• 76 results
JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By JBG4

Drew Scanlon appears, from all of the Giant Bomb content I've watched him in over the years, to be the nicest person in the world. I realize that 2014 was a pretty crappy time on the internet and a lot of people were hurt... this isn't a post about that, don't worry. One person though, in every piece of content that he was involved in seemed to have an incredibly positive attitude, Master Chief Collection aside, and always seemed to find some good in every situation.

When I started following Giant Bomb nearly 6 years ago now I latched on because of the varying personalities involved with it. GB changed how I viewed gaming websites because I wanted to know more about the editors at the other places I visited but unfortunately once other places began to emulate what the Bomb Crew were doing it just wasn't the same. I could relate to the guys here because they reminded me most of how my friends and I have always been when sitting around talking about gaming, sports, etc.. The problem with other sites was the content was that it was too produced, too little individuality was allowed from the people involved. GB has always been different.

No Caption Provided

Drew was allowed to shine last year after the tragic passing of Ryan, he was always involved behind the scenes and in videos occasionally but he had to take up a much larger role in front of the camera, and he knocked it out of the park. I posted on a GB forum a few weeks back that he was my Giant Bomb MVP this year because I enjoyed everything that he did. His humor and ever-present positivity were great.

The site as a whole had a great year and I am looking forward to what is in store at GB for 2015. The main thing however that I am excited for is what Drew does. Whether is be more Metal Gear Scanlon, his choices for UPF, or any new features he takes part in.

Drew has done an awesome job at Giant Bomb and he has really came into his own over the last year and a half. 2014 was the year that he really was able to shine in front of the camera and we should all thank him for his contributions, in terms of site content and his optimistic attitude.

Thanks Drew...
Thanks Drew...

Let everyone know what your favorite Drew moment is in the comments...

The_def_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I didn't start listening to the Bombcast till late last year. I was able to listen to a few Bombcast with out drew and then with him and I say he is a great asset to the chemistry. While the other crew are more outspoken I feel that Drew is more grounded and able to keep things simple. Just like his love for all things Halo :p

I haven't seen any Metal Gear Scanlon but it's one of my biggest reasons I want to upgrade to premium. Keep up the great work Drew!

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mbradley1992

I agree with you that Drew has been given the capability to show that he is a great personality to have on the site, and he is super positive even through some of the crappiest times this year.

But, I personally started getting burned out this year. After Ryan, I felt like the UPFs and Bombcasts just droned on for me. I would watch and listen to every, just as I had since 2008. But I didn't feel like the site had much life. It all felt business only. After E3, I even stepped away from watching Giant Bomb content because I honestly didn't feel like it. Then Dan came on board and gave the site a whole new coat of paint. Metal Gear Scanlon showed up and was great. UPFs and Bombcasts felt more energetic. I can't describe it, but it was like the site ratcheted up the entertainment back up to like a 9 from a 5. That may all be an unpopular and fairly personal feeling, but I'd say he was the MVP just to me for injecting the site with more entertainment.

But Drew is definitely overlooked sometimes and I think he should be recognized more.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew is great. I have a similar taste in games as he does and I think his opinions are generally in line with mine as well. Not to mention his stories are the educational and interesting ying to Jeff's batshit crazy yang.

I really like his sense of humour too. He often says incredibly witty things that go unnoticed.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Monkeyman04

Drew is the MVP of my heart.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Drew's hair better in that 3rd pick. He should go back to that cut/style.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Word. Drew's pretty much my favorite person ever.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to fund his trips around the world. He does a great job with them.

toisul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the content that Drew and Dan have been creating for the site has been amazing. I'm looking forward to watching him go further down the Metal Gear rabbit hole in 2015.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Indeed. Brad has been making strong cases in recent years, but Drew had been knocking it out of the park in 2014. Especially since Vinny moved on to build studios and houses, resulting in a transitional year for everyone.

I always thought he was some super serious war buff. But Dan kind of brought out the real Drew, the one of 90's action movie quotes. Which has been a delight.

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gildermershina

I think the key to Drew on the site is how he balances other people. It comes across as having (and I detest myself for using this term) a healthier work-life balance than other folks around these parts. He's become the perfect foil for Dan. I'm glad that there's somebody who can ground that live-wire.

I remember in the early days, Drew appeared on camera in an E3 video, looked incredibly uncomfortable, and I was like "who is this guy I've never seen before?" Over the years, it's been great to see him step up and become such an important and prominent part of the staff. He's too handsome though.

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the key to Drew on the site is how he balances other people. It comes across as having (and I detest myself for using this term) a healthier work-life balance than other folks around these parts. He's become the perfect foil for Dan. I'm glad that there's somebody who can ground that live-wire.

I remember in the early days, Drew appeared on camera in an E3 video, looked incredibly uncomfortable, and I was like "who is this guy I've never seen before?" Over the years, it's been great to see him step up and become such an important and prominent part of the staff. He's too handsome though.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I really hope the crew ends up going to Japan at some point. They've talked about it in years past, and thanks to Drew (and now also Jason), I think the coverage they would do could be amazing.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By WickedCestus

Drew is awesome. He has taken the Vinny role on the bombcast of innocuously saying the funniest things on the show with no one else on the cast hearing/acknowledging them. Love his attitude, and he has really come into his own in front of the camera. Also my girlfriend has a crush on him. Oh well, so do I.

Everyone on staff did a fantastic job this year; it was a whole lot of fun. Looking forward to 2015.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Dan has been a refreshing injection of dumb shit on the site but the newness of Dan has overshadowed the oncoming storm that is Drew Scanlon. Drew has really been on form, a adding a lot to the bombcast but also being involved with the majority of content I like on here.

In fact I bought a new subscription only for metal gear scanlon, totally worth it

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Jeff is the MVP, but I'd second a vote for Drew as most improved.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust

Drew is great, no argument, but Dan was the one who motivated me to sign up after all these years. He's mesmerizing like some sort of 80's-retro Svengali. The pair are perfect together, but if you feel you must award Drew with the MVP, then Dan deserves an assist for his contributions. Metal Gear Scanlon is fine but they need to post another Demo Derby.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew is definitely great. Metal Gear Scanlon has been amazing and has filled a content void.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew does seem to be having a good time lately, despite MGS messing with his head and all. The guy is a good fit here because he is nuanced and seems to be keeping himself in shape. With Dan he brings his own depth and together MGS has turned out a real solid hit.

I wish the best for Drew, he is not an extrovert but he is coping well.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit where did he get that Needler?!

I totally want one now.

I finally managed to blow two or three days and catch up on MGScanlon (I think I had dropped off around episode 6 of MGS1) and all of both series were fantastic. I can't wait for MGS3, but I'm more excited for MGS4.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By triplestan

Drew is one of the most consistently entertaining members of the crew, for all the reasons you spoke to. His positive attitude and enthusiasm for games that are easy to write off is really great to see and hear, and his contributions to the Bombcast are fantastic.

Proof that Drew is the nicest guy in the world: He's remembered both my friend and I's names - and what we chatted about - for the past three PAX meetups. It may not seem like much, but it has really stuck with me.

bizzama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew is great! I'm really glad he's gotten more time in front of the camera recently, and Metal Gear Scanlon's been fantastic.

Also, dude is really good at impressions, especially Snake and Otacon (and Pacman).

The_def_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_def_star

Drew kind of looks like he could be Lex Lugers son.

No Caption Provided

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By doctordonkey

Him becoming more prevalent is definitely an imdrewvement for the site.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew should win 2014's coveted Papa Vinny award for excellence in Japanese games and nonlinear editing.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Drew has been the Vinny of Giant Bomb since he started appearing on videos/in stuff for Giant Bomb back in the Sausalito days.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew kind of looks like he could be Lex Lugers son.

Initially I thought you meant this guy as I have 0 interest in Wrestling. Needless to say, I was confused.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awesome, this community rocks and thank you for putting something like this up. Hope everyone has a great year! Drew is pretty damn amaze balls.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As a filmmaker/videoman myself, I've been in awe of his work on the E3 videos the last couple of years. Also appreciate that he's always poised to quote Back to the Future.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Metal Gear Scanlon and Alt +F1 were my favourite additions to GB in 2014!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Proof that Drew is the nicest guy in the world: He's remembered both my friend and I's names - and what we chatted about - for the past three PAX meetups. It may not seem like much, but it has really stuck with me.

That's a really good trait to have, especially if you want to succeed in small business, man.

TJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew's aight. You know who is even more dope tho? That white dog that's on unprofessional Fridays sometimes.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he embiggens this site with his cromulent performance.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nok: Not a problem. He gets love from the community but I was watching the last episode of Metal Gear Scanlon the other day and thinking how much Drew has brought to the site this year. He's been great...

@bizzama: You're right. Spot on PacMan impression

@supermike6: Exactly. I do love how Drew will just chime in with something totally random and hilarious.

@csl316: I definitely agree about Brad. He's taken up a much larger workload since last year and has done excellent, especially in hosting the Bombcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew is Great.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JJBSterling

I went to PAX East in 2014 mainly to meet the Giant Bomb crew and happened to run into Drew on the showfloor while looking at some indie games.

I expressed my love for the site and everything he does for it and talked a bit about what he's got to see at the show so far until seemingly out of nowhere Alex and Patrick show up, to which I talk to all three and thank them for their work.

However, later that day while wandering the showfloor again I see Drew again coming down the hallway my direction.

Knowing that he must be busy I wasn't going to stop him again but to my surprise he actually recognizes me and he smiles and waves.

I do the same as we pass each other in the crowded Boston convention centre.

I'm there thinking about how many people must come up to him during those shows and talk to him and how cool it was that he actually remembered me.

The next day I quickly ask him for a picture after the Giant Bomb panel and even though I probably shouldn't have because he was packing up his video gear he still gives me the time for it.

Thanks, Drew.
Thanks, Drew.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Drew is awesome! I appreciate his combination of considered opinions + earnest enthusiasm for video games, he also seems to lead the most interesting life overall.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew retains a child-like enthusisam but doesn't live/behave like a man-child! And is witty! Go Drew!

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unsolvedparadox: Yeah, Drew seems like the kind of guy that would jump out of an airplane... like Dan, who has done that. That would actually be an awesome video.

@jjbsterling: Awesome story. Like you said, he sees tons of people at these things and to recognize you shows that he actually pays attention to fans and people who follow the site. That's something that you don't get everywhere... you can tell from what he says in content that he seems like a really good guy and this is just another thing that proves that.

By the way, I'm super jealous that you went to PAX...

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Drew's hair is my MVP.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Jason for me. He is in very little sadly but when he is involved he is funny, insightful and just damn entertaining to me. Drew and Dan are runners up.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JBG4

@nightriff: Totally understandable... I love his enthusiasm for fighting games. I know Jeff loves them but Jason brings a certain something to the QL's about them that we've needed. It also helps that I love fighting games too

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I too think Drew is super awesome

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This one goes out to Drew "Skills" Scanlon.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I won't deny it. Dude's a boss. A Big Boss.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patman99 said:

Drew is great. I have a similar taste in games as he does and I think his opinions are generally in line with mine as well. Not to mention his stories are the educational and interesting ying to Jeff's batshit crazy yang.

I really like his sense of humour too. He often says incredibly witty things that go unnoticed.

I'm dressed up as a speed bump!

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Drew is the man!

Also the master of stealth jokes on the Bombcast.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_mantas: someone else mentioned the way that Drew has with just popping up with a random, hilarious comment on the Bombcast at the strangest times. I love that...

OnionKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an upstanding gentleman, Drew is.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Drew and Dan are my co-MVPs. Both of them have emerged in a way that the site really needed to regain of the lightheartedness that I feared we lost along with Ryan. Not that Ryan will soon be replaced or forgotten, but GB (understandably) was in a bit of a funk without him and could easily have never recovered from such a huge loss. Couple that with less Vinny content due to the constraints of parenthood and the general ugliness within gamer culture putting a black cloud over everything this year, and you can't help but appreciate that the site is still going strong. That's a credit to Dan and Drew (and to the rest of the crew for giving Drew more of a spotlight and Dan the chance). Hell, they're all MVPs, but Dan and Drew especially have brought the fun back. Dan's wide-eyed enthusiasm has brought out a less serious side of Drew that I didn't know existed. And as others mentioned, he's the comedy sniper of the group. His quips are often pure gold, and he seems to kinda sneak them in, which makes me enjoy them even more. His typically dry delivery is flawless, to the point where his jokes are often almost too good to be appreciated in the moment. In contrast with Dan's goofiness, it's incredible. See: Metal Gear Scanlon. And by that I mean, see Metal Gear Scanlon if you haven't already. It's some of the all-time best GB content. Great stuff.