This topic is locked from further discussion.

#851 Posted by Sombre (392 posts) -

I'm a little dissapointed how you've shafted the forums. I've enjoyed them for many years, but the new focus that emphasizes less on community, and more on premium, paid for video content is a bit of a let down

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
#852 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1661 posts) -

I would genuinely like to see how this has affected GB's traffic. Anecdotal evidence and all, but I see many more people going to YouTube or QLCrew or finding any workaround to avoid the changes that have been made to the site.

I used to just go to QLCrew for old podcasts but now it's my go to.

#853 Posted by swordstruck (50 posts) -

Here are a few things I've done to the site via Stylus browser extension that will hopefully describe my main issues with the redesign. With that I've darkened the gray background, which is more of a personal preference and not necessarily something that helps with usability.

1. Removed the down arrows from the header nav bar (Literally everything except the logo and search button have a dropdown, making this unnecessary). Also added some slight transparency and shifted up the page content to improve vertical space:

No Caption Provided

2. Significantly shortened the featured item, allowing for visibility of the promo items beneath it without scrolling. I've also removed the store ad and moved the 'Live Now on Infinite' item to fit alongside the promo items:

No Caption Provided

3. Increased the maximum number of items visible in a carousel to 6 instead of 4, reducing the vertical space used while displaying more items at once. I also added some depth to the carousel items with some shadowing and subtle rounded edges, increased the utilized horizontal space, and modified the carousel arrows:

No Caption Provided

4. Added some animation to the carousel hover action (Not really a usability feature but I think it adds a bit more personality):

No Caption Provided

The background in the screenshots looks quite a bit darker than it actually is, but hopefully you get the idea. It just seems like there are a few small things that could be changed to significantly improve the design.

#854 Posted by rahulricky (299 posts) -

The seek bar on videos is awful and unusable on tablets

#855 Posted by The_Nubster (4037 posts) -

Is there something similar to the video notes section? I just went back to watch a Best of GB, and some of the comments seemed to indicate that it would be found in the video description but I saw nothing of that sort when I paused the video.

#856 Posted by UpperDecker (572 posts) -

What's the point in coming to Giant Bomb? It's just a link to Youtube videos. So no need to come here.

#857 Posted by pickassoreborn (764 posts) -

Just clocked that the representation of a premium member in the comments under video content is a yellow outline. Nothing screams premium like a 5 second .css stroke effect. Something else too - you could probably spoof that outline in your avatar. Something else too - no one considered an avatar which has a yellow background?

#858 Posted by jamescheong (59 posts) -

Just have to say, did your designers even think about usability of the main website before redesigning it? I listened to all the devcast podcasts and what I'm experiencing with user flow is atrocious compared to what was apparently a ton of work and design effort. Random video wasting half the screen, carousel after carousel of repeating content... nothing makes any sense. Why isn't the latest content the highlight instead of being buried halfway down the page alongside 'last watched' and 'gb history'? I feel like this is just a collection of 'cool ideas' that are pretty half baked. It would be good to think about how someone would actually use your site before designing it.

#859 Posted by Mathematics (71 posts) -

Can we go back to the old site yet? Get rid of the desk while you're at it.

#860 Edited by mostman (356 posts) -

@rahulricky: I've posted this a couple times. Its entirely unusable. Forget about the UI concerns others are discussing, there are profound UX issues here.

#861 Posted by eccentrix (2375 posts) -

Is there something similar to the video notes section? I just went back to watch a Best of GB, and some of the comments seemed to indicate that it would be found in the video description but I saw nothing of that sort when I paused the video.

No Caption Provided

Here's an example.

#862 Posted by ashton (377 posts) -

Does anyone else have issues with the little red bar at the bottom of the videos they've watched? Sometimes I'll watch a video and the bar doesn't show up. So it would be nice if that was a little better at keeping track of that. Especially for shows that are episodic (most recently Mass Alex), because it's sometimes weeks before I'm able to get back to a show and then I have to click through a few videos before recalling which episode I was up to date on. Other than that I love the new site design!!

Avatar image for endsofinvention
#863 Posted by EndsOfInvention (153 posts) -

@ashton: Since the update I've actually found that function work way, way better than it did on the old site. I've only had issues with podcasts, which I assume is down to them having 4 versions (video/audio, free/premium).

#864 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4405 posts) -

Noticed the three promo strip content is now taken away from the Latest carousel to remove repeating content. In my opinion, it would be more functional to replace the three promo strip altogether with the Latest carousel (obviously with the promo thumbnails being in the Latest carousel at that point).

#865 Posted by eccentrix (2375 posts) -

I liked the old reactive design where clicking something in a top spot replaced it with something else. It doesn't seem to do that anymore.

#867 Posted by TheRealTurk (474 posts) -

Bug - I am seeing the Just Cause 4 and Darksiders 3 Quick Looks in the "Continue Watching" carousel.

I have not watched any portion of either one of them.

#868 Posted by pickassoreborn (764 posts) -

I'm assuming the large image for the main site content is being grabbed and used via some CMS? You really should ensure those images are fit for purpose - the current image for Unprofessional Fridays has so much space above the heads of the GB crew, it looks even more barren than usual.

Any good resources for creating extensions in browsers to alter .css layout, etc.? Tempted to have a crack and see if I can fix some of the awfulness.

#869 Edited by Zero_ (2088 posts) -

Just a general question to the Dev Team or GB itself; was there any user testing, iterative design or customer research on this redesign? Looking at everyone's feedback, it's 80% negative, 15% 'meh' and maybe 5% positive and many of these problems could have been picked up before going right to developing it.

#870 Posted by TheAdmin (962 posts) -

@zero_:

I think the most disappointing thing is the lack of transparency of what’s going on behind the scenes now. How much do they want to change? What’s on the road map? Can the community be involved in helping with direction?

Instead of talking to us, it’s just radio silence and the occasional tweet with change log. If this was a game, the GB crew would be railing on it. It feels like no mans sky the website: hyped, missing features, bugs, and the devs are silent.

Honestly, it makes me want to cancel my membership. I can’t find premium only content anymore, there’s a big ad on the homepage, and it doesn’t seem like the voices of the community are being heard. After 10 years, I’ve never seen GB make this big of a misstep.

#871 Posted by danlongman (207 posts) -

It really bummed me out to hear on UPF that they are not doing any releases or fixes till the new year. (besides backend CMS stuff) to release such an unusable site that has pages and pages of feedback in this thread and then just ignore us is really disheartening.

Especially when most people commenting are premium subscribers...

#872 Posted by jasonrakers (4 posts) -

@wcarle: Are premium subscribers supposed to get ads during quick looks? Just noticed ad pop-ups in the Just Cause quick look.

#873 Posted by Bane (910 posts) -

The redesign hasn't changed the way I use the site.

I watch everything you guys put out. I go to the Video tab, find the last video I watched, and then open the next video in a new tab. I was hoping if I went to Videos > Latest the video carousel would populate with everything, but it doesn't. It populates with Quick Looks or whatever category the video I'm watching happens to be. That's why I still open the next video in a new tab.

The only thing I've had to do differently is turn off autoplay. NO ONE LIKES AUTOPLAY. C'mon guys, you know this. If you're going to have autoplay on by default (and you shouldn't) it should at least be smart enough to not play things you've already watched.

#874 Posted by The_Nubster (4037 posts) -

@jasonrakers: Are you watching in the YouTube player? That's the only place I could see ads popping up if you're premium.

#875 Posted by omninom (9 posts) -

@wcarle: Are premium subscribers supposed to get ads during quick looks? Just noticed ad pop-ups in the Just Cause quick look.

I am seeing ads on quicklook videos on the site (not Youtube) and I'm premium, too.

#876 Posted by jasonrakers (4 posts) -

@the_nubster: I don't believe so, i am clicking through GiantBomb Quick Look on the main page...https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/just-cause-4/2970-18631

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#877 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7830 posts) -

I miss being able to read the forums and wiki. Looking forward to those contrast/style fixes for the former. Hopefully any adjustment to the readability of the white text on black (or dark grey) box is available for the wiki as well as it's just as unreadable for me. I understand this stuff can't be changed overnight, and I just want to say thanks to the dev team for all their hard work again.

#878 Posted by UpperDecker (572 posts) -

Why doesn't Giantbomb.com just go to the Youtube page?

#879 Posted by The_Nubster (4037 posts) -

@jasonrakers: When the video plays, hover over it so the progress bar pops up at the bottom. If you're on the YouTube player, there should be a white dot below the progress bar that you can select to switch back to the GB player. The GB player itself doesn't have any ad pre-rolls.

#880 Posted by jasonrakers (4 posts) -

@jasonrakers: When the video plays, hover over it so the progress bar pops up at the bottom. If you're on the YouTube player, there should be a white dot below the progress bar that you can select to switch back to the GB player. The GB player itself doesn't have any ad pre-rolls.

That was it! Thank you! Thank you!

#881 Posted by sixtycakes (41 posts) -

Super small nitpick but in the navbar could you guys either remove the dropdown arrows or add ~2px of left margin and then vertically center the icon? It just seems really jammed up next to the nav links right now. I think you could safely remove the icon because all the links in the nav render dropdowns so having it for every single link is redundant when that's the default functionality.

Current:

No Caption Provided

Additional margin:

No Caption Provided

No icon:

No Caption Provided

#882 Edited by swordstruck (50 posts) -

What's the point in coming to Giant Bomb? It's just a link to Youtube videos. So no need to come here.

Why doesn't Giantbomb.com just go to the Youtube page?

If you think the site is so pointless why are you even here?

#883 Edited by wemmick (130 posts) -

@theadmin: I apologize I've been away for a bit personally, but there have been several staff replies in this thread from myself and others. Most of the concerns being aired here are ones that have been brought up many times before and/or we acknowledged earlier in the thread, so we can't really keep addressing them. Many of the issues brought up are ones we are working on, but as we are butting up against the end of the year and folks won't be in the office over the holidays, we are holding off on releasing major changes.

Some of the major pain points we'll be focused on for 2019:

• Homepage - condensed, more functional top promo, making carousels more efficient for frequent users
  • Episode page - fixing issues around click area, show notes, links to wiki pages, bylines, and more
  • Navigation - usability/efficiency issues, esp for wide screens
  • Skin: we are not currently planning a white version. Maintaining dark and light versions of the site is a real pain and frequently caused issues in the past, so we're trying to avoid it.
  • Accessibilty, esp font colors, sizes

Thanks for hanging in there with us, guys. I know there was a lot of change here, but we're trying to really make the corrections true improvements rather than making knee-jerk fixes that may break functionality/usability for other folks.

Staff
#884 Posted by swordstruck (50 posts) -

Is there a plan to implement an actual watch list where we can tag specific videos? 'Watching' shows seems a bit pointless.

#885 Posted by sicamore (54 posts) -

It's unfortunate that the changes will not make it in time for GOTY since it's a busy time for the site traffic wise and the redesign could potentially turn off newcomers. I'm guessing that there will be a slightly tweaked version of the site(or even a single page full of links) to accommodate GOTY content since browsing the many videos and articles released each day with this current layout might be unwieldy.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
#886 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1661 posts) -

@danlongman said:

It really bummed me out to hear on UPF that they are not doing any releases or fixes till the new year. (besides backend CMS stuff) to release such an unusable site that has pages and pages of feedback in this thread and then just ignore us is really disheartening.

Especially when most people commenting are premium subscribers...

Yeah, it's been really disappointing for a paid site that has been around this long to put out such a half baked site in this state.

@theadmin said:

@zero_:

I think the most disappointing thing is the lack of transparency of what’s going on behind the scenes now. How much do they want to change? What’s on the road map? Can the community be involved in helping with direction?

Instead of talking to us, it’s just radio silence and the occasional tweet with change log. If this was a game, the GB crew would be railing on it. It feels like no mans sky the website: hyped, missing features, bugs, and the devs are silent.

Honestly, it makes me want to cancel my membership. I can’t find premium only content anymore, there’s a big ad on the homepage, and it doesn’t seem like the voices of the community are being heard. After 10 years, I’ve never seen GB make this big of a misstep.

Well put. With the redesign, the lack of response, and the move to the desk (which I gave some time to play out but has made for a more boring GB) hasn't been a great stretch.

#887 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@swordstruck: We do have this on our list, yes. The current watchlist feature is obviously more tuned for people who want to be alerted when shows they like have new episodes (like the way show Following used to work), but we agree a "watch later" feature would be useful as well.

Staff
#888 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@stephen_von_cloud: If you scroll up two posts, you can see our high-level development priorities. I can't speak to the desk...

Staff
#889 Posted by swordstruck (50 posts) -

@wemmick: Awesome, thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing these features roll out next year.

#890 Posted by chatmonchies (72 posts) -

Can podcast preferences (premium, non-premium, video, audio only) be saved so we don't have to click through each time? Thanks.

#891 Posted by Humanity (18643 posts) -

A nice feature would be some sort of announcement section on the site. For ages now whenever a live show is cancelled or something is moved there is no news about it anywhere on the site. Jeff or whoever might tweet about it, but I really do think stuff like this should be indicated somewhere on the actual site and I'm not talking about the twitter feed in the corner.

As an example yesterday there was a XMAS show of sorts on the schedule. Then it disappeared. I'm left wondering, if I should go do something else or will the show actually take place? Is this a bug? Finally I went on GB Infinite, asked around and was told Jeff tweeted about it being cancelled but a home show would take place instead at some later time. Considering how many issues the site currently has this is something to put on the back burner, but I really would love the website to have some sort of communications box whenever shows are cancelled or moved so you don't have to dig through social media and chat rooms in order to find out what is going on.

#892 Posted by Gooddoggy (557 posts) -

Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I mean there's 18 pages in this thread...), but it would be cool if the length of a video was shown on the Videos page and on the individual page for each video. Right now I only see it in the dropdown from the nav bar, and in the "more episodes" roll.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
#893 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1712 posts) -

It is kind of nightmare to find some things with the new layout. Like where is the game of the year community vote page now?

#894 Posted by Marino (7251 posts) -

It is kind of nightmare to find some things with the new layout. Like where is the game of the year community vote page now?

It's an article, so it's in the "Words" drop down. Currently the third promo in that.

Staff
#895 Posted by lase (24 posts) -

While I'm not a big fan of the redesign myself, I feel like the comments are starting to get hyperbolic. Relax folks, it's all gonna work out.

My biggest hope is that the dev team has analytics already in place so data can point to genuine issues vs. personal preference issues.

#896 Posted by LoktarOgar (643 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I like bejeweled as much as the next man, but come on.

#897 Edited by kortex (569 posts) -

the longer i look at the new site, the less i like it.

it is designed to inflate the content by shuffeling in old stuff and presenting the same video multiple times in different carousels.

Oh, and to sell merch, of course.

#898 Posted by styx971 (66 posts) -

@kortex: pretty much how i feel. i liked it at first glance n then the newness wore off and i seen all the flaws.

#899 Posted by cikame (2768 posts) -

In a month and a half since i last posted in this thread i have not learned how to use the new site any better, the front page is still a confusing mess and navigating the drop down menus is a chore.
On the plus side, despite their attempts to stop me using the forum by taking it off the front page, i still do via a bookmark i made that takes me straight here, if i wasn't a fan i wouldn't have the patience to use the site.
Additional notes, yesterday i discovered that the staff tweets section is still on the front page, just really far down for some reason, i had no idea.
Also what do you think i thought when this thumbnail appeared?

No Caption Provided

Yep, i thought Dan had died or was leaving, it's just his f***ing game of the year list.

#900 Posted by wadtomaton (608 posts) -

It would be nice if there was a way to default to audio or video for things that have both. As an example, I was looking for the GOTY Day 1 Delibs, and was only finding audio, then remembered there's that little toggle. It'd be cool since I only download videos on the site if there was a toggle that would just always let things default to video for me.

Other than that, pretty slick :)