zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By zandravandra

Hey everyone! :D

Thanks to the great turnout and overall support the (only, now first) Giant ROM game jam received, there's going to be another one! So far it's looking like it'll take place in early December. Since the first one was a bit last-minute, I wanted to give those who needed it plenty of time to brush up their skills before the jam starts.

Hence this post! Let's share techniques, help fledging game devs learn the basics, and give those who want to team up a way to find each other. When the next jam rolls around, we'll all be a little more prepared, and the resulting games will be even more ridiculous and awesome!

The theme will be announced when the jam begins, so no need to plan your game already!

Resources

Teaming Up

If you're looking for others to team up with, here's a Google doc spreadsheet! Add your name and look for others to contact by giantbomb.com private message.

Help

If you want to give help, or need it, on a particular subject, you can also add that to the list above, or otherwise holler in the comments! I'll be checking periodically myself.

Let's get better at making games!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Great idea, I've got a silly idea for a puzzle game that I've been thinking about, maybe this is the year!

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Had lot of fun doing this last time and would like to do this again. Hopefully I can make something better now that I know more.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

December is good because that means my job will be winding down for winter vacation. Between the end of the last jam and now I've been learning and working with LibGDX in Android Studio. It's an improvement over Game Maker Studio in most ways since you're using Java instead of Studio's lame GML scripting language, but it's much less beginner friendly and demands that you know how to code properly and manage your assets.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't be part of the last game jam so I'm glad it's happening again! December is perfect, hopefully my chops will be better by that point.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Naoiko

The last one was awesome! Super looking forward to see what everyone comes up with.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hey, you're that dude from the thing.

I've watched half of Francis' series and dropped off. Need to get back on that wagon.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

Hey, you're that lady from the thing.

I've watched half of Francis' series and dropped off. Need to get back on that wagon.

Yup! Hi! :D

If you need any help getting back on the wagon, or if you come across any obstacles on the way, let us know and I'm sure somebody can help you get up to speed!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havochq said:

@ch3burashka said:

Hey, you're that lady from the thing.

Yup! Hi! :D

If you need any help getting back on the wagon, or if you come across any obstacles on the way, let us know and I'm sure somebody can help you get up to speed!

A deadline sure would help. Is this just a best-practices forum, or will it turn into a jam at some point?

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Like it says up top, the jam proper will start in December, so for now this is just to give a heads-up and help people get some practice and tips so they're ready for the jam!

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minor update: GAME MAKER PRO IS IN A $6 BUNDLE! Go check it out, because it is RIDICULOUSLY cheap at this price. It's a great time to get it and learn how it works so you can make something awesome when jam time comes! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone is looking for a programmer for the game jam then I'd love to help out, last time this went on I just didn't have a great idea worth pursuing.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havochq:It's also good to note that they're including the source code to a few notable games (e. g. Stealth Bastard Deluxe if you pay $12 or more) in that GameMaker Bundle.

Thought it might also be useful to mention the open source project Fungus; It's an easy-to-use story based game framework for Unity.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@havochq said:

Minor update: GAME MAKER PRO IS IN A $6 BUNDLE! Go check it out, because it is RIDICULOUSLY cheap at this price. It's a great time to get it and learn how it works so you can make something awesome when jam time comes! :D

Holy shit, this is great.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This is super handy, thank you! And, seriously, jump on that price for Game Maker Pro, holy crap! I'm hoping I can get a decent coding/design skillset in time for the next jam with Game maker.

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for letting us know. I think I'm going to try this out this year. It would be cool to finally try to make a game since Ive been thinking about starting for a good long time (I even downloaded the Unity and Unreal engine clients and have been sitting on them for a year). Bubsy 3d: Bubsy visits the James Turrell Retrospective REALLY made me want to try. Hopefully I'll be a part of this. Thanks again for the early heads up. If anything at least I now own Game Studio Pro. Lol.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looking forward to participating in the next one of these jams. :)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19 MattyFTM  Moderator

I was hoping to take part in the next game jam you did, but December is the worst possible time. I work in retail, so I'll be at work constantly. I'll have to see if I can scrape together enough free time to put something together, or I might have to wait until the next next Giant ROM.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great! Really enjoyed the first jam! Not sure I'll be able to join as December is also a bit hectic for me... but we'll see. I definitely want to participate again! :D

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zandravandra

@mattyftm said:

I was hoping to take part in the next game jam you did, but December is the worst possible time. I work in retail, so I'll be at work constantly. I'll have to see if I can scrape together enough free time to put something together, or I might have to wait until the next next Giant ROM.

Any game works, even one with a very small scope! :D That said, it's totally understandable if you don't have the time; it's why I want to keep organizing more than one a year, in order to maximize the chances of letting everybody participate.

Kalimando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kalimando

If anyone needs someone who can do 3D modeling, music, sfx, or voice acting (male) for this I am available. I would love to contribute to a game, but I have no coding knowledge at all.

poperamone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Looking to take part in any way I can. Loved the last games, soo random

nkornek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm not sure if I'll have time to make a game but I'm always down to help anyone with their C# and Unity questions.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the link to Construct 2, i had never heard of it before and it is pretty amazing.

I guess i would also add Unreal 4 to the mix, the blueprint system if you don't know how to program is pretty damn good if your willing to put the time into learning it. A lot of free information and tutorials available as well. It's completely free and they take only 5% if you start making over I think 5g's or so.

https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealDevelopmentKit/playlists

*thought i posted this hours ago, not sure if i forgot to hit post or some glitch happened lol

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got an idea for a dumb thing but I would need to be able to cut some audio/clips from GB videos. Does anybody know of any good free/cheap programs? I have zero experience with editing so something easy to learn would be great.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daddycabinet said:

I got an idea for a dumb thing but I would need to be able to cut some audio/clips from GB videos. Does anybody know of any good free/cheap programs? I have zero experience with editing so something easy to learn would be great.

I usually use Audacity to record audio from clips. It's free, and if you set the microphone to "Stereo Mix", it essentially records whatever's playing right now. For video, I think Windows Movie Maker can make some easy cuts. Best of luck! :D

Donuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Donuts

Thanks for putting all of this together!

Edit: Has anyone taken the voice samples the guys did on the podcast and placed them anywhere for download? If not I'd be willing to do it if I knew the podcast episodes

Avatar image for coltondaniels45
coltondaniels45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello! I'm looking to assist, QA, what have you! I'm trying to get into the game industry and anything I can do to put on my resume would be awesome. Here or even better @coltonrdaniels on Twitter. I can link to my resume and such if needed.

Teljoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For game music, I've used tracks by Eric Matyas from http://soundimage.org/ in previous game jams. A lot of the tracks have looping and non-looping versions, it's all free to download and sorted by genre/mood. Just make sure to credit it properly in the game itself (there's more info on the site).