• 90 results
MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

So since it seems like this year has finally gotten its biggest game releases out there (unless you count Xenoblade Chronicles 2 coming out on the Switch later this year) I feel like now is the time to start making predictions on what the GB crew will list as there top 10 games of 2017. I know it won't be easy because boy, 2017 is giving 1998 a run for its money for best gaming year with the sheer amount of quality titles that came out. Go ahead and post your own projected top 10 if you'd like.

Though again the one game that's going to be the center of debate is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Of course this is because while the GB folks have spent countless hours playing this game, its still in early access and GB has had a firm rule to not include early access titles for some time. There is an argument that it can be included because there is a 1.0 release slated to come out for PC in late December and also The Game Awards also nominated PUBG for GOTY. However, the date doesn't help that the 1.0 release will come out before GB does their GOTY deliberation podcasts.

If PUBG is included, I think it has the best chance at taking that number one spot, that is if the people on staff who really love it such as Dan take a very strong stance at pushing it. The only elements that I think stand in PUBG's way for #1 is A, not much of the crew has played it recently and B, the recent cheating fiasco could play as a serious negative. Jeff did say on the recent Bombcast that he didn't find any cheaters, but he and everyone else acknowledges how cheaters are finding messed up ways to win. Also Jason will then argue that Dead Cells should be included too by saying "Hey, Dead Cells is also in early access and its great! Why give all the e.a. love to PUBG?"

If PUBG is not included, it'll get a GOTY award with an asterisk as they honor the fun they've had with it, but won't changed the e.a. rule this year and change it in 2018. The real list to me will look like this:

1. Super Mario Odyssey: Small complaints on the crew aside, this game is unaniomously loved by the crew and has a strong case to be number 1.
  2. Nier: Automata: Dat Nier super team of Alex, Ben, Jason and maybe Jeff and Brad are going to push Automata hard, but will only go as far as number 2. I have a feeling Abby will keep it from winning.
  3. Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I think Jeff's past complaints on this game will cost it from getting the top spot, but this will still rank high.
  4. Cuphead: Surely the indie GOTY for Giant Bomb.
  5. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus: Everybody on GB has absolutely adored the story and moments in this game.
  6. Horizon: Zero Dawn: This will land on the list since Jeff loved it in his review and now the Frozen Wilds DLC is fresh on people's minds.
  7. Steamworld Dig 2: Jeff and Dan love this game and will push hard for it.
  8. Assassin's Creed Origins: This game is getting some traction now that nearly everyone has played SMO and Wolfy II. The crew seems generally positive on it too.
  9. Night in the Woods: Abby will actually try to push for Dream Daddy, but will settle for Night in the Woods as the third indie on the list with Alex helping her out.
  10. Tekken 7: A strange choice, but considering this was a decent year for fighting games, I think Jeff, Ben and Jason will push for what they think is the best fighter of 2017.
Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ry_Ry

I just hope this year has some new fun and silly categories that they can enjoy riffing on instead of being all knifes out all the time.

That said, I do hope that Universal Paperclips gets a mention here being the ultimate clicker experience

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier (probably my GotY) is most likely too high and I would guess that Zelda - despite the weapon degradation mechanic - will end up on rank 2 - PUBG taking GotY.

Mario on 3 (which feels wrong just writing it but 2017 was simply hell of a year for games). Argument of Zelda over Mario being Zelda pushing the franchise and arguably the open world genre forward while Mario "just" being an excellent platformer.

Outside of that I agree with the comments you gave on each individual listing.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

I think they'll end up putting PUBG in for sure, I feel like in terms of experience in what they played this year I can't just see that being let go to next year, but true, maybe not. Also, pretty sure Destiny 2's gonna get in no problem, in terms of the guys liking that game much more across the board than the first one.

Here's my takeaway:

1. Mario Odyssey

2. PUBG

3. Breath of the Wild

4. Destiny 2

5. Horizon: Zero Dawn

6. Nier: Automata

7. Wolfenstein 2

8. Cuphead

9. Resident Evil 7

10. Yakuza Zero Night in the Woods

That bottom 4 you mentioned are some def contenders tho too, plus I could see Injustice 2 and Nidhogg 2 genuinely debated in. I'm sure I'm missing some more PC games as well. Mario might not be at that top spot whatsoever too, I just figured 1 or 3 would be since both have been claimed to be the best games ever so often now (well, from Dan at least, I think others too though). Probably fooling myself with Yakuza Zero, I just sensed genuine fervor about that game, and I *think* it's still eligible for this year, idk though.

PS Everybody's Golf should actually win.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it Night in the Woods is a definite indie darling crowd pleasing game that no one will have a problem including in (deservingly so, btw), might actually be number 6 for them tbh

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebipsnbeeps: Everybody's Golf will definitely be on Dan's top 10 that's for sure.

Also I thought about putting Destiny 2 on the list, but I feel The Raid might have ruined its chances since the crew felt like getting through that was a slog. Or at least the ending boss fight felt like a slog. I could be wrong though.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will be GOTY for sure.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

They should just take the staff's personal lists and average it out for the site's 10 top. I rather just hear them talk out the other categories. The GOTY debate was fun when they all played the same games like in '08-'09 but when there are only a few games they all played, the conversation sounds uninformed and nonsensical.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

1. PUBG: Who are we fooling?
  2. Super Mario Odyssey: Probably the other game that both coasts have played and liked
  3. Nier Automata: It seems like west coast has started to gain interest in it. For east coast, only Alex has finished it, but Austin promised that he would help in defending the game.
  4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus: Average gameplay, messed up difficulty settings, but all the crazy moments!
  5. Horizon: Zero Dawn: Matt Rorie's GOTY. It seems like both coasts like it, but were pulled away by Zelda
  6. Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Everyone wants to like it, but somehow it doesn't feel like recent Zelda, and I don't think most of the crews have completed the game.
  7. Night in the Woods: ... I dunno, I am still playing it.
  8. Tekken 7: Press X to throw people into Volcano
  9. Yakuza 0: Should have been higher, but only the east coast has played it. There's many crazy moments in it.
  10. Nioh: Jason and Jeff will push for it.
  11. Resi 7: Best PS VR game, but seems like there's only couple of people who played it
  12. Destiny 2: That long ass raid, but then nobody touches it anymore.
  13. Cuphead: Looks good, but nobody played long enough to have anything to say about it.
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After being wrong every year I try to guess my only prediction is that Nier is snubbed and I'll be angry about it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 58

I fully expect to roll my eyes a little when PUBG inevitably wins it. I can't think of anything else that everyone on staff talked about for like 3 months straight besides Zelda, and it seems like everyone is now weirdly lukewarm on that game except Dan.

bjacks27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven’t they already said PUBG won’t be considered because if isn’t technically a game yet? This is just a question I’m not trolling. I’ve never played it

OHNOgc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OHNOgc

PUBG might be eliminated from the overall site's top 10 for it being early access, but will be talked about regardless, and probably be on most of the cast's personal top 10. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are practically guaranteed to be within the 1-3 spots. Also I'd be surprised if NieR: Automata makes it anywhere higher than #7, there's simply too much competition and not enough of the cast has played it, nor to completion (ending E). Persona 5 should probably be on the overall top 10 list too, but have any of them played or beat it?

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was a few months ago PUBG would definitely win, but it seems like the whole crew has gone off it a bit at this point. The hype's died down. That, and the question of whether it should be eligible or not because of it being early access will swing it for them not including it - but it'll get a special mention or something.

I think Nier will come very high - Alex (especially), Vinny, Jeff and Ben all seem into it. But Dan will prevent that from winning over Odyssey and the others will eventually agree. Alex vs Dan is going to be fun.

Yakuza 0 should definitely be on there for Beast in the East (actually mainly because it's freaking awesome), but shame it likely won't. Also super shame Persona 5 won't rate high for them. Those are my top 2 for the year.

#10 is a toss up - I'll say whatever out of either Splatoon 2, Nidhogg 2, Night in the Woods or Dream Daddy

1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. Nier: Automata
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  4. Wolfenstein II
  5. Cuphead
  6. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  7. Destiny 2
  8. Assassin's Creed: Origins
  9. SteamWorld Dig 2
  10. Night in the Woods
elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By elmorales94
  1. PUBG* (if Murder Island had ended more recently, it'd be a lock, but the way people have bounced off makes it vulnerable)
  2. Super Mario Odyssey (everybody loves it, it's the only thing that can dethrone PUBG)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (I think Jeff is the only person who didn't love this game? He'll be overruled on this one)
  4. Nier: Automata (I'm honestly surprised that Jeff and Brad are buying in on this. Their support pushes it into top 5, while some true heroics on Abby's part keep it from breaking top 3)
  5. Horizon: Zero Dawn (the hill that Jeff will die on)
  6. Cuphead (the hill that Ben will die on. Thankfully for him, no one aggressively hates this game, unlike the above)
  7. Wolfenstein II (everyone will be generally positive on it, but every comment will be tinged with a hint of disappointment, dragging it down the list)
  8. Night in the Woods (I'm VERY pleasantly surprised by the last-minute surge of support this game is seeing. Jeff saying he liked it on the last Bombcast cemented this for me)
  9. Destiny 2 (Abby will scratch and claw it onto the list with tepid support from everyone else)
  10. Nioh (they'll throw Jason a bone and give him the ten spot)
  11. Steamworld Dig 2 (I honestly don't remember this game causing much of a stir with the crew, but I keep seeing it included on these lists, so I may as well add it as a conditional honoree should they deem PUBG ineligible)

I can see one and two swapping if necessary, and I can also see four through nine getting all jumbled up. Really the only placement I'm 100% confident in is BotW.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjacks27: Jeff first brought that up at their PAX West panel and that was when he brought up the scenario of not breaking their "No Early Access" rule this year just to show favortism to PUBG alone and instead end that rule next year. He even brought up the idea of giving PUBG a Best Game w/ an asterisk award if the 1.0 release didn't come out before GOTY deliberations (either that or before the end of the year). Of course that all might change because they've made it clear PUBG and the early accessrule will of the focuses of discussion.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I think they'll end up putting PUBG in for sure, I feel like in terms of experience in what they played this year I can't just see that being let go to next year, but true, maybe not. Also, pretty sure Destiny 2's gonna get in no problem, in terms of the guys liking that game much more across the board than the first one.

Here's my takeaway:

1. Mario Odyssey

2. PUBG

3. Breath of the Wild

4. Destiny 2

5. Horizon: Zero Dawn

6. Nier: Automata

7. Wolfenstein 2

8. Cuphead

9. Resident Evil 7

10. Yakuza Zero Night in the Woods

That bottom 4 you mentioned are some def contenders tho too, plus I could see Injustice 2 and Nidhogg 2 genuinely debated in. I'm sure I'm missing some more PC games as well. Mario might not be at that top spot whatsoever too, I just figured 1 or 3 would be since both have been claimed to be the best games ever so often now (well, from Dan at least, I think others too though). Probably fooling myself with Yakuza Zero, I just sensed genuine fervor about that game, and I *think* it's still eligible for this year, idk though.

PS Everybody's Golf should actually win.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it Night in the Woods is a definite indie darling crowd pleasing game that no one will have a problem including in (deservingly so, btw), might actually be number 6 for them tbh

I think I'm on board with this list mostly.

I agree that Night in the Woods might be further up.

There may also be another indie darling or something that one member has played and loved that I've overlooked (I wouldn't be surprised to see a push for that Daddy Dating game from Abby or something else from a different member of the crew - there's always a few games I completely forget about).

I wonder if Wolfenstein II might miss the list altogether. I can see the argument that it 'got its dues' in the best moment category. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 'Best Wolfenstein moment' category entirely.

jofruephroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hellblade, hoping for Horizon tho :p.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Redhotchilimist
No Caption Provided

1. PUBG
  2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. Wolfenstein 2
  5. Cuphead
  6. Nier Automata
  7. Night in the Woods
  8. Destiny 2
  9. Hellblade
  10. The Dream Daddy Thing or Horizon Zero Dawn

Obviously I have no idea about the actual list besides thinking the games high up will have a lot of support and the games lower on the list will have less. It all depends on the deals they make and how the arguments go. Either of the top 3 could be their GOTY, and Mario might be the one they can all live with. Hell, if they hate Nazis enough or all enjoy Cuphead enough I see no reason either of them couldn't take it, especially since Cuphead is a completely new visual experience for the entire medium. I could see Dream Daddy being traded for Pyre, but I think the support might be stronger for Dream Daddy, if not wider. And nobody wants to argue against a game about gay romance, no matter how many mustaches that dog has. Hellblade could be thrown off if only Brad was really into it, but I expect the heavy themes and technical aspects will keep it on. I forget how they all feel about Resident Evil 7, but I think everyone but Jeff liked it, so we'll see. The new hires got on after the game had been out for months, so I dunno their opinion on it.

I don't think there's any hope for Persona 5, Nioh, Edith Finch, Yakuza 0, Hollow Knight, Nidhogg 2, Sonic Mania, Assassin's Creed Origins, Steamworld Dig 2, Splatoon 2, Injustice 2, ARMS, the standalone Uncharted thing or Tekken 7 at all, unless everyone's low-key really into one of them. Or, if they play some of them from the time of now until goty talks and discover they love it. PUBG will be on the list regardless of release date, because Jeff is the only one who cares and the list would be essentially false without it.

It's been one hell of a year for games. I haven't found 10 games I love, but I have found more games than usual that I liked, and two games that are big new favorites of mine. Unless your preferred genre didn't get any great games this year, there's reason to celebrate. Like last year, I hope GB decides to go with everyone's personal favorites at the bottom of the list rather than the tepid consensus.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

From what I noticed as the games were discussed: Odyssey and Cuphead (maybe Horizon too) were the only ones nobody found much fault in.

Zelda: weapon breaking and stamina (to a lesser extent) are very divisive, story also weak.

Nier: had too many invisible walls and route b was somewhat of a drag.

Destiny 2: bugs in end game, story kind if disappointing, everybody dropped off.

Persona: Ben and Alex in their spoilercast had issues with pacing and the dungeons.

Yakuza zero: Dan hates the combat.

Wolfenstein: combat doesn't feel great.

Assassin's Creed Origins: combat not great, jank, numbers and UI weird

And some others that not a lot of the crew have played. (Night in the Woods was looking bleak before Jeff and others mentioned it again in the bombcast).

My guess would be

1. PUBG

2. Odyessy

3. Nier

4. BotW

5. Cuphead

6. Wolfenstein

7. Horizon

8. Assassin's Creed Origins

9. Destiny 2

10. Night in the Woods

11. Yakuza 0

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think most people here are putting Horizon way too low on the list, it might end up in 3rd.

My guess:

1. PUBG

2. Mario Odyssey

3. Horizon Zero Dawn

4. Zelda Breath of the Wild

5. Wolfenstein The New Order

6. Nier Automata

7. Steamworld Dig 2

8. Assassin's Creed Origins

9. Persona 5

10. Destiny 2

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By impartialgecko

I don't think there will be a list that doesn't include PUBG, Zelda, Mario, Wolfenstein, Nier and Horizon in some variation of hierarchy. I think the real interesting discussions will be around the personal faves of newer members of the crew. Its been a big year for Jeff-ass-Jeff games and Brad-ass-Brad games (I had to) which will all likely fill in the top 7 but there are plenty of really incredible games with one or two people in their respective corners like Yakuza, Night in the Woods, Resident Evil, Steamworld Dig 2, Cuphead etc and most of those people came to GB in the last couple of years.

The injection of new blood over the course of the last 3 years has been really great to see and I think this is the year that we get to hear a real plurality of different opinions on a killer gaming year. If all goes well, everyone's predictions in this thread are completely off and we get a weird-ass list of games.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is going to be the year of Dan. I think either Mario or Zelda takes it in part due to Dans enthusiasm. I think when it comes down to it Dan make some epic heart felt speech that wins any naysayers over.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JohnTunoku

1. PUBG- everyone on the site likes it, created large amounts of content on site.

2. Mario Odyssey- based on how things went on Mario Maker the year it was up and everyone on staff liking it. I've yet to play it myself but it looks delightful.

Gets harder to predict beyond this point but

3-4- Wolfenstein 2 and Nier- Lots of debate will be had for Nier. I know Abby is opposed to the idea of playing Nier because of 2B's maid outfit and a whole lot of people (myself included) kind of got bored with it in Chapter 2. Everyone who played it seems to at least appreciate what it's doing and it will be number 1 on a lot of personal lists (Alex and Ben?). Wolfenstein 2 is in a similar place (gameplay not matching up to narrative) with many people thinking the difficulty makes it annoying to play but everyone enjoying the story/moments quite a bit. They'll occupy these slots in some order depending on how discussion goes.

5. Zelda- feelings on it have gotten more lukewarm over time. It could swap places with Wolfenstein or Nier but it won't go lower then 5. It's a damn good game.

6-7-Horizon and Assassin's Creed- I have not played either so I'm not sure how this would go. I'd wager Horizon will be higher. Both seem to be quality products but I doubt they quite match Zelda. There is a decent chance I'm overestimating the positive feelings for AC.

8-10: Cuphead, Nioh, Destiny 2, HellBlade, Night in the Woods- The front runner in this pack is probably Destiny 2 but there is a good chance it gets argued below the others over time. My favorite of the bunch is Nioh but a lot of staff never touched it. Dream Daddy will be brought up but I think Abby is the only one who has finished it and I don't believe it's her number 1 so chances are good it gets snubbed. Persona 5 will be on the initial list then erased immediately but will do better in STTTYYYLLLE, music and other categories.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Redhotchilimist
@johntunoku said:

Dream Daddy will be brought up but I think Abby is the only one who has finished it and I don't believe it's her number 1 so chances are good it gets snubbed.

Ben has finished it and liked it, and Vinny has finished it and liked it.

@totsboy said:

I think most people here are putting Horizon way too low on the list, it might end up in 3rd.

Jeff and Dan are just the only ones I can remember finishing it, while everyone else got to when the world opened up and stopped. I think it's reasonable to expect it might be on the list, but unless Horizon is one of the game everyone ploughs through over the break and loves, I can see it being traded for personal favorites.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: Interesting, haven't been keeping up on the bombcasts lately. I could see it making it then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897
deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

isn't PUBG a hacked mess right now? It's cant be considered if that's the case

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm the most boring person in the world, so personally I just want to see them discussing games and having fun :)!

Personally I'm rooting for Night in the Woods to be in their top 10. I don't even care in what place, only that it is somewhere on the list.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By glots

I predict, that the number one game will make lots of people angry. Doubt we have any Witcher 3 levels of complaints this year, though Hollow Knight and Nioh are probably contestants for that spot.

I’m guessing that the top-3 will include PUBG, Zelda and Odyssey in some order.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is going to be pulling hard for Nier besides Alex? Everyone else seems to like it to varying degrees but not be amazed by it or anything. I see it more in the 7-10 range. Anyway, here's what I got.

1. PUBG
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  5. Night in the Woods
  6. Hollow Knight
  7. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  8. Nier Automata
  9. Cuphead
  10. Steamworld Dig 2

That leaves Destiny 2 on the outside looking in. If you base it on how much they played it, it probably deserves a spot. If you base it on what they actually think of the game, it doesn't.

Digaumgrunge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Digaumgrunge

PUBG, Zelda and Mario are top 3, easily. I think Prey (my personal number 1) has a shot somewhere on the bottom of the list though.

I actually just wanna see how the new hires shake things up this year. It's gonna be savage.

bjacks27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bjacks27

Just based on my observations of how they have talked about them in podcasts and nothing else

1)Mario

2) PUBG*

3) Zelda

4) Q-Fed

5) Horizon

6) Steamworld Dig 2

7) Wolfenstein 2

8) Night in the Woods

9) Nier

10) Destiny 2 which they willl all begrudgingly put on the list and one day mourn that they did

Mortal lock for best new character: Mugman

Also as long as Dan is alive i think there is zero chance that Asassins Creed makes the list but could win the Best new surprise category. I can’t wait for the worst game and most disappointing discussions because there has been a lot of hot trash on the market of late

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gaff

Oh, boy, here we go. I'm going to use the correct, ascending order:

10. Persona 5: I can see Alex and Ben arguing for it, even though long RPGs are not GB's cup of tea.

9. Destiny 2: As far as I know, everyone was quite positive about the sequel to a runner-up Most Disappointing 2014 game.

8. Wolfenstein 2: Yes, recent podcasts have mentioned great moments in the game, yes, they have praised the story. But everyone has mentioned the game not being that much fun to play on the standard difficulty.

7. Horizon: Zero Dawn: While it's a solid game, everyone has said that it was eclipsed by a different game on this list...

6. Night in the Woods: This is going to be this year's Sneak winner. Someone is going to put this on the list, and this will be forgotten until it's too late to cut it from the list.

5. Nier Automata: This is going to be the "I'll fight you if you want to remove this from the GotY list".

4. PUBG: A great experience, but everyone has fallen off it, it seems. Also, the amount of bugs the guys have encountered is going to keep this from the top.

3. Resident Evil 7: The one game everyone forgets, but will agree on. A great return to form for a franchise that has been on the rocks for a long time.

2: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: The game that kept Horizon from getting higher, and the game that no one would shut up about.

1. Super Mario Odyssey: The one unanimous choice for everyone.

Also: my prediction for GotY discussions: Alex is going to get the most games on the GotY list, Jeff is going to be the deciding vote for Nier, Brad is going to filibuster Destiny 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a957513e44
deactivated-5b4a957513e44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Persona 5? W

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone besides Dan and Vinny finish Zelda?

Coryukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Coryukin

I thought I had a good idea of what their list would look like. But I completely forgot about GB east because I don't pay attention to anything that GB east does. This should be an interesting year with so many good games and so many different types of games. For the deliberations, I'm guessing we can expect lots of pouting from Alex and Jeff. And I don't expect any of Vinny's arguments to go further than "you're crazy".

cannonballBAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am looking forward to the debate between Vincent and Jeff. On the last couple of Beastcasts, they joked about how arguments were made for games that weren't unanimous before.

PUBG, Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild feel like a lock for the top three spots. This is also, the first year were there are just as many East to West Coasters, so I am interested to see how that changes the dynamic. I don't think Abby will let anyone roll over her picks.

Nier: Automata, Persona 5 and Destiny 2 will probably fight for the tenth spot. Fingers crossed that Cuphead and Night in the Woods makes the list.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't kept up with the podcasts in a few months, but I'll give this a shot:

1. PUBG, because they're just gonna go for it despite early access.
2. Mario Odyssey, the nostalgia boners combined with the game being fantastic will give it an edge over the rest.
3. Zelda, because Dan will not settle for less after Odyssey takes the no. 2 spot.
4. - 8. Nobody actually cares about any of these.
9. Nier, Alex will champion it but the majority will argue something along the lines of "we gave it its dues elsewhere" to get their pet games higher on the list.
10. Dream Daddy, Re: Austin with Invisible Inc.

Boy I'm cynical this morning. I'm definitely looking forward to the GOTY casts this year despite knowing how frustrating it'll be based on my taste in games. My only true hope this year is that Vinny making fun of the overused phrases of GOTY discussions means they'll try to make an effort to ease up on using them.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By ThePickle

If GOTY was 3-4 months ago PUBG would be a lock like most people seem to think, but I don't know, doesn't it seem like it's kind of lost its momentum at this point? It was a big game for the site video-wise but outside of Dan/Jeff and maybe Brad I don't think anyone feels super passionately about it anymore. And if it's not out by then, you can definitely scratch it off, Gerstmann seemed to say as much at PAX when the issue came up and he said if there was going to be a change about early access games it would be next year.

Cuphead will lowkey itself into getting like fourth because everyone seems to like it. Zelda will be like 6 because no one outside of Dan seems particularly jazzed about it and even he's cooled off since it first came out. Abby and Dan will fight to keep Nier low/off the list entirely but between Ben/Alex/Jason all really liking it and Brad and Jeff coming around it'll probably go somewhere in the middle. Mary-O Odyssey wins GOTY because it's the one everyone likes and it's still fresh.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By RonGalaxy

Not sure what's putting Mario ahead of BotW on some of these lists. Haven't played either, but going by staff reaction I feel like the odds are in BotW's favor.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

The big question is PUBG and if it is considered eligible, if it is, then I think you can lock in the top five and then work out their order:

• Cuphead - Ben will make the big push and my feeling is that it is just too tight to be dismissed on gameplay terms despite the difficulty which shuts people out.
  • Mario Odyssey - The arguments against it are pretty minor overall when viewing the product as a whole.
  • Nier: Automata - I feel like Alex and Ben will get this into the top 5 despite some gameplay issues.
  • PUBG - The bloom feels slightly off the rose here but if we go by the Hitman rule, this should win.
  • Zelda BOTW - A number of the crew didn't finish it which is a shame. It also likely suffers from being released in March.

Of those, the only one I can really see being number one is Mario because the love has been across the board where as some others will raise strong arguments against the others. Based on this, Cuphead could surprise and come in top two depending how big Ben's push is.

As for the other 5 or so games, these in any order:

• Wolfenstein 2 - I struggle to see this making top 5 just because the actual gameplay is flat, it'll sweep a bunch of other categories though and will get its due there.
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn - Not sure if this will suffer from the Uncharted effect last year where nobody is passionate enough about it to make a big case. Unlike that game though, may make it by default.
  • Night in the Woods - There will be a push from the East crew, waiting to hear where Jeff falls.
  • Destiny 2 - I think it makes it despite all the issues people have with it.
  • Steamworld Dig 2 - I know Jeff loved this game and am interested to see if he pushes to get it on the final list.

For Fun, some other categories:

Old Game: X-Com - The Exquisite Corps may put this one in there

Most Disappointing: Mass Effect: Andromeda/Star Wars: Battlefront/Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Take your pick. I can actually see Shadow of War winning because it was a sequel to the game of the year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

We are all winners when both coast get together!!!

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prediction: the community will be upset over the order and some things not on it.

cannonballBAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superharman: I will never understand why Shadow of Mordor was picked above Bayonetta 2.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By SirPsychoSexy
  1. Breath of the Wild
  2. PUBG
  3. Mario Odyssey
  4. Nier
  5. Wolfenstein II
  6. Horizon Zero Dawn
  7. Cuphead
  8. Destiny 2
  9. Night in the Woods
  10. Persona 5
  11. Assassins Creed Origins - Barely missing the cut

This is how I see it going down.

I think Breath of the Wild will take the top spot because not only did everyone love it, but it is a major console Zelda game that took a chance. The first time since 1998. And it fucking nailed it.

PUBG was also loved by all, but I get the feeling alot of the crew fell off the game a bit. In spite of that, just because of the sheer hours of enjoyment and amount of site content (this is a big factor, look at the last 2 years) it is almost certainly 1 or 2.

Mario Odyssey comes in at 3. Again we have a great game that everyone enjoys, but it didn't exactly change the formula. I also get the feeling that some of the crew isn't blown away by the post game stuff as much as they expected to be. Also someone will most definitely call it out for being easy.

There is going to be a super fucking hard push for Nier in the top 3 from Alex and Ben. Jeff and Brad will be fresh off of playing it and deem it top 5 worthy, but simply won't allow it in the top 3 because of the gameplay. Plus the three games above it are super hard to replace unless PUBG is not in the discussion.

Wolfenstein II had so many crazy moments and nailed every single one of them. Alot of the crew digs what this game pulled off and there is even a small chance it could sneak into 4th.

Everything after the top 5 is a bit up in the air.

HZD is a gorgeous game with a great story and great gameplay. It is just rock solid in every respect and a new IP to boot. Also, Dan and Jeff have played this on a 4k OLED and believe me, as someone who also was lucky enough to do so, you cannot underestimate that. I am expecting it to fall around 6.

Cuphead is such a unique and stylistic game that I find it hard to believe it won't be on the list. It could be anywhere from 6 to 10, I am really just guessing with this one.

Obviously almost everyone spent alot of time with Destiny 2 so that will almost guarantee a spot on the list, I am guessing towards the end.

I don't know much about Night in the Woods but it seems like this is one of those games that will be forced into the bottom of the list by Alex/Abby, partly because other indie/smaller games they enjoyed (i.e. Dream Daddy) won't have received much if any play from everyone else and this would be a good compromise as an indie title that they can agree on. There simply isn't enough room this year with the quality of the AAA titles for more than two smaller games.

I think Ben will demand Persona 5 gets on this list, possibly by conceding Nier being in the top 3. I don't remember who else played this one or how much, but I think most of the crew can recognize it as being top 10 worthy.

And lastly Assassins Creed Origins barely missing the cut... This is kind of a darkhorse and could easily land around 6 or 7. I think alot of the crew will be fresh off of playing it and will be very pleasantly surprised. There is a chance this game replaces any of the others in the bottom 5, even HZD. What a crazy fuckin year.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there any games people think would make top 10 if only someone at Giant Bomb had played it?

The closest I can think of would be Dujanah, which I think would have been shortlisted (probably by Alex or Vinny) but disposed of early. It'd definitely be right up there for best music and moment though.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the Bombcast, I want to change my order. Seems like Zelda will struggle to make top 5.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping NieR: Automata takes it, but i doubt it. From a lot of comments I'v been seeing on here, that games seems to be above a lot of peoples heads.

Skullbuggery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Skullbuggery

Nier Automata for 1st place unless PUBG is allowed a spot. If Nier doesnt get it they are all cops!