So since it seems like this year has finally gotten its biggest game releases out there (unless you count Xenoblade Chronicles 2 coming out on the Switch later this year) I feel like now is the time to start making predictions on what the GB crew will list as there top 10 games of 2017. I know it won't be easy because boy, 2017 is giving 1998 a run for its money for best gaming year with the sheer amount of quality titles that came out. Go ahead and post your own projected top 10 if you'd like.
Though again the one game that's going to be the center of debate is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Of course this is because while the GB folks have spent countless hours playing this game, its still in early access and GB has had a firm rule to not include early access titles for some time. There is an argument that it can be included because there is a 1.0 release slated to come out for PC in late December and also The Game Awards also nominated PUBG for GOTY. However, the date doesn't help that the 1.0 release will come out before GB does their GOTY deliberation podcasts.
If PUBG is included, I think it has the best chance at taking that number one spot, that is if the people on staff who really love it such as Dan take a very strong stance at pushing it. The only elements that I think stand in PUBG's way for #1 is A, not much of the crew has played it recently and B, the recent cheating fiasco could play as a serious negative. Jeff did say on the recent Bombcast that he didn't find any cheaters, but he and everyone else acknowledges how cheaters are finding messed up ways to win. Also Jason will then argue that Dead Cells should be included too by saying "Hey, Dead Cells is also in early access and its great! Why give all the e.a. love to PUBG?"
If PUBG is not included, it'll get a GOTY award with an asterisk as they honor the fun they've had with it, but won't changed the e.a. rule this year and change it in 2018. The real list to me will look like this:
- Super Mario Odyssey: Small complaints on the crew aside, this game is unaniomously loved by the crew and has a strong case to be number 1.
- Nier: Automata: Dat Nier super team of Alex, Ben, Jason and maybe Jeff and Brad are going to push Automata hard, but will only go as far as number 2. I have a feeling Abby will keep it from winning.
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I think Jeff's past complaints on this game will cost it from getting the top spot, but this will still rank high.
- Cuphead: Surely the indie GOTY for Giant Bomb.
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus: Everybody on GB has absolutely adored the story and moments in this game.
- Horizon: Zero Dawn: This will land on the list since Jeff loved it in his review and now the Frozen Wilds DLC is fresh on people's minds.
- Steamworld Dig 2: Jeff and Dan love this game and will push hard for it.
- Assassin's Creed Origins: This game is getting some traction now that nearly everyone has played SMO and Wolfy II. The crew seems generally positive on it too.
- Night in the Woods: Abby will actually try to push for Dream Daddy, but will settle for Night in the Woods as the third indie on the list with Alex helping her out.
- Tekken 7: A strange choice, but considering this was a decent year for fighting games, I think Jeff, Ben and Jason will push for what they think is the best fighter of 2017.