Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By zandravandra

Giant ROM - The Giant Bomb Game Jam

What?

Welcome to the first (I guess?) Giant Bomb themed game jam! Since we're keeping it simple, there are just a few guidelines:

No Caption Provided
  • START: March 28th (don't start working before then)
  • END: April 5th (be sure to submit your game before that day ends)
  • Any theme goes, so long as it's related to Giant Bomb in some way
  • Do what you want, but please try not to be too crude or offensive -
    be a Giant Bomber, not a Giant Bummer!

So that's March 28th to April 5th - 9 days total, which includes two weekends. Hopefully that's enough to let as many people as possible make some really cool, really stupid games!

DUDER, IT'S OVER! THE JAM IS COMPLETE, SO CHECK OUT ALL THESE AWESOME GAMES PEOPLE HAVE MADE!

THERE MAY BE FABULOUS PRIZES MAKING THEIR WAY TO THE WINNERS!

How?

Any means necessary! Zoë Quinn's awesome sortingh.at site points to a ton of useful (and sometimes free!) resources for making games. Anybody can make a game! Heck, even me! :D

PixelProspector's Make Games site is also chock-full of tools and resources!

Handy Tools to Check Out

Anything is fair game! Not sure what to use? Here are some suggestions!

Tutorials

Awesome Stuff

Some wonderful users have made content available to help get your silly game started!

Where?

I'll be hosting the jam on itch.io, which has a terrific game jam feature! Everybody will be able to post their creations there, add them to the jam, and enter their team's details at the same time. There's even an integrated ranking system!

Are There Fabulous Prizes?

All participants will be able to rate the submissions using some GB-appropriate parameters, but all in good fun - this isn't meant to be a highly structured thing. There just may be cool things in store for the submissions that stand out in some way, so make that crazy thing you're thinking of!

Wait, What About the Cool Games That People Made Already?

Giant ROM Zero is live! If you've already made a game with a Giant Bomb theme, throw it in! This isn't the actual jam, just a place for games that were made before today!

WHAT NOW?

Organize in the comments and put your team together if you don't have one, so that when the jam begins, you're all set! Keep in mind it's also totally fine to make a game by yourself if you want to, no pressure!

See you when the jam begins! :D

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Choo choo!!!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Pretty interested in this... just getting into learning Gamemaker and making a game of my own but it'd be cool to collaborate with some others. The most intimidating part is doing it on your own!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've been planning on learning Game Maker for a while, but starting from scratch I doubt I could make anything playable in that timeframe. Especially since it's the run-up to Easter and I'll be super busy at work.

I mean, maybe I could put together something super simple and crude. Like Pong but with Jeff's head as the ball (that's a terrible idea, I'm not actually going to do that. It's going to be Vinny's head. Maybe).

Good luck to everyone taking part.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

"be a Giant Bomber, not a Giant Bummer!"

I read this in Vinny's voice.

leovaderdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By leovaderdotcom

uh oh... i think i really want to do this

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds interesting, but is there going to be no set theme? I know some people find that limiting but I've always kind of enjoyed working with them myself.

Also would highly suggest OpenFL for anyone making a 2D game that has experience using Flash in the past. It's basically a better version all-around and compiles to a variety of different platforms. http://www.openfl.org/

MasonL87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll look into this.

Sidenote: Just played Commander Ryckert. That was AMAZING!

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can program just about anything but art isn't really my strong suit, would anyone be willing to make some 3D models of the gang for use in Unity? I'd be happy to get them autorigged with Mixamo and share those result with the community, that way we should be able to easily attach some animations.

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH man. This is exciting.

Roger Wilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, shameless plug time.

Unity Cheshire Component

This is a little tool that I created for the Unity Asset Store. I can't say for certain that it would be useful for a game jam, as it is really more geared toward animating characters, and pre-scripted animated sequences. However, it is free, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. So if any of the Unity users want to take it for a spin in order to get some quick-and-dirty talking characters in their game, feel free.

The component also comes with a 3D model of a head, and an already-set-up sprite for a mouth. Both of these assets are free to use. (otherwise I wouldn't have included them in the tool) I created them myself, so I own the copyright. Anyone can download them from the Unity Asset Store and use them however they please. I can't guarantee that you will want to, neither of them is my best art. But I can guarantee that they both work just fine in the context that I'm using them in. If you have any talent for painting, you can re-paint the 3D model, that would definitely help it to look better.

Roger Wilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finstern said:

would anyone be willing to make some 3D models of the gang for use in Unity? I'd be happy to get them autorigged with Mixamo and share those result with the community, that way we should be able to easily attach some animations.

I can't paint textures to save my life. But when it comes to 3D modeling and sculpting, I'm actually pretty good. I'm not really interested in doing realistic 3D models, but if someone could post some of the "cartoon" interpretations of the giant-bomb gang, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at that. It wouldn't take me all that long to do a basic sculpting pass, retopology, and UV map. Mixamo's a good idea for the rigging, it plays nice with Unity.

dougonomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sounds rad. I know literally nothing about making games, but if there is anyone that wants some music written for their game, I would be down to throw something together.

bringBackPluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope this turns out great and becomes a regular-ish game jam! I'm out of town all next week, but I'd love to take part in another one (or maybe perhaps possibly maybe accept games after the deadline?).

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any artists that want to collabo? It's looking like I'll have to do the art and stuff myself which always takes way too much time and results in such bad quality.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Me and a friend are joining! We're two people both with Unity experience, but we're both busy with university and work so we'll probably only be doing something on the side, but we'll try to do something cool! :D

Thanks for organizing this :)

ogto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm gonna make a game where jeff has to organize his game collection by recognizing old games/coverart and sending them to the correct box. like tapper. maybe

ogto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also, if you need prizes i got some humble bundle codes leftover that i can volunteer

PROGRAM_IX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna try to make something for this. I'm a big lover of #onegameamonth so it could be my March game if I finish it in time. Hmmmm.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogto said:

also, if you need prizes i got some humble bundle codes leftover that i can volunteer

Hey, so do I! That's a great idea, thank you so much! :D PM me the details, I'll set up a prize pool.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By finstern

I can give 12 codes away for my Unity AutoBackup plugin. It's not for everyone, but I made it specifically because at game jams I always forget to save regularly for some reason...

@roger_wilco: It might be worth making them and someone may come along and texture them! Worse comes to worst we can texture them FF7 over world style :P

Would people like an FTP dump we can all share audio clips / art / misc stuff that could help?

PROGRAM_IX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PROGRAM_IX

Also as regards resources, if anyone's been wondering about HTML5 game development I suggest you try out Phaser, a really neat and free library that allows you to do plenty of things easily out of the box. The 'learn' page is here, in-browser editor is here, API is here and the comprehensive examples are here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone needs a programmer let me know, I want to participate in this but I honestly have no good ideas to use with the theme. Can reach me at forwardbackspace (at) gmail if you're interested. Good to work in 2d or 3d with Unity

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By salarn

Hello,

I'm an experienced programmer willing to help out people making projects in Unity 5, so if any team needs a little help drop me a PM and I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Also, if there are any art contributes out their looking to join a project, I'm planning on making a mock game combine Gods Will Be Watching and Mario Party where you manage the GB staff on the couch playing a mario party game.

Cheers

perrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@salarn said:

Also, if there are any art contributes out their looking to join a project, I'm planning on making a mock game combine Gods Will Be Watching and Mario Party where you manage the GB staff on the couch playing a mario party game.

This is a GREAT idea, I hope you make it as I really want to play that now.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By D4RKSH33P

Does itch.io have a method of loading up a Print-and-Play tabletop game?

McDayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to get in on this. Am I to understand there is not an overall theme to be announced? That's one of my favorite parts of LD Jam. It forces you to come up with a design idea on the spot when it starts. With out it, I have a hard time filtering ideas...

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zandravandra

I think you can set it up as a downloadable! It will pretty much accept any sort of zip file, so maybe that would work?

PROGRAM_IX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PROGRAM_IX
@mcdayman said:

I'd like to get in on this. Am I to understand there is not an overall theme to be announced? That's one of my favorite parts of LD Jam. It forces you to come up with a design idea on the spot when it starts. With out it, I have a hard time filtering ideas...

I think 'Giant Bomb' is a more explicit theme than most Ludum Dare themes are already. Getting more specific than that might risk being too restrictive.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havochq: That would be fine. PDFs in a zip file is my goal then.

EloiSing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey!

If anyone needs any 8-bit music/sounds for a game let me know! I've got a few tracks on Soundcloud at the moment if you want to hear some

www.soundcloud.com/matthewsquibb

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sinusoidal

Dammit, my MGS4 play through is just going to have to wait.

It's the 28th in an hour and 15 minutes here.

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'll probably be cobbling something together in Twine.

That sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d4rksh33p said:

That sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

Have you ever looked into inkle? Seems like an even simpler platform for choose your own adventure type things. It's the storytelling backend to some good iphone games like 80 Days and the Sorcery series. I haven't ever actually written a full story, but went through the tutorial. You can pretty easily create branching path stories with simple variables to store player choices. And it's free!

@havochq It might be worth adding inkelwriter to the list of game tools as well as Twine.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Maybe I can use this as an excuse to learn the basics of Ren'Py. Problem is I'd need help with the art side of things or just slap up a public domain background and ride it out that way.

Roger Wilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A fine idea. There's always some debate over how much of a game interactive fiction really is. But I always loved choose-your-own-adventures. I actually tried Twine out the other week for the first time, and found it marvelously easy to get into. The advantage of a tool like Twine for a game jam is that it lets you skip directly to content creation.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havochq: You should add http://kenney.nl/ for resources. The guy has a ton of CC licensed graphics that can be used!

Crispy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna be participating in this along with the very talented @aurahack and Nat Lee! Looking forward to it.

(P.S. If you're an experienced composer or SFX artist and you're interested in helping out, drop me a line on Twitter: @CrispyLovesYou)

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck to all participants!

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BigDaddyTool

Non-programming types might want to try Stencyl, which is a free & easy way to make Flash games.

Think I might make something with Dr. Tracksuit since I already have the art from putting him in another game of mine.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't be in for this one, but hopefully it will turn out well and another one will happen, can't wait to check out what everyone makes either way! :)

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: Oh cool! :D Would it be possible for you to put them up on itch.io so they can be added to the Giant ROM Zero anthology?

OwlBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm in.

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in, but I am probably going to need some help with imagery. Otherwise the puppy petting simulator is going to have a Thomas Was Alone vibe.

Not that there is anything wrong with Thomas Was Alone, it is an awesome game, but those blocky edges would be a bit too sharp to pet.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I have zero inspiration for this. I've spent time thinking about a game to make but I'm coming up blank :( so here's what I'm gonna do:

if anyone needs a Unity C# programmer I'm available and I have a lot of free time to work on a game this coming week. If you're an artist or designer who doesn't know how to code or just a programmer who needs an extra pair of hands I'm up for any idea you might have!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got some good work done today on my game. Unfortunately not a whole lot because I had previous engagements that took up most of the day, but things are looking good so far. At least story, animation and some asset creation stuff. Hopefully I'll get around to actual game play tomorrow. Whatever that's going to be...

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone able to provide me with a side on Matt Rorie drawing?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on where I can get drawings of doggies from the side view?

perrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starting on my game tomorrow as I'm pretty busy today. Will post some initial screenshots once I'm up and running. Not quite ready to say what it is yet as I wanna get the initial setup done to check it's all gonna work.