This topic is locked from further discussion.

#951 Posted by Relkin (1142 posts) -

Did the font size for the forums just increase significantly, or am I going crazy? I swear it wasn't this large just earlier today. It feels like I've zoomed into my browser window a good 35 or 40 percent. It's hard to get more than a couple forum posts on screen, they're so large. I would very much appreciate a choice in how large the font is; I feel like someone has turned on an accessibility option for me that I don't need, and is making my experience in the forums a little worse.

#952 Posted by Sweep (10585 posts) -

Welp, it's been almost 3 months since the update launched and I felt the need to say that absolutely none of it has grown on me. The colours are still a grungy mess, the spacing on the homepage is bizarre (I'm still using the site with a -80% zoom as it's the only way it doesn't give me a headache) and the dropdown menus and banners look unprofessional and rushed. Most frustrating is the fact that there's been very little indication from anyone on staff or engineering addressing the multitude of like-minded concerns in this thread. Is it something that's going to be addressed in future but it's considered a low priority? Has anyone even acknowledged it's a problem? Or is everyone sticking their fingers in their ears and stubbornly ignoring the criticism?

#953 Posted by danlongman (207 posts) -

Seriously the lack of acknowledgement about most of the issues, is really disheartening the site is a mess, and wayyyyy worse than the last version. honestly I can't think of one thing that is better.

#954 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4238 posts) -

I don't know what the idea is , but the font increase is not working at all for me. Like i start to see where people are coming from when they say that the contrast between the white letters and the dark background makes the eyes hurt. This change makes that slowly turn true for me as well.

#955 Posted by stalefishies (442 posts) -

Yeah, I'm also on the side of hating this font size increase. It feels way too big, both on desktop and mobile, and the way the main forum post text is bigger than the "#1234 Posted by username..." post header is just plain ugly.

#956 Posted by TheRealTurk (473 posts) -

@stalefishies said:

Yeah, I'm also on the side of hating this font size increase. It feels way too big, both on desktop and mobile, and the way the main forum post text is bigger than the "#1234 Posted by username..." post header is just plain ugly.

While I don't necessarily hate the font size, it does make me question the priorities getting assigned to these things. This thread is going on 20 pages now - there are a lot of complaints about the size of the content on the main page, dislike of the carousel system or at least how it is organized, a desire to reduce the amount of scrolling to get around the site, and repeated requests for a white theme version of the site. Font size? Not so much.

I know that the devs have popped in occasionally to say "things are on the list," but it really would help if they could also give an update about where those things are on that list. Top? Middle? Bottom? Not on there are all? Are these minor changes we are seeing laying the groundwork for bigger changes later or are they just things the devs want to change because they don't actually see anything wrong with their design? I'm starting to feel like they have a very different vision of what this site is or should be as compared to the people who come to actually use the site, and that this thread it little more than a "malcontent chute" for complaints.

#957 Posted by JohnyMyko (1849 posts) -

I understand that some of the issues people had with the site will probably be addressed and some things take more time than others, but why is it that any time some kind of change or supposed "fix" is made to this new website, it's always a change for the worst regarding something no one had problems with, instead of being and actual fix for the majority of complaints the user base has been explaining for months?

When people said they had problems with readability, it had to do with colour contrast and everything being crammed. Making the fonts bigger isn't going to fix anything, it's just making it worse.

As I said, I understand some things take time and work to do, but this website has become a complete mess.

#958 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4238 posts) -

It would probably be useful if premium live shows were clearly marked as premium so that users don't have to try to get into the chat to see if it's a free or a premium stream. Especially for new users it's not always clear whether a show is premium or not.

#959 Posted by dudeglove (13707 posts) -

I'm repeating myself here: if the intention is "we don't want people to use the forums any more", then I'd ask that you ask yourselves whether or not this is what you do in fact want, because you're certainly going the right way about it.

Increasing the text size does little to alleviate the issues with either thread readability or functionality. Also, it seems it only applies to some elements of the page. The action buttons to the top right of a post (reply, quote, flag) are still the same size as before, and it's still the same harsh white-on-black glare.

#960 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3799 posts) -

Why have some forums suddenly started to look like how the old comments on videos used to look - narrorw boxes, more white space on either side, while others still look like like the forums?

*edit*

I think I figured it out. Any forum associated with a Wiki page ends up looking like this

No Caption Provided

While anything that's not associated with a wiki page looks like this. This is also how I remember all pages looking but maybe not?

No Caption Provided
#961 Edited by Wrighteous86 (4018 posts) -

@relkin said:

Did the font size for the forums just increase significantly, or am I going crazy? I swear it wasn't this large just earlier today. It feels like I've zoomed into my browser window a good 35 or 40 percent. It's hard to get more than a couple forum posts on screen, they're so large. I would very much appreciate a choice in how large the font is; I feel like someone has turned on an accessibility option for me that I don't need, and is making my experience in the forums a little worse.

Choices are hard and too much work.

@relkin said:

I feel like someone has turned on an accessibility option for me that I don't need, and is making my experience in the forums a little worse.

Making it worse, or making it modern and better? Perhaps you'd prefer if all forum posts were presented in a carousel, and instead of scrolling, you'd swipe through the carousel to see each post?

#962 Posted by Ascara89 (113 posts) -

@danlongman: I'd give them that the "this day in giant bomb history" is a nice addition, I'm all for an interesting way to surface old content.

#964 Posted by Sombre (385 posts) -

I'm struggling to see the point of the forums anymore. They're buried, and it's clear they dont give a shit about them- on top of that, nobody is using them anymore, and those that do aren't using them for actual discussion. Because the site got so big, nobody knows anyone anymore, so you just fire your comment off in a vacuum and nobody talks to each other. The anime discussion thread is SOME exception, but even that's a bit fire and forget.

Might aswell ditch them entirely

#965 Posted by BearPawB (36 posts) -

I am having problems with chromecasting liveshows again :( juttery mess

#966 Posted by nateandrews (67 posts) -

Another casualty of the redesign is game pages having related videos with useless titles. "EPISODE Battlefield V" doesn't tell me what kind of video that is at first glance.

No Caption Provided

#967 Posted by chaser324 (8644 posts) -

I've avoided bringing up any complaints about design issues in here because I assumed a lot of things would get ironed out over time, but with the recent changes to the forums, it seems like things are just continuing to go in the wrong direction.

I still love the GB content and haven't really had any major technical issues with the update, but I have to echo what most of the other folks are saying about many of the design elements just feeling clumsy (font sizes and other elements too large, too much whitespace in some areas, etc.) and lacking clarity (confusing video titles with the new show/episode format, people not understanding how to change between video/audio and premium/standard format for podcasts).

#968 Posted by liquiddragon (3291 posts) -

Have y'all commented on reasoning behind getting rid of recent forums on the front page? Sorry if you have.

#969 Posted by 49th (3892 posts) -

I for one am glad they are finally getting around to fixing the pressing issues with the redesign, that forum text really was too small and I'm glad my posts are now the size they always deserved to be.

#970 Posted by JohnyMyko (1849 posts) -

Speaking of changes of text and formatting, now the quoted text in the comments look exactly the same as regular text, with nothing to distinguish between both.

Also, there's still no visual difference between underlined text and linked text.

#971 Edited by lanerobertlane (296 posts) -

I think it's become a lot clearer that users don't use the site in the way that staff think they do, which to me is weird. I'd have expected that they had analytics for that stuff.

I'm pretty sure that I'll download the old premium videos I re-watch, such as vinnyvania and flight club and not re-up my membership to be honest. I'm pretty much just watching UPF out of obligation recently, anyway. The only thing keeping me premium is the promise of Mass Alex 2, and that could be 4 weeks in by now and I wouldn't know because it's buried somewhere in the new site design.

I'm pretty much just having to use an RSS reader that shows a nice view of https://www.giantbomb.com/feeds/mashup/ and QLCrew to access the content now.

#972 Edited by pickassoreborn (764 posts) -

It would probably be useful if premium live shows were clearly marked as premium so that users don't have to try to get into the chat to see if it's a free or a premium stream. Especially for new users it's not always clear whether a show is premium or not.

I encountered this when trying to listen to the Beastcast at work and not logged in. The thumbnail did not display any premium branding, though as soon as you click through to the main page, it'll proclaim that it's premium and you need to sign up to listen to it. Except we know it isn't premium and to access the free version, you have to tap on the star toggle icon thingy on the right. The UX badness going on here is pretty awful - there's no star in any premium theme on the site and not even a rollover tooltip to give the user more information. It also feels a bit like a dark pattern - almost like you're fooling folk into signing up. I hope it isn't the case and it is an intentional mistake/bad engineering, otherwise you've got a problem with honesty and transparency.

I was also using Safari on Mac to view the site and it mashes up the responsive layout somewhat. Was the site not tested on Safari?

#973 Posted by Forcen (2541 posts) -

Here is a small thing you can do if you have ublock origin, just paste this into "my filters":

www.giantbomb.com##.js-click-tag.hover-play-icon

the front page will look exactly the same but the topslot video wont be a huge spanning hyperlink that you regularly constantly click by mistake and end up with an autoplaying video.

The "watch now" button will still work.

#974 Posted by processr (175 posts) -

A little feedback on seasons, especially re: years.

1. The way that GOTY videos are split into seasons right now is by the year of publication, the default for shows with no obvious season splits. That works fine for GOTY 2017 and 2018, but other (publication) years are a bit weird. The 2015 season is particularly weird, since GOTY 2014 had a number of 'B-Sides' that went up in mid-January 2015. It makes logical sense for those videos to be included in a "GOTY 2014" season rather than a generic 2015 season. GOTY 2015 has a similar problem, in that Day 5 of GOTY 2015 was published on January 1st 2016 - so right now the first thing a new viewer wanting to go watch the 2016 Specialtaculars sees is a lone video from GOTY 2015. Basically I think you need to manually set up year-based seasons for GOTY, such that all of a given year's GOTY content is under a single season. Extra Life videos have the same issue.
  2. In some edge cases the default year-based season structure makes some shows look a little strange. Take Steal My Sunshine for instance. A new user navigating to that show sees just two episodes on the carousel, both from January 2018, when the bulk of that show was published in 2017. I appreciate that's a difficult problem to design around - what do you do with a hypothetical show that runs consistently through two calendar years and then has a single episode in the third calendar year? Tacking it onto the end of the previous year causes confusion and is just plain wrong. Get in the Ring has a similar issue where it has only four episodes, but they're split over two carousels - maybe for shows with very few episodes, the default could be to display all episodes in a single carousel with no year-based seasons? Do you extend that limit to include, say, all the Mario Party Party videos? (Side note, talking of MPP - Mario Party Party 11 isn't listed under the MPP show. Fuzion Frenzy Frenzy is listed there, however, which I'm not sure about, but okay. Like it's clearly riffing off of the MPP concept but should it be included within that show?)

I'd also echo the comments about distinguishing free and premium live streams - I can see that being a turn-off for free users for the reasons pickassoreborn stats above. Likewise what Chaser324 says about switching between audio/video versions of content - the number of comments on GOTY content where people couldn't find the video version should be proof enough of that being an issue.

#975 Posted by fisk0 (6854 posts) -

One incredibly confusing thing I've found is that if you go to a video page and don't touch anything, the video doesn't play, but if you scroll down to read the comments it starts once the comments load.

I mean, I'm no fan of autoplaying videos at all, but I still would've expected the opposite behavior - i.e., having the video start if you leave the browser with the video portion in full view, but stopping, muting or just not starting playback if you scroll past it to the comments.

#976 Edited by TheAdmin (962 posts) -
@lanerobertlane said:

I think it's become a lot clearer that users don't use the site in the way that staff think they do, which to me is weird. I'd have expected that they had analytics for that stuff.

I agree 100%. Things I come to GB for:

• Quick looks of games to find out if I'd want to buy and play them
  • Reviews of games (which is obviously coming to an end)
  • New release list of games coming out (This list is the most accurate I can find online thanks to the community)
  • E3 coverage (games + commentary)
  • GOTY (Videos and articles)
  • Shows (Deadly sims, etc - not all though, some I'm not interested in)
  • Participate in discussions on the forums.

Every single one of those things above is now harder to find, consume, and enjoy with the redesign. Add to that poor design implementation (jittery animations of the main menu for example) and it's no fun to come here anymore. They leaned into the Netflix style of site, but that's not what GB is all about. They need show pages, not just go to the last show (which sometimes doesn't even go there). Carousels on those pages go backwards. They've hidden all the info that people want to know (who posted it, what games are connected to it). It makes me so angry that this is what Giant Bomb, both the fans and editors, have received. They deserve better.

The wiki, podcast, videos, etc should all blend seamlessly together. I should be able to come to the homepage, see what new content has been posted (not just videos, but in the wiki, releases, and forums) and go from piece to piece effortlessly. Here is a scenario I want to be able to do:

I land on the homepage and check out all the new content posted (both editorial and community). I see there's a new Beastcast, so I click it. There's a spot where there's links to the wiki pages for games they talked about in the episode. I see one of the games I'm interested and go to its wiki page. There I read about it and also see there's a quick look. I go to that and watch the quick look of the game. I go back to the game page and notice that it's also on someone's top 10 list for past GOTY. I read their list and see another game I'd like more info on and go to that wiki page. There I see they've started a series playing it so I go to the series page and start at the first episode. After a couple of episodes, I head to the forums to talk about it.

Imagine trying to do that right now with the current site. You just can't, and the parts you can, are clunky. Giant Bomb is sitting on a treasure trove of data, games, and a loving community. It should be embraced and showcased.

#977 Edited by lanerobertlane (296 posts) -

@theadmin: The wiki, podcast, videos, etc should all blend seamlessly together. I should be able to come to the homepage, see what new content has been posted (not just videos, but in the wiki, releases, and forums) and go from piece to piece effortlessly. Here is a scenario I want to be able to do:

I land on the homepage and check out all the new content posted (both editorial and community). I see there's a new Beastcast, so I click it. There's a spot where there's links to the wiki pages for games they talked about in the episode. I see one of the games I'm interested and go to its wiki page. There I read about it and also see there's a quick look. I go to that and watch the quick look of the game. I go back to the game page and notice that it's also on someone's top 10 list for past GOTY. I read their list and see another game I'd like more info on and go to that wiki page. There I see they've started a series playing it so I go to the series page and start at the first episode. After a couple of episodes, I head to the forums to talk about it.

Imagine trying to do that right now with the current site. You just can't, and the parts you can, are clunky. Giant Bomb is sitting on a treasure trove of data, games, and a loving community. It should be embraced and showcased.

You've summed this up way better than I could with that ideal use case scenario, over the experience we currently have.

#978 Posted by stuntaneous (40 posts) -

Has anyone made a Stylebot profile to wrangle the new mess into something more functional yet?

#979 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@zmilla: This will be fixed as well - it's on our (rather large) list!

Staff
#980 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@sombre: Are you saying the the Forums dropdown rolls back up while you're hovering over it? It shouldn't roll up at all unless you move your mouse away from it. If it is showing this behavior, please let us know what browser/OS you're using.

Staff
#981 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@relkin: The font size hasn't changed here...what browser/OS are you using?

Staff
#982 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@relkin@chaser324 I chatted with an engineer, and it looks like the recent change to font sizes was a side-effect of some cleanup that was done for Comments (they share many styles.) The readability/accessibility improvements have NOT been rolled out, and that font size change was not part of them - they're still coming. Sorry for the confusion.

Staff
#983 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -
Staff
#984 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@fisk0: I can't replicate this behavior - what browser/OS/platform are you using?

Staff
#985 Posted by Relkin (1142 posts) -

@wemmick: Thank you for the update, it's much appreciated! (Firefox, by the way)

#986 Posted by fisk0 (6854 posts) -

@wemmick said:

@fisk0: I can't replicate this behavior - what browser/OS/platform are you using?

Firefox 64.0.2 64-bit on Windows 10 Home (1803/17134.523).

#987 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@fisk0: We still can't replicate in Firefox/Windows. Is it possible that the player was loading as you scrolled past it, so it started playing while you were into the comments? Does the URL end in "autoplay=1"?

Staff
#988 Posted by fisk0 (6854 posts) -

@wemmick said:

@fisk0: We still can't replicate in Firefox/Windows. Is it possible that the player was loading as you scrolled past it, so it started playing while you were into the comments? Does the URL end in "autoplay=1"?

It doesn't seem to happen when I try now, and no, there's nothing added to the URL after stuff like the numbers 2970-18685, and I don't believe that was the case when it happened consistently over the weekend either.

#989 Posted by Humanity (18633 posts) -

I'm guessing this is a new feature that when a thread on the forums is directly connected to a game the thread is structured like a comments section with the text boxes only taking up the middle portion of the screen, but any other thread begins at the leftmost part of the screen? It's a little confusing, I think forums should just stick to the forums layout, although I understand the intention is probably to give game info on the right side of the screen although at the moment it just shows the forum index?

#990 Posted by swordstruck (48 posts) -
@wemmick said:

@sombre: Are you saying the the Forums dropdown rolls back up while you're hovering over it? It shouldn't roll up at all unless you move your mouse away from it. If it is showing this behavior, please let us know what browser/OS you're using.

I think they are referring to the behavior of moving from 'Forums' to 'Store', 'Words', etc. The entire dropdown/overlay disappears and is re-rendered. It's incredibly jarring to look at and isn't as smooth as a simple nav bar should be. When you move from 'Forums' to 'Store', the overlay shouldn't go away. The only thing that should happen is the actual content animate away and be replaced by the content of the appropriate tab.

#991 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -
Staff
#992 Posted by Sunjammer (1172 posts) -

@wemmick: I know this might be unreasonable but it would be cool to see this List™ pinned somewhere so we can stop complaining about the same things over and over. I'm sure you're tired of it too. Personally this site is basically not usable anymore since my subscription lapsed, because the free experience is a almost porn-site-intrusive with popup ads. I'd assume your intent is to make free users want to go premium but badgering them with a truly bad time, obscuring content and community instead of showcasing it and inspiring curiosity and commitment, is not going to work.

#993 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@sunjammer: That's fair, we'll look into options for posting the list.

As for the ad experience - would you mind posting screenshots of pages that have the "porn-site-intrusive" ads? Usually we try to keep it reasonable, certainly no worse than our other sites, but sometimes either malicious ads sneak through or with the redesign, some pages may have accidentally received more ads than they should have, so I'd just want to make sure what you're seeing isn't a bug or some issue with aggressive ads. Thanks!

Staff
#994 Posted by Humanity (18633 posts) -

Just to reiterate because no one is commenting on this

Is this look intentional? Because it seems to be wasting a whole lot of space.

Forum thread attached to a game
Forum thread attached to a game

Regular forum thread
Regular forum thread
#995 Posted by processr (175 posts) -
No Caption Provided

The Upcoming schedule in the topbar isn't displaying in the correct order.

#996 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

@humanity: I believe that happens because it's within the wiki template, so it forces the page to match the width of the header area. It's a discussion we'll need to have - on one side, it's wasted space, but on the other side, letting the forums go full-width makes for long, difficult-to-read lines of text, a typography no-no.

Staff
#997 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -
Staff
#998 Posted by wemmick (130 posts) -

We are now moving discussion of redesign issues over to this thread, so y'all can see what we're working on.

Staff