Giant Bomb needs a JRPG guy

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

Been following the giant bomb guys for about 3 years now. Those lunatics managed to build my favorite website on the internet. They provide insightful comment on the gaming industry, great videos reviews and podcasts.

But here's the thing: no one and I mean NO ONE on the staff cares about JRPGs and other related types of games. I haven't heard a single intelligent comment about JRPGs from the crew aside from

• Japan, you sooo crazy. Going back to not playing this game then...
  • I didn't play game X but the formula for these games is old, they should change it
  • Yep I played that... I think it's meh, can I drop the review? The game came out 2 weeks ago anyway.
  • you know what game was great: Final Fantasy 6 (3)

The last point sums up the general feeling of the GB squad. They dropped the genre with FF6 and haven't cared since. Sure they can play and like what they want but GB fans are left unsatisfied in the process.

Every type of game is covered on the site. Even annualized sports franchises get reviews, 5 stars reviews(http://www.giantbomb.com/nba-2k12/61-35564/). Time to show the JRPG the same level of respect has roster updates on a disc.

They could hire someone full time or contract a freelancer(I know the whiskey media budget is tight, just an idea) who played and would have neat stuff to say about

Resonance of fate

tales of vesperia

FF13

FF13-2

Monster hunter-tri

star ocean: TLO

and upcoming games

I don't care if the new guy(or gall) has bad things to say about the genre, just intelligent commentary would be great.

What do you think?

Edit: I read your comments and my opinion is now clearer I guess... So here's my point: when or if they hire a new GB employee in the future, if that person is into JRPG as well as other genres (FPS, TPS, action games, WRPGs, and JRPGs for example) it would be great.

I'm not looking for an JRPG focused dude or even more JRPG reviews. I'm looking for a counter point to all the ''Japan, you so crazy and out of touch'' that goes on in the office.

I know the GB community has been picking up the slack for a long time and I know I can find information elsewhere. The thing is, I don't need information, I need entertainment and insightful commentary and no one provide those 2 better than Giant Bomb. So when the crew is dismissive about genuinely good games and no one is there to bring a counter argument I feel let down.

Finally, if you need an example to illustrate my point of view here's one: when Brad said he'd stop playing FF13-2 because the main characters weren't interesting(yes there pretty bad in the first half of the game) and the gameplay was largely lifted from FF13, it's as if Ryan said the same thing about the first few hours of AC:Brotherhood(I guess you'll agree only if you played both to complition). It woulden't have been fair to the game or the fans with AC:B, why is for FF13-2? It is fair only in the sens that the staff does care about open world action game and not about JRPGs.

In the end, I'm just looking for someone who's going to respond to the question: Whatcha been playing? with: well Ryan I played FF13-2 over the week-end, it was pretty great. or with: Eternal Sonata... that game is not good...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

This has come up a lot before, and while I'm sure this is the first time I'll suggest myself, I'm also sure it's not the first time they'd reject me for something like this :P.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By InternetDotCom

So you say they need someone for a genre because they don't respect it then just immediately insult sports games as a genre?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Sure, when JRPGs stop being terrible again.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheHumanDove

No, he'd be awkward and sweat a lot

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By FesteringNeon

I think the request for a proper sports reviewer has also been mentioned.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ShadowConqueror said:

Sure, when JRPGs stop being terrible again.

*GROAN*

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By buzz_clik

Without trying to divert traffic (and potential revenue) away from one of my favourite sites on the internet, aren't there other places you can go to get what you would consider a valid viewpoint on any JRPG you're interested in? Maybe it's just not what Giant Bomb wants to be about. And if it is what Giant Bomb wants to be about at some point, why not try those other sites in the interim?

EgoistShrugged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EgoistShrugged

@ShadowConqueror: This

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pyrodactyl

@GorillaMoPena:@ShadowConqueror: Sure there are good sport games (NBA 12 got 5 stars for a reason) but there are terrible 60$ roster updates every year. I'm just saying even the bad sports games get more attention then the good JRPGs

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karl_Boss

Traditional JRPGs are becoming few and far in between.....I don't see the point.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SuperWristBands

I don't know. I don't mind how it is right now. I mainly play Japanese games but I still don't care too much that they don't talk much about Final Fantasy games or at all about Monster Hunter games.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pyrodactyl

@buzz_clik: I though GB was about funny and intelligent comment on video games... JRPGs are video games has far has I'm concerned

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@SuperWristBands said:

I don't know. I don't mind how it is right now. I mainly play Japanese games but I still don't care too much that they don't talk much about Final Fantasy games or at all about Monster Hunter games.

I'm with you. Even though Giant Bomb don't have interest in some of the games I care about It does not bother me. It could be nice though. I find having Patrick around is a refreshing new viewpoint.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By beforet

No it doesn't.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Kessler?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pyrodactyl

@SuperWristBands: It's just... dismissing popular AAA games from a genre and focusing coverage on shorter more digestebale games... It kind of bothers me

Maybe it's the time we live in, no space in one life for long ass games aside from fallout or skirim every 2 years

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pw2566ch

@GorillaMoPena said:

So you say they need someone for a genre because they don't respect it then just immediately insult sports games as a genre?

I didn't see an insult towards the sports genre in his topic.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PeasantAbuse

If the GB dudes play a JRPG that they like, they'll talk about it. Hiring someone just to cover one specific genre would be weird.

Also

@TheHumanDove said:

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cloudenvy

@FluxWaveZ said:

Kessler?

Is dead.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By subject2change

Kessler was who they pawned it off on. Thank god for interns.

Yes JRPGS are games too but Giantbomb is a more focused market on what they like and what they want to review. Also how can you say they don't care about JPRGs when 2 ERs were focused on them. As for reviewing them, it's hard as they are quite the time sinks. There are plenty of sources for reviews and information, you don't need to get it all from one source.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phrali

they just did an endurance run of chrono trigger

AND MODERN JRPGS ARE FUCKING HORRIBLE, HAVE YOU SEEN THE TV COMMERCIALS FOR FFXIII 2 IT IS FUCKING EMBARASSING

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By cstrang

@Beforet said:

No it doesn't.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By steveurkel

Best JRPG is Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Frontier

I just can't figure out why this is my favorite JRPG> It has a really fun story and cool weapons and excellent combat (it is basically juggle the fuck out of enemies and do combos and own them).

What other games are anywhere as good as this game judging by screenshots alone. The answer is none. I wish this game had more boobs though it simply doesn't compare to other games like it.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Jeff liked the Persona games, and Patrick liked Cathrine (not an RPG, but still a J game). I believe Vinny liked Dark Souls, plus after the endurance run Ryan showed appreciation to Chrono Trigger. Brad also said that FF 13-2 was better than FF 13, though i dont think thats saying much.

No need to make any additions to the site. They do coverage on most of the popular/hyped JRPGs, and hey, they like some of them, too.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pyrodactyl

@PeasantAbuse said:

If the GB dudes play a JRPG that they like, they'll talk about it. Hiring someone just to cover one specific genre would be weird.

Also

The probleme is: they stop liking them (or at least, lost the patience, I don't know) 5 to 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure no change to the genre is gonna change that.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

Maybe if JRPGs became more relevant to their interests, they might cover more of them. That's why I'm not into them anymore: they haven't grown alongside my tastes.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karl_Boss

@TheHumanDove said:

Ryan already sweats enough for the whole office.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King

@steveurkel:

That's very clearly edited.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By benspyda

They cover and review games they are interested in and quick looks are there to fill in the gaps. The best way they could fix this issue would be to have more quicklooks of JRPGs like the ones they did with Kessler. But I don't think they need to play through and review every one. There are plenty of non JRPGs that don't get reviewed too.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By steveurkel

Found more pictures of why Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Frontier is the best JRPG (since Tales of Phantasia, the other best JRPG)

How are the shin megami tensei games for people who aren't really into superly overcomplicated stuff? I had to decide what next to play because nothing beats Super Robot Taisen OG ENdless uuunffffff

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/owg2h.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sMsLI.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xX7or.gif[/IMG]

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pyrodactyl

@phrali said:

they just did an endurance run of chrono trigger

AND MODERN JRPGS ARE FUCKING HORRIBLE, HAVE YOU SEEN THE TV COMMERCIALS FOR FFXIII 2 IT IS FUCKING EMBARASSING

1-

The probleme is: they stop liking them (or at least, lost the patience, I don't know) 5 to 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure no change to the genre is gonna change that.

2- It's a TV commercial, the game is pretty good... Scratch that, the game is great

Guess I can see why Brad didn't care for it to much but I'm sure at least 5 people in this forum would fist fight him about that

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SuperWristBands
@ImmortalSaiyan: I agree. Patrick has been absolutely fantastic for this site both for his interest in indie games and his articles. Love reading those.

@pyrodactyl: I actually thought that they reviewed 13-2 but when I looked for it, it wasn't there. To be fair though, they did have a quicklook and a conversation on the bombcast which seems like a good amount of coverage for this site. As for their focus on shorter games, I imagine that is because they can pump out a review and it can still be a good use of their time. It's not perfect of course, JRPGs do get the shaft most of the time and it'd be cool to see niche games like Wizardry get a quicklook.
Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steveurkel: Shin Megami Tensei games are pretty easy to get into. They arnt overly complicated and the combat is pretty standard for a turn based game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#35  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Because adding a guy just because he's into specific genres doesn't seem like a great idea? You know how people on these forums hate Patrick? Imagine how much more they'd hate a guy who wants to talk about whatever C-tier JRPG they released on the PSP last week that no one else on the bombcast cares about. Honestly, if I ever want to know what someone cares about in regards to some high profile JRPG, I usually read Kevin VanOrd's reviews.

Also, Giant Bomb basically doesn't review games longer than 20 hours. This is a reality that has been true for years, exceptions like Final Fantasy XIII notwithstanding.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Flappy

@steveurkel: As hilarious as those screenshots are, that's actually a good JRPG. The Battle system is enjoyable, the music is pretty nice, and the writing is pretty damn good. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Back on the topic of hiring a JRPG dude: I don't think it's worth it. If they hire a dude just to talk about JRPGs or whatever, it'd be much too forced.

@benspyda said:

They cover and review games they are interested in and quick looks are there to fill in the gaps. The best way they could fix this issue would be to have more quicklooks of JRPGs like the ones they did with Kessler. But I don't think they need to play through and review every one. There are plenty of non JRPGs that don't get reviewed too.

This duder has the right idea. Much like every other genre out there, not every JRPG is worthy of extended discussion. Sure, there are a couple gems here and there, but there are a toooon of average rpgs out there. If you're really hurting for discussion on this subject, there are other podcasts/websites that cater to that.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Cloudenvy said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Kessler?

Is dead.

No dude, that was Whitney Houston. 

I can understand the mix-up though.
Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Commisar123

I think its up to them. If they don't want to cover those game they shouldn't.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@pyrodactyl: Go somewhere else for that coverage. They don't care about JRPGs for a reason. They aren't about to drop cash on something most of their audience doesn't give two shits about. Brad gave FFXIII and XIII-2 a fair chance, and even admitted to really liking FXIII in the end, despite it being DEEPLY FLAWED. Which he didn't say because he hadn't played a FF game or a JRPG since FF6, but instead because it was totally true.

They play JRPGs more than you might think. It's just that a lot of JRPGs are ACTUALLY stuck in the past, or significantly flawed in some way.

@pw2566ch said:

@GorillaMoPena said:

I didn't see an insult towards the sports genre in his topic.

He said that the game in question was just a roster update, essentially.

WHICH COULD BE SAID ABOUT CERTAIN JRPGs BY THE WAY.

And also apparently wasn't true for the game being linked as an example, considering the review.

That being said, anime and sports games are for jerks.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spartanlolz92

if remember correctly they did like darksouls alot thats a jrpg and they thought final fantasy 13-2 was okay.

i love mech games but i dont think a gaming site needs to cater to that if i wanted that id go where its more focused on that genre

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The staff, like most of the western world, isn't interested in the current way JRPGs are made. They aren't going to hire somebody just so a hundred people on the site who give a fuck about that bland old genre can be happy. Get over it. If you care enough to ask for them hire a completely new guy just for one genre, you can just go somewhere else and probably already do for that stuff.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By EuanDewar

@TheHumanDove said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Kessler?
ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ThunderSlash

Kessler seemed to be the guy that would review the obscure stuff like Yakuza. Not sure what they did with him though after Space Marine. I think that was his last review.

@steveurkel said:

Best JRPG is Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Frontier I just can't figure out why this is my favorite JRPG> It has a really fun story and cool weapons and excellent combat (it is basically JUGgle the fuck out of enemies and do combos and own them). What other games are anywhere as good as this game judging by screenshots alone. The answer is none. I wish this game had more boobs though it simply doesn't compare to other games like it.

I see what you did there.

Edit: What I'd like to see is someone that specializes in RPGs in general *cough*Rorie*cough*.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By beej

@TheHumanDove said:

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By steveurkel

If you guys don't believe those screenshots go play super robot taisen OG endless frontier and you will see that I am not joking. IT is boob town and if there is any town I want to go to often it is fuckin' boob town.

Game owns. I actually googled "Games with boobs" and it was one of the top google results. I tried playing other games but they did not have have anywhere near amount of boobs I was googling for.

Seriously how can you dislike a game where the character refers to another character as a "double d bomb". Nailed it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#46  Edited By Slag

If GB is going to add a guy with a speciality , I think they need a "sports guy" a whole lot more than a "JRPG guy". There's virtually nothing on EA sports titles or anything of that nature.

JRPGs are probably my main genre and I think GB does fine with them.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#47  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

AGREED 100% in fact I almost made this same topic lol! I like the Giant Bomb Crew but I get sick of hearing them complain about RPGs ( My favorite game type) I have felt the serious need for someone who enjoys RPGs on their team for awhile now. Just gonna put it out there they should hire me :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buzz_clik said:

Without trying to divert traffic (and potential revenue) away from one of my favourite sites on the internet, aren't there other places you can go to get what you would consider a valid viewpoint on any JRPG you're interested in? Maybe it's just not what Giant Bomb wants to be about. And if it is what Giant Bomb wants to be about at some point, why not try those other sites in the interim?

I agree with this. Not to get too off topic, but I like flight sims. I don't go to Giant Bomb to hear about the latest and greatest in that genre, although it's nice to see a few people on the forums who do also enjoy that genre of game. I feel it's the same thing here with JRPGs, and sports games (though Alex seems to cover his fair share). If they get a new person, great. If not, there are other places to get that sort of news.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By mike

I'm sure if the demand for coverage of JRPG's was high enough, there would be more of it.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FengShuiGod

Kessler would be perfect. He meets all criteria. He 1. sweats alot, and 2. is awkward.

What happened to him anyways? I enjoyed Fear Gauntlet. It's a bummer that stopped. GiantBomb should hire Kessler. Not as actual staff of course. Just give him the position of Perpetual Intern.