @danryckert I'm sure there's some great yoga studios, for him and Dan to check out in SF.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Just to clarify, as I am fairly certain you don't know his history but Jason is not "old friends" with the gb guys.

Jason hasn't been working (professionally) in this industry for all that long, he came from a background of doing this stuff as a hobby, but trying to get as good at it as he can to make a career out of it.

He worked his ass off to get where he has, and it is based on merit, not existing relationships within the industry.

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason is awesome and he is a control room guy (which QLs desperately need lately) and Dan is just hilarious. I really enjoy game informer videos so couldn't be happier with Jeff's pick.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

These seem like great hires. Best of luck and I really look forward to the new content they'll bring to the site.

Also, way to troll with that IGN photo on twitter yesterday.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@yummylee: Just to clarify, as I am fairly certain you don't know his history but Jason is not "old friends" with the gb guys.

Jason hasn't been working (professionally) in this industry for all that long, he came from a background of doing this stuff as a hobby, but trying to get as good at it as he can to make a career out of it.

He worked his ass off to get where he has, and it is based on merit, not existing relationships within the industry.

You're right, I didn't know. I just assumed he like Dan was someone that typically mingled with Jeff and co since he too came over from Game Informer. My mistake.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@slindz said:

God damn it everyone, they hired the most suitable person and best applicant for the job. That's it. You're looking way too far into this.

Just fucking enjoy life.

Was Lara Croft TOO pretty in the recent Tomb Raider?

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Awesome news, welcome guys to this insane community. :D

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By diz

This is great news to me - I think it is the best result possible to have Dan and Jason working on the site. They are both well placed to hit the ground running and starting to produce some fresh content here.

I started watching Game Informer's "Super Replay" series after the endurance run content dried up here. I got to know and enjoy Dan's character from the games he played there. I hope the desire to play games end-to-end is re-ignited here and we can have "Super Endurance Replay Runs" here again soon.

Best of luck to Dan and Jason and I hope enjoy your new jobs and new lives in the West Coast. I could not be more pleased that you've arrived.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Welcome to Giant Bomb, both of you! Should be some wild times around here. :)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Welcome to Giant Bomb! I like wrestling and fighting games too!

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really looking forward to more content now, especially with the NY being cobbled together too. I've only used the site for a year so it's pretty exciting to see new people and the site developing.

It's sites like this that vindicate my decision to not watch TV anymore.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: It's all good, it's an easy assumption to make! I've been listening to Jason do podcasts since 2006, and can't wait for you all to get to know him a bit more, I think he'll be a great addition to the site.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 sweep  Moderator

This thread is for welcoming our two new members of staff.

Any other discussions, regarding diversity in the industry or whatever else, need to happen in other threads. Any attempts to re-ignite that discussion in this thread will be removed. If that's what you want to talk about then there's already a couple of related threads where productive discussion is taking place. Here's one to get you started.

As Rorie has already said in this thread:

If you have comments or concerns about these hires your best bet would probably be to reach out to staff directly via PM or Twitter.

However it's really great to see the community showing such strong support for these new guys, regardless of any other discussions that may be taking place in parallel.

Thanks, x