#801 Posted by unluckywizard (34 posts) -

The SHOWS tab should be a main line header at the top, if not the most prominent one. If I want to view a bombcast (that isnt the latest 2), I have to hover over Video or Podcast, then click shows, then go find it

#802 Posted by JohnyMyko (1777 posts) -

Glad that the comments indicator was brought back, but I wish it was present everywhere and not just on grid view. It seems that the design is reused from the old site design and it still has that "emboss" effect that the new, flat, site doesn't use.

Also, it doesn't look too good on a thumbnail with a progress bar:

No Caption Provided

#803 Posted by teo22 (71 posts) -

I'm still convinced this redesign was done by some disgruntled employee determined to take the site down in flames.

Sure, you'll still have the most devoted fanbase. But anyone new to the site will do a 360 and nope away as soon as they see the layout straight from the deepest depths of Buzzfeed hell. Come to think of it, even IGN's and Gamestop's sites are cleaner and more functional! The one advantage these somewhat "alternative" or smaller sites are supposed to have over the industry leaders is usability.

I used to pay for premium by the year. Then I changed it to monthly because I wasn't coming here as often after Drew left. Now I notice I haven't visited the site in 2 weeks. That's 100% the redesign, since I was still checking the front page daily before it happened. Not a conscious decision, it's just not a website I want to use anymore. I'm not tempted to click the bookmark icon because I know what awaits me.

#804 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3999 posts) -

@sweep said:

I think the most disappointing thing about this update is that it's a fresh coat of paint and some backend changes that don't address or solve any of the problems with the end-user experience that have existed for years.

- user profiles are still redundant. Following other users serves no purpose in the way people actually use the site, as the user feed you get on your profile is awkward to navigate and for the most part completely ignored. The default should be the activity of the profile owner. The feed of people they follow should be streamlined and placed in a secondary tab. The "about me" section should be beneath their profile picture, and there should be a space for their most recent blog/wiki feed. If you want people to engage with your website you should highlight their work and make it easy to find.

- blogs are still completely neglected. If you don't cross-post your blog to the forum then it might as well not exist, and there's no easy way for readers to look back at the writers other blog posts, so there's little point in making it a blog post at all. Not being able to establish a context or continuity with blog posts discourages people from writing them. Add a "More from this writer" module next to blog posts (even ones posted to the forum) so users can see what else they're posting - the whole point of blogs is continuity, it's not just "longer forum posts".

It seems like stuff has been shuffled around arbitrarily without anyone really considering what the end user experience is or how it can be improved.

Just want to second everything that @sweep said here. For a while this site had a really active community and it could come back if some issues were addressed that arose after the LAST major site redesign when they moved to CBS.

Also, one of my biggest frustrations is that "Show" titles don't appear in search. So if I know I want to watch, for example, the Unfinished for Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the search bar shows me "Assassin's Creed: Odyssey 08/22/2018" and I have to click on that to find out if it's actually an Unfinished, or a GBE Playdate, or Quick Look Live or something else.

#805 Posted by abnewton (31 posts) -

I'm currently premium so why am I seeing a huge ADVERT to buy 'new merch' on the store, though at least it has a bit of colour to detract from the rest of the drab grey and huge low rez title image.

I don't know a quarter of the keyboard commands, functions, short cuts etc of the site, or its previous iterations, and personally don't care, but aesthetically the site now repulses me. It feels like I'm actively being pushed away, so god knows why anyone new would hang around, I certainly wouldn't be recommending anyone to look at the site.

#806 Posted by Outrager (257 posts) -

Suggestions:

1) Make the download button visible somewhere on the page even when the video is playing. 1b) Get rid of the slow animation of the different quality settings showing up when downloading videos.

2) Bring back the text that shows who uploaded the video. I prefer watching East Coast videos so it's annoying having to watch the first few seconds of the video to see who's on it.

3) Yesterday I had a video autorun. There should be a visible setting to turn that off. I'm guessing it was the way it was linked since the autorun flag in the URL was set to 1, but there should be a universal setting to ignore that if you have it turned off.

4) Maybe I'm missing this, but is there some sort of notification that shows if someone replied to you in a comment or forum thread?

#807 Posted by emptybob (37 posts) -

I have always been a lurker on these forums, but I can't read them anymore with the light text on dark background. I have never been able to read light on dark text for more than a sentence without it ghosting in my vision and causing headaches. Is there anyway for me (using browser extensions or something) to make this site dark text on light background again? Or am I not able to visit these forums again?

Otherwise I love the new layout and video features especially the "This Day in Giant Bomb History" and adding shows to my watch list.

#808 Posted by duckyofalarcon (6 posts) -

I assume it's been mentioned but I have always wished there was a way to save a video for later. Subscribing to shows doesn't really help. I wish I could just hit a "Save for later" button and build a list of videos I plan to watch. I don't watch every Quick Look but I wish I could build a backlog of QL, UPF, etc that I plan to watch down the road. Similarly custom playlists would be cool too. But I'd settle for now with just a big list of videos I've tagged I want to get back to.

#810 Posted by pickassoreborn (753 posts) -

@emptybob: I know there's some browser-based add-ons/extensions that help with that issue. I sometimes get ghosting occasionally and it's a bit of a pain in the ass. Am I surprised that this site assumes that everyone wants a dark theme and not provide a default light theme? Nope. Not at all. I dread to run this redesign through an accessibility checker.

#811 Posted by TheRealTurk (364 posts) -

@outrager said:

Suggestions:

1) Make the download button visible somewhere on the page even when the video is playing. 1b) Get rid of the slow animation of the different quality settings showing up when downloading videos.

2) Bring back the text that shows who uploaded the video. I prefer watching East Coast videos so it's annoying having to watch the first few seconds of the video to see who's on it.

3) Yesterday I had a video autorun. There should be a visible setting to turn that off. I'm guessing it was the way it was linked since the autorun flag in the URL was set to 1, but there should be a universal setting to ignore that if you have it turned off.

4) Maybe I'm missing this, but is there some sort of notification that shows if someone replied to you in a comment or forum thread?

They added the ability to turn off Autoplay, but it's buried in your profile settings. I agree that it should be off by default but at least you can turn it off now.

There should be a little red dot next to the Taco Bell icon in the upper-right corner when someone replies to you. At least that's how it works for me.

Avatar image for purplemoustache
#812 Posted by PurpleMoustache (141 posts) -

It appears the redesign has removed the API keys from the premium podcast feeds. I was thinking about updating my regular Premium Podcast feed which hasn't updated since last year, as well as Switching from Bombcast/Beastcast to Premium Beastcast, but the RSS feed doesn't have any API keys anymore, and trying to log in with my username and password for the site through Overcast doesn't work.

#814 Posted by sieve (1 posts) -

This is a minor thing but I can't Cmd-Click to open a video in a new tab from the carousels which appear under a video. e.g. the carousel of 'More Episodes of Quick Looks' that appears under a quick look video. Cmd-Click seems to work on the carousels that appear on the main page. (This is on OSX El Capitan, Chrome 69)

#815 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3999 posts) -

I may be overlooking some explanation but I have no idea what the point is of My Watchlist. I thought it would basically be a place to save and queue up specific videos (like ones I’m saving to watch together with the wife or videos I’m saving until I play the game like Mass Alex or Beast in the East), but instead it’s just like a way of “liking” specific formats? It’s weird to have “Quick Looks” in my watchlist when I can just click on the quick look carousel. What does that do for me?

And I don’t think people consume site content that way anyway so the whole “shows” concept seems flawed. Just because I’m watching an unfinished doesn’t mean I want to see the next or previous unfinished. They are totally unrelated. The only content that format makes sense for is complete play-throughs like the endurance run. It’d be much more useful to either have the carousel display videos related to the game I’m currently watching content for, or just the next or previous videos posted on the site relative to what I’m watching.

And yes, please return who posted the video or begin listing who is on the video so I know, for example, that Ben is on the Pokémon quick look so my wife won’t want to watch it.

#816 Posted by styx971 (51 posts) -

why is the main page saying whats playing on infinite vs showing upcoming? is there nothing upcoming due to goty stuff being done soon ( seems odd tho since it was like this yesterday when i looked n we have new videos). the infinite stuff is in the 'live' tab at the top easily see-able so i see no reason it should be in the place the upcoming was at which was one of the few good things about the main page. i don't love the shop add next to it but its better than the thanks for being premium that was there before , least it makes sense even if frankly ads suck.

I assume it's been mentioned but I have always wished there was a way to save a video for later. Subscribing to shows doesn't really help. I wish I could just hit a "Save for later" button and build a list of videos I plan to watch. I don't watch every Quick Look but I wish I could build a backlog of QL, UPF, etc that I plan to watch down the road. Similarly custom playlists would be cool too. But I'd settle for now with just a big list of videos I've tagged I want to get back to.

i would also 2nd this. i liked the shows thing, but in practice i think this is how the watchlist should work vs just adding a show.

#817 Posted by sicamore (47 posts) -

I'm curious about what changes are off the table at this point? Some people are still complaining about the white theme being gone, for example, and it might be helpful to make a final post that it's not coming back. Personally, I find everything way too large, so I would also like to know if that's just how it is so I can change my bookmark to https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ and accept that the homepage is not designed for people like me. I might miss new stuff that's not video and I liked the Upcoming and Twitter feeds, but there's no other page that I know of that contains most of the stuff i'm interested in without scrolling down a lot.

#818 Posted by Tanstaafl (130 posts) -

@sicamore said:

I'm curious about what changes are off the table at this point? Some people are still complaining about the white theme being gone, for example, and it might be helpful to make a final post that it's not coming back. Personally, I find everything way too large, so I would also like to know if that's just how it is so I can change my bookmark to https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ and accept that the homepage is not designed for people like me. I might miss new stuff that's not video and I liked the Upcoming and Twitter feeds, but there's no other page that I know of that contains most of the stuff i'm interested in without scrolling down a lot.

This please, let us know if we're wasting our time with our feedback/requests.

#819 Edited by dgtlty (1183 posts) -

Is a white theme being worked on or should people be looking to third party solutions?

#820 Edited by eloj (719 posts) -

It used to be that I could reload the main page and see at a glance what was coming up.

Now there's no "Coming up" box at all. I can't tell if that's because there's nothing planned, or if I'm just missing it or it doesn't exist at all any more.

The "Coming up" box should always be present. If there's nothing planned, then have it say that.

Don't really understand the "Continue watching" thing storing things that you've watched > 90% of. What's the point of this?

No Caption Provided

I agree about the blog/follow people stuff above. To get any audience at all, you have to attach your blog to a forum too. So you attach it to something applicable where there is also activity, like 'General gaming', only for some admin to move it to a specific game's forum that has zero activity. In other words, there's literally no point writing about obscure titles, because your content will be moved to its forum, where it's effecively hidden.

When I look at my forum posts feed, there's nothing to click to take me directly to the actual post? So if I want to do an edit, or continue reading where I last posted, I can go to the topic easy enough, but then manually have to find the post. It's just weird. (EDIT: I guess the #js-message-8947396 anchor is supposed to work. I doesn't)

If I could disable elements on the front page I'd remove:

• "Continue Watching". Pointless.
  • "Quick Looks". Pointless, already have "Latest"
  • "Watchlist". Don't get the point of it.
  • "Shows". Not how I find content. Also exists in menu if you need it.

Just to reiterate the most imporant point; I would make it so that the main page shows "Upcoming" prominently without needing scrolling.

Also I just noticed that the "delete" key doesn't work on some places in this text. <sigh>

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
#821 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1591 posts) -

@sicamore said:

This please, let us know if we're wasting our time with our feedback/requests.

strongly recommend using qlcrew.com to you guys. Given how there has been no response past tweaking bits on this redesign I am using that site to use GB just about all the time now.

#822 Posted by pickassoreborn (753 posts) -

There needs to be a white theme. When I was looking through extensions for accessibility, they all assume the default is white - which it should be.

#823 Posted by Art_Vandelay (199 posts) -

I'm on a desktop PC and I really don't like it. it is way too big and unwieldy. I'd love a feature (or a skript) to be able to see the list of videos scaled down and on a grid.

This seems rather specialized for mobile and not very desktop friendly.

Also, videos often get stuttery for me since the revamp.

#824 Edited by santanajfs (1 posts) -

I used to keep up with premium shows by going into the "Premium" section and sorting by date. Is that not possible anymore?

#825 Edited by Endwashere (7 posts) -

Here's a bug:

It seems that on the review page list (for example https://www.giantbomb.com/words/?type=reviews&page=2) every review on a page is written by the same person regardless of the actual author. Most pages it ends up being Jeff.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
#827 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1708 posts) -

The Beastcast episode pages show premium only notice. Non-premium users have to click the "free" icon to listen the podcast. This is very confusing.

#829 Edited by razorblade79 (27 posts) -

If you remove items from "continue watching", click on any of the remaining videos (and maybe don't click the right one) and then go browser-back it shows the removed videos again (until refresh.)

I like the Latest carussell but the three featured videos just seem to be the first three of those so I'd rather just see latest on top. Also popular seems to be something that should also be placed far more up. like "continue watching", personally I'd put that at #2 between latest and popular. I don't like how huge the main video is. I almost always have to scroll down when I'm on the site because ... well see above what I use.

I'm sure people talked a LOT about what is found where and in which order; what I wish for is the same as for Netflix, let me choose what lists I see and which order they are in (Premium feature?? ;D )

#830 Posted by AngriGhandi (926 posts) -

Not sure if this is super-productive or necessary for me to do, but I wrote this for a different thread about "new" vs. "old" site design and it took me probably 15 damn minutes so I might as well put it here too:

I'd still use the old design if I could. The new design seems extremely haphazard to me, and changed more than it needed to for no functional benefit. I mean, here is what I see as I scroll down the page, in order:

1. Huge image taking up 75% of the entire screen, half the time showing a podcast
2. A few newest(?) videos, selected mysteriously
3. A store ad and GB Infinite link, okay fine
4. Another GB Infinite link, for some reason
5. Newest videos, again
6. "Continue watching," a neat idea, but most of which are 95% complete videos I stopped because I was obviously finished with them
7. Newest Quick Looks, a 50% overlap with the two other "new video" bars
8. Popular videos, yet again a 75% overlap with "Latest Videos," 50% overlap with "Quick Looks"
9. "Shows" bar, which seems like it should go at the bottom somewhere, it doesn't seem like it needs "promoting" per se
(Also, since the shows are sorted by newest addition, it's quadruply-redundant with the other "newest videos" categories)
10. "This Day in Giant Bomb History, which is actually the one new thing I unequivocally like
11. Community section and staff tweets, with the community section seeming like it will dry up and die over time by no longer having forums on the front page at all

6 of those 11 things are partially or fully redundant. Also, no upfront access to the wiki, even on individual quick look pages. And every category row is a "click to scroll" bar, which I hate.

So please don't think I dislike it "just because it's different!" I think they ripped off other sites too broadly, in ways that didn't make any useful sense, rather than taking inspiration where appropriate and making a better site overall. The site now feels like the clunky smart TV app version of itself, rather than a website made for people who love the website.

I also acknowledge there is no going back, only improving on what is now here - however, I guess if I want to pretend I can always use qlcrew.com.

This probably turned out longer than it needed to be. Sorry.

#831 Posted by TheRealTurk (364 posts) -

This one seems intentional, but it's something that I would consider a bug - I'm getting GiantBomb ads even though I'm a premium member:

No Caption Provided

An ad is an ad, even if it's for site merchandise. I really don't think I should be seeing this if I pay for Premium. Also, that entire chunk of the page is HUGE for what it is. There's got to be a better spot to put that stuff rather than making people scroll past it.

#832 Posted by cabbagered (14 posts) -

Apologies in advance, but I rewrote this and my fussiness still comes across as more aggressive than what I intended, and is not representative of my gut feelings for your hard work.

I was certain that if I gave the new design some time that I'd grow to like it, instead I find that I've starting visiting the site less. I don't need an enormous, low-rez image for a podcast taking up the majority of the screen. It ensures that the first thing I have to do when visiting the site is to scroll down, and makes the site seem amateurish since GB's thumbnails do not hold up to that level of scrutiny. Right now the front page is just a blurry picture of a Switch. Who is this designed for? I truly don't get it.

The Sea of Grey peppered with more-different greys approach is drab and in no way helps direct your attention to important elements beyond "You need to/have already paid for premium." The site's success is rooted in its interesting, colorful and likable cast of characters, but the new design is a black & white photo of a bowl of sad porridge. Color is our friend.

Carousels are meant to evoke the side of a cylinder, a surface without a beginning or an end. However, I want to see what is new (and am now no longer visiting daily) which means I need a system that is clearly sequential. At least throw in a "Latest" tag so I have a starting point of reference. Plus they make me feel like I'm navigating the UI of a firstgen Netflix/Hulu DVD players since I have to keep selecting a left and right arrow to change from one small selection of elements to a different small selection of elements.

If I click on the "P" in "Podcast" in the dropdown menu and then mouse over to "Latest" or "Shows," the menu vanishes because my mouse naturally passes over the next dropdown menu. It's just designed that way. I don't understand.

"This day in..." is a fun feature that I genuinely like.

#833 Posted by Hornet (102 posts) -

The lack of consistency in the carousels is really getting to me now. On the main page, the latest content in each carousel is far left, but then when you select a series, the latest content on that page's carousel is far right. It's kind of weird.

#834 Edited by jamesg (72 posts) -

A few points i don't like about the new site

1. The carousels are way over used and show too little content ( Adding the option to toggle the grid view ( like you have on the video page) would allow the user to see more content from a category on the homepage without visiting the specific full page link which is buried under the top menu)

2. The carousel titles are also not linked to the full page layout which show all the videos for that section ( as i said before those are buried in the top menu)

3.The featured post is way too big and dominates the whole page

4. The styling of the Upcoming/Community/Staff Tweets looks like its placeholder. I feel it looks better with a simple border and no grey background

5. The general color of the site looks like grey and boring. (Needs a splash of color to break up all the carousels)

Upcoming/Community/Staff should look something like this
Upcoming/Community/Staff should look something like this

#835 Posted by TheRealTurk (364 posts) -
@jamesg said:

A few points i don't like about the new site

1. The carousels are way over used and show too little content ( Adding the option to toggle the grid view ( like you have on the video page) would allow the user to see more content from a category on the homepage without visiting the specific full page link which is buried under the top menu)

Going along with this, the current design wastes A TON of space, at least on desktop. The main image stretches across the entire page, but the carousels use up only a portion of it. It's pretty jarring to look at. A couple of additional items could probably be shown with room to spare if everything stayed a consistent width down the page.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

#836 Posted by void (281 posts) -

Delayed live shows disappears from Upcoming under "Live". ( I know this is technically not a new issue , but still very annoying.)

#837 Posted by Parsnip (1373 posts) -

On the frontpage top slot, clicking the title of the video (or really anywhere in the top slot) takes me to the page and autoplays. Clicking "watch now" takes me to the page and doesn't autoplay.

Logically thinking these should be reversed. The button is literally called Watch Now.

#838 Posted by danlongman (190 posts) -

I just discovered gbturbo and its great, Its just really sad I need to use an extension to make the site slightly more user friendly.

SERIOUSLY WHY TAKE UP MY WHOLE display with one image???.... fix the header

#839 Edited by styx971 (51 posts) -

I just discovered gbturbo and its great, Its just really sad I need to use an extension to make the site slightly more user friendly.

This! ... it doesn't fix all my issues with the new site but it at least helps mitigate some of them . which honestly is sad i get the last site revisit wasn't perfect but it was definitely less redundant and more user friendly

#840 Posted by The_Nubster (3854 posts) -

Just want to drop in again and say thank you for some of the improvements that have been made! Being able to clear Continue Watching is awesome and no more Autoplay is a blessing. Keep working away!

I'd like to add in that having the titles of the Carousels link to the "Show More" page would save a few clicks. I'd like to jump in there and have it default to grid view to see what I've missed.\

Also, I miss the hell out of the video decks and publishing info. Jan and Jason and Abby work hard on those decks and they add a lot of personality to the site, which is the reason I love GB so much. That personality and uniqueness is the heart of things.

#841 Edited by Onemanarmyy (3967 posts) -

If i listen to a podcast, if i click anywhere in the div#js-ajax-episode-content-section.episode-content.section, it pauses the podcast. This means if i have the podcast open in a different window, it's hard to bring focus to that window without pausing the podcast. I don't know if it's possible, but restricting pause / play click to the div#js-episode-viewport would make more sense to me.

I figure this happened because you guys want to have the deck & different podcast versions appear as soon as the mouse enters the content section, but perhaps there's an option to not have the entire content section also act as a pause / play button. It would be a nice change if that only counted for clicks on the viewport. Thank you for reading.

Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bits)

#842 Posted by kidman (564 posts) -

holy shit, I had no idea about gbturbo! It really makes the site so much better to use, which, again, as you said is unfortunate that something like that is needed to improve the experience of using the site. Seriously - highly recommend that extension.

Avatar image for endsofinvention
#843 Posted by EndsOfInvention (134 posts) -

There's a bug with the Upcoming panel on the Live dropdown menu - the shows are listed alphabetically instead of chronologically, e.g. right now it lists

GB Community Co-Op Corner (8 Dec)

Unprofessional Fridays (7 Dec)

The Upcoming panel on the front page does list them in the right order.

#844 Edited by avantegardener (2348 posts) -

@kidman said:
@danlongman said:

holy shit, I had no idea about gbturbo! It really makes the site so much better to use, which, again, as you said is unfortunate that something like that is needed to improve the experience of using the site. Seriously - highly recommend that extension.

Wow, that is really cool. Now if only I could get a reliable white theme so I could browse at work.

What are you looking at, is that pornography? No no, its a video ga... yes it porn.

#845 Posted by dgtlty (1183 posts) -

Nice work, John Susek

#846 Posted by Shaunage (928 posts) -

I try not to let change bother me, but I still get angry every single time I see the front page of the new site. Installing that extension. Thanks, guys.

#847 Posted by Servernode (32 posts) -

hugely grateful for the extension, much more usable. Excited to see what the new hire will bring.

#848 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3999 posts) -

I would genuinely like to see how this has affected GB's traffic. Anecdotal evidence and all, but I see many more people going to YouTube or QLCrew or finding any workaround to avoid the changes that have been made to the site.

Avatar image for bendik_solbakken
#849 Posted by Bendik_Solbakken (20 posts) -

Am I blind or is the premium video section just gone?

Would be nice to have a Premium video section like on the old site. So you could see all the premium content in order of release. It's a mess trying to find all the premium content now. And that's coming from a member and heavy viewer of GB content for the last 8 or 9 years, I think.

#850 Posted by swordstruck (29 posts) -

Not that this is anything broken, but the way the site treats hovering over different menu options is incredibly jarring. For example, if I'm hovering over 'Live' and move my mouse to hover over 'Videos' or 'Podcasts', the entire overlay goes away and has it recreated, along with an additional dropdown animation. Same with the sidebar (Profile/Notifications/Messages).